inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip Hop trends that started in 2018/19 that could influence the early '20s sound

Written By: passthegabagool on 06/10/20 at 8:44 pm

What's up y'all. Often in hip hop, many trends of the early years of the following decade happen in the 8/9 years of the previous one. Such as 1999 to the early 2000s with new artists such as Eminem and 2009 to the early 2010s with new artists such as Drake.

Here's some trends in hip hop that started in late 2018/2019 that I think are probably going to influence and distinguish the sound of the early 2020s (2020-2022/23), let me know what y'all think.

-bassier sound due to the style of Polo G, Blueface and DaBaby's beats.

-heavier hi hats/drum patterns used, I noticed this trend starting in late 2018.

-rapping off-beat may become a trend in the early 2020s due to the Blueface blowing up in 2018.

-aside from Lil Baby, it seems that mumble rap mostly disappeared by 2019.

-a new R&B sound that includes influences from modern hip hop such as hi hats returned around 2017/18 after a long time of being largely unpopular (besides Drake) and will probably stay into the early 2020s.

Rappers that I think will remain relevant for a good part of the early 2020s are definitely DaBaby, Roddy Ricch, and Polo G, and maybe Lil Baby, NLE Choppa and Blueface as well.

Subject: Re: Hip Hop trends that started in 2018/19 that could influence the early '20s sound

Written By: XYkid on 06/27/20 at 3:25 pm

All I know is I am so done with Trap rap, and I really hope it dies soon.

Subject: Re: Hip Hop trends that started in 2018/19 that could influence the early '20s sound

Written By: mc98 on 06/27/20 at 5:30 pm

The sound of rap today can be described as having a loud bass and heavier hi-hats. Also, the synths are airy and sometimes the songs are string-based which started with Lucid Dreams.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/29/20 at 5:06 pm

All I know is I am so done with Trap rap, and I really hope it dies soon.

Same.  But I'm still astonished on how trap managed to even last this long in the always-changing musical landscape.  I don't even think crunk or snap rap lasted this long in popularity (the genres peaked in the mid-2000s).

Check for new replies or respond here...