inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is this a wake-up call for social interaction?

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/05/20 at 9:24 am

I know that everyone is currently holed up inside due to the quarentine or self isolation. The only way we communicate is through technology, such as smartphones, the internet and social media. But over the last 10 years, this has become the norm. So why are people making such a big deal about it?

It was normal to hang out with other people and do nothing but stare at your phone screens throughout the entire duration with very little conversation. Now that we aren't interacting with others at all, why do we seem to be more unhappy? Did we have this coming? Do we now realize that digital interaction isn't the same as physical interaction? Do we only care because we had the option to be social before, but rarely chose to do it, and now we don't?

What is the lesson we will learn from social distancing, if we are still using our smartphones in the precense of our friends and family after the quarentine is over? Do you think things will go back to being the same? Or do you think we will finally realize that we need phsyvial interaction because we have become tired of doing it digitally? Or do you think this will only accelerate what has already been established, that we will become even more distant and even more reliant on digital communication?

Subject: Re: Is this a wake-up call for social interaction?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/05/20 at 9:46 am

A good question/observation! As someone who pre-dates smartphones, internet and social media, someone who comes from the true period of people being fully present with each other, my thought is  that although there are any number of things that will be irrevocably changed/altered by the virus, the way people have communicated or related to each other in the past ten years or so will not change. Why? Because it's the only thing they know! To people who only know the era of being with people while staring at their phones, that IS "being with people". So when they say "I can't wait to be back out here interacting" what they mean is the way they've always done it.Being with someone while both stare at phones. The genie is out of the bottle with that and it cannot be put back in. I do not see that people will suddenly be out there with their phones buried well  away in their pockets, staring each other in the eye, saying "let's relate fully to each other" as if it were 1977 again. I mean, can you honestly see that happening?

That leads me to another metaphysical question...again as someone who pre-dates all this, I often wonder when I see the ridiculous site of two people with each other, or a group of friends with each other, completely ignoring each other as they stare silently at their phones...WHO are all these "other people", or other circumstances going on, that are so much more important than the people you actually made arrangements to be with,  that you must constantly know what thy are doing by looking at your phone? People complain that they are unfulfilled by this mode of relating to people, but, again, I do not see it changing because at this point  it cannot.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/05/20 at 9:51 am

I think people are upset because of the restrictions on things that they've freely done before, like going out to eat, physical interaction with friends, going to a theme park, going to work for income, being in open spaces, and so on.

This is why there are so many protests to reopen, and it's because of the dire need to pay mortgages, bills, and other necessities. While I think that we should reopen safely, I don't agree we should reopen quickly. And that's my latest fear out of all of this: a resurgence or second wave of new cases.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/20 at 2:33 pm

I think us people need social interaction, we can't be stuck in our homes much too long, it's bad for our immune system, We need to walk and enjoy the outside fresh air cause staying cooped up isn't doing us much good except raiding the refrigerator for food most of the time which I've been doing.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/05/20 at 2:36 pm

I think us people need social interaction, we can't be stuck in our homes much too long, it's bad for our immune system, We need to walk and enjoy the outside fresh air cause staying cooped up isn't doing us much good except raiding the refrigerator for food most of the time which I've been doing.

I agree, too much time indoors isn't good at all. I went out today because we have beautiful weather. Did some shopping, and even engaged in a conversation with a couple of people. We had our masks on of course. I missed going out and greeting people in the morning.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/20 at 2:57 pm

I agree, too much time indoors isn't good at all. I went out today because we have beautiful weather. Did some shopping, and even engaged in a conversation with a couple of people. We had our masks on of course. I missed going out and greeting people in the morning.

The only thing I do is just going to work then coming straight home afterwards.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 2:58 pm

Same for me, not work, but straight to where I need to go, and straight back home.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/05/20 at 3:01 pm

Same for me, not work, but straight to where I need to go, and straight back home.

I do that too.

Written By: nally on 05/05/20 at 3:20 pm

I do that too.

For the past five weeks I have been working, but remotely from home.

Written By: 2001 on 05/05/20 at 5:20 pm

A good question/observation! As someone who pre-dates smartphones, internet and social media, someone who comes from the true period of people being fully present with each other, my thought is  that although there are any number of things that will be irrevocably changed/altered by the virus, the way people have communicated or related to each other in the past ten years or so will not change. Why? Because it's the only thing they know! To people who only know the era of being with people while staring at their phones, that IS "being with people". So when they say "I can't wait to be back out here interacting" what they mean is the way they've always done it.Being with someone while both stare at phones. The genie is out of the bottle with that and it cannot be put back in. I do not see that people will suddenly be out there with their phones buried well  away in their pockets, staring each other in the eye, saying "let's relate fully to each other" as if it were 1977 again. I mean, can you honestly see that happening?

That leads me to another metaphysical question...again as someone who pre-dates all this, I often wonder when I see the ridiculous site of two people with each other, or a group of friends with each other, completely ignoring each other as they stare silently at their phones...WHO are all these "other people", or other circumstances going on, that are so much more important than the people you actually made arrangements to be with,  that you must constantly know what thy are doing by looking at your phone? People complain that they are unfulfilled by this mode of relating to people, but, again, I do not see it changing because at this point  it cannot.

I have friends who do this "stare at their phone" even though I'm talking right at them. Usually they are on some social media app talking to someone else, which adds insult to injury.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/05/20 at 6:01 pm

I have friends who do this "stare at their phone" even though I'm talking right at them. Usually they are on some social media app talking to someone else, which adds insult to injury.  ::)

That's exactly my point. HOWEVER, if they were actually WITH the person they are talking to on the social media app they would still be looking at their screen and talking to YOU on social media, for example. It doesn't really matter who is on what end. So there is this eternal "otherness" going on. Nobody ever really mentions that existential aspect of it. It's like there is this eternal "elsewhere" always going on. 

Written By: wixness on 05/05/20 at 6:57 pm

For me it won't really change since I much prefer to talk to people online - far easier to find people I have in common with even if it really messes up with my sleep because such people can span time zones.
I can understand that face-to-face is most natural for people but I find it's much much easier to make connections based on interests and other common motives online and I kind of prefer to associate with such people anyway. It may be also easier to avoid people who you don't like as it's as simple as blocking the offending individual.
I kind of  hope it may wake some people up though for those more comfortable talking to those face to face since I guess it does feel nostalgic doing that. Also read some article today where those who are deafblind lose out a lot being unable to touch people since it's one of their few or only mediums of communication, and those without tech can really lose out.

Written By: wixness on 05/05/20 at 6:59 pm

For health reasons I do need to go out too from time to time at least. The UK has a reasonable approach to quarantine, allowing people to go out for limited reasons, one of which does allow for people to get a breath of fresh air.

Written By: nally on 05/05/20 at 11:55 pm

For health reasons I do need to go out too from time to time at least. The UK has a reasonable approach to quarantine, allowing people to go out for limited reasons, one of which does allow for people to get a breath of fresh air.

I, too, go outside for limited periods of time in the US; this enables me to get fresh air, which is good for me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 2:19 am

It is a beautiful sunny day today, but I have to stay in, if all was normal there would be cricket to see and a met up with friends.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/06/20 at 9:34 am

I honestly think that social interaction (or lack thereof thanks to the inclusion of smartphones) will remain the same after this crisis is over. The youth's way of chatting with their friends while also looking down on their phones won't likely change for a while.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/06/20 at 4:30 pm

I live near one of the biggest urban parks in Europe and it was packed today. Kinda feels like the general public are deciding to relax the lockdown themselves.

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/20 at 4:47 pm

I'm kinda scared some of my friends will use "social distancing" as a reason to not hang out with me even after this lockdown is over ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 05/06/20 at 4:52 pm

I'm kinda scared some of my friends will use "social distancing" as a reason to not hang out with me even after this lockdown is over ;D

Made me laugh!  ;D

Written By: nally on 05/06/20 at 6:15 pm

It is a beautiful sunny day today, but I have to stay in, if all was normal there would be cricket to see and a met up with friends.

Similarly, there'd be sport events in the USA too, such as baseball games for millions of fans to see.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/06/20 at 11:56 pm

I live near one of the biggest urban parks in Europe and it was packed today. Kinda feels like the general public are deciding to relax the lockdown themselves.

I had to go pick up my meds today before work. I couldn’t believe the traffic. Even with the stay at home order still in force thru May 15 and practically all businesses still closed. And it’s not even summer yet. But then again since the rest of this school year has been cancelled, everybody who would have waited to come here is probably already here now on vacation. Well the joke is on them if they came here for nice weather because the snow returns Thursday thru the weekend.

Written By: 2001 on 05/07/20 at 12:05 am

I had to go pick up my meds today before work. I couldn’t believe the traffic. Even with the stay at home order still in force thru May 15 and practically all businesses still closed. And it’s not even summer yet. But then again since the rest of this school year has been cancelled, everybody who would have waited to come here is probably already here now on vacation. Well the joke is on them if they came here for nice weather because the snow returns Thursday thru the weekend.

It's going to snow on the weekend here too. People have been calling for the lockdown to be lifted because it's spring but Mother Nature is protecting us from our own stupidity ;D

Written By: wixness on 05/07/20 at 4:56 am

I'm thinking of using that as an excuse to go out with a mask even after the pandemic, that or air pollution (because businesses will want to revive the economy even to the point it will cost the earth and people will have to get back to work again).

I hear some countries are easing the lockdown as the number of new cases declines.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 5:10 am

I'm thinking of using that as an excuse to go out with a mask even after the pandemic, that or air pollution (because businesses will want to revive the economy even to the point it will cost the earth and people will have to get back to work again).

I hear some countries are easing the lockdown as the number of new cases declines.

If some of the lockdown restrictions are lifted on Monday here in the UK, I am still staying at home, being precarious, for having an at risk condition I have been recommended to self isolate for 12 weeks. I just fear for the worse out there, the virus can still be lurking around out there.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/20 at 8:13 am

Tell them to pay attention!

Written By: Howard on 05/07/20 at 8:14 am

I, too, go outside for limited periods of time in the US; this enables me to get fresh air, which is good for me.

I've been taking brisk walks during the morning hours on my days off.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/20 at 8:17 am

I don't understand why your friends just can't hang out for a brief period.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/20 at 8:18 am

I think we need social interaction, it's a part of us to do so.

Written By: wixness on 05/07/20 at 9:34 am

If some of the lockdown restrictions are lifted on Monday here in the UK, I am still staying at home, being precarious, for having an at risk condition I have been recommended to self isolate for 12 weeks. I just fear for the worse out there, the virus can still be lurking around out there.
I wish to preserve my anonymity in some places (mostly to avoid relationship issues with a variety people I could come across) with regards to the easing of the lockdown. I'd still likely stay at home though too since I have nowhere to go to even though I'm quite desperate to move out.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/07/20 at 9:34 am

Similarly, there'd be sport events in the USA too, such as baseball games for millions of fans to see.

Sports venues are probably gonna open up to 25%-50% capacity or no fans in the stadiums at all, as things start to reopen.

Written By: nally on 05/07/20 at 10:58 am

Sports venues are probably gonna open up to 25%-50% capacity or no fans in the stadiums at all, as things start to reopen.

I would think so. But no one knows when that's gonna happen yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 12:01 pm

I would think so. But no one knows when that's gonna happen yet.
Earlier today I phone the membership office of my cricket club, and told it is all still in the wind, nobody knows, but are waiting on the announcement by PM Boris Johnson on Sunday.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/20 at 2:33 pm

What about wrestling events?

Written By: violet_shy on 05/07/20 at 3:34 pm

Earlier today I phone the membership office of my cricket club, and told it is all still in the wind, nobody knows, but are waiting on the announcement by PM Boris Johnson on Sunday.

Hope they announce some good news! I actually like Cricket...I like to watch.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 3:39 pm

Hope they announce some good news! I actually like Cricket...I like to watch.  :)
Did you know that cricket was played in the USA before baseball took over, and in Canada too, but there is general colder and ice hockey took over.

BTW, on wiki:

"The Canadian cricket team in the United States in 1844 was both the first official international cricket match and the first official international game of any sport. The match between the two national teams was billed as ‘United States of America versus the British Empire's Canadian Province’. The match took place between 24 and 26 September 1844 at the St George's Cricket Club's ground at what is now 30th Street and Broadway (then Bloomingdales) in Manhattan.

Canada won by 23 runs. On the first day, there were from 5,000 to 20,000 spectators and an estimated $100,000 to $120,000 worth of bets were placed on the match."

Written By: violet_shy on 05/07/20 at 3:46 pm

Did you know that cricket was played in the USA before baseball took over, and in Canada too, but there is general colder and ice hockey took over.

BTW, on wiki:

"The Canadian cricket team in the United States in 1844 was both the first official international cricket match and the first official international game of any sport. The match between the two national teams was billed as ‘United States of America versus the British Empire's Canadian Province’. The match took place between 24 and 26 September 1844 at the St George's Cricket Club's ground at what is now 30th Street and Broadway (then Bloomingdales) in Manhattan.

Canada won by 23 runs. On the first day, there were from 5,000 to 20,000 spectators and an estimated $100,000 to $120,000 worth of bets were placed on the match."

I didn't know this. I like Cricket more. But Baseball is ok.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 4:03 pm

When I was on holiday in the USA in 2013, one day the ladies went shopping, I stayed at our base to rest (for our days out were tiring), and I watch baseball on television, San Diego were playing, which seemed strange for we were due to be in San Diego in three days time. When in San Diego, while waiting for dinner, we were watching NFL and I cannot remember which teams were competing. I do need to understand properly,

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/20 at 11:56 am

https://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/abbey-road-activista-distancing-hed-2020-1320x660.png

The Beatles social distancing.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/10/20 at 12:04 pm

https://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/abbey-road-activista-distancing-hed-2020-1320x660.png

I saw that on Twitter. It's a pretty hilarious edit.  ;D

Written By: nally on 05/10/20 at 6:52 pm

I know very little about the sport known as cricket myself.

When I was on holiday in the USA in 2013, one day the ladies went shopping, I stayed at our base to rest (for our days out were tiring), and I watch baseball on television, San Diego were playing, which seemed strange for we were due to be in San Diego in three days time. When in San Diego, while waiting for dinner, we were watching NFL and I cannot remember which teams were competing. I do need to understand properly,

The baseball game had the Padres. The NFL football game, on the other hand, I would need to research that; I would guess that the Chargers might not have necessarily been playing, even though they were the local NFL franchise at the time (and have since moved to Los Angeles).

Written By: nally on 05/10/20 at 6:53 pm

I saw that on Twitter. It's a pretty hilarious edit.  ;D

yep ;)

If all four of them were still with us today, they'd probably be positioned just like that!

Written By: Howard on 05/11/20 at 4:14 am

That was 1969, social distancing didn't exist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/20 at 4:16 am

That was 1969, social distancing didn't exist.
Come together, right now.... ...not quite yet!

Written By: Sman12 on 05/11/20 at 11:41 am

Come together, right now.... ...not quite yet!

We sure do wish, though.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...