inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Face masks as a fashion trend?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/07/20 at 8:49 pm

Here in New Jersey, shoppers are required to wear masks. Anything that covers the mouth and nose will usually count. I was walking in the store the other day with my mom and I was seeing a lot of different face masks, mostly surgical face masks but I saw people with "decorative" face masks as well. There was a lady with an American flag face mask, and a kid with a rainbow face mask. It made me think, even after all this quarantine stuff is over, it wouldn't surprise me if face masks continued to be worn as a fashion trend in the 2020's, especially since there are a lot of variations with masks that you can make.

It sounds kinda silly, but who knows. It's very much possible.

Subject: Re: Face masks as a fashion trend?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/20 at 9:10 pm

Here in New Jersey, shoppers are required to wear masks. Anything that covers the mouth and nose will usually count. I was walking in the store the other day with my mom and I was seeing a lot of different face masks, mostly surgical face masks but I saw people with "decorative" face masks as well. There was a lady with an American flag face mask, and a kid with a rainbow face mask. It made me think, even after all this quarantine stuff is over, it wouldn't surprise me if face masks continued to be worn as a fashion trend in the 2020's, especially since there are a lot of variations with masks that you can make.

I predicted it at the beginning of all this. Somewhere around here there is a post (maybe more than one) from me that says that masks would become a fashion statement and there would be designer masks.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 05/07/20 at 9:25 pm

I predicted it at the beginning of all this. Somewhere around here there is a post (maybe more than one) from me that says that masks would become a fashion statement and there would be designer masks.  8)

I saw one that matched with the dress the woman was wearing (black dress with small white polkadots), and it went really well.

Written By: Dundee on 05/07/20 at 9:33 pm

When you think about it this is actually very plausible. People in East Asian countries have commonly worn masks for over a decade now in dense and smog-filled cities, but especially in flu seasons. This was not a socially acceptable thing in countries of the Western world however, and you'll have gotten weird looks for wearing a mask in public. Now that this taboo has been shot to the ground by this pandemic and the sight of a mask has been normalized, masks could definitely stick around in the long run. Especially during the winter when seasonal flu/common cold epidemics are at their peak.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/07/20 at 9:45 pm

When you think about it this is actually very plausible. People in East Asian countries have commonly worn masks for over a decade now in dense and smog-filled cities, but especially in flu seasons. This was not a socially acceptable thing in countries of the Western world however, and you'll have gotten weird looks for wearing a mask in public. Now that this taboo has been shot to the ground by this pandemic and the sight of a mask has been normalized, masks could definitely stick around in the long run. Especially during the winter when seasonal flu/common cold epidemics are at their peak.

I definitely agree with this. I can see wearing masks during flu season becoming a normalized thing in the post-coronavirus western world.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/08/20 at 12:01 am

It's just something that people are required to wear and have taken it upon themselves to jazz up, since they have to wear them.

Written By: nally on 05/08/20 at 12:01 am

It's just something that people are required to wear and have taken it upon themselves to jazz up, since they have to wear them.

They probably don't wanna make it look boring or unattractive.

Written By: karen on 05/08/20 at 2:39 am

In the U.K. an online clothing store was ridiculed and forced to withdraw from sale their range of fashion masks. I think if you can combine a nice front facing fabric with a reasonable cloth filter then why not?

I have some pretty fabrics that I am looking at making into masks.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/08/20 at 6:23 am

It wouldn't surprise me that masks will be a fashion statement since much of the world now has people wearing masks to protect their noses and mouths from virus droplets.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/20 at 7:27 am

You know I think face masks will definitely be a new trend most likely for pop culture and also what will happen when Halloween comes along, should The Parents wear face masks and kids should do the same?

Written By: Howard on 05/08/20 at 7:29 am

It wouldn't surprise me that masks will be a fashion statement since much of the world now has people wearing masks to protect their noses and mouths from virus droplets.

Should we have to wear them during the freezing cold?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/08/20 at 7:33 am

Should we have to wear them during the freezing cold?

I think scarves will still be useful, and they cover more of your face, so masks won't replace them anytime soon.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/20 at 7:58 am

I think scarves will still be useful, and they cover more of your face, so masks won't replace them anytime soon.

What about during the heat of the summertime?

Written By: wixness on 05/08/20 at 9:09 am

I would love to wear them more often but I hear China has developed or at least deployed facial recognition technology that can recognize people while wearing masks (some nations, such as the UK, have been incredibly enthusiastic in adopting facial recognition technology and I can only imagine that something similar could happen in the UK). I would wish to wear masks to avoid being recognized by certain people (none of whom as far as I know are involved with law enforcement, but whom I wish to avoid for personal reasons).

I think there's some racism attached to some of the resistance towards wearing face masks in various places, since outside of pandemics for much of modern history, the only people who can be seen regularly wearing face masks are those who are East Asian.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/08/20 at 1:32 pm

People are already wearing decorative masks of all kinds. Ones with patterns, superhero logos, even bands are putting masks in their merch collections for fans to buy. If you have to wear one, might as well be stylish! I don't see this being a quick fad, I think paranoia over safety will last for some time. It's hard to say, but I looked for some of those sport style ones that cover your neck and lower face that joggers and hikers use, forgot what they're called, and just one of those is more expensive than the average t-shirt!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/08/20 at 1:57 pm

People are already wearing decorative masks of all kinds. Ones with patterns, superhero logos, even bands are putting masks in their merch collections for fans to buy. If you have to wear one, might as well be stylish! I don't see this being a quick fad, I think paranoia over safety will last for some time. It's hard to say, but I looked for some of those sport style ones that cover your neck and lower face that joggers and hikers use, forgot what they're called, and just one of those is more expensive than the average t-shirt!  ::)

And before you know it magazines will style their models with face masks too. ::)

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/09/20 at 2:22 am

And before you know it magazines will style their models with face masks too. ::)

I bet they will!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/09/20 at 3:05 pm

I bet they will!  ;D

https://aphrodite.gmanetwork.com/imagefiles/600/1585651909_342555120_7_ent.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 05/11/20 at 2:45 pm

I saw a lady wear a mask that was elaborately fashioned for her wedding. Lol.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/11/20 at 3:36 pm

https://aphrodite.gmanetwork.com/imagefiles/600/1585651909_342555120_7_ent.jpg

Honestly, that cover picture is cheesy and awkward with their masks being against their faces like that.  :P

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/11/20 at 9:50 pm

The new beach fashion for summer 2020.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/11/20 at 10:37 pm

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/11/20 at 10:47 pm

Reposting this, originally from http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61230.msg3908720#msg3908720:

My little sewing project:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/9482/KnJ7Tn.jpg

The facemask pattern was found online.

I made a total of 5 of these but gave away 2.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/20 at 1:12 am

When the swimming pools reopen?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 7:12 am

I saw a lady wear a mask that was elaborately fashioned for her wedding. Lol.

And she got married with it on?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 7:13 am

Is the top a mask covering?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 7:15 am

You might as well make these a Halloween costume.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/12/20 at 1:59 pm

That is if trick-or-treating is still allowed in the fall. But who knows what will happen by then?  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/20 at 2:02 pm

...or

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-iwa5azhm/products/7713/images/33777/71zqcHvXJXL._SY355___66560.1564941972.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

;D

Written By: violet_shy on 05/12/20 at 2:03 pm

And she got married with it on?

Yes. It was all over the news.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 2:03 pm

That is if trick-or-treating is still allowed in the fall. But who knows what will happen by then?  :(

If they cancel Halloween you might as well cancel New Year's too.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 2:04 pm

...or

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-iwa5azhm/products/7713/images/33777/71zqcHvXJXL._SY355___66560.1564941972.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

;D

What's that guy's name again?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/20 at 2:09 pm

What's that guy's name again?
It is a mask based on Guy Fawkes, he was one of the plotters of The Gunpowder Plot, a failed assassination attempt against King James I by a group of provincial English Catholics led by Robert Catesby. The plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament on 5 November 1605

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 2:46 pm

It is a mask based on Guy Fawkes, he was one of the plotters of The Gunpowder Plot, a failed assassination attempt against King James I by a group of provincial English Catholics led by Robert Catesby. The plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament on 5 November 1605

So he was a bad guy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/20 at 2:46 pm

So he was a bad guy?
Guy Fawkes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/12/20 at 4:28 pm

This is what it might look like, only for everyone, and maybe more Zoom than Facetime.

WWIKc6itiJc

Written By: Sman12 on 05/13/20 at 2:02 pm

This is what it might look like, only for everyone, and maybe more Zoom than Facetime.

WWIKc6itiJc

Lol. That'd be really tedious if you ask me.

Check for new replies or respond here...