inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Streaming apps. Have they replaced television??

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/15/20 at 7:57 am

Have things like Netflix, Hulu, Britbox, and tubi replaced the television dial?  I'm not opposed.  I have Netflix and Britbox.  I would just like opinions and thoughts.

Subject: Re: Streaming apps. Have they replaced television??

Written By: Sman12 on 05/15/20 at 8:04 am

Most definitely. When you have cable, you're also paying for channels you don't even watch. Streaming services, however, are optional. You can now bundle Hulu, Disney+, AND ESPN+ for only $12.99/month. That's a pretty huge deal if you ask me.  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/15/20 at 8:07 am

Most definitely. When you have cable, you're also paying for channels you don't even watch. Streaming services, however, are optional. You can now bundle Hulu, Disney+, AND ESPN+ for only $12.99/month. That's a pretty huge deal if you ask me.  :)

Oh. I agree.  The programming is also way more varied.  Well worth the money.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 8:12 am

Back in the days when you had a TV set with rabbit antennas and you had a dial with only channels 2-13 but compared to now when you have a variety of different channels and streaming apps to choose from, streaming will definitely be the future.

Written By: wixness on 05/15/20 at 8:24 am

My parents still pay for cable (likely because of their technological illiteracy and them preferring to be able to watch BBC News, although they do use their mobiles to watch international news if CNN doesn't go deep enough in that regard), so not for me.

I've seen more households though use streaming apps, either legit (e.g. Netflix or YouTube) or otherwise (especially to access otherwise paid or region-locked content for free, important especially for Filipinos for whom the content they want is often overlooked).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/20 at 8:28 am

In one sense yes, but I still receive mainstream television thought an aerie, but do have access to Netflix, the catch-up television services, and YouTube.

With Britbox, I feel that I have already seen the available programs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/20 at 8:40 am

My parents still pay for cable (likely because of their technological illiteracy and them preferring to be able to watch BBC News, although they do use their mobiles to watch international news if CNN doesn't go deep enough in that regard), so not for me.

I've seen more households though use streaming apps, either legit (e.g. Netflix or YouTube) or otherwise (especially to access otherwise paid or region-locked content for free, important especially for Filipinos for whom the content they want is often overlooked).
I have seen one Philippine channel but it did not work me me properly.

Written By: wixness on 05/15/20 at 8:55 am

I have seen one Philippine channel but it did not work me me properly.
I've seen some legitimate set-top boxes (in the past though) stream Filipino content, but I also now see (or only see) less legitimate streaming computers and websites being used to stream the news and/or recordings uploaded to YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/20 at 9:04 am

I've seen some legitimate set-top boxes (in the past though) stream Filipino content, but I also now see (or only see) less legitimate streaming computers and websites being used to stream the news and/or recordings uploaded to YouTube.
When I last look, there are several Philippine films on Netflix, including the Pilipino-American Jokoy.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/15/20 at 9:30 am

Not until everyone has access to internet with no data caps and enough speed to handle it.

There was a recent news story about how people want to work and learn from home. But some school districts, 75% of the students don’t have access to decent internet. You used to be able to go to libraries, cafes, etc but not anymore.

I still use an amplified antenna for the networks. And a 10 ft c band dish for whatever else I can find. I don’t get the normal pay channels but I do get a lot of oddball variety.

I’m supposed to get fiber internet this fall. At least I was before corona happened. Before the resales closed I bought a roku I found in anticipation of fiber. Hope I didn’t jinx myself. 10 years ago I was told I was getting cable so I bought a cable modem (they didn’t know this) and later they decided they couldn’t install it after all.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/20 at 11:52 am

No because news networks and daytime television haven't moved to streaming. Until that happens, cable television will still reign.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/20 at 11:56 am

Not until everyone has access to internet with no data caps and enough speed to handle it.

There was a recent news story about how people want to work and learn from home. But some school districts, 75% of the students don’t have access to decent internet. You used to be able to go to libraries, cafes, etc but not anymore.

I still use an amplified antenna for the networks. And a 10 ft c band dish for whatever else I can find. I don’t get the normal pay channels but I do get a lot of oddball variety.

I’m supposed to get fiber internet this fall. At least I was before corona happened. Before the resales closed I bought a roku I found in anticipation of fiber. Hope I didn’t jinx myself. 10 years ago I was told I was getting cable so I bought a cable modem (they didn’t know this) and later they decided they couldn’t install it after all.

Yeah exactly and it may take some time to get there. I also think some people may still appreciate the element of surprise in flipping through the TV channels and just watching whatever is on rather than needing plan beforehand what to watch. I'm not a TV or streaming person myself (other than YouTube) but I can see why people still use cable television. There is also the news networks which is also a big deal.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 1:56 pm

Yeah exactly and it may take some time to get there. I also think some people may still appreciate the element of surprise in flipping through the TV channels and just watching whatever is on rather than needing plan beforehand what to watch. I'm not a TV or streaming person myself (other than YouTube) but I can see why people still use cable television. There is also the news networks which is also a big deal.

Do you still use apps, Slim?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/20 at 2:04 pm

Do you still use apps, Slim?

I use apps but I don't use Netflix and other streaming apps.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 2:31 pm

I use apps but I don't use Netflix and other streaming apps.

I might want to look into Hulu, My Father has it but I want to see what's on it myself.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/15/20 at 4:40 pm

No because news networks and daytime television haven't moved to streaming. Until that happens, cable television will still reign.

We're still in a transitional period with television, but I have heard of people using their OTA antennas for local news events and use their streaming services for entertainment. Cable/pay-TV bills (at least here in the US) still cost way too much compared to streaming prices, and it is on its last legs statistically. So enjoy it while it lasts.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/15/20 at 4:47 pm

Broadcast TV is on it's last legs. Appointment television is dead. We live in an on-demand culture. I'm not surprised either, when you consider the absolute garbage that is today's broadcast television. Reality shows and trite talent shows and badly written dramas and comedies. Just garbage. In some ways I lament the certain demise of broadcast TV because I come from the mid-century "monoculture" time of three major networks and nothing else. If you were watching something you could be reasonably sure everybody else was watching the same thing. Example: Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show February 1964. Changed the entire country overnight. Nothing like that could happen now. "American Idol" isn't exactly changing the country. Not for the BETTER, anyway.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/20 at 5:31 pm

We're still in a transitional period with television, but I have heard of people using their OTA antennas for local news events and use their streaming services for entertainment. Cable/pay-TV bills (at least here in the US) still cost way too much compared to streaming prices, and it is on its last legs statistically. So enjoy it while it lasts.

I could see cable TV being on its last legs but the problem is with streaming you need really reliable and unlimited data and it doesn't seem like we're there quite yet. But I suppose kind of like how radio turned to streaming songs modern cable television may do the same in streaming their programs to people in the future and so then cable will be a thing of the past.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/15/20 at 5:56 pm

"American Idol" isn't exactly changing the country. Not for the BETTER, anyway.

Well, the current iteration, sure. Seems like ABC was playing it safe by greenlighting what people are already familiar with (but isn't that what most media companies are doing nowadays?  :-\\)

I thought the original Idol was meh. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea when I watched it on Fox, but I knew its massive impact on pop culture. It was the #1 TV program for 8 straight years (2003-2011 with their live shows). I would actually give Idol (in their early-mid 2000s prime) credit for boosting the careers of singers like Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, and Carrie Underwood. They aren't as popular now, but they are part of the original show's legacy.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/20 at 2:03 pm

I could see cable TV being on its last legs but the problem is with streaming you need really reliable and unlimited data and it doesn't seem like we're there quite yet. But I suppose kind of like how radio turned to streaming songs modern cable television may do the same in streaming their programs to people in the future and so then cable will be a thing of the past.

I like free streaming where I don't have to pay a dime.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/20 at 2:09 pm

I like free streaming where I don't have to pay a dime.

I never pay for it.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/20 at 2:29 pm

I never pay for it.

Me neither.

Check for new replies or respond here...