inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ...and the winner is...?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/20 at 2:33 pm

The body behind the Oscars has changed its rules so films that debut on streaming or video on demand services are eligible for next year's awards. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' current rules say films can only enter if they have been shown in a Los Angeles cinema for at least a week. But with cinemas shut during the coronavirus crisis, organisers said a "temporary" exception was necessary. Many film releases have been delayed, with others going straight to digital. "The Academy firmly believes there is no greater way to experience the magic of movies than to see them in a theatre," said Academy president David Rubin and chief executive Dawn Hudson. Nonetheless, the historically tragic Covid-19 pandemic necessitates this temporary exception to our awards eligibility rules." The Academy said the exemption would end when cinemas reopen. In recent years, the Oscars have admitted films made by streaming services like Netflix and Amazon - but only if they have also had a cinema release.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52468176

Subject: Re: Oscars change streaming rules amid battle for future of cinemas

Written By: Sman12 on 04/29/20 at 6:54 pm

While I think that the Oscars is a circlejerk of tone-deaf celebrities, I can obviously see what they did that. This pandemic pretty much changed everything.

Subject: Re: Oscars change streaming rules amid battle for future of cinemas

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/30/20 at 9:44 pm

Trevor Noah mentioned it on the Daily Social Distancing Show. He was like if they only nominated movies that played in theaters, then Sonic the Hedgehog would win all the Oscars, lol.

Subject: Oscars 2021: The winners in full

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/21 at 1:05 am

Film drama Nomadland has scooped three Oscars including best picture, while British stars Sir Anthony Hopkins and Daniel Kaluuya have won acting awards.

Nomadland's Chloe Zhao made history as the first woman of colour and second woman to win best female director.

Sir Anthony, 83, is the oldest winner of best actor, while Kaluuya is the first black British actor to win an Oscar - for the best supporting award.

British actress-turned-writer/director Emerald Fennell won a screenplay award.

She won best original screenplay for Promising Young Woman, which she also directed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56882958

Oscars 2021: The winners in full

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56372153

I made no predictions on the winners this year as I did not managed to see the majority of the nominated film.

Check for new replies or respond here...