inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Get Ready for the Cancelation of Fred Rogers

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/08/20 at 5:21 pm

Officer Clemons from Mister Rogers Neighborhood has come out with a tell-all book. Apparently Fred Rogers told the actor that if he “came out of the closet” in public, he could not stay on the show. 

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/officer-clemmons-talks-about-his-new-book-and-friendship-with-mister-rogers/

Get ready for the vilification and ‘cancelation’ of Fred Rogers over this in the media.

”Let the name of Mister Rogers be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from every monument of the neighborhood. Let the name of Mister Rogers be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.”

Subject: Re: Get Ready for the Cancelation of Fred Rogers

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/08/20 at 5:46 pm

First of all, conservative source. Second of all, sensationalist headline.

What it really boils down to is:

“Fred handed me an ultimatum,” said Clemmons. “He said to me, ‘You can be gay, that’s not going to change how I feel about you, Francois. But I don’t think you can be on our program.’ To me, he was expressing his vulnerability, that if the big (financial backers) like Sears and Johnson & Johnson and Heinz knew that an openly gay person was on the program, they would say, ‘Fred, you gotta get rid of him. That is not good for our image.’ ”

So Fred said to me, ‘You need to decide. If you want a career and to sing on the program, then you need to stay in the closet. If you don’t, that’s fine and we will continue to be friends. But I don’t think you can be on the program.’ ”

It was simply the times; it wasn't Fred's call. It this were going on today, no doubt Fred (and his sponsors) would have been all for it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/08/20 at 6:01 pm

It was simply the times; it wasn't Fred's call. It this were going on today, no doubt Fred (and his sponsors) would have been all for it.

No no no... Fred will be canceled for selling this dude out. There is no room for slack in these matters. I’m afraid the statue of Fred Rogers over by the Allegheny River will soon be toppled.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/08/20 at 6:40 pm

No no no... Fred will be canceled for selling this dude out. There is no room for slack in these matters. I’m afraid the statue of Fred Rogers over by the Allegheny River will soon be toppled.

You're right about that. I'm not quite sure what will happen in the case of Fred Rogers, but with cancel culture in general there is absolutely no nuance. Whether you are accused of merely glancing at someone the wrong way or if you are accused of full out assault it's all the same to the cancel culture social justice warriors. And the irony is completely lost on them that what they are doing is more repressive than what they are out to fix.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/08/20 at 6:47 pm

You're right about that. I'm not quite sure what will happen in the case of Fred Rogers, but with cancel culture in general there is absolutely no nuance. Whether you are accused of merely glancing at someone the wrong way or if you are accused of full out assault it's all the same to the cancel culture social justice warriors. And the irony is completely lost on them that what they are doing is more repressive than what they are out to fix.

It is a contest to see who is most “woke”.  ::)

Written By: Sman12 on 05/09/20 at 9:22 am

Exactly what I was thinking. I also found an quote from another article that reflected on Rogers' approval of Clemmons being gay:

"It was through these discussions that Rogers realized he’d made a mistake. He later changed his advice, urging Clemmons to find a gay man he was happy with. He also stopped asking Clemmons to remain in the closet, though Rogers did reject Clemmons’ suggestion of having Officer Clemmons come out on the show."

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/20 at 1:55 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. I also found an quote from another article that reflected on Rogers' approval of Clemmons being gay:

"It was through these discussions that Rogers realized he’d made a mistake. He later changed his advice, urging Clemmons to find a gay man he was happy with. He also stopped asking Clemmons to remain in the closet, though Rogers did reject Clemmons’ suggestion of having Officer Clemmons come out on the show."

That alone is enough for the SJW's to cancel Fred.  It's a scorched earth policy.  The only way Fred could possibly avoid this problem would be if he (an ordained minister) had performed a marriage ceremony for Clemmons and his husband (that is, after Clemmons got a divorce from his wife).

I once met Fred Rogers (this was in the 1960s) at a doctor's office in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Picksburgh.  My dad was there for a regular checkup.  I saw Mr. Rogers and recognized him.  However I was "cool" and did not make any fuss because by then I was one of the big boys.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/09/20 at 3:01 pm

Officer Clemons from Mister Rogers Neighborhood has come out with a tell-all book. Apparently Fred Rogers told the actor that if he “came out of the closet” in public, he could not stay on the show. 

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/officer-clemmons-talks-about-his-new-book-and-friendship-with-mister-rogers/

Get ready for the vilification and ‘cancelation’ of Fred Rogers over this in the media.

”Let the name of Mister Rogers be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from every monument of the neighborhood. Let the name of Mister Rogers be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.”

There was an episode where they both waded their feet in the pool.

https://cdn8.openculture.com/2019/02/14222959/pool-e1550212231772.png

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/10/20 at 5:32 am

Considering that cancel culture simply doesn't exist outside of the Internet, I'm not concerned by this.

Remember, people: the Internet is not real life. Once this whole COVID-19 thing is over, go outside and talk to real people. You'll see the world is not what you think it is when huddled in your little Internet tribes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/20 at 6:18 am

Considering that cancel culture simply doesn't exist outside of the Internet, I'm not concerned by this.

Remember, people: the Internet is not real life. Once this whole COVID-19 thing is over, go outside and talk to real people. You'll see the world is not what you think it is when huddled in your little Internet tribes.

Tell that to the former Senator from Minnesota, or the dude who played Kramer on Seinfeld. Their careers have been canceled.

Even Christopher Columbus has been canceled with many cities canceling Columbus Day.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/10/20 at 8:21 am

Tell that to the former Senator from Minnesota, or the dude who played Kramer on Seinfeld. Their careers have been canceled.

Even Christopher Columbus has been canceled with many cities canceling Columbus Day.

Al Franken, sure, that was a damn shame. I still wouldn't call that "being cancelled." He resigned under pressure from his post, it's not like anyone is boycotting him or anything.

But Kramer? Really? He called people the "n" word, he fully deserved it. And even he is not disappeared from the face of the Earth, he has his own show now. It's like you get off on your perceived victimhood.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/20 at 8:32 am

It's like you get off on your perceived victimhood.

I haven’t been canceled yet.  ;D

Maybe once Lyric Boy Day is made a national holiday, some blue states will cancel it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/10/20 at 9:14 am

Tell that to Aziz Ansari who was cancelled or near-cancelled for something as small as a date gone bad. Hardly in the same category as a monster like Harvey Weinstein, yet as previously stated, there is no nuance anymore. Even Matt Damon got in trouble and had to publicly apologize when he tried to point out that there are degrees of things and a somewhat minor faux pas like Aziz Ansari is not the same as the felonious Harvey Weinstein. But it matters not.  "Believe all women" is the slogan now, regardless of degree. Tell it to Roseanne Barr. Admittedly she's wacko, but she shouldn't have been literally cancelled and had her show pulled form under her. People could have made their own decisions if they were offended by her. That's not the way it works anymore. Everything is groupthink, on and off the internet.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/10/20 at 10:16 am

Tell that to Aziz Ansari who was cancelled or near-cancelled for something as small as a date gone bad. Hardly in the same category as a monster like Harvey Weinstein, yet as previously stated, there is no nuance anymore. Even Matt Damon got in trouble and had to publicly apologize when he tried to point out that there are degrees of things and a somewhat minor faux pas like Aziz Ansari is not the same as the felonious Harvey Weinstein. But it matters not.  "Believe all women" is the slogan now, regardless of degree. Tell it to Roseanne Barr. Admittedly she's wacko, but she shouldn't have been literally cancelled and had her show pulled form under her. People could have made their own decisions if they were offended by her. That's not the way it works anymore. Everything is groupthink, on and off the internet.

I actually liked the Roseanne reboot, and she shouldn't have had her entire show be cancelled over one stupid joke. The crew worked really hard on it and its premiere episode rating had over 25 million viewers by appealing to both political sides fairly. Her subsequent episodes continuously pulled 10 million+ viewers.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/10/20 at 11:14 am

I actually liked the Roseanne reboot, and she shouldn't have had her entire show be cancelled over one stupid joke. The crew worked really hard on it and its premiere episode rating had over 25 million viewers by appealing to both political sides fairly. Her subsequent episodes continuously pulled 10 million+ viewers.

That's my whole point. All it takes these days is one remark, one glance askew and you are finished, or at least marked for life. It will ALWAYS come up in any topic or article about you. As someone who comes from the old 60s/70s school of liberalism I don't know how we got to this. I am uneasy with this concept of "zero tolerance". There are shades and gradations of things, there are nuances. Everything is not just cut and dried. How do "social justice warriors" (for lack of a better phrase) not see the disconnect? How do they not see their hypocrisy? Isn't TOLERANCE what they are fighting for? When, where and why did my old kind of liberalism turn into fascism (again, to use a phrase)?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/20 at 12:54 pm

"Believe all women" is the slogan now, regardless of degree.

Apparently not anymore. I will not elaborate, as that would put this post in the “Politics and Religion” board.  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/20 at 1:06 pm

Actually, I have to correct the record.

I was once “canceled” (e.g., “banned”) from a message board before I had even made one post, liked one post, or replied to any posts.  ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D 8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/10/20 at 1:51 pm

Apparently not anymore. I will not elaborate, as that would put this post in the “Politics and Religion” board.  ;)

Yeah, I get what you mean. "Believe all women unless it doesn't suit your political agenda". MORE hypocrisy. Nuff said.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/10/20 at 7:36 pm

Irony is dead.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/10/20 at 7:57 pm

Irony is dead.

Can you be more specific?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/20 at 4:12 am

Maybe once Lyric Boy Day is made a national holiday, some blue states will cancel it.

That might be a possibility.

Check for new replies or respond here...