inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ellen DeGeneres?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/20 at 3:59 pm

I heard something about Ellen DeGeneres being the villain of 2020 and a lot of people are angry at her? Anyone know what's up with that? Is it about how she was treating her crew on her show?

Subject: Re: Ellen DeGeneres?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/29/20 at 4:34 pm

I've been hearing about the DeGeneres hate for a while now. Here's a nutshell explanation:

How Did Ellen Become One of the Biggest Villans of 2020?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/18/ellen-degeneres-be-kind-what-that-means

I have to admit I always found her to be at least slightly annoying. Though the time I thought she did an absolutely tremendous job was when she hosted the Emmy Awards shortly after September 11. She struck the perfect balance of seriousness and humor there.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/29/20 at 5:22 pm

I don’t have anything against her. Just her sense of humor isn’t my thing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/20 at 5:28 pm

I’d party with her.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/20 at 6:12 pm

I’d party with her.

But she won't wanna party with you.  :P

Written By: goodbants on 05/29/20 at 7:28 pm

She’s done a number of scummy things. She pretty much forced Mariah Carey to announce her pregnancy on air when she offered her alcohol and she wouldn’t drink it. Mariah didn’t want anyone to know in case something were to happen. She had a miscarriage later.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/20 at 6:11 am

She’s done a number of scummy things. She pretty much forced Mariah Carey to announce her pregnancy on air when she offered her alcohol and she wouldn’t drink it. Mariah didn’t want anyone to know in case something were to happen. She had a miscarriage later.

Yeah, it’s too bad she plays for the other team.

Written By: wixness on 05/30/20 at 8:01 am

People got angry with her because she's privileged enough to have a good enough place to isolate in over the pandemic - this is one of the key reasons I remember, and she complained about it being like a "prison". Her remark was rather insensitive considering that non-white people in America are often locked up in prisons or terrible places to live because of racist cops and/or poverty.

As someone who isn't as personally affected by race issues (even though I'm not white), I would love to be able to isolate myself separate from parents. I don't really care about Ellen though since she was mostly a thing in the 90s (I think) and even then mostly appeals to adults from their thirties in my opinion. To me, she's otherwise too generic too with regards to the entertainment she provides.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/30/20 at 9:31 am

Yeah, that was truly disgusting. And of course, there are the numerous instances of mistreatment by Ellen and her crew from former employees.

Written By: wixness on 05/30/20 at 10:13 am

Yeah, that was truly disgusting. And of course, there are the numerous instances of mistreatment by Ellen and her crew from former employees.
I would assume that this is a symptom of America's pro-employer labor laws but I'm also tempted to say capitalism in general. Once someone has power they can abuse it.

Check for new replies or respond here...