inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John Lewis to close eight stores permanently

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/20 at 5:01 am

John Lewis has announced it is permanently closing eight of its stores, putting 1,300 workers at risk. The retailer said it had to "secure the business's long-term future and respond to customers' shopping needs". Department stores in Birmingham and Watford will not reopen as the coronavirus lockdown eases. At Home stores in Croydon, Newbury, Swindon and Tamworth will also shut down, as will travel sites at Heathrow airport and London St Pancras.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53348519

Subject: Re: John Lewis to close eight stores permanently

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/20 at 5:23 am

What do (did) they sell? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/20 at 5:25 am

Particularly anything for your home with good quality products. Before we always went there for white goods, and other kitchen items.

Written By: karen on 07/09/20 at 10:28 am

They are a chain of department stores selling clothing, furniture, kitchenware, etc. Known for their great guarantees on electrical items. At work if we are buying gift cards for someone’s wedding or baby shower we buy them John Lewis gift cards

Subject: John Lewis considers closing more stores

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/21 at 4:30 pm

John Lewis is considering more store closures as it tries to cut costs and adapt to the boom in online shopping.

In what would be another blow for the High Street, the BBC understands up to eight department stores may remain permanently closed.

That would be on top of the eight stores it shut last year, which included two small travel hub shops at Heathrow and St Pancras.

That could leave it with 34 stores, down from its current total of 42.

John Lewis has declined to comment on the potential move, which was first reported by the Sunday Times.

Any closures would be another blow to the high street and town centres, which are already grappling with the fall-out from the collapse of Debenhams and Sir Philip Green's Arcadia empire.

The rise in internet shopping, exacerbated by various lockdown measures amid coronavirus, has forced John Lewis to rethink how many stores it needs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56154961

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/22/21 at 4:40 pm

I had to do a doubletake because I was thinking of John Lewis, the Civil Rights icon who died last year.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/21 at 4:46 pm

I had to do a doubletake because I was thinking of John Lewis, the Civil Rights icon who died last year.

Cat
I was the same in reverse, when I saw his name on yesterday's birthday list.

Written By: nally on 02/22/21 at 10:45 pm

Cat

I was the same in reverse, when I saw his name on yesterday's birthday list.

I thought exactly the same thing!

Written By: Howard on 02/23/21 at 3:44 am

What kind of store was John Lewis? ???

Written By: karen on 02/23/21 at 4:55 am

What kind of store was John Lewis? ???

Particularly anything for your home with good quality products. Before we always went there for white goods, and other kitchen items.

They are a chain of department stores selling clothing, furniture, kitchenware, etc. Known for their great guarantees on electrical items. At work if we are buying gift cards for someone’s wedding or baby shower we buy them John Lewis gift cards

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/21 at 5:48 am

Thank you, I was about to do the same.

Check for new replies or respond here...