inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: X Æ A-12: Elon Musk and Grimes confirm baby name

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 6:13 am

Elon Musk and singer Grimes have confirmed they have named their baby X Æ A-12. The Space X CEO announced the birth of their son on Monday. "Mom & baby all good," he said on Twitter. He posted that the child would be called X Æ A-12 Musk and his girlfriend later offered an explanation to her followers on social media. The name X Æ A-12 has been trending on Twitter with many asking how the name will be pronounced.

What does the name mean?
When Musk, known to joke on Twitter, announced the name, many people questioned whether he was being serious. However, Canadian singer Grimes, real name Claire Boucher, explained the name's meaning to her fans. Æ, a ligature of a and e known as ash, appeared in Latin and Old English but has mostly fallen out of use. However, in some languages such as Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic, Æ is classed as a letter. The singer has used Æ before, naming a song on her latest album 4ÆM. The A-12 is a Lockheed plane built for the CIA. It was known by designers during its development as Archangel.

Subject: Re: X Æ A-12: Elon Musk and Grimes confirm baby name

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 6:23 am

Is the name legal?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/06/20 at 9:27 am

I think that baby is going to be mocked for the rest of his life with that ridiculous name.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 10:13 am

Another big question, WHY?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/06/20 at 10:25 am

Don't believe everything you read. He's playing with you. He thinks he's better than you and he's laughing at how many fools are believing it.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/06/20 at 11:24 am

Don't believe everything you read. He's playing with you. He thinks he's better than you and he's laughing at how many fools are believing it.

No, it's unfortunately true. Even his girlfriend had an explanation for the baby's name on Twitter.  Here's the tweet.

" •X, the unknown variable ⚔️
•Æ, my elven spelling of Ai (love &/or Artificial intelligence)
•A-12 = precursor to SR-17 (our favorite aircraft). No weapons, no defenses, just speed. Great in battle, but non-violent 🤍
+
(A=Archangel, my favorite song)
(⚔️🐁 metal rat. "

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 12:01 pm

No, it's unfortunately true. Even his wife had an explanation for the baby's name on Twitter.  Here's the tweet.

•A-12 = precursor to SR-17 (our favorite aircraft). No weapons, no defenses, just speed. Great in battle, but non-violent 🤍
+
(⚔️🐁 metal rat. "
The 'X' will come in handy when signing his name?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/06/20 at 1:39 pm

No, it's unfortunately true. Even his wife had an explanation for the baby's name on Twitter.  Here's the tweet.

+
(⚔️🐁 metal rat. "

Just because they're propagating it doesn't mean it's true.  They're messing around. I guarantee there is a different name on the birth certificate. David Bowie used to say he named his son "Zowie" too, if anybody is old enough to remember that. Zowie Bowie. The whole world believed it. Many STILL refer to David Bowie's son "Zowie Bowie" to this very day. All along on the birth certificate the child's name was Duncan. And it wouldn't have been "Zowie Bowie" anyway, as Bowie's legal name was David Jones. Duncan Jones is now a grown man. Zowie Bowie doesn't exist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 1:42 pm

Just because they're propagating it doesn't mean it's true.  They're messing around. I guarantee there is a different name on the birth certificate. David Bowie used to say he named his son "Zowie" too, if anybody is old enough to remember that. Zowie Bowie. The whole world believed it. Many STILL refer to David Bowie's son "Zowie Bowie" to this very day. All along on the birth certificate the child's name was Duncan. And it wouldn't have been "Zowie Bowie" anyway, as Bowie's legal name was David Jones. Duncan Jones is now a grown man. Zowie Bowie doesn't exist.
Duncan Jones is now a film director in his own right, with the last announcement he was due to work on a sequel for "Labyrinth" (1986) which starred his father.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 1:50 pm

No, it's unfortunately true. Even his girlfriend had an explanation for the baby's name on Twitter.  Here's the tweet.

+
(⚔️🐁 metal rat. "
'Æ', as in the forming plural nouns used in names of animal and plant families and other groups?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/06/20 at 1:51 pm

'Æ', as in the forming plural nouns used in names of animal and plant families and other groups?

I guess?

But now it's used as some form of sci-fi babble.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 1:58 pm

I guess?

But now it's used as some form of sci-fi babble.
As in 'Æ' for Artificial intelligence? If so, it should be an 'A' and an 'I'?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/06/20 at 2:43 pm

Some people really don’t deserve to have kids.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 3:16 pm

Some people really don’t deserve to have kids.
Does he or both of the parents have other children?

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/20 at 4:52 pm

As in 'Æ' for Artificial intelligence? If so, it should be an 'A' and an 'I'?

Æ is still used in some English words, although we're too lazy to type/write that way. It's pronounced ee as in anæmia or algæ. Similarly, œ is still in use as in œsophagus, diarrhœa, œstrogen etc.

Written By: Dundee on 05/07/20 at 8:16 am

Knowing Grimes as a music artist, I'm actually not surprised in the least lol

Written By: Sman12 on 05/07/20 at 9:29 am

I've heard that X Ash Archangel is how you say the name, because Elon liked a tweet that mentioned the name. Plus, the A-12 Lockheed aircraft has the nickname of "Archangel". It's a theory, though.

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/x--12-how-pronounce-21982640

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 10:10 am

I've heard that X Ash Archangel is how you say the name, because Elon liked a tweet that mentioned the name. Plus, the A-12 Lockheed aircraft has the nickname of "Archangel". It's a theory, though.

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/x--12-how-pronounce-21982640
Out of interest, where was the baby born?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/07/20 at 1:13 pm

Out of interest, where was the baby born?

In California. (https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/entertainment/musk-grimes-baby-name-california-scli-intl/index.html)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 1:14 pm

In California. (https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/entertainment/musk-grimes-baby-name-california-scli-intl/index.html)
Exactly as I thought, not allowed where the baby was born.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/07/20 at 5:52 pm

Now there’s a kid who’s gonna get his ass kicked on a regular basis in the schoolyard.

Written By: temaichi on 05/08/20 at 5:28 pm

He really named him like he was a droid from Star Wars. Sounds like a gamer tag aswell...  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/08/20 at 5:44 pm

Now there’s a kid who’s gonna get his ass kicked on a regular basis in the schoolyard.

Not when you have as much money as he was born into. He won't even ever see the inside of a schoolyard.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/08/20 at 6:02 pm

Not when you have as much money as he was born into. He won't even ever see the inside of a schoolyard.

He’ll go to some hoidy-toidy private school. I can assure you that kids in those schools are even bigger pricks than the public schools.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/20 at 5:15 pm

Latest from wiki:

"According to Musk and Grimes, his name was "X Æ A-12" (pronounced /ˈɛks.æʃˌeɪ.twɛlv/ EKS-ash-AY-twelv or /ˈɛks.æʃˌaɪ/ EKS-ash-EYE), however the name was deemed illegal under California law, because it contained characters that are not in the modern English alphabet, and was then changed to "X Æ A-Xii". This drew confusion, as Æ is not a letter in the modern English alphabet. The child was eventually named "X AE A-XII", with "X" as a first name and "AE A-XII" as a middle name."

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/08/20 at 7:23 pm

Poor kid. How would he or anyone use it in everyday conversation? I see him adopting a nickname or stage name as soon as he grows up enough to do so.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/09/20 at 11:34 am

Latest from wiki:

"According to Musk and Grimes, his name was "X Æ A-12" (pronounced /ˈɛks.æʃˌeɪ.twɛlv/ EKS-ash-AY-twelv or /ˈɛks.æʃˌaɪ/ EKS-ash-EYE), however the name was deemed illegal under California law, because it contained characters that are not in the modern English alphabet, and was then changed to "X Æ A-Xii". This drew confusion, as Æ is not a letter in the modern English alphabet. The child was eventually named "X AE A-XII", with "X" as a first name and "AE A-XII" as a middle name."

I may love Elon Musk, but I really think he'll regret giving his son a heavily outlandish name in the near future when he grows up.

Check for new replies or respond here...