inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quaker Oats to change name and image of Aunt Jemima brand

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/17/20 at 6:09 pm

Quaker Oats to change name and image of Aunt Jemima brand:

www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/business/aunt-jemima-racial-stereotype.html

Subject: Re: Quaker Oats to change name and image of Aunt Jemima brand

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/20 at 6:16 pm

For years now, the lady on the Aunt Jemima label has been an attractive black woman who looks to be about 30 years old with a nice smile and a 'natural' hair-do.  This is lunacy.

If we are gonna do stuff like this, then we need to expel the former Confederate states from the Union.  After all, those states fought to the death to perpetuate slavery etc.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/17/20 at 6:27 pm

For years now, the lady on the Aunt Jemima label has been an attractive black woman who looks to be about 30 years old with a nice smile and a 'natural' hair-do.  This is lunacy.

If we are gonna do stuff like this, then we need to expel the former Confederate states from the Union.  After all, those states fought to the death to perpetuate slavery etc.

I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other. Yes, Aunt Jemima is a racist stereotype. It has been since the start.

As for the Confederate states leaving the Union. They tried that once before-AND LOST 155 years ago! I think people are FINALLY getting that the Confederate LOST!!! We are now entering another Reconstruction era. Hopefully this time we get it right.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/17/20 at 6:54 pm

I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other. Yes, Aunt Jemima is a racist stereotype. It has been since the start.

Cat

I knew someone way back in the late 70s/early 80s who did their college thesis on racial stereotypes in current American products. Top of the list were Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and the Land O Lakes Indian. Like Aunt Jemima, the Land O Lakes Indian woman has recently been removed. Funny subliminal thing about that Land O Lakes image though, that maybe only adolescent boys noticed. if you look closely, her knees very strongly resemble bare breasts. They weren't selling you butter with an Indian they were selling you butter with sex.

Also currently under the gun is the Mrs. Butterworth image. Unlike the others, it never occurred to me that Mrs. Butterworth was of any particular race. She seems generic.

Written By: 2001 on 06/17/20 at 7:11 pm

For some reason, I always knew Aunt Jemima was racist, but it felt like "good" racism because it was such a relateable image of a loving aunt who smothers you with guilty pleasure food. But yeah, it's still built on the slavery-era "Black Mammy" stereotype and it is deplorable that a white-owned business was profiting from it yadda yadda.

Just so you all know though, Aunt Jemima is not real maple syrup, it is corn syrup. The real thing comes mainly from Quebec and is a lot more expensive but trust me it is WORTH the price.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/17/20 at 7:48 pm

For some reason, I always knew Aunt Jemima was racist, but it felt like "good" racism because it was such a relateable image of a loving aunt who smothers you with guilty pleasure food. But yeah, it's still built on the slavery-era "Black Mammy" stereotype and it is deplorable that a white-owned business was profiting from it yadda yadda.

Just so you all know though, Aunt Jemima is not real maple syrup, it is corn syrup. The real thing comes mainly from Quebec and is a lot more expensive but trust me it is WORTH the price.

I get what you're saying, but just for the sake of accuracy, PepsiCo, the company that owns Quaker Oats is not a "white owned company" per se. The CEO of PepsiCo is Ramon Laguarta, a Latino man. Prior to Laguarta, the CEO was Indra Nooyi, an Indian-American woman. I'm not sure who was running things before then, and I'm sure at some point in the lifespan of Aunt Jemima  it WAS a "white owned company", but we must be careful not to fall into cliches.

Written By: 2001 on 06/17/20 at 7:56 pm

I get what you're saying, but just for the sake of accuracy, PepsiCo, the company that owns Quaker Oats is not a "white owned company" per se. The CEO of PepsiCo is Ramon Laguarta, a Latino man. Prior to Laguarta, the CEO was Indra Nooyi, an Indian-American woman. I'm not sure who was running things before then, and I'm sure at some point in the lifespan of Aunt Jemima  it WAS a "white owned company", but we must be careful not to fall into cliches.

Technically as a publicly traded company, PepsiCo is owned not by the CEO but by its various shareholders who I'm sure come for diverse backgrounds. But, point taken ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/20 at 8:12 pm

Speaking of stereotypes... will the beverage Pimp Juice also be pulled from the shelves? ???

https://www.bevnet.com/reviews/pimpjuice/

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/17/20 at 10:35 pm

I knew someone way back in the late 70s/early 80s who did their college thesis on racial stereotypes in current American products. Top of the list were Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and the Land O Lakes Indian. Like Aunt Jemima, the Land O Lakes Indian woman has recently been removed. Funny subliminal thing about that Land O Lakes image though, that maybe only adolescent boys noticed. if you look closely, her knees very strongly resemble bare breasts. They weren't selling you butter with an Indian they were selling you butter with sex.

Also currently under the gun is the Mrs. Butterworth image. Unlike the others, it never occurred to me that Mrs. Butterworth was of any particular race. She seems generic.

That’s interesting about land o lakes. Never noticed. I’ll have to look it up now.

But I never saw any of these as racist. If anything I see it as diversity. If every product showed whites only, people would be complaining just as much. I read recently that they took the mrs off mrs dash. Between that and mrs butterworth (unless it’s the dark glass of the bottle) All I can figure is it’s stereotyping the traditional woman in the kitchen? Again if all we showcased were white males there would be an uproar too and it wouldn’t be natural anyway. You can’t win. To me the very fact that they’re pointing fingers and tearing down traditions is racist in itself. To me It works both ways. Want to not be racist or stereotyping? Then showcase the diversity we have and let it be. Just like when Obama was running for office. Whether you were for or against it, I think it’s racist that people made a big deal that this would be our first black president. Wanna not be racist? Then Concentrate on him as a person and his plans for the country and not the color of his skin. That’s my opinion anyway.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/18/20 at 4:32 am

Anyone here seen the original movie  “Imitation of Life” from the 30’s ? It was supposed to be a story influenced by the brand “Aunt Jemima” however the character was named Aunt Delilah in the movie who ended up passing away due to a broken heart caused by her white passing daughter who resented her for being black. When she passed her  pancake legacy blossomed and it was called “Aunt Delilah”. It was definitely rooted in racism and gave off the whole “mammy” vibe.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/18/20 at 6:16 am

It obviously does seem opportunistic after all of the tensions surrounding race, but I can't lie, the syrup tastes SO good. I don't mind the renaming and rebranding, and I'm thankful that they're keeping the formula intact.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/20 at 7:32 am

Mrs. Buttersworth was just a bottle of syrup, I never thought of her as racist at all.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611%2B-AZElnL._SY445_.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/18/20 at 7:34 am

That’s interesting about land o lakes. Never noticed. I’ll have to look it up now.

But I never saw any of these as racist. If anything I see it as diversity. If every product showed whites only, people would be complaining just as much. I read recently that they took the mrs off mrs dash. Between that and mrs butterworth (unless it’s the dark glass of the bottle) All I can figure is it’s stereotyping the traditional woman in the kitchen? Again if all we showcased were white males there would be an uproar too and it wouldn’t be natural anyway. You can’t win. To me the very fact that they’re pointing fingers and tearing down traditions is racist in itself. To me It works both ways. Want to not be racist or stereotyping? Then showcase the diversity we have and let it be. Just like when Obama was running for office. Whether you were for or against it, I think it’s racist that people made a big deal that this would be our first black president. Wanna not be racist? Then Concentrate on him as a person and his plans for the country and not the color of his skin. That’s my opinion anyway.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Ry2vP3A__-iqhJc8JNULPuclLouX_YGi6ernjtJBZDQY_PturW6oBAZ8Q1LsF-F22dkSKOddLNdXQe8SzDXbA6LGX1Q8iKxBOD0eesuySz_H9ommjosafbaDAGnGPIV2V0zQrBkgLhQXjBey1Nm5OLM

Written By: Howard on 06/18/20 at 7:39 am

They also are thinking about getting rid of The Rice Krispies guys because they're "white" and the Cocoa Krispies mascot because it's a "monkey".  ::)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91laxLarjYL._SX425_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_AA425SH20_.jpg

https://www.mrbreakfast.com/ucp/80_5726_ucp.jpg

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/18/20 at 9:17 am

They also are thinking about getting rid of The Rice Krispies guys because they're "white" and the Cocoa Krispies mascot because it's a "monkey".  ::)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91laxLarjYL._SX425_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_AA425SH20_.jpg

https://www.mrbreakfast.com/ucp/80_5726_ucp.jpg

That land o lakes is a real stretch but I guess I can make it look that way. Now if the same knees were folded up to her chest it might be a different story.

To me this is just silly and hypocritical. These products wouldn’t have remained so successful for decades on end if people of all ethnic backgrounds didn’t consume them on a regular basis. Everyone could choose the generic brands with no gimmicks if they really wanted to and save money too, but they don’t. I guarantee if the rice krispies characters were a different color, people would still find a problem with it. Is it going to be the same with commercials, ads, everything on tv or in print? Then there are going to be a lot of parents desperate to find what their kids are used to. For some with autism it will be a nightmare. If this continues it’s going to be a sad world. We can’t show anybody in anything if someone doesn’t agree with it. Don’t like it? Vote with your wallet and don’t buy it or don’t watch it.

But right now if sales are down, it’s more likely due to people losing their jobs over the coronavirus and having to be frugal. The well known gimmicks on the box are the only thing that sets them apart from the generics. Eliminate that and they’re history.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/18/20 at 1:17 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eat4pTwXYAIdFE2?format=jpg&name=large
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/520926523939749900/722982618160824350/image0.png

Written By: Howard on 06/18/20 at 2:09 pm

When I go shopping to buy products I don't look at the logo whether it be food or clothes, I don't say that this product is racist or anything, I buy them cause I need it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/18/20 at 2:12 pm

You are wrong! The real thing mainly comes from VERMONT!  ;) :D ;D ;D

But, you are correct that it is WORTH the price. (Grade B or dark is so much better than the light amber.) We usually buy about a gallon that last us for about a year. We don't use it just on pancakes/French toast. The "chef" uses it in cooking-adds some to stir fries, or meat. Goes real well on pork, ham, bacon, or even in baked beans.

We don't touch that other garbage that they try to pass off as maple syrup.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/18/20 at 2:39 pm

The well known gimmicks on the box are the only thing that sets them apart from the generics. Eliminate that and they’re history.

Kirkland FTW!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/18/20 at 4:45 pm

Kirkland FTW!  ;D ;D ;D

Had to look up what it was since we don’t have a Costco here. I typically go for the Clover Valley line from Dollar General. Although they say they are not affiliated with the competition.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 06/18/20 at 4:49 pm

Kirkland FTW!  ;D ;D ;D

Costco rules!

Written By: Howard on 06/19/20 at 7:40 am

How about getting rid of Chef Boyardee and other cereal mascots too, have they forgotten about them?  ::)

Written By: goodbants on 06/19/20 at 9:38 am

How about getting rid of Chef Boyardee and other cereal mascots too, have they forgotten about them?  ::)

Those aren’t based on racial stereotypes though

Subject: Quaker Oats to change name and image of Aunt Jemima brand

Written By: Dude111 on 06/19/20 at 2:25 pm

Quaker Oats to change name and image

Totally stupid..... I wouldnt buy another thing from them!!!!!!!! (I dont anyway)

Written By: violet_shy on 06/19/20 at 2:57 pm

This might sound wrong, but even though these are all considered racist they never felt racist to me...like Aunt Jemima. She just seemed like a nice lady who made pancakes being pictured on a box! Lol!

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/19/20 at 3:09 pm

This might sound wrong, but even though these are all considered racist they never felt racist to me...like Aunt Jemima. She just seemed like a nice lady who made pancakes being pictured on a box! Lol!

Same. I don’t get why people think us black people would be offended about a syrup logo  ;D But oh well.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/19/20 at 3:20 pm

Same. I don’t get why people think us black people would be offended about a syrup logo  ;D But oh well.

And the image has been changed over the years, I remember.

What's wrong with Chef Boyardee? He's wearing a chef's hat right?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/19/20 at 4:56 pm

You may have hit something right on the head there. A lot of people who are making a lot of noise about such things are affluent white people. There's a lot of "being more offended than the victim" virtue signaling mentality going on all around.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/19/20 at 6:21 pm

You may have hit something right on the head there. A lot of people who are making a lot of noise about such things are affluent white people. There's a lot of "being more offended than the victim" virtue signaling mentality going on all around.

It’s kind of frustrating in a way because the only thing we really want is for the police to stop disproportionately killing us. We just want equality of opportunity.

I had Nickelodeon on in my basement because I was watching my nephew and during commercial break they talked about the LGBT flag. They talked about LGBT history and all of that. Then they said that the flag recently added brown and black stripes to include people of color. It’s just lowkey cringeworthy virtue signaling.

We don’t want black and brown stripes on the LGBT flag. 99% of black people really don’t give a sh!t. We’d rather see actual change and inclusivity like supporting black-owned businesses, funding black schools and improving black neighborhoods.

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/20 at 1:21 am

It’s kind of frustrating in a way because the only thing we really want is for the police to stop disproportionately killing us. We just want equality of opportunity.

I had Nickelodeon on in my basement because I was watching my nephew and during commercial break they talked about the LGBT flag. They talked about LGBT history and all of that. Then they said that the flag recently added brown and black stripes to include people of color. It’s just lowkey cringeworthy virtue signaling.

We don’t want black and brown stripes on the LGBT flag. 99% of black people really don’t give a sh!t. We’d rather see actual change and inclusivity like supporting black-owned businesses, funding black schools and improving black neighborhoods.

The black and brown stripes were added a bit before 2020. I remember seeing it around 2017/2018. It's a recognition that black and brown people are more likely to live in homophobic countries, communities or families and are more likely to experience homophobia. Non-white LGBT people are more likely to be victims of family violence, state violence and homelessness, the black/brown stripe is to bring attention to that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/20 at 6:51 am

The whole thing is ridiculous. Not civil rights and respect, of course. But rather this recent cascade of companies coming out to show us all just how “woke” they are.

A local company is placing LinkedIn and Facebook posts restating their “commitment to the rich heritage of Juneteenth”. Funny... I never heard that company mention the event or celebrate it ever before. Now they’re reiterating their deep support for it.

I think these self-aggrandizing and “woke” wanks should grab their Bibles and take a good long read of Matthew Chapter 6:

”Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.

When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.“

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 7:32 am

Totally stupid..... I wouldnt buy another thing from them!!!!!!!! (I dont anyway)

Then what do you buy?  ???

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 7:34 am

Just leave stereotypes alone and just buy it for the product, that's all, no need to have racial bias. ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 7:35 am

And the image has been changed over the years, I remember.

What's wrong with Chef Boyardee? He's wearing a chef's hat right?

I was just trying to make a point.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 7:39 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYQGokDU8AAHMdB.png

https://foodtellsastory.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/cream.jpg?w=288

How about these logos from Quaker Oats and Cream Of Wheat?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/20 at 12:44 pm

Time to get rid of the Lucky Charms brand too. Makes the Irish people look like a bunch of leprechauns.

Norte Dame needs to discard its “Fighting Irish” nickname, as that is exclusionary to all the African American players on their roster, plus it disparages Irish people as a fight-happy rabble.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/20/20 at 12:48 pm

I was just trying to make a point.

I know silly!

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/20/20 at 1:28 pm

The black and brown stripes were added a bit before 2020. I remember seeing it around 2017/2018. It's a recognition that black and brown people are more likely to live in homophobic countries, communities or families and are more likely to experience homophobia. Non-white LGBT people are more likely to be victims of family violence, state violence and homelessness, the black/brown stripe is to bring attention to that.

And what about white people who do live in very homophobic communities? I don’t see this as anything other than blatant pandering and bringing even more divisiveness. If the LGBT community is already about acceptance and inclusivity in the first place, then there would be no need to add black or brown stripes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/20 at 1:33 pm

The latest ridiculous thing I just read is that Mrs Butterworth may change its branding.

Because people *might* interpret the form factor of the woman in the bottle as a black woman.

WTH? What kind of weirdos are running the companies these days?  Can’t say I ever gave a thought about, or speculated upon, the ethnicity of Mrs Butterworth.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 2:08 pm

Time to get rid of the Lucky Charms brand too. Makes the Irish people look like a bunch of leprechauns.

Norte Dame needs to discard its “Fighting Irish” nickname, as that is exclusionary to all the African American players on their roster, plus it disparages Irish people as a fight-happy rabble.

The Lucky Charms mascot is a just a fun leprechaun and I think it was a couple of years ago they might have used a new voice over guy.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 2:12 pm

The latest ridiculous thing I just read is that Mrs Butterworth may change its branding.

Because people *might* interpret the form factor of the woman in the bottle as a black woman.

WTH? What kind of weirdos are running the companies these days?  Can’t say I ever gave a thought about, or speculated upon, the ethnicity of Mrs Butterworth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvqD1fGCpaQ

Who thought that Mrs.Buttersworth was black, that sounds like a fun grandmother.

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/20 at 3:47 pm

And what about white people who do live in very homophobic communities? I don’t see this as anything other than blatant pandering and bringing even more divisiveness. If the LGBT community is already about acceptance and inclusivity in the first place, then there would be no need to add black or brown stripes.

It is not replacing the original flag. It is for raising awareness.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/20/20 at 8:04 pm

Come of think of it, you're right. What's wrong with a happy black woman as a logo nowadays? And it's based on an actual woman named Nancy Green but the recent logo is rather slimmer and jovial.

After all these years, now it's the time for them to replace it?  >:(

Written By: Howard on 06/21/20 at 7:41 am

Come of think of it, you're right. What's wrong with a happy black woman as a logo nowadays? And it's based on an actual woman named Nancy Green but the recent logo is rather slimmer and jovial.

After all these years, now it's the time for them to replace it?  >:(

And was she an actual Aunt?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/21/20 at 8:14 am

Regarding Cream of Wheat... the guy on the package is one Frank L. White (replacing Rastus, the original Cream of Wheat chef) who passed away in 1938.

His COW iconic image is reproduced on his headstone. I wonder if that will have to go too? ???

http://images.findagrave.com/photos/2007/165/19904993_118194304588.jpg

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19904993#

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/21/20 at 9:24 am

I have mixed feelings about this. 

Historically the "Uncle Tom" and "Aunt Jemima" are stereotypical caricatures representing older slaves  who were seen as harmless by the masters and as teachers/protectors by younger slaves.  There was a common practice among slaves to create these sorts of fictional kinships as a way to enhance solidarity in the slave community, which allowed slaves to practice their passive resistance with confidence that they would not be betrayed  by their fellows.  Many years ago the Smithsonian published a book, which included audio tapes, call Remembering Slavery, which included stories around these issues.  So these characters are much more complex than what appears on the surface.

As to the commercialization of these stereotypes, I  think it is racist in that  it perpetuates the image of the black servant fawning over the white master. 

Written By: Howard on 06/21/20 at 2:15 pm

Regarding Cream of Wheat... the guy on the package is one Frank L. White (replacing Rastus, the original Cream of Wheat chef) who passed away in 1938.

His COW iconic image is reproduced on his headstone. I wonder if that will have to go too? ???

http://images.findagrave.com/photos/2007/165/19904993_118194304588.jpg

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19904993#

I think that one will stay.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/21/20 at 3:15 pm

I think there's racial sensitivity and then there's just being downright stupid.  I think that this is ridiculous.  They're hoping to be racially sensitive while putting the Quaker logo on the Aunt Jemima syrup bottle? What's next? Taking Uncle Ben off of the rice box? Are they serious? ::) ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/20 at 3:16 pm

I think there's racial sensitivity and then there's just being downright stupid.  I think that this is ridiculous.  They're hoping to be racially sensitive while putting the Quaker logo on the Aunt Jemima syrup bottle? What's next? Taking Uncle Ben off of the rice box? Are they serious? ::) ::) ::) ::)
I was about to ask how Uncle Ben's Rice fits into to all this?

Written By: Howard on 06/22/20 at 4:09 am

I was about to ask how Uncle Ben's Rice fits into to all this?

Was he an actual Uncle?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/20 at 4:36 am

Was he an actual Uncle?
According to Mars Incorporated, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.

Were Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima real people?
https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1605/were-uncle-ben-and-aunt-jemima-real-people/

Written By: Elor on 06/22/20 at 5:17 am

What's next? Taking Uncle Ben off of the rice box? Are they serious? ::) ::) ::) ::)
To my knowledge that is exactly what the company is planning to do right now.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/22/20 at 8:01 am

According to Mars Incorporated, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.

Were Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima real people?
https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1605/were-uncle-ben-and-aunt-jemima-real-people/

Taking the picture off the box would be a disgrace to the man who put in the work to build something that remains successful after all this time.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/20 at 9:29 am

Taking the picture off the box would be a disgrace to the man who put in the work to build something that remains successful after all this time.

They guy is probably spinning in his grave.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/24/20 at 6:12 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYQGokDU8AAHMdB.png

https://foodtellsastory.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/cream.jpg?w=288

How about these logos from Quaker Oats and Cream Of Wheat?  ???

I heard they are getting rid of the Uncle Ben and the guy from the Cream of Wheat packaging too

Check for new replies or respond here...