inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Fall of America

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 05/31/20 at 11:03 am

Do you see the U.S being a world superpower by the end of the decade at this rate? 🤔

Subject: Re: The Fall of America

Written By: Sman12 on 05/31/20 at 12:51 pm

Probably. But communist China is also a superpower, and I do not want them to take over the world. That'd be scary for everyone.

Written By: Dundee on 05/31/20 at 3:37 pm

Not if the US keeps electing boorish bullies that keep on tarnishing international relations

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/20 at 3:43 pm

A lotta people sayin' that America's fixin' to fall
Well speakin' just for me
And some people from Tennessee
We've got a thing or two to tell you all
This lady may have stumbled
But she ain't never fell
And if the NWO-ers don't believe that
They can all go straight to hell
We're gonna put her feet back
On the path of righteousness and then
God bless America again

From The Sound up in Long Island
Out to San Francisco Bay
And everthing that's in between them
Is our own
And we may have done a little bit
Of fightin' amongst ourselves
But you outside people best leave us
alone

'Cause we'll all stick together
And you can take that to the bank
That's the cowboys and the hippies
And the rebels and and the yanks
You just go and lay your hand
On a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan
And I think you're gonna finally
understand

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/31/20 at 4:05 pm

Democracy
by Leonard Cohen

It's coming through a hole in the air
From those nights in Tiananmen Square
It's coming from the feel
That this ain't exactly real
Or it's real, but it ain't exactly there
From the wars against disorder
From the sirens night and day
From the fires of the homeless
From the ashes of the gay
Democracy is coming to the USA

It's coming through a crack in the wall
On a visionary flood of alcohol
From the staggering account
Of the Sermon on the Mount
Which I don't pretend to understand at all
It's coming from the silence
On the dock of the bay,
From the brave, the bold, the battered
Heart of Chevrolet

It's coming from the sorrow in the street
The holy places where the races meet
From the homicidal bitchin'
That goes down in every kitchen
To determine who will serve and who will eat
From the wells of disappointment
Where the women kneel to pray
For the grace of God in the desert here
And the desert far away:

Sail on, sail on
O mighty Ship of State
To the Shores of Need
Past the Reefs of Greed
Through the Squalls of Hate
Sail on, sail on, sail on, sail on

It's coming to America first
The cradle of the best and of the worst
It's here they got the range
And the machinery for change
And it's here they got the spiritual thirst
It's here the family's broken
And it's here the lonely say
That the heart has got to open
In a fundamental way

It's coming from the women and the men
O baby, we'll be making love again
We'll be going down so deep
The river's going to weep,
And the mountain's going to shout Amen
It's coming like the tidal flood
Beneath the lunar sway
Imperial, mysterious
In amorous array

I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight
Getting lost in that hopeless little screen
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
That time cannot decay
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
This little wild bouquet

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/31/20 at 6:36 pm

Probably. But communist China is also a superpower, and I do not want them to take over the world. That'd be scary for everyone.

China is not actually Communist, just authoritarian. They practice what is called statist capitalism.

In answer to the thread question, no.

Written By: goodbants on 05/31/20 at 6:45 pm

Remind me to answer this come November

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/31/20 at 9:24 pm

I often find myself wondering if the United States of America as we know it will still exist in 10 years.  :-\\

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/01/20 at 5:33 am

I often find myself wondering if the United States of America as we know it will still exist in 10 years.  :-\\

I'm actually hoping the states will become independent nations, like the former Soviet Union did. I love Georgia but I just wish it wasn't a part of America. I feel like no matter where I go in the country it's the same BS.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/20 at 5:37 am

Remind me to answer this come November
...on Election night?

Written By: wixness on 06/01/20 at 6:39 am

I've seen some people support China on Twitter and YouTube for the following reasons:
They aren't as violent compared to America (strict gun laws and a generally non-violent foreign policy).
They ban shows like The Big Bang Theory (although China has its own reasons for likely banning it, the people on Twitter I've seen approve of the ban of this show cite that it's problematic because it has apparently a ton of racist and sexist tropes).
It has several good things America does not have - universal health care, lack of religious fundamentalism, paid leave, not granting companies with the same legal immunity that America seems to have at least thanks to Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign (microtransactions in games are something China are actually trying to regulate). I've not really seen this being mentioned as much on social networks but I can see why people would prefer China to America for this.
However, in addition to obvious reasons of censorship and torture by the state, China isn't that great:
It's quite sexist (they've censored guys wearing earrings).
They treat their ethnic minorities very badly.
They otherwise enforce their own form of political correctness which defends the increasingly communist-in-name-only Chinese Communist Party - they've introduced market reforms, which makes China a capitalist society, but this capitalism has annoyingly not opened up to improved human rights. This includes using police brutality against protestors in Hong Kong as America does against protestors and ethnic minorities.
I do see though that the world is becoming more and more authoritarian what with our available technology and with, well, people still holding repressive views. People may be disillusioned with democracy too.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/01/20 at 10:54 am

I'm actually hoping the states will become independent nations, like the former Soviet Union did. I love Georgia but I just wish it wasn't a part of America. I feel like no matter where I go in the country it's the same BS.

I wouldn’t wish that kind of Balkanization on my worst enemies. Post-Soviet Russia and the former satellite states suffered from such a dramatic decline in those years that still to this day, none of them have really truly recovered.

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/20 at 2:15 pm

I've seen some people support China on Twitter and YouTube for the following reasons:
They aren't as violent compared to America (strict gun laws and a generally non-violent foreign policy).
They ban shows like The Big Bang Theory (although China has its own reasons for likely banning it, the people on Twitter I've seen approve of the ban of this show cite that it's problematic because it has apparently a ton of racist and sexist tropes).
It has several good things America does not have - universal health care, lack of religious fundamentalism, paid leave, not granting companies with the same legal immunity that America seems to have at least thanks to Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign (microtransactions in games are something China are actually trying to regulate). I've not really seen this being mentioned as much on social networks but I can see why people would prefer China to America for this.
However, in addition to obvious reasons of censorship and torture by the state, China isn't that great:
It's quite sexist (they've censored guys wearing earrings).
They treat their ethnic minorities very badly.
They otherwise enforce their own form of political correctness which defends the increasingly communist-in-name-only Chinese Communist Party - they've introduced market reforms, which makes China a capitalist society, but this capitalism has annoyingly not opened up to improved human rights. This includes using police brutality against protestors in Hong Kong as America does against protestors and ethnic minorities.
I do see though that the world is becoming more and more authoritarian what with our available technology and with, well, people still holding repressive views. People may be disillusioned with democracy too.

Back in the 2000s when America was embroiled in a lot of wars and people talked about China as an upcoming superpower, I was pretty excited. Now that it's happening I'm walking that back lol. China wasn't so evil back then. I think power itself corrupts. No country should have too much power.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/01/20 at 2:54 pm

America can be in its deepest, darkest moments....superpower or not and I will still be PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. That will never change!! ❤

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/20 at 3:07 pm

America can be in its deepest, darkest moments....superpower or not and I will still be PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. That will never change!! ❤

Not trying to incite anything here but I want to know why you are proud to be an American.

Cat

Written By: wixness on 06/01/20 at 3:14 pm

Back in the 2000s when America was embroiled in a lot of wars and people talked about China as an upcoming superpower, I was pretty excited. Now that it's happening I'm walking that back lol. China wasn't so evil back then. I think power itself corrupts. No country should have too much power.
That's interesting to hear but I've been too young to pay attention to politics back then. I've been taught in school at least that China engages in website censorship.

Looking into this on YouTube (at least from a source named China Uncensored, which has an obvious bias I would say is a lesser evil compared to other channels of varying degrees of influence that sometimes practically shill for Chinese businesses, products and institutions), China went bad since the late 90s when Falun Gong was banned by Jiang Zemin, and because everyone then vying and suitable for power still had CCP sympathies even after the market reforms placed by Deng Xiaoping, China gradually went back to being more authoritarian.

Falun Gong are notable for not having a great view on homosexuality although it could have changed and may be less of an issue for some people. Practicing Falun Gong at least within the mainland remains illegal to this day.

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/20 at 3:24 pm

That's interesting to hear but I've been too young to pay attention to politics back then. I've been taught in school at least that China engages in website censorship.

Looking into this on YouTube (at least from a source named China Uncensored, which has an obvious bias I would say is a lesser evil compared to other channels of varying degrees of influence that sometimes practically shill for Chinese businesses, products and institutions), China went bad since the late 90s when Falun Gong was banned by Jiang Zemin, and because everyone then vying and suitable for power still had CCP sympathies even after the market reforms placed by Deng Xiaoping, China gradually went back to being more authoritarian.

Falun Gong are notable for not having a great view on homosexuality although it could have changed and may be less of an issue for some people. Practicing Falun Gong at least within the mainland remains illegal to this day.

I'm not sure when I first heard of Fulan Gong (not in the 90s), but my impression of them was that they were a strange religious cult. Given the terrorist attacks Aum Shinrikyo commited in Japan, even though the two groups aren't related, I think it was very easy to paint these esoteric Asian religious cults as dangerous. Now in retrospect it seems Fulan Gong was right to be as anti-government as it is.

Written By: wixness on 06/01/20 at 3:38 pm

I'm not sure when I first heard of Fulan Gong (not in the 90s), but my impression of them was that they were a strange religious cult. Given the terrorist attacks Aum Shinrikyo commited in Japan, even though the two groups aren't related, I think it was very easy to paint these esoteric Asian religious cults as dangerous. Now in retrospect it seems Fulan Gong was right to be as anti-government as it is.
Granting religious organizations power can still be problematic though (as with the case of like the Taliban, whom the US initially saw as allies in the Afghan War in the 70s and 80s).

Glancing from Wikipedia, Falun Gong were deemed a threat to China because they threatened Marxism, although I'm not very sure if China even lives up to the communist values espoused by Marx and Lenin. The dictatorship has gone on for far too long and the proletariat aren't running the dictatorship. Even with Xi's anti-corruption campaign, it's generally only party members who are calling the shots, who are sympathetic not to crushing the ruling class but controlling every Chinese citizen to what they believe is good for them and the nation.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/01/20 at 3:44 pm

Not trying to incite anything here but I want to know why you are proud to be an American.

Cat

I just am  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/20 at 4:10 pm

I just am  ;D

That is really a terrible answer.

This is MY answer. I believe in the Constitution that holds this country together and I am proud of what it stands for-"We the people in order to form a more perfect union..." I am proud enough that I once put on a uniform to defend her.

However, I am not proud of the fact that "We the people" have excluded others. I am not proud of the fact that discrimination runs deep. I am not proud that the corporations have been running this country. There is so much that we the people can to do to make it a more perfect union.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 06/01/20 at 4:40 pm

That is really a terrible answer.

This is MY answer. I believe in the Constitution that holds this country together and I am proud of what it stands for-"We the people in order to form a more perfect union..." I am proud enough that I once put on a uniform to defend her.

However, I am not proud of the fact that "We the people" have excluded others. I am not proud of the fact that discrimination runs deep. I am not proud that the corporations have been running this country. There is so much that we the people can to do to make it a more perfect union.

Cat

I know. I was just being silly.

Written By: annimal on 06/01/20 at 5:05 pm

I was just thinking about some song having to do with smiling faces

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/20 at 5:23 pm

I heard some Tiananmen Square sh*t is supposed to go down in Washington DC tonight. Troops are marching towards the capital. :o

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/01/20 at 5:25 pm

I heard some Tiananmen Square sh*t is supposed to go down in Washington DC tonight :o

A city-wide curfew has been instated in NYC.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/20 at 5:30 pm

I know. I was just being silly.

But you still didn't answer my question.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/20 at 5:36 pm

A city-wide curfew has been instated in NYC.

I am glad my birthday was in February.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/01/20 at 5:38 pm

I am glad my birthday was in February.

I am glad I don’t live in America.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/01/20 at 5:50 pm

What I presume is the National Guard are now firing rubber bullets at peaceful protestors. While Trump delivers a speech.

What a surreal image.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/01/20 at 5:57 pm

Curfews will be strictly enforced by armed personnel.

Christ, it’s going to be a bloodbath isn’t it?

Written By: violet_shy on 06/01/20 at 5:59 pm

But you still didn't answer my question.

Cat

Well, one of the reasons I am proud is because No matter what the circumstances in life, a person in America has more opportunities than any other to become someone, change the world, and achieve greatness.

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/20 at 6:11 pm

Curfews will be strictly enforced by armed personnel.

Christ, it’s going to be a bloodbath isn’t it?

That was some real Reichstag Fire kind of speech.  :o

If he declares martial law, will it be like how he said "When you are President, the authority is total" a couple of weeks back?  ???

Written By: goodbants on 06/01/20 at 6:14 pm

...on Election night?

Yes

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/20 at 6:44 pm

Well, one of the reasons I am proud is because No matter what the circumstances in life, a person in America has more opportunities than any other to become someone, change the world, and achieve greatness.

That is a good answer.

Cat

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/01/20 at 7:34 pm

That is a good answer.

Cat

Well, it's an answer. I'm not sure a country where just getting sick can financially ruin you is "the land of opportunity."

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/01/20 at 8:35 pm

I've actually never been more ashamed to be American than now.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/01/20 at 9:31 pm

That was some real Reichstag Fire kind of speech.  :o

If he declares martial law, will it be like how he said "When you are President, the authority is total" a couple of weeks back?  ???

I can imagine tanks roaming through American city streets...oh, my goodness.  >:(

Written By: Sman12 on 06/01/20 at 9:56 pm

What I presume is the National Guard are now firing rubber bullets at peaceful protestors. While Trump delivers a speech.

What a surreal image.

This is unlike anything I've ever seen. Feels like you're in a real-life movie.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/01/20 at 10:30 pm

One reason I stay here, it is peaceful and isolated. If it weren’t for the news I’d have no idea there were riots going on. Heck if Northern Michigan dropped off the map I think the only real effect it would have on the rest of the country is a bunch of people would lose vacation homes. Same reason they like it here. That and there would be less sewer grates and manhole covers with EJIW cast into them. I might complain about the long brutal winters and still cold temperatures but it’s a worthwhile trade off.

A lot of Americans aren’t happy about things lately. And we have a right to express opinion. But American is who we are. We are faithful to that. We stay with our country for the good and the bad. Things will get better again. We kinda got blindsided by corona and everyone is on edge. We just have to figure it out. This is not the first time we have had riots and cities on fire.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/01/20 at 10:32 pm

One reason I stay here, it is peaceful and isolated. If it weren’t for the news I’d have no idea there were riots going on. Heck if Northern Michigan dropped off the map I think the only real effect it would have on the rest of the country is a bunch of people would lose vacation homes. Same reason they like it here. That and there would be less sewer grates and manhole covers with EJIW cast into them. I might complain about the long brutal winters and still cold temperatures but it’s a worthwhile trade off.

A lot of Americans aren’t happy about things lately. And we have a right to express opinion. But American is who we are. We are faithful to that. We stay with our country for the good and the bad. Things will get better again. We kinda got blindsided by corona and everyone is on edge. We just have to figure it out. This is not the first time we have had riots and cities on fire.

I hope we become better too. But man. Riots and close-knit protests during a pandemic and a recession in 2020. It's insanity.  :(

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/01/20 at 10:57 pm

Lmfao the same people supporting the riots are the same people who were mad about a stupid anti-lockdown protest a couple months ago. ;D ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/01/20 at 11:20 pm

If you support burning down businesses, burning a homeless man's bed, and destroying buildings because you want "Justice" for George Floyd, you're straight up evil. I don't care what you have to say. There is literally no logical way to justify that.

I know the riots are not representative of BLM. Most of the actual BLM protests are peaceful. But I'm seeing an unbelievable amount of people on my Twitter, Instagram and Facebook supporting the riots. Yet not even that long ago they were all up in arms about a stupid anti-lockdown protest.

You can understand that George Floyd's death was 100% unjustified and at the same time believe the riots are unjustified too.

George Floyd was a peaceful man and he would not like these riots if he was still alive. Rioting isn't gonna bring justice.

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1267526625085870080

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/01/20 at 11:34 pm

These riots aren't even about George Floyd anymore. It's a bunch of idiots trying to take advantage of his death and use it to justify their violence. It's disgusting and inconsiderate as hell.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/01/20 at 11:39 pm

Anyways, I said what I said. I ain't wanna hear anymore stupid excuses anymore.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/0e/fa/c40efaa9cd7d09c5eedcf04e52bae180.jpg

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/02/20 at 5:26 am

Anyways, I said what I said. I ain't wanna hear anymore stupid excuses anymore.

I'm spouting horsesheesh and I know it, so I don't want to have to defend it. Cool.

If you support this:

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?type=webp_1024x576&url=0Ogn0c_0P9iXI6n00

You're the one who's straight up evil. There is simply no excuse.

You know what the difference is between this and the anti-lockdown protests? Well, actually there are two:

1. These folks are protesting because someone was unjustifiably murdered by police like some goddamn animal. He didn't commit a crime, he was just straight up murdered in cold blood. The anti-lockdown protesters just wanted to be able to go boating and get haircuts, and were mad they couldn't go out and do the things they wanted to do.

2. The anti-lockdown protesters stormed a government building threatening to shoot and kill a governor. Say what you want about looting and burning buildings, but these protesters are unarmed. They aren't hurting anyone, and they have no intention of using deadly force against anyone. That's a helluva lot more than I can say for Y'all Qaeda here:

https://images.axios.com/5atFrXMq5VrrhLG10xr8sWmO2kA=/0x272:4000x2522/1920x1080/2020/04/30/1588277531129.jpg

Edit: And regardless of the differences between the two protests, NOTHING justifies a violent response to unarmed protesters. Never ever.

Written By: wixness on 06/02/20 at 5:33 am

The riots are more motivated by the anger against the system - those same people support the lockdown, because the lockdown's opponents care more about money.

They loot because they believe the system is rigged against them - black men and women are more likely to go to jail or die than continue to live honest lives anyway, so why bother with a sometimes openly white supremacist police force? I hear too this issue isn't exclusive to America - in Hungary, cops and neo-Nazis regularly work together to fudge over Hungarians who protest the state's fascist tendencies (it has three major political parties, two who are far right).

Personally I too have no faith in the system - if I didn't care so much about ending up in prison, I'd riot too.

I've also found this article: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/01/opinions/trump-america-more-like-china-opinion-mackinnon/index.html
Remember the Hanoi summit too when he spoke well of North Korea's leader.

Written By: wixness on 06/02/20 at 7:25 am

https://hail-lucifina.tumblr.com/post/619388550113263616/
This list of Black people murdered is why Americans at least have next to no faith in the police and the justice system and why they wish to steal from it and try to even destroy it.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/20 at 7:39 am

I Love America!

Written By: Howard on 06/02/20 at 7:41 am

I am glad I don’t live in America.

Where do you live?

Written By: Howard on 06/02/20 at 7:43 am

This is unlike anything I've ever seen. Feels like you're in a real-life movie.

protests are going on just as we speak.  :o

Written By: Sman12 on 06/02/20 at 8:27 am

You can understand that George Floyd's death was 100% unjustified and at the same time believe the riots are unjustified too.

George Floyd was a peaceful man and he would not like these riots if he was still alive. Rioting isn't gonna bring justice.

100% agree.

Peaceful protesting? I feel :) about that.

But rioting and violence like it's GTA?  >:( No way.

Written By: 1997days on 06/02/20 at 9:07 am

If you support burning down businesses, burning a homeless man's bed, and destroying buildings because you want "Justice" for George Floyd, you're straight up evil. I don't care what you have to say. There is literally no logical way to justify that.

I know the riots are not representative of BLM. Most of the actual BLM protests are peaceful. But I'm seeing an unbelievable amount of people on my Twitter, Instagram and Facebook supporting the riots. Yet not even that long ago they were all up in arms about a stupid anti-lockdown protest.

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1267526625085870080
This is 100% CORRECT like rainbowz said because we need to be actually attacking the real source like those so called police than just going around destroying cities, because america wont recover acting like were in some video game destroying thing.If your going to protest do it but this might not be the most logical way unless we want america to be unevitable destroyed within a matter of months, but i still love america we just have to get it together and stop letting evil have its way.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/02/20 at 10:01 am

Dr. Cornel West articulates the problem that has broiled over to this point perfectly:

hw8v9yIs7CY

At this moment, we need to all come together in solidarity against systematic racism, oppression, injustice, corruption, and power. The people in power want to make this a race war, they want to polarize us on the riots that have taken place, they want us to ultimately remain divided. We cannot allow that to occur. #solidarity

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/02/20 at 10:07 am

100% agree.

Peaceful protesting? I feel :) about that.

But rioting and violence like it's GTA?  >:( No way.

I posted this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/seculartalk/comments/gtzb27/tangible_policies_we_should_be_seeking_for_in/

These are examples of tangible policies that we should all be seeking; left, right, liberal, conservative, it doesn't matter. Regardless on how you feel about how some of these protests may have turned out, we should not let that divide us on actually seeking justice, not just for George Floyd, but for every single American that has been wrongly murdered by the hands of our police force. Not to mention completely dismantling and constructing a new criminal justice system that actually works for 'the people, that they swore duty to serve', that includes this:

https://preview.redd.it/u5uofziqt3251.png?width=1226&format=png&auto=webp&s=3ab3ce0f2b33bd4adbfd345e3a60f1293131f713

https://preview.redd.it/xgbgnggst3251.png?width=1214&format=png&auto=webp&s=70f4f482a235056c772fa8c7b0532e43fd834754

Among various other important initiatives.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/02/20 at 10:12 am

Dr. Cornel West articulates the problem that has broiled over to this point perfectly:

hw8v9yIs7CY

At this moment, we need to all come together in solidarity against systematic racism, oppression, injustice, corruption, and power. The people in power want to make this a race war, they want to polarize us on the riots that have taken place, they want us to ultimately remain divided. We cannot allow that to occur. #solidarity

Yup, if you mean Donald Trump and his white supremacist supporters.  And yes, we do need to come together against systemic racism, oppression, injustice and corruption, but without power prudently exercised by legitimate authority according to just laws we have chaos and anarchy under which no one is safe

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/02/20 at 10:38 am

Yup, if you mean Donald Trump and his white supremacist supporters.  And yes, we do need to come together against systemic racism, oppression, injustice and corruption, but without power prudently exercised by legitimate authority according to just laws we have chaos and anarchy under which no one is safe

Welp..... not just him, although he's obviously at the core of what is wrong. However, it's an indictment on the entire system, a system that allowed Trump to rise into power in the first place. But nonetheless, that's water under the bridge. We need to unify more than ever, otherwise we won't have any tools left in our possession to fight this evil off. Trump is flirting with the idea of labelling Antifa as a terrorist organization, that would be a fatal blow to the First Amendment. More than ever, we need to be marching in the streets and pressuring our leaders in working towards new laws.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/20 at 12:47 pm

Welp..... not just him, although he's obviously at the core of what is wrong. However, it's an indictment on the entire system, a system that allowed Trump to rise into power in the first place. But nonetheless, that's water under the bridge. We need to unify more than ever, otherwise we won't have any tools left in our possession to fight this evil off. Trump is flirting with the idea of labelling Antifa as a terrorist organization, that would be a fatal blow to the First Amendment. More than ever, we need to be marching in the streets and pressuring our leaders in working towards new laws.

This could be a step towards becoming a total police state. Especially if Trump gets reelected he might declare anyone who disagrees with him to be treated as a terrorist.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/02/20 at 2:20 pm

This could be a step towards becoming a total police state. Especially if Trump gets reelected he might declare anyone who disagrees with him to be treated as a terrorist.

This is one of my biggest concerns.

Also, does anyone remember how, 7 or 8 years ago, people started freaking out when Obama revealed that the National Security Agency has been monitoring everyone's Internet activity?

Donald Trump has access to this now. My biggest fear is that, should he win reelection, Trump will order the NSA to dig through everyone's Facebook and Twitter (and all other social media) accounts for any kind of negative comments about him and place anyone who has made those comments on some kind of "enemies list."

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he's already started doing that.  :o :o :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/20 at 2:44 pm

Also, does anyone remember how, 7 or 8 years ago, people started freaking out when Obama revealed that the National Security Agency has been monitoring everyone's Internet activity?

Donald Trump has access to this now. My biggest fear is that, should he win reelection, Trump will order the NSA to dig through everyone's Facebook and Twitter (and all other social media) accounts for any kind of negative comments about him and place anyone who has made those comments on some kind of "enemies list."

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he's already started doing that.  :o :o :o

I think tRump is too stupid to do something like that. But, Barr on the other hand...

Cat

Written By: Sman12 on 06/02/20 at 4:14 pm

I have a inkling that Trump's base is so strong, that nothing that he does to some of them is wrong.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/02/20 at 6:02 pm

I think tRump is too stupid to do something like that. But, Barr on the other hand...

Cat

None of this is new. Richard Nixon had his famed "enemies list".

Written By: wixness on 06/02/20 at 6:07 pm

I have a inkling that Trump's base is so strong, that nothing that he does to some of them is wrong.
Absolutely. According to a recent BBC article, religious fundies still love him and were the only major demographic to approve of Trump's response to COVID-19.

Written By: 2001 on 06/02/20 at 6:12 pm

Absolutely. According to a recent BBC article, religious fundies still love him and were the only major demographic to approve of Trump's response to COVID-19.

There are some who think he's the literal Messiah. I wish I was kidding. People put TRUMP in big giant letters across their trucks, decorate their cars with Trump bumper stickers, wear shirts with his face on them, wear his hat etc. it's a full-fledged personality cult. When he dies, there will be grandiose statues, paintings, documentaries and mythologies of him, you can be sure of that. He might even show up on the currency and become the next Andrew Jackson ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/20 at 6:16 pm

None of this is new. Richard Nixon had his famed "enemies list".

The difference is that Nixon had brains.

Cat

Written By: wixness on 06/02/20 at 6:17 pm

There are some who think he's the literal Messiah. I wish I was kidding. People put TRUMP in big giant letters across their trucks, decorate their cars with Trump bumper stickers, wear shirts with his face on them, wear his hat etc. it's a full-fledged personality cult. When he dies, there will be grandiose statues, paintings, documentaries and mythologies of him, you can be sure of that. He might even show up on the currency and become the next Andrew Jackson ::)
I've seen some attribute his approval of moving the US Embassy of Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem to him being the second coming of Christ because of some historical event about some guy in Persia.
It only serves to put me off of religion even further.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/02/20 at 6:29 pm

Cat

That's correct. Nixon was actually a member of Mensa. How he used his intelligence is another story altogether.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/02/20 at 8:05 pm

That's correct. Nixon was actually a member of Mensa. How he used his intelligence is another story altogether.

Nixon also didn't have Fox News, a Senate willing to derogate its duty (granted, Bush had this), a DoJ that serves as the President's personal lawyer rather than the nation's advocate (Reagan had this, and wouldn't ya know it, it's the same guy as last time!), or a Supreme Court willing to serve as a rubber stamp for partisan policies.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/03/20 at 2:44 am

Cat

I don't think he's nearly as dumb as he lets on. If anything, I think he knows exactly what he's doing and he's just good at playing dumb to make himself seem more appealing to "common folk" and to try and bait the left into underestimating and hating him as much as possible.

There are some who think he's the literal Messiah. I wish I was kidding. People put TRUMP in big giant letters across their trucks, decorate their cars with Trump bumper stickers, wear shirts with his face on them, wear his hat etc. it's a full-fledged personality cult.

On Interstate 80 between Omaha and Lincoln there's a big red barn just off the side of the road that has a huge TRUMP sign on it. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it and post it here sometime.

When he dies, there will be grandiose statues, paintings, documentaries and mythologies of him, you can be sure of that. He might even show up on the currency and become the next Andrew Jackson ::)

This all depends upon whether or not he wins reelection. An oft-repeated phrase is that the history books are written by the winners. Should he lose in November and actually leave office peacefully next January, you can rest assured that lots of things will come out about Trump as government files on him are declassified and leaked to the press and he very well could get indicted somewhere down the road. Tellingly, there are no US Navy vessels named after Richard Nixon, and should Donald Trump's name get tarnished in a similar way then you probably won't see any monuments to Trump except for maybe a few made by some remaining fanatical diehards.

Should he win, however, all bets are off. If that happens, Trump could have his face added to Mount Rushmore for all we know.  :o :o :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/20 at 3:05 am

On Interstate 80 between Omaha and Lincoln there's a big red barn just off the side of the road that has a huge TRUMP sign on it. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it and post it here sometime.

Looking on Google Maps, I see that stretch of the Interstate 80 is around 60 miles, so it could take all day in locating it using that method, but is this the barn?

https://static.politico.com/dims4/default/2b549ce/2147483647/resize/1160x/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F38%2F05%2F3501c79f493daf13e7fd6758a975%2F180725-farmers-ap-1160.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/03/20 at 3:43 am

Looking on Google Maps, I see that stretch of the Interstate 80 is around 60 miles, so it could take all day in locating it using that method, but is this the barn?

https://static.politico.com/dims4/default/2b549ce/2147483647/resize/1160x/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F38%2F05%2F3501c79f493daf13e7fd6758a975%2F180725-farmers-ap-1160.jpg

Yes, that's it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/20 at 3:44 am

Yes, that's it.
O0

That is good.

My Internet skills are still with me!

Written By: Howard on 06/03/20 at 4:19 am

I don't think he's nearly as dumb as he lets on. If anything, I think he knows exactly what he's doing and he's just good at playing dumb to make himself seem more appealing to "common folk" and to try and bait the left into underestimating and hating him as much as possible.

This all depends upon whether or not he wins reelection. An oft-repeated phrase is that the history books are written by the winners. Should he lose in November and actually leave office peacefully next January, you can rest assured that lots of things will come out about Trump as government files on him are declassified and leaked to the press and he very well could get indicted somewhere down the road. Tellingly, there are no US Navy vessels named after Richard Nixon, and should Donald Trump's name get tarnished in a similar way then you probably won't see any monuments to Trump except for maybe a few made by some remaining fanatical diehards.

Should he win, however, all bets are off. If that happens, Trump could have his face added to Mount Rushmore for all we know. :o :o :o

God I hope that doesn't happen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/20 at 8:26 am

Should he win, however, all bets are off. If that happens, Trump could have his face added to Mount Rushmore for all we know.  :o :o :o
...and how will the Election be achieved if social distancing still has to take place?

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/03/20 at 8:52 am

Vote by mail, hopefully. Although from what I’ve seen, there are plenty of Wisconsinites and Michiganders willing to risk disease and death to retake their country.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/03/20 at 9:51 am

People say is the savior of our country, who saved us from the devil that was Obama. If people in my church said something like that then I will withdraw my membership and find another one, even if they so much as try to convince people to vote for Trump.

Written By: karen on 06/03/20 at 10:47 am

People say is the savior of our country, who saved us from the devil that was Obama. If people in my church said something like that then I will withdraw my membership and find another one, even if they so much as try to convince people to vote for Trump.

We were living in the US in 2008 and in the run up to the election a woman at the gym I went to said she thought Obama was the AntiChrist  ::) I had to walk out. Never spoke to her again

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/20 at 12:47 pm

If he wins, the United States as we know it will cease to exist.

Cat

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/03/20 at 2:36 pm

Cat

Hence why he was very dangerous :(. Heck, the 'War on Drugs' still rages on to this day.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/04/20 at 12:34 am

Do you think it’s possible for Trump to win this year’s election if he still loses the popular vote, like it happened in 2016?

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/04/20 at 12:44 am

The U.S. police force has a long history of subliminally declaring war on the black community. As a whole, they are a disgrace to this country, the world is finally opening its eyes.

Written By: wixness on 06/04/20 at 6:52 am

Do you think it’s possible for Trump to win this year’s election if he still loses the popular vote, like it happened in 2016?
It is, because the electoral college still exists. Even Trump wanted it abolished, but he got in anyway and has since remained silent on the matter.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/20 at 8:05 am

Vote by mail, hopefully. Although from what I’ve seen, there are plenty of Wisconsinites and Michiganders willing to risk disease and death to retake their country.

That's what our family have been doing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/20 at 8:22 am

Can voting by mail be more open to fraud?

Written By: mqg96 on 06/04/20 at 8:37 am

The U.S. police force has a long history of subliminally declaring war on the black community. As a whole, they are a disgrace to this country, the world is finally opening its eyes.

Oh hey Millennium! It's been awhile, and yeah, what's happened in our country the past week or so. We're sick and tired of being sick and tired! As an African American male I shouldn't have to be worried or feel like I'm in danger whenever I walk by myself in my neighborhood, but here we are. The entire police force has been corrupt for years and decades.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/04/20 at 10:17 am

I wholly disagree. More whites get killed by the police than blacks on average, with 370 whites being killed and 235 blacks being killed in 2019 according to a Statista report. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/)

Plus, a 77-year-old African-American retired police chief by the name of David Dorn was murdered by looters who stole TVs as he was trying to protect his friend's pawn shop. Doesn't his life matter, too?

https://media.ksdk.com/assets/KSDK/images/3383ea2f-5457-41fb-8afd-ace1b9a7b23c/3383ea2f-5457-41fb-8afd-ace1b9a7b23c_1920x1080.jpg

Don't get me wrong, George Floyd should've never been murdered. But I won't paint him as a martyr/hero as well. The dude was a long-time criminal as he spent five years in prison for a 2009 assault of a pregnant woman as he broke inside her home and put a gun into her stomach and demanded money. He also had past charges of firearm theft and cocaine possession.

Written By: wixness on 06/04/20 at 10:37 am

I wholly disagree. More whites get killed by the police than blacks on average, with 370 whites being killed and 235 blacks being killed in 2019 according to a Statista report. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/)

Plus, a 77-year-old African-American retired police chief by the name of David Dorn was murdered by looters who stole TVs as he was trying to protect his friend's pawn shop. Doesn't his life matter, too?

https://media.ksdk.com/assets/KSDK/images/3383ea2f-5457-41fb-8afd-ace1b9a7b23c/3383ea2f-5457-41fb-8afd-ace1b9a7b23c_1920x1080.jpg

Don't get me wrong, George Floyd should've never been murdered. But I won't paint him as a martyr/hero as well. The dude was a long-time criminal as he spent five years in prison for a 2009 assault of a pregnant woman as he broke inside her home and put a gun into her stomach and demanded money. He also had past charges of firearm theft and cocaine possession.
The point is, people are seeing issues with the police as an institution, and the state and capitalism. Even if more white people get murdered than black people, black people are less likely to be taken seriously by the legal system than white people - white people can typically afford to get justice for a victim of a murder or some other crime while black people have almost nothing for themselves. It's all been rigged since America's founding.
Protestors are frustrated with a white supremacist regime where black people have long been denied any meaningful liberation and solutions to combat their problems have been incremental at best. Looters do want free stuff, but some want it because the system will still screw them over and they can't wait or be bothered with trying to get stuff legitimately.
Depending on the individual some people may oppose black cops too. The police have openly hired and in some cases worked with white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

Written By: Dundee on 06/04/20 at 1:32 pm

If we compare to the US demographics, 12% of the population is black and 72% is white. Yet in 2019, 30% of police brutality against known ethnicities was committed to black people (twice more than Hispanics despite outnumbering black people) compared white's 50%.
Statistically that is very unbalanced and something is indeed fishy.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/20 at 1:56 pm

Unfortunately, it can happen. Last year, someone (I can't recall who) was saying that Trump could win with a larger deficient of the popular vote than he did in 2016. But, that was last year. Who knows what else is going to happen between now and Nov.

Can voting by mail be more open to fraud?

That is the argument they want to use to prevent voting by mail. Here are some statistics. http://voterfraudfacts.com/voter-fraud-statistics/ Unfortunately, they don't say WHEN this article was written.

To me, the most voter fraud happens when people who are registered are not allowed to vote. Or when they did vote but their votes weren't counted for whatever reason. In 2018, there was a major voter fraud case in North Carolina involving someone who went around (illegally) telling people they could vote absentee and they filled out some paperwork. So those people believed they had already voted (which they didn't).

https://www.gq.com/story/north-carolina-ninth-district-fraud

BTW, Carlos & I just voted in mail-in ballot for a special election our town is having this Tuesday (for the school budget). Instead of spending on the postage, Carlos took it over to our town office (which I can see the building from where I am sitting right now).

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/04/20 at 2:02 pm

All because he passed a counterfeit 20 dollar bill, could it have been by accident maybe? Didn't he have another real 20 dollar bill in his wallet?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/20 at 2:08 pm

All because he passed a counterfeit 20 dollar bill, could it have been by accident maybe? Didn't he have another real 20 dollar bill in his wallet?  ???

But should the death penalty be used for passing a $20 counterfeit bill?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/20 at 2:09 pm

That is the argument they want to use to prevent voting by mail. Here are some statistics. http://voterfraudfacts.com/voter-fraud-statistics/ Unfortunately, they don't say WHEN this article was written.

To me, the most voter fraud happens when people who are registered are not allowed to vote. Or when they did vote but their votes weren't counted for whatever reason. In 2018, there was a major voter fraud case in North Carolina involving someone who went around (illegally) telling people they could vote absentee and they filled out some paperwork. So those people believed they had already voted (which they didn't).

https://www.gq.com/story/north-carolina-ninth-district-fraud

BTW, Carlos & I just voted in mail-in ballot for a special election our town is having this Tuesday (for the school budget). Instead of spending on the postage, Carlos took it over to our town office (which I can see the building from where I am sitting right now).

Cat
Slightly off topic but involves voting fraud, there is a story whether it is true or not I do not know, but I like it. In the Philippines, during the Marcus reign there was an election and the area of Turtle Islands returned around 4,000 votes from a voting population of 800, it is said the turtles came out to vote.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/20 at 2:41 pm

But should the death penalty be used for passing a $20 counterfeit bill?

Cat

I'm sure it could've been by accident, I mean how many counterfeits have people passed in their lifetime? A true story, I went to buy some lunch at Popeye's a couple of months ago and I didn't know one of the bills I gave them was a counterfeit bill so I apologized, stepped out and left.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/20 at 3:20 pm

Slightly off topic but involves voting fraud, there is a story whether it is true or not I do not know, but I like it. In the Philippines, during the Marcus reign there was an election and the area of Turtle Islands returned around 4,000 votes from a voting population of 800, it is said the turtles came out to vote.

I also heard stories that in the 2004 election, Bush had more votes than the population in some towns. Again, don't know how true it was.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/20 at 3:22 pm

I'm sure it could've been by accident, I mean how many counterfeits have people passed in their lifetime? A true story, I went to buy some lunch at Popeye's a couple of months ago and I didn't know one of the bills I gave them was a counterfeit bill so I apologized, stepped out and left.

My point was that whether it was an accident or not, it certainly didn't deserve the death penalty. Especially without a trial.

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/04/20 at 4:16 pm

I would have no idea if I was passing a phony bill. But I carry so little cash that I could probably tell you exactly where I got it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/04/20 at 11:40 pm

These are nothing but the typical right-wing/centrist talking head points. I have heard the "white Americans are killed more by the police than Black Americans" rebuttal one too many times. Quite frankly, I am tired of responding to it. Black Americans make up only 13% of the American population, white Americans make up a much greater percentage than that (over 70%). That means that more white people are going to have encounters with the police. That does not mean that white people are being killed at a higher rate than blacks, the opposite is true.
Blacks are killed at least a 23% rate, while white are killed at 8%. That is 235 blacks killed out of a population of 13% and 370 whites out of a population of 70%. The two do not compare, period.

You are also overlooking key components, including the long history of the U.S. police officials and the black community, the ways in which laws are bias towards white criminals so that they have the ability to receive less severe sentences, how prejudice leads to more aggressive behavior when dealing with black suspects, and other factors.

Who asked anyone to paint him as a hero or martyr? No one is doing that, his death is being used  as symbolism for police brutality within the  black community all across the world. That is not equal to painting him as a hero. Heros and martyr are individuals who are upheld for their nobility or who are murdered for their beliefs/fight for social justice. Protesters who are out here putting their lives on the line everyday are the martyrs.

Lastly, what does that officer being killed have to do with what I posted?  Don't try to use another black person against me to gain sympathy, because I do not care if an officer is black or white. I literally said, the police force as a whole have declared war the black community for decades. They train their officers to think a certain way and be apathetic. Something that has been seen throughout this entire ordeal. The truth is in the videos online for the world to see now.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/05/20 at 6:04 am

On the subject of numbers:

https://i.imgur.com/R435g7h.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/05/20 at 7:51 am

My point was that whether it was an accident or not, it certainly didn't deserve the death penalty. Especially without a trial.

Cat

Maybe he went to buy something to eat and he didn't know the bill was a phony, but you're right he didn't deserve to die.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/20 at 7:51 am

I would have no idea if I was passing a phony bill. But I carry so little cash that I could probably tell you exactly where I got it.

I'm not sure where mine came from.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/05/20 at 8:38 am

If we compare to the US demographics, 12% of the population is black and 72% is white. Yet in 2019, 30% of police brutality against known ethnicities was committed to black people (twice more than Hispanics despite outnumbering black people) compared white's 50%.
Statistically that is very unbalanced and something is indeed fishy.

I was about to say that. You can't conflate the numbers, as Blacks are only 12% of the population. Another similar statistic is drug usage. Blacks and Whites both use marijuana at similar rates, but Blacks are four times more likely to be charged and convicted for using it, compared to whites.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/05/20 at 9:28 am

There is no question that our criminal justice system is replete with systemic racism, and no wonder, our whole society is replete with systemic racism.  Our country was built on the enslavement of one race and the extermination of another

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/06/20 at 9:19 am

Sinclair Lewis said "when fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross".  See Trump's photo op at St John's church.  But the military is in revolt against using troops against civilian protesters.  So maybe that day isn't as near as I feared

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/06/20 at 10:47 am

I find it laughable that there are people out there that think Trump is a friend of the common people.

All he did to get more money growing up was inherit money from his already-billionaire parents, then gambled billions of  it to only occasionally get more money than he put in.

Somebody who has lived a life as effortless as that is not somebody I want controlling anything.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/06/20 at 11:48 am

Sinclair Lewis said "when fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross".  See Trump's photo op at St John's church.  But the military is in revolt against using troops against civilian protesters.  So maybe that day isn't as near as I feared

If Trump gets reelected I can imagine a society so dystopian that it will make even 2020 look like the "good 'ol days" by comparison. Think "1984" meets "A Handmaid's Tale".

I find it laughable that there are people out there that think Trump is a friend of the common people.

All he did to get more money growing up was inherit money from his already-billionaire parents, then gambled billions of  it to only occasionally get more money than he put in.

Somebody who has lived a life as effortless as that is not somebody I want controlling anything.

I've known people thought he would be great for the economy since he's a businessman and good at handling money.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/20 at 1:29 pm

If Trump gets reelected I can imagine a society so dystopian that it will make even 2020 look like the "good 'ol days" by comparison. Think "1984" meets "A Handmaid's Tale".

I've known people thought he would be great for the economy since he's a businessman and good at handling money.

Yeah, he was such a good businessman that he had to file bankruptcy SIX TIMES!!!!   Now, it looks like he is bankrupting the U.S.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/06/20 at 3:09 pm

So how is he making America great?  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 06/06/20 at 4:39 pm

dddd K-Pop fans flooding fascist hashtags like #Trump2020 with K-Pop videos.

We stan queens, not has-beens!

https://i.gifer.com/ToKa.gif

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/06/20 at 4:41 pm

HAHAHA yeah!

Written By: wixness on 06/06/20 at 6:03 pm

Bringing it back two centuries when unions were brutally suppressed, women lived like shadows compared to men, gays were forced to be cured, racism was accepted etc.

Written By: 2001 on 06/07/20 at 12:18 am

There is already another country called Georgia.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/20 at 7:29 am

HAHAHA yeah!

He has made friends with evil dictators such as Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin.  ::)

Written By: goodbants on 06/07/20 at 10:04 pm

I’ve been feeling really pessimistic lately. I honestly don’t know if I’m catastrophizing things or if they really are as bad as they seem. I just feel like something really, really bad is around the corner. Anyone else feel this? I am scared, especially after reading this article:

https://eand.co/this-is-americas-fascist-collapse-c830c1d2271a

Everything seems so hopeless.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/07/20 at 10:53 pm

I’ve been feeling really pessimistic lately. I honestly don’t know if I’m catastrophizing things or if they really are as bad as they seem. I just feel like something really, really bad is around the corner. Anyone else feel this? I am scared, especially after reading this article:

"Catastrophizing". An interesting word.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/08/20 at 8:25 am

Bringing it back two centuries when unions were brutally suppressed, women lived like shadows compared to men, gays were forced to be cured, racism was accepted etc.

He's making America for Americans only. No immigrants allowed. My own wife might get deported.

There is already another country called Georgia.

Georgia will have to change its name to avoid confusion. Maybe it can be named after Kemp, lol.

Like I've been saying, 2020 might be a good year compared to what's to follow. I've been inspired to write a book about a dystopian America in the future with a future president that makes Trump look like Mister Rogers, but now it might be too much like reality.

Written By: wixness on 06/08/20 at 8:32 am

He's making America for Americans only. No immigrants allowed. My own wife might get deported.
Essentially only white people, and once they got that sorted out, only white Christians (or white people who conform to conservative Christian norms irrespective of religion).

Written By: Sman12 on 06/08/20 at 9:37 am

Okay, well, that's a reach. My stepmom immigrated here from Liberia through legal documentation last year, so she was definitely allowed.

I don't think you and your wife have anything to worry about as well. People who are undocumented in the U.S. have things to worry about.

Plus, this should be in the Politics thread.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/08/20 at 10:25 am

Essentially only white people, and once they got that sorted out, only white Christians (or white people who conform to conservative Christian norms irrespective of religion).

I'm glad you clarified. There's a huge difference between people who actually follow Christ and His teachings in the Bible and those who call themselves Christians just because they attend church every Sunday but their actions completely contradict the Bible. For the latter group it seems like you just have to be pro-life and anti-gay and whatever else conforms to their cult of personality and they will turn a blind eye to everything else. I refuse to attend a church that tries to make it mandatory to vote Republican. I used to go to one and it made me miserable.

Okay, well, that's a reach. My stepmom immigrated here from Liberia through legal documentation last year, so she was definitely allowed.

I don't think you and your wife have anything to worry about as well. People who are undocumented in the U.S. have things to worry about.

Plus, this should be in the Politics thread.

My wife is Ukrainian and we are worried, because she already got denied once. We have refiled. They have suspected our marriage is fraudulent.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/08/20 at 10:25 am

These are nothing but the typical right-wing/centrist talking head points. I have heard the "white Americans are killed more by the police than Black Americans" rebuttal one too many times. Quite frankly, I am tired of responding to it. Black Americans make up only 13% of the American population, white Americans make up a much greater percentage than that (over 70%). That means that more white people are going to have encounters with the police. That does not mean that white people are being killed at a higher rate than blacks, the opposite is true.
Blacks are killed at least a 23% rate, while white are killed at 8%. That is 235 blacks killed out of a population of 13% and 370 whites out of a population of 70%. The two do not compare, period.

You are also overlooking key components, including the long history of the U.S. police officials and the black community, the ways in which laws are bias towards white criminals so that they have the ability to receive less severe sentences, how prejudice leads to more aggressive behavior when dealing with black suspects, and other factors.

Fair enough, and I understand the disproportionate rate of encounters with black people getting killed by police officers with your analysis.

But the amount of unarmed blacks getting shot dead is actually really low. According to the Washington Post, only 10 unarmed black people were shot dead in 2019, and there are over 40 million of us. Like with every other race, black people are killed more by their own race than police officers. From 1976 to 2005, 94% of black victims were killed by other black people (https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2019/12/22/the-need-to-discuss-black-on-black-crime/).

If there was a full-on police war against black people in this day and age, then I fail to see it.

Written By: goodbants on 06/08/20 at 3:58 pm

"Catastrophizing". An interesting word.

It’s a psychological term

https://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-catastrophizing/

Written By: 2001 on 06/09/20 at 11:57 pm

Fair enough, and I understand the disproportionate rate of encounters with black people getting killed by police officers with your analysis.

But the amount of unarmed blacks getting shot dead is actually really low. According to the Washington Post, only 10 unarmed black people were shot dead in 2019, and there are over 40 million of us. Like with every other race, black people are killed more by their own race than police officers. From 1976 to 2005, 94% of black victims were killed by other black people (https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2019/12/22/the-need-to-discuss-black-on-black-crime/).

If there was a full-on police war against black people in this day and age, then I fail to see it.

Lynchings also only killed 50-200 people a year during their heyday (around 60-130 for Black people), and there were 3 lynchings in 1938 when Billie Holiday sang Strange Fruit. Do you think that was overblown too? Would you feel safe if lynching was still around?  ???

https://www.famous-trials.com/sheriffshipp/1084-lynchingsyear

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/10/20 at 1:03 am

But the amount of unarmed blacks getting shot dead is actually really low. According to the Washington Post, only 10 unarmed black people were shot dead in 2019, and there are over 40 million of us.

The Washington Post only reports individuals who have been shot by police. They do not include suspects killed using other means of force. For example, because officers did not use firearms, even high-profile cases such as George Floyd, Eric Garner, and Freddie Gray are not found in the database; much less low-profile cases.

There are many forms of police brutality outside of gunfire including choking or restraint of the neck, body-pinning, punching, kicking, tasering, macing, and K9 bites among others. According to MappingPoliceViolence, which accounts for killings by police with a firearm or other force; from 2013-19 unarmed black suspects were still 1.3x more likely to be killed than their white counterparts. In 2015, Unarmed blacks were killed at 5x the rate of unarmed whites.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org]

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed

And according to Washington Post, in 2015 they found that of all fatal shootings involving unarmed suspects, 40% were unarmed black men and that black men were less likely to be attacking a police officer before being shot compared to their white counter parts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/study-finds-police-fatally-shoot-unarmed-black-men-at-disproportionate-rates/2016/04/06/e494563e-fa74-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html

That number has decreased since 2015 and probably in part to the scrutiny police have been experiencing in the media.

However, this is still only one component of police brutality. There are also instances of excessive, but non-lethal force by an officer, much of which is also under reported. Then there are other factors I listed in my previous post that contribute to the strained relationship between police and the black community.

Like with every other race, black people are killed more by their own race than police officers. From 1976 to 2005, 94% of black victims were killed by other black people (https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2019/12/22/the-need-to-discuss-black-on-black-crime/).

A trend that is to be expected if most races live together in concentrated areas. No matter how severely you decrease crime and homicide, this figure will remain true as long as communities are segregated.

Police can be of any race. In the 70s, police departments were required to hire more people of color and in modern times, some cities hire more officers of color as police reform. Sometimes, officers of a certain race are deployed into communities that reflect their race, including black police officers. However, blacks are still disproportionately killed at higher rate even where there are more black police officers. So on a different note, it is not clear if that 94% statistic includes black officers who kill black suspects. I'm not able to determine that from the article. Criticism of police is less about the individual and more about the institution as a whole and it relates to the justice system. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/20 at 1:41 pm

This is from the movie The Great Debaters-based on a true story. Excellent movie, BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDw_YXOh8N8&t=4s

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/11/20 at 8:41 am

So Merriam Webster is updating their definition of racism to include systemic racism at the instigation of a young black woman - about time

Check for new replies or respond here...