inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you really see technology ever progressing?

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/04/20 at 9:28 am

I mean just think about it. I feel like we already have just about everything when it comes to technology. We have smartphones, laptops, apple watches, airpods, drones. Like what more can we possibly get? If there’s going to be a change in technology then I don’t know what it’ll be. The only thing I can really think of is self driving cars. I’m just having a hard time seeing which technology we’ll have in the future that we don’t even know about right now.

Subject: Re: Do you really see technology ever progressing?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/20 at 9:41 am

Two words:  Flying cars.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/20 at 9:50 am

YES, technology will progress. I'm not saying this is good or bad (though it's probably bad, very bad), I'm just saying it WILL. Of course you can't see it. Very few people ever see it coming, but it comes. It's short sighted to say technology has gone as far as it can go, and people have been saying it forever. In the 70s I thought we'd always have albums. I didn't know CDs, the bane of album lovers everywhere, were lurking around the corner. And now bugs me when people say streaming is as far as it can go. There is surely something beyond streaming, we just don't know what it is yet. And it will come faster than you think.
People are sitting in tech labs in Silicon Valley and elsewhere, day and night, around the clock, right now as we speak, coming up with new things. And it's often technology simply for the sake of technology, which is never a good idea.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/20 at 9:54 am

Flying cars already exist. They're called planes. Exactly how would flying cars be different than planes? Except that everybody would have one and have their own little place to park them, etc, etc. It's STILL a plane.  The basic underlying engineering principal is still the same. I don't know why people don't realize that. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/20 at 11:07 am

Flying cars already exist. They're called planes. Exactly how would flying cars be different than planes? Except that everybody would have one and have their own little place to park them, etc, etc. It's STILL a plane.  The basic underlying engineering principal is still the same. I don't know why people don't realize that.

That’s the whole point. There was a time when aluminum metal was more valuable than gold. But then the technology made it a “metal for the masses”.  We have not seen that breakthrough f0r flying cars. And even the most modest private planes are absurdly expensive.

Flying cars will become a reality when the tech develops for a car stuck in a traffic jam to just vertically take off and go on its way.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/20 at 12:43 pm

That’s the whole point. There was a time when aluminum metal was more valuable than gold. But then the technology made it a “metal for the masses”.  We have not seen that breakthrough f0r flying cars. And even the most modest private planes are absurdly expensive.

Flying cars will become a reality when the tech develops for a car stuck in a traffic jam to just vertically take off and go on its way.

That thought still implies that nobody else has a "flying car". Because if you can just take off from a traffic jam in a flying car, so can everybody else, and a whole OTHER massive gridlock ensues, so now it's worse than before.  Just think, we need air traffic controllers to control all the massive traffic we ALREADY have in the air, so imagine if everybody was flying in cars. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/20 at 1:07 pm

That thought still implies that nobody else has a "flying car". Because if you can just take off from a traffic jam in a flying car, so can everybody else, and a whole OTHER massive gridlock ensues, so now it's worse than before.  Just think, we need air traffic controllers to control all the massive traffic we ALREADY have in the air, so imagine if everybody was flying in cars.

Gridlock won’t be a problem. You see, land-based cars all operate on the same “plane” so to speak. With flying cars, they can move at various assigned altitudes, allowing for much more traffic volume than old fashioned roads. Cars will maintain proper altitude selection and spacing via peer-to-peer software and communications, making today’s land-locked cars look like a horse and buggy by comparison.  8)

Written By: Dundee on 07/04/20 at 1:27 pm

The VR technology is still very primitive as of 2020, that's definitely one thing that I can see improving over the years and becoming a lot more immersive than it is rather than dizzying. And maybe even at some point completely undistinguishable from reality.

Nanorobotica is also another domain that is very promising but still needs to be fleshed out.

Our communication systems, while very advanced, are still riddled with glitches and bugs and heavily dependent on networks. Wouldn't it be even more efficient that technology goes so far that it allows us to project ourselves to our corresponding?

A lot of people on this forum seems to have the misconception that technology seems to stop at your smartphone, when it definitely doesn't. There are far more domains beyond that, and there IMMENSE amount of work and progress humanity has still to face.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/20 at 2:15 pm

And moving escalators but I think that will cost a whole load of money to be built.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/20 at 2:17 pm

And then the streets would be empty, that would be a good thing.

Written By: goodbants on 07/04/20 at 3:29 pm

I mean just think about it. I feel like we already have just about everything when it comes to technology. We have smartphones, laptops, apple watches, airpods, drones. Like what more can we possibly get? If there’s going to be a change in technology then I don’t know what it’ll be. The only thing I can really think of is self driving cars. I’m just having a hard time seeing which technology we’ll have in the future that we don’t even know about right now.

I know it will progress. The reason why I know it will progress is because people were saying the exact same things on this site in 2006. They couldn’t possibly imagine what could be invented that hasn’t already been invented. We’ll just have to wait and see  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/20 at 3:34 pm

And moving escalators but I think that will cost a whole load of money to be built.

Escalators already move.  ???

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/04/20 at 3:53 pm

I know it will progress. The reason why I know it will progress is because people were saying the exact same things on this site in 2006. They couldn’t possibly imagine what could be invented that hasn’t already been invented. We’ll just have to wait and see  :)

But do you think before smartphones, people wished there was a way to easily access the Internet anywhere?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/20 at 3:59 pm

Gridlock won’t be a problem. You see, land-based cars all operate on the same “plane” so to speak. With flying cars, they can move at various assigned altitudes, allowing for much more traffic volume than old fashioned roads. Cars will maintain proper altitude selection and spacing via peer-to-peer software and communications, making today’s land-locked cars look like a horse and buggy by comparison.  8)

And there will be no open space above us ever? The whole "flying car" scenario strikes me as very juvenile. Like if you watch the Jetsons, they have futuristic looking telephones, but they are still landline rotary phones. Same for "Lost In Space". All their equipment is wired. It's like a futuristic version of what we already had. If there is going to be some kind of advanced personal transportation it won't be a "flying car" which is just the Jetson's landline phone all over again. It will be some new technology we have not yet conceived of.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/04/20 at 4:01 pm

I've been whining here about not yet having a jetpack for over 15 years now.  ;D

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/04/20 at 4:54 pm

Well, we still can't make physical virtual worlds nor teleport soo I think technology will just progress 🤔

Written By: Dundee on 07/04/20 at 5:02 pm

I've been whining here about not yet having a jetpack for over 15 years now.  ;D
Are you telling me that you never tried those water jetpacks? :o

https://tripxtours.imgix.net/uploads/dubai_tours/ce81db2e5c0d4e8805ba9e66c10fe565.jpg?auto=compress&w=2000&h=1500&crop=faces&fit=min

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/04/20 at 6:02 pm

I think technology will continue to progress, its nice to be optimistic although youll also have to be realistic by not expecting too much. Look what happened, in the 1980s, people thought we'd have teleportation, floating skateboards (We got the Segway instead), or flying cars being mainstream (They exist but not mainstream yet) by 2015, it barely even happened ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 07/04/20 at 6:43 pm

Yes, I do. Technology will always advance. Sure, things may have slowed down (like the peak of smartphone design, which is a bezel-less screen) or aren't as fully realized (like self-driving cars), but the future is still bright for these things to be convenient.

Written By: fusefan on 07/04/20 at 10:10 pm

But do you think before smartphones, people wished there was a way to easily access the Internet anywhere?

Yes! I remember in 2005 wishing I had a device I could take the internet with me wherever I go! They sort of existed then but they didn’t catch on probably because they were clunky to use.

Here’s where we were in 2001 regarding Mobile devices.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n9rUw-Jls8w

Written By: Howard on 07/05/20 at 4:06 am

I understand that but I'm just saying building them to replace the sidewalks.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/20 at 4:08 am

Well, we still can't make physical virtual worlds nor teleport soo I think technology will just progress 🤔

Instead of taking a bus to work I'd like to teleport myself to work, save myself money.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/05/20 at 6:31 am

Instead of taking a bus to work I'd like to teleport myself to work, save myself money.

But if that becomes possible, couldn’t SnS just teleport the carts back into the store? ???

Written By: karen on 07/05/20 at 7:20 am

That’s the pertinent bit of your statement. We do not know what technology will be invented, but that does not mean none will be invented.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/20 at 9:07 am

I understand that but I'm just saying building them to replace the sidewalks.

Are you talking about moving sidewalks by any chance? That's not really new or unforeseen technology. Again, like so-called "flying cars", that's an old style, mid-20th century view of "the future". Any new technology to move or transport people from one place to another will be far beyond that. And don't ask WHAT. That's the point, we don't know yet.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/05/20 at 10:18 pm

https://tripxtours.imgix.net/uploads/dubai_tours/ce81db2e5c0d4e8805ba9e66c10fe565.jpg?auto=compress&w=2000&h=1500&crop=faces&fit=min

I live in Nebraska.  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/06/20 at 12:17 am

If we were to have flying cars it would have happened in the 80s at the latest. Too much liability these days. People can’t drive sensibly on the ground. Cars break down on the ground. Self driving cars fail on the ground. Not until you can make things near perfect on the ground should you attempt to put the same things in the air. At least if things fail on the ground people don’t fall out of the air and die. Also with all the efforts to make vehicles more fuel efficient, well it takes a lot more fuel to fly than to roll down the road.

Technology will progress but we don’t know what we don’t know.

I think one thing of the future will be improving the simulation of being somewhere else. VR headset in a room, bodysuit with sensors and nerve stimulators, combination of chemicals to dispense artificial smells. We just watched something at work for remote troubleshooting that’s pretty amazing. It will probably get its start in the adult entertainment industry but may become commonplace for people who want to get a taste of another place without shelling out the time or money or hassle to travel there.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I think many people are going to feel spoiled by working from home and not want to go back to long commutes fighting traffic just to be at the office, or dealing with airports just to show up at meetings. As with many technologies, our young people started the trend long before the pandemic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 2:44 am

You will need water for that?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 6:00 am

Flying cars already exist, since 1954.

https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/q-p-dK2l8FatHRuT7KRqNDmYccc=/800x600/filters:no_upscale()/https://public-media.si-cdn.com/filer/Flying_Car-hero2.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 6:27 am

...moving up or down

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 7:43 am

But if that becomes possible, couldn’t SnS just teleport the carts back into the store? ???

Most likely, we'd be replaced by robots.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 7:44 am

Are you talking about moving sidewalks by any chance? That's not really new or unforeseen technology. Again, like so-called "flying cars", that's an old style, mid-20th century view of "the future". Any new technology to move or transport people from one place to another will be far beyond that. And don't ask WHAT. That's the point, we don't know yet.

Like what The Jetsons used in the cartoon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 7:47 am

The shopping goods could be teleport to the customer's home?

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 7:49 am

...moving up or down

moving straight forward.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 7:50 am

The shopping goods could be teleport to the customer's home?

It will save the company money.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 8:04 am

It will save the company money.
If faulty, the goods can be easily return?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/06/20 at 8:41 am

Like what The Jetsons used in the cartoon.

The Jetsons is old style future. Anyone citing moving sidewalks or flying cars is not thinking seriously about what our actual future will be like. More likely they are reliving a childhood fantasy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 8:44 am

I think technology will continue to progress, its nice to be optimistic although youll also have to be realistic by not expecting too much. Look what happened, in the 1980s, people thought we'd have teleportation, floating skateboards (We got the Segway instead), or flying cars being mainstream (They exist but not mainstream yet) by 2015, it barely even happened ;D
"There's something wrong with the space-time continuum!"

Written By: Howard on 07/06/20 at 8:45 am

The Jetsons is old style future. Anyone citing moving sidewalks or flying cars is not thinking seriously about what our actual future will be like. More likely they are reliving a childhood fantasy.

It's good to imagine sometimes.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/06/20 at 8:55 am

It's good to imagine sometimes.

You are correct about that. All of us "of a certain age" remember "The Jetsons" fondly. "Lost In Space" too. But it's not what "the future" will look like.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/06/20 at 4:20 pm

I really hope not, or else we'll end up like the people in Wall-E...  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 4:21 pm

There is a report suggesting the London Tube Trains to become driverless, we already have driverless trains on the DLR.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/20 at 7:33 am

I really hope not, or else we'll end up like the people in Wall-E...  :-\\

Maybe being replaced by robots in supermarkets.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/20 at 1:29 pm

If you want to see how technology will progress, watch Star Trek. I am not joking here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSjFvUH2Xs

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/20 at 1:52 pm

If you want to see how technology will progress, watch Star Trek. I am not joking here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSjFvUH2Xs

Cat
Interesting, but there is no mention of the doors that went swoosh when opening.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/20 at 2:19 pm

Interesting, but there is no mention of the doors that went swoosh when opening.  ;D

;D ;D ;D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVtB2Lrd1vg

I wondering when there will be transporters. "Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life here."  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/20 at 3:14 pm

;D ;D ;D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVtB2Lrd1vg

I wondering when there will be transporters. "Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life here."  :D ;D ;D

Cat
Forget doors that go swoosh! This is my kind of door, one that sounds like Chewbacca...

OMn-9lbwl0w

Check for new replies or respond here...