inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: **UPDATE** JC Penney Announces 154 Store Closures

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/11/20 at 4:44 am

Reports are out that the stalwart retailer is going under, and preparing to close 200 stores.  :\'(

https://www.wccsradio.com/2020/05/09/jc-penny-to-declare-bankruptcy-and-close-200-stores/

Subject: Re: JC Penney to Close Doors at 200 Stores

Written By: Sman12 on 05/11/20 at 10:42 am

Honestly, with this pandemic still around, the future of department retail stores looks bleak. The sales were going on a decline before this happened, but the virus accelerated it. I can only envision more abandoned buildings with empty parking lots.

Written By: annimal on 05/11/20 at 11:01 am

I wont have anywhere to take the bus to

Written By: Sman12 on 05/11/20 at 11:40 am

I also took the bus near a JCPenney store in a mall complex to get to my job. Seeing the store possibly close down for good is like a fond memory fading into nothingness.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/20 at 11:43 am

...a good reason not to take a bus now in these uncertain times.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/20 at 7:17 am

I also took the bus near a JCPenney store in a mall complex to get to my job. Seeing the store possibly close down for good is like a fond memory fading into nothingness.

Seems like everyone's going to be doing things online.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/20 at 3:24 am

Well, the deed is done. JCP filed for bankruptcy yesterday.  :\'(

Written By: Sman12 on 05/16/20 at 8:11 am

Well, the deed is done. JCP filed for bankruptcy yesterday.  :\'(

It's not necessarily the end for JCP or these other major retailers, though. They're trying to reorganize and pay off their debts  during this crisis, and hopefully, they can financially be back on track. But with the way how malls and retail stores were declining in sales and traffic before this, I'm not exactly sure if they'll have enough staying power throughout the decade.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/17/20 at 7:13 pm

Is it just me or has JC penny’s been bankrupt for the last 10-13 years because I don’t notice many people shopping there outside of people who are more casual in attire. I remember maybe like 15 years ago JC penny’s was a great place to shop as well as sears and mervyn’s.

Written By: nally on 05/17/20 at 7:18 pm

Is it just me or has JC penny’s been bankrupt for the last 10-13 years because I don’t notice many people shopping there outside of people who are more casual in attire. I remember maybe like 15 years ago JC penny’s was a great place to shop as well as sears and mervyn’s.

But then the department stores have been gradually going out of business. I remember plenty of them as well, primarily in regional shopping malls.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/18/20 at 1:39 pm

The days of "hanging out at the mall" have ended.  Sears is pretty well gone under also.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/18/20 at 3:12 pm

The days of "hanging out at the mall" have ended.  Sears is pretty well gone under also.

Millions of mall and retail jobs will also be gone as well. I hope there will be other job opportunities for them when total store closures will likely happen in the future.  :(

Written By: Howard on 05/18/20 at 4:02 pm

Everyone wants to just do online shopping.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/18/20 at 5:01 pm

But then the department stores have been gradually going out of business. I remember plenty of them as well, primarily in regional shopping malls.

That sucks :( department stores still offer a great variety of options imo.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/18/20 at 5:08 pm

Yeah I heard Sears was planning on going out of business soon.

Written By: nally on 05/18/20 at 5:17 pm

That sucks :( department stores still offer a great variety of options imo.

I always believed so, too.

Subject: Re: **UPDATE** J.C. Penney - Amazon is Kicking the Tires

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/20 at 4:55 am

Based in the latest news yesterday I’ve retitled this thread instead of creating a new one.

Apparently, Amazon is kicking the tires at JC Penney, angling for a possible purchase of all or part of the struggling retailer.  :o

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/amazon-j-c-penney-in-talks-report

What say you about this possibility? ???

Written By: Sman12 on 05/20/20 at 9:02 am

Based in the latest news yesterday I’ve retitled this thread instead of creating a new one.

Apparently, Amazon is kicking the tires at JC Penney, angling for a possible purchase of all or part of the struggling retailer.  :o

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/amazon-j-c-penney-in-talks-report

What say you about this possibility? ???

I say we may have another monopoly on our hands, and this time, it's Amazon.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/20/20 at 10:43 am

I say we may have another monopoly on our hands, and this time, it's Amazon.

When you say "another monopoly" what previous one are you thinking of? The only one I can think of is AT&T which operated as a government-sanctioned monopoly for 70 years before finally breaking up in 1984.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/20/20 at 2:28 pm

When you say "another monopoly" what previous one are you thinking of? The only one I can think of is AT&T which operated as a government-sanctioned monopoly for 70 years before finally breaking up in 1984.

At one time I believe Microsoft was considered a monopoly.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/20/20 at 3:09 pm

At one time I believe Microsoft was considered a monopoly.

That's correct, I forgot about that. The main difference being that the government brought a class action suit against Microsoft for being a monopoly. But for 70 years AT&T operated as a monopoly with the support and approval of the government. It was a monopoly that "worked". Although things are very different now, I still remember what a big mess it was in 1984 when the monopoly broke apart into a bunch of little companies. Bell South, Bell Atlantic, etc. And  competing companies such as Sprint and MCI started popping up.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/20/20 at 3:11 pm

Disney, and their acquisitions of Marvel, Lucasfilm, and 21st Century Fox.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/20/20 at 3:27 pm

Disney, and their acquisitions of Marvel, Lucasfilm, and 21st Century Fox.

As much as they'd like to be, Disney isn't a monopoly. Not even close. What you described are mergers and acquisitions. Disney still has too many competitors to be a monopoly, and nowhere does Disney have 100% market share. Among Disney's main competitors are the aforementioned AT&T as well as Comcast, Viacom and Sony. Not to mention Netflix and, yes, Amazon, with Amazon Prime.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/20/20 at 3:50 pm

As much as they'd like to be, Disney isn't a monopoly. Not even close. What you described are mergers and acquisitions. Disney still has too many competitors to be a monopoly, and nowhere does Disney have 100% market share. Among Disney's main competitors are the aforementioned AT&T as well as Comcast, Viacom and Sony. Not to mention Netflix and, yes, Amazon, with Amazon Prime.

Okay, I'll give you that. Disney isn't exactly a monopoly. I guess I was over-exaggerating on their several high-profile acquisitions. It makes me wonder on what the future of Disney would be. :(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/20/20 at 3:53 pm

Okay, I'll give you that. Disney isn't exactly a  monopoly. I guess I was over-exaggerating.  :(

Like I said, they's LOVE to be a monopoly if they could get away with it.  Disney is pretty awful.  8-P

Written By: Sman12 on 05/20/20 at 5:03 pm

Like I said, they's LOVE to be a monopoly if they could get away with it.  Disney is pretty awful.  8-P

I even heard a rumor about them buying the WWE. I HOPE to goodness that isn't true.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/20 at 7:59 am

I even heard a rumor about them buying the WWE. I HOPE to goodness that isn't true.

If Disney buys the WWE what will happen to the characters?

Subject: Re: **UPDATE** J.C. Penney Closing 154 Stores

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/20 at 6:40 pm

JC Penney plans to close 154 stores, including the one that I usually go to.  :\'(

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2020/06/04/jc-penney-files-list-of-154-stores-it-wants-to-close-including-7-in-texas/

Written By: Sman12 on 06/04/20 at 7:18 pm

JC Penney plans to close 154 stores, including the one that I usually go to.  :\'(

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2020/06/04/jc-penney-files-list-of-154-stores-it-wants-to-close-including-7-in-texas/

Another massive blow to the company. I don't even see a lot of commercials from them on TV anymore. Maybe they could close all stores soon.  :(

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/07/20 at 8:16 pm

Another massive blow to the company. I don't even see a lot of commercials from them on TV anymore. Maybe they could close all stores soon.  :(

Our local store is closing. Been there for 94 years.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...