inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video Glasses are getting significantly better

Written By: duenas8 on 05/04/20 at 7:18 pm

Video glasses have been doing around for a while, since the Google Glass to Snapchat’s Spectacles in the mid 2010’s, but the price and the short length of the recordings have always been an obstacle to get this technology mainstream. Now, in 2020 it seems video glasses (or spy glasses) are finally showing an improvement in terms of specs and price and probably we will see these devices finally take off around 2020-2022.
If you’re interested you can see many chinese models on ebay that can record in 1080p with 1hr of length, also the Spectacles 3 3D are available and cost $380.

https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_991622-MLC29229666847_012019-O.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSwCG-tZzXVVWdaIEZ1i5rB5Epa4veElEwDxA9yJOcNTFARVK6J&usqp=CAU

Subject: Re: Video Glasses are getting significantly better

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 3:01 am

Video glasses have been doing around for a while, since the Google Glasses to Snapchat’s Spectacles in the mid 2010’s, but the price and the short length of the recordings have always been an obstacle to get this technology mainstream. Now, in 2020 it seems video glasses (or spy glasses) are finally showing an improvement in terms of specs and price and probably we will see these devices finally take off around 2020-2022.
If you’re interested you can see many chinese models on ebay that can record in 1080p with 1hr of length, also the Spectacles 3 3D are available and cost $380.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSwCG-tZzXVVWdaIEZ1i5rB5Epa4veElEwDxA9yJOcNTFARVK6J&usqp=CAU
Does secret videoing/filming breach the Data Protection Acts?

With CCTV, it has to be publicly displayed on notices that cameras are operating in the area.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/05/20 at 4:14 am

Does secret videoing/filming breach the Data Protection Acts?

With CCTV, it has to be publicly displayed on notices that cameras are operating in the area.

They will have to update the act very soon, before this tech becomes mainstream. Smart glasses will be the privacy nightmare of the decade

Written By: Sman12 on 05/05/20 at 7:01 am

I've seen some of them online, and they look pretty cool. I won't be surprised if they ever catch on in the future.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 7:13 am

I've seen some of them online, and they look pretty cool. I won't be surprised if they ever catch on in the future.
...a good chance to breach illegal videoing at concerts or films?

Written By: Howard on 05/05/20 at 7:37 am

They kind of remind me of spy glasses.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/05/20 at 9:02 am

I'm not sure how movie theaters will stay open after this (and the abrupt AMC decision to ban Universal movies from their theaters), but that's definitely a concern of mine for these glasses.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 9:08 am

I'm not sure how movie theaters will stay open after this (and the abrupt AMC decision to ban Universal movies from their theaters), but that's definitely a concern of mine for these glasses.
There again, the wearing of glasses cannot be banned in auditorium for concerts, films, shows etc, for people need to wear glasses to naturally see.

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/05/20 at 9:10 am

Yes, I have a pair of these. They are very bulky but still unsuspecting. If people notice, most will assume you are wearing them as a fashion statement.

I've used them to record test answers for university papers and post them online, and so have other students, and no one has caught on yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 9:43 am

Yes, I have a pair of these. They are very bulky but still unsuspecting. If people notice, most will assume you are wearing them as a fashion statement.

I've used them to record test answers for university papers and post them online, and so have other students, and no one has caught on yet.
Surely people will notice a new pair of glasses just for taking exams, etc?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/05/20 at 9:54 am

Here's my prediction. I think if they were to be popular items, and if school and college officials were to know about their features, classroom teachers will probably ban them.

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/05/20 at 10:01 am

You're forgetting that in University most people don't know each other because there are so many of us around. Although, there are a few people you take note of, and you could be one of those people that someone else can recognize, so you have to be careful. But today, with the constant emphasis on being accepting of others appearances and not judging someone based off their physical appearance or their choice of apparel, no one will say anything, and everyone is too busy caring for themselves to pay any real attention to someone else. Especially during an exam, you don't want to be caught staring at someone else, because your sole focus should be your own paper, which is what most people do. The proctors are too busy walking around to pay attention to one specific person, that is unless if you draw too much unwanted attention to yourself.

Anyways, these are the ones I have, they have an outdated style because they are from 2012, when 2000s style wide rectangular frames were still the norm.https://i.ytimg.com/vi/52UFPR8fxXU/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 11:08 am

You're forgetting that in University most people don't know each other because there are so many of us around. Although, there are a few people you take note of, and you could be one of those people that someone else can recognize, so you have to be careful. But today, with the constant emphasis on being accepting of others appearances and not judging someone based off their physical appearance or their choice of apparel, no one will say anything, and everyone is too busy caring for themselves to pay any real attention to someone else. Especially during an exam, you don't want to be caught staring at someone else, because your sole focus should be your own paper, which is what most people do. The proctors are too busy walking around to pay attention to one specific person, that is unless if you draw too much unwanted attention to yourself.

Anyways, these are the ones I have, they have an outdated style because they are from 2012, when 2000s style wide rectangular frames were still the norm.https://i.ytimg.com/vi/52UFPR8fxXU/maxresdefault.jpg
Those in control of the exams will know which type of glasses to look out for?

Written By: Howard on 05/05/20 at 2:24 pm

Will you be able to record using the glasses?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 2:27 pm

Video glasses have been doing around for a while, since the Google Glass to Snapchat’s Spectacles in the mid 2010’s, but the price and the short length of the recordings have always been an obstacle to get this technology mainstream. Now, in 2020 it seems video glasses (or spy glasses) are finally showing an improvement in terms of specs and price and probably we will see these devices finally take off around 2020-2022.

How do you switch the video to start and stop, pause ,etc on the glasses?

Written By: Howard on 05/05/20 at 2:27 pm

There again, the wearing of glasses cannot be banned in auditorium for concerts, films, shows etc, for people need to wear glasses to naturally see.

You can just say that they're prescriptions.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/20 at 2:28 pm

Just say I need them for reading.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 2:29 pm

You can just say that they're prescriptions.
Those in authority will know which type of glasses to look out for?

Written By: Howard on 05/05/20 at 2:29 pm

Here's my prediction. I think if they were to be popular items, and if school and college officials were to know about their features, classroom teachers will probably ban them.

You can easily lie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 2:35 pm

Just say I need them for reading.
You have to be using the glasses a long time before the exam so that the glasses are a part of your appearance, a sudden change of glasses sounds suspicious.

Written By: 2001 on 05/05/20 at 5:23 pm

My boss had Google Glass back in 2016. It was fun for a while but it got old fast. The video quality was really bad. I wouldn't mind one for recording my cycling views. Adjusting a GoPro every time something beautiful appears on the side of the road feels cumbersome.

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/06/20 at 7:47 am

How do you switch the video to start and stop, pause ,etc on the glasses?

For mine there is a single button at the side which you use to turn on the glasses along with a LED light to indicate the mode its in. Depending on the number of clicks and what state the glasses is currently in you can turn on the glasses, take pictures, star recording videos, stop recording, and turn off the glasses.

You have to be using the glasses a long time before the exam so that the glasses are a part of your appearance, a sudden change of glasses sounds suspicious.

That's only for those who even have the time to pay attention. In today's world, where everyone is too busy staring at their phone or minding their own business, no one will really care for a sudden change in appearance aside from those you are friends with, and they will not rat you out if you told them. Everyone wears weird clothing these days so  strangers wont notice you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 7:52 am

That's only for those who even have the time to pay attention. In today's world, where everyone is too busy staring at their phone or minding their own business, no one will really care for a sudden change in appearance aside from those you are friends with, and they will not rat you out if you told them. Everyone wears weird clothing these days so  strangers wont notice you.
I am not saying that friends will not notice any difference, it is the officials in charge of the exams, etc, watching out for particular make and design of Google Glasses etc?

Written By: karen on 05/06/20 at 8:26 am

What is the point in posting photos of the uni exams on line? It doesn’t benefit you, in fact if caught you could potentially be thrown off your course.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 8:59 am

What is the point in posting photos of the uni exams on line? It doesn’t benefit you, in fact if caught you could potentially be thrown off your course.
Not only that, by the time of the posting photos, the exam will be over, and everyone who was sitting the exam has done the exam, and the need to know the answers to the questions is a needless cause.

Written By: karen on 05/06/20 at 3:29 pm

Not only that, by the time of the posting photos, the exam will be over, and everyone who was sitting the exam has done the exam, and the need to know the answers to the questions is a needless cause.

Except some lecturers are lazy and will recycle questions. Still doesn’t benefit the person posting photographs of the exam paper though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 3:32 pm

For mine there is a single button at the side which you use to turn on the glasses along with a LED light to indicate the mode its in. Depending on the number of clicks and what state the glasses is currently in you can turn on the glasses, take pictures, star recording videos, stop recording, and turn off the glasses.

Do the glasses make a clicking noise when the button is applied?

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/20 at 5:00 pm

Psychological egoists might want to take a look at this thread if they think true altruism doesn't exist eh :o

Written By: karen on 05/07/20 at 5:48 am

Psychological egoists might want to take a look at this thread if they think true altruism doesn't exist eh :o

I believe that people are altruistic. I just don’t think publishing exams is the right way to go about it.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/20 at 8:10 am

You don't want to seem suspicious.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 3:27 pm

There would have to be glasses on your recent student ID card?

Check for new replies or respond here...