inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Malls are Extinct

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/19/20 at 2:01 pm

Just took a walk over to the local mall. They may as well pack it in. Almost all the stores are closed by order of the Governor, and they were not doing that great before. Unfortunately... stick a fork in it  :\'(

Subject: Re: Malls are Extinct

Written By: Sman12 on 04/19/20 at 4:13 pm

Malls (and department stores) will gradually reopen after this, but I think the trend of more people shopping online and further deteriorating the need of going to a mall complex will continue, and even more so thanks to massive furloughs by these stores.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/19/20 at 4:21 pm

I won't miss them. They are so 80s. Think of all those bad 80s teen movies where kids were always "going to the mall". Ugh. Not the most inspiring place to hang out. Malls are such a controlled environment. And they're all all chain stores in malls. And "food courts" full of fast food, one worse than the other. Uck.  I like freestanding stores.  And, of course, online shopping offers a far wider variety of absolutely everything than a mall ever could. I basically say good riddance to malls.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/19/20 at 7:34 pm

I won't miss them. They are so 80s. Think of all those bad 80s teen movies where kids were always "going to the mall". Ugh. Not the most inspiring place to hang out. Malls are such a controlled environment. And they're all all chain stores in malls. And "food courts" full of fast food, one worse than the other. Uck.  I like freestanding stores.  And, of course, online shopping offers a far wider variety of absolutely everything than a mall ever could. I basically say good riddance to malls.

I used to look forward to mall trips, but the older I get being around so many people gets more and more bothersome, all that energy in one place is overwhelming. Still, I would NOT want to see everything offered online only, as you have to try clothing on before you buy it and it is nice to sit in a book store with some coffee and read some of the books before you decide whether to get them. Plus it's nice just to leave the house. The food courts and bright lights and crowds however can just go, along with those pain in the rump people trying to get you to buy something when you walk past their stand. Ick! Shopping isn't the most fun activity you can do with a friend.

Written By: Blue Monday on 04/19/20 at 8:12 pm

Agree completely with all of this.  As an '80's kid, I have not-so-fond memories of going to "The Mall".  I never liked them then, and they have just deteriorated over the years.  More recently, they have become havens for crime/criminal activity.    Some malls in my area have closed/been torn down, and I'm glad.  Screw them.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/19/20 at 8:58 pm

I used to look forward to mall trips, but the older I get being around so many people gets more and more bothersome, all that energy in one place is overwhelming. Still, I would NOT want to see everything offered online only, as you have to try clothing on before you buy it and it is nice to sit in a book store with some coffee and read some of the books before you decide whether to get them. Plus it's nice just to leave the house. The food courts and bright lights and crowds however can just go, along with those pain in the rump people trying to get you to buy something when you walk past their stand. Ick! Shopping isn't the most fun activity you can do with a friend.

The general disappearance of bookstores is something I am sorry about. Even with the large selection available on Amazon and other sites I always enjoy browsing in bookstores. Both new and used. Used bookstores can be a treasure trove. I love the book sections that can often be found in thrift shops also.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/20 at 11:53 pm

Malls were still going strong in Canada before this virus hit. I hope they don't lose their steam. I like going to the mall.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 3:02 am

Just took a walk over to the local mall. They may as well pack it in. Almost all the stores are closed by order of the Governor, and they were not doing that great before. Unfortunately... stick a fork in it  :\'(
Hopefully only temporary.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/20/20 at 3:43 am

Malls are just as popular as ever imo with way more stores on average than in previous eras. I’ve traveled to many places and states.

Outside of corona, its quite the opposite from what I’m noticing the gentrified style mega malls have been the new thing since the late 2000s/early 2010s and will keep growing it seems.

The old style malls and mini malls are going extinct have been for some time.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/20 at 4:14 am

Malls (and department stores) will gradually reopen after this, but I think the trend of more people shopping online and further deteriorating the need of going to a mall complex will continue, and even more so thanks to massive furloughs by these stores.

Online shopping is the new thing now, nobody really wants to go out but they'd rather shop at home where it's safer.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/20 at 4:17 am

It used to be fun going to mall with a friend and hanging out for hours on end but now things have changed but people rather be hang out at home doing shopping online.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/20 at 4:18 am

The general disappearance of bookstores is something I am sorry about. Even with the large selection available on Amazon and other sites I always enjoy browsing in bookstores. Both new and used. Used bookstores can be a treasure trove. I love the book sections that can often be found in thrift shops also.

Do people still read books?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 4:23 am

Do people still read books?
Some people do, especially now, it helps to past the time.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/20 at 4:42 am

Some people do, especially now, it helps to past the time.

I have books on my shelf but I don't read them anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 5:07 am

I have books on my shelf but I don't read them anymore.
I have started to read some of my books, but I cannot concentrate and my eyes ache.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/20/20 at 7:10 am

I have started to read some of my books, but I cannot concentrate and my eyes ache.

I find the battery thing to be an issue. I prefer physical copies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 7:23 am

I find the battery thing to be an issue. I prefer physical copies.
You do not link Kindles? I have never tried on, preferring my books on the shelf.

Written By: 2001 on 04/20/20 at 10:44 pm

You do not link Kindles? I have never tried on, preferring my books on the shelf.

I don't have a Kindle, but I do have a Kobo which is similar.

I do ultimately prefer physical books, but eReaders have their uses. They are lightweight and more portable; I can put mine in my jacket pocket. They also let you borrow books digitally from the library, which is a lot more convenient than going there to borrow it and having to pay late fees when returning late. My Kobo also integrates with Pocket, which is basically an app where you bookmark articles on the Internet that you want to read later. I like saving all sorts of encyclopedia articles, news articles, or blog posts and then reading them before bed. Much better than reading on a computer screen before bed! (most eInk eReaders don't have a backlight).

But like I said, ideally, I prefer having a physical book. The feeling of having a book in your hand is just too good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 5:24 am

I don't have a Kindle, but I do have a Kobo which is similar.

I do ultimately prefer physical books, but eReaders have their uses. They are lightweight and more portable; I can put mine in my jacket pocket. They also let you borrow books digitally from the library, which is a lot more convenient than going there to borrow it and having to pay late fees when returning late. My Kobo also integrates with Pocket, which is basically an app where you bookmark articles on the Internet that you want to read later. I like saving all sorts of encyclopedia articles, news articles, or blog posts and then reading them before bed. Much better than reading on a computer screen before bed! (most eInk eReaders don't have a backlight).

But like I said, ideally, I prefer having a physical book. The feeling of having a book in your hand is just too good.
Here in the UK, the bookshop Waterstones are now providing a home delivery of books, also it was the same bookstore that was my favourite to place to visit at my shopping mall, it then became HMV, and I struggle to think what is there now.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 7:46 am

I just keep mine for show.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/21/20 at 8:44 am

Yes same here I love physical books and magazines. Especially secondhand ones.

I can’t imagine reading mad magazine on a tablet.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/21/20 at 8:47 am

Here in the UK, the bookshop Waterstones are now providing a home delivery of books, also it was the same bookstore that was my favourite to place to visit at my shopping mall, it then became HMV, and I struggle to think what is there now.

Waterstones in London has a really big and wide selection last time I went there a few years ago. They sometimes keep older books which is good as they can be more expensive to order online.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 8:52 am

Waterstones in London has a really big and wide selection last time I went there a few years ago. They sometimes keep older books which is good as they can be more expensive to order online.
Last time I was there I saw the book I wanted, but it was too heavy to carry home, so I missed out on it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 9:18 am

Last time I was there I saw the book I wanted, but it was too heavy to carry home, so I missed out on it.
I now have to wait to find in a secondhand or charity bookshop now.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/21/20 at 9:56 am

Same here. Thankfully I have a huge stash I accumulated from resales. Also a pallet full of them in the basement that I moved from the old house 4 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 10:22 am

When it comes to the classic of literature, I prefer to see the film, then compare the differences online.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 2:25 pm

magazines were best read by hand.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/20 at 2:27 pm

An eReader would have come in handy there :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 2:29 pm

An eReader would have come in handy there :D
It is a definite book for my shelf.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 2:29 pm

Same here. Thankfully I have a huge stash I accumulated from resales. Also a pallet full of them in the basement that I moved from the old house 4 years ago.

I got a huge bunch of Playboys My Brother and I collected and stored in one of those plastic boxes and I think the first one he had was when Donald Trump was on the cover in 1990.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0E0AAOSwopRYgy63/s-l300.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/20 at 5:50 pm

I got a huge bunch of Playboys My Brother and I collected and stored in one of those plastic boxes and I think the first one he had was when Donald Trump was on the cover in 1990.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0E0AAOSwopRYgy63/s-l300.jpg

Didn’t know you had a brother, Howard.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/20 at 4:27 am

Didn’t know you had a brother, Howard.

He passed away 25 years ago, He left me a lot of his Playboys he collected that he got in the mail.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/20 at 4:55 am

He passed away 25 years ago, He left me a lot of his Playboys he collected that he got in the mail.

Sorry to hear about him passing away Howard.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...