inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: GNC - Stick a Fork in It

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/20 at 8:31 am

Nutritional supplement and vitamin purveyor a General Nutrition Corporation has received a 30-to-90-day reprieve from creditors, to get its finances in order.  8)

https://triblive.com/local/regional/gnc-avoids-bankruptcy-gets-90-day-max-to-pay-down-debt/

Founded in 1937, Picksburgh GNC is yet another corporate victim of the coronavirus.  :-\\

I hope these guys make a go of it. Otherwise it’s gonna be a lot harder to find vitamins and creatine supplements.

Subject: Re: GNC Cheats the Hangman

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/16/20 at 9:23 am

I hope so. Ours has been business as usual. It’s the only place I can get the iron pills that I like.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/20 at 9:35 am

GNC was already ready to declare bankruptcy long before the virus. There was even a thread about it here. The virus is just pushing them over the edge and I, for one, am glad. GNC is a horrible place. I have never encountered such bizarre, cult-like behavior in any other establishment.  The people that work in these places are just plain weird. I'm not sure how to explain it, it's just a strange attitude. And all their rules and regulations with showing cards to get this discount and that discount but it somehow never really adds up. And I've gone into more than one location and I always encounter the weird behavior so I assume they are trained like that.  Good riddance to this terrible place. More than half the stuff they sell is snake oil anyway.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/16/20 at 10:13 am

GNC was already ready to declare bankruptcy long before the virus. There was even a thread about it here. The virus is just pushing them over the edge and I, for one, am glad. GNC is a horrible place. I have never encountered such bizarre, cult-like behavior in any other establishment.  The people that work in these places are just plain weird. I'm not sure how to explain it, it's just a strange attitude. And all their rules and regulations with showing cards to get this discount and that discount but it somehow never really adds up. And I've gone into more than one location and I always encounter the weird behavior so I assume they are trained like that.  Good riddance to this terrible place. More than half the stuff they sell is snake oil anyway.

Ours is a little one man shop and I agree he’s a little different but I like him. He likes the 80s cars like I do too. I took advantage of a buy 2 get one free for something I’m going to use anyway. So $20 instead of $30. It’s a quiet little place and I like that. He’s knowledgeable about the products if you ask but doesn’t try to push you into buying stuff.

Now we have a local natural food chain which has all the meds too and that’s where I’ve had the cult like experience. People acting like they are high and hounding you and trying to push you into their lifestyle. You try to walk away and they stay on you like a telemarketer. I avoid that place whenever possible.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/20 at 10:36 am

Ours is a little one man shop and I agree he’s a little different but I like him. He likes the 80s cars like I do too. I took advantage of a buy 2 get one free for something I’m going to use anyway. So $20 instead of $30. It’s a quiet little place and I like that. He’s knowledgeable about the products if you ask but doesn’t try to push you into buying stuff.

Now we have a local natural food chain which has all the meds too and that’s where I’ve had the cult like experience. People acting like they are high and hounding you and trying to push you into their lifestyle. You try to walk away and they stay on you like a telemarketer. I avoid that place whenever possible.

Yes, that's it at the GNCs I have been to. It's very telemarketer type behavior except in person. I suspect they may be commission-based. Also a very "holier-than-thou" attitude.

Subject: Re: GNC - Stick a Fork in It

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/20 at 2:53 pm

GNC has announced that they have filed for bankruptcy. Roughly 800-1200 stores will be closed.. :\'(

https://triblive.com/local/regional/gnc-files-for-bankruptcy-plans-to-close-800-1200-stores-as-it-sells-company-or-reorganizes/

Subject: Re: GNC - Stick a Fork in It

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/24/20 at 4:31 pm

GNC has announced that they have filed for bankruptcy. Roughly 800-1200 stores will be closed.. :\'(

https://triblive.com/local/regional/gnc-files-for-bankruptcy-plans-to-close-800-1200-stores-as-it-sells-company-or-reorganizes/

Well the one here is still open for now. Not on this closing list.

I wonder if their stuff is just rebadged from other brands. I hope so because then after they close I could possibly find another source for the gentlesorb iron. I’ve tried many and that’s the only one I really like.

Check for new replies or respond here...