inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Decade of suburbanization?

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/12/20 at 9:37 am

Well, with the advent of remote working, cities have lost their main attraction, proximity to work. Now that you can work from home, there's no need to rent expensive offices, and expensive apartments near those offices, when you can buy a house and work remotely.

On top of that, this is the decade where the boomers will largely retire, pass on their houses to their Millenial children, who themselves will be in their 30s and 40s, this is the decade a huge number of them will get married, and many will have children. This was already happening in the last few years with how crazy and ridiculous the prices have been in cities.

That's not the only bubble that will burst. The higher education bubble will also burst. International students, the biggest cash cows for western universities will probably not be coming back for a while and when they do it will be in much smaller numbers. Not to mention the reason, many local students won't come back.

Subject: Re: A Decade of suburbanization?

Written By: Sman12 on 05/12/20 at 10:57 am

I wouldn't be surprised if that were to be the case. Working from home was on the rise before this, but the remote work revolution does seem to be accelerating due to the pandemic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/20 at 11:03 am

I wouldn't be surprised if that were to be the case. Working from home was on the rise before this, but the remote work revolution does seem to be accelerating due to the pandemic.
Without the modern day technology, it will be like going back to the Tudor Age?

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/14/20 at 9:07 pm

At least in America, that does seem to happen when Republicans are president. I think someone in another one of the boards pointed it out:

Reagan/Bush: Pop culture focuses on the suburbs (that whole John Hughes suburban teen culture thing)
Clinton: Pop culture gets urban (hip-hop and urban culture)
Bush: Returns to the suburbs (emo)
Obama: Urban again (hipsters, etc.)

I can see an argument for a refocus on the suburbs during the past few years of Trump too. I mean Midwest emo has been quietly making a comeback on YouTube, although admittedly I don't see it growing past the Internet.

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 05/24/20 at 12:34 am

Well, with the advent of remote working, cities have lost their main attraction, proximity to work. Now that you can work from home, there's no need to rent expensive offices, and expensive apartments near those offices, when you can buy a house and work remotely.

On top of that, this is the decade where the boomers will largely retire, pass on their houses to their Millenial children, who themselves will be in their 30s and 40s, this is the decade a huge number of them will get married, and many will have children. This was already happening in the last few years with how crazy and ridiculous the prices have been in cities.

That's not the only bubble that will burst. The higher education bubble will also burst. International students, the biggest cash cows for western universities will probably not be coming back for a while and when they do it will be in much smaller numbers. Not to mention the reason, many local students won't come back.

GameXcaper, with this new recession going on right now, I can totally see that happening.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/24/20 at 1:21 am

That's a good point. Suburban culture will probably go back to being the norm and city life will be less desirable.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/24/20 at 8:10 am

At least in America, that does seem to happen when Republicans are president. I think someone in another one of the boards pointed it out:

Reagan/Bush: Pop culture focuses on the suburbs (that whole John Hughes suburban teen culture thing)
Clinton: Pop culture gets urban (hip-hop and urban culture)
Bush: Returns to the suburbs (emo)
Obama: Urban again (hipsters, etc.)

I can see an argument for a refocus on the suburbs during the past few years of Trump too. I mean Midwest emo has been quietly making a comeback on YouTube, although admittedly I don't see it growing past the Internet.

Well even though Trump is an urban business man he did bring out voters from rural America.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/24/20 at 10:48 pm

God, I hope not but so far Trump is an outlier in that he hasn't brought about a culture of normalcy. No one really feels compelled to live their lives without some sort of cause to fight for or against. Everything is in perpetual conflict. Despite bringing out the rural voters he's done next to nothing for them.

Any ways, as a city person, I would rather see the country move into a more rural direction than a suburban direction. Right wing suburbs are the fn worst. They hate cities but they literally exist because and for cities.  8-P  8-P  8-P  8-P  8-P

The country can exist by itself. The city can exist by itself. But the suburb holds the city at arm's length while leeching on it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/24/20 at 11:17 pm

God, I hope not but so far Trump is an outlier in that he hasn't brought about a culture of normalcy. No one really feels compelled to live their lives without some sort of cause to fight for or against. Everything is in perpetual conflict. Despite bringing out the rural voters he's done next to nothing for them.

Any ways, as a city person, I would rather see the country move into a more rural direction than a suburban direction. Right wing suburbs are the fn worst. They hate cities but they literally exist because and for cities.  8-P  8-P  8-P  8-P  8-P

The country can exist by itself. The city can exist by itself. But the suburb holds the city at arm's length while leeching on it.

A very interesting point! Every single thing is seen as political now. I have never seen such partisanship in in my life. Everything is politicized. Even the virus. Even whether to wear a mask or not a mask. It's kind of a "divide and conquer" mentality. For the government to listen to the people the people have to speak with ONE VOICE. That's how we ended the war in Vietnam, to use an example from my lifetime. For the longest time people were bitterly divided about the war and I mean BITTERLY. People took a hard line for or against. It even broke up families. But as it dragged on and on even the hardest hawks softened somewhat. It had just gone too far and too long. That's when the people spoke as one and the government had to listen. Of course, there's more to it than that, but the point remains. If the people are divided the powers-that-be can do what they want.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/25/20 at 6:05 am

The supposed "right wing" suburbs are the ones that brought us the Blue Wave in 2018. I'm suburban myself and while I wasn't exactly enamored by the suburban life at first, having lived in a city before that, I am coming around to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...