inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When people look back at the year 2020 in the future....

Written By: muppethammer26 on 07/10/20 at 8:47 pm

When people look back at the year 2020 (not the 2020s in general), COVID-19 will mostly likely be the first thing that comes to mind. I do expect that most movies, TV shows, cartoons and video games that take place in 2020 will have at least one COVID-19-related reference (social distancing signs, face masks, empty shelves, etc.) For example, in a romance movie set in 2020, a couple tries to book a wedding and a dinner at a fancy restaurant, but their plans are ruined when they found out that both venues are closed and instead, must try to have a wedding at their house. A horror movie set in 2020 might have a COVID-19-infected person/monster who tries to infect everyone nearby with COVID-19. Maybe they might be a comic book that takes place in 2020 where a superhero wears a face mask and tries to eliminate COVID-19 from existence by himself.

Subject: Re: When people look back at the year 2020 in the future....

Written By: Slim95 on 07/11/20 at 3:07 am

Yeah for sure. I remember not too long ago people complaining (including myself) how the time we live in has no identity or is very boring. And now it most definitely has an identity. It's just unfortunate it's a negative identity.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/20 at 4:04 am

I think that's what's going to stick in everyone's mind with one single situation like the Coronavirus.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/11/20 at 3:22 pm

Most definitely. Not just COVID-19, but the worldwide protests (along with riots, sadly) that happened following the murder of George Floyd. Also there were the Australian wildfires, Kobe's death, US-Iran crisis, the upcoming election, Brexit happening, etc.

2020 is memorable for sure, albeit not for mostly good reasons.

Written By: goodbants on 07/11/20 at 4:04 pm

Yeah for sure. I remember not too long ago people complaining (including myself) how the time we live in has no identity or is very boring. And now it most definitely has an identity. It's just unfortunate it's a negative identity.

Before COVID I thought there was a lot going on, with Trump’s impeachment, climate change protests, multiple mass shootings, and all the natural disasters that have happened in the past couple years. Now it has an identity even more so. We are definitely living in interesting times. I remember back in 2016 a small part of me wanted Trump to win just out of the morbid curiosity of what would happen. I just wanted to see what the world would be like. Now I’ve seen it. I want to go back. Lol

Written By: Slim95 on 07/11/20 at 6:56 pm

Before COVID I thought there was a lot going on, with Trump’s impeachment, climate change protests, multiple mass shootings, and all the natural disasters that have happened in the past couple years. Now it has an identity even more so. We are definitely living in interesting times. I remember back in 2016 a small part of me wanted Trump to win just out of the morbid curiosity of what would happen. I just wanted to see what the world would be like. Now I’ve seen it. I want to go back. Lol

And the unfortunate thing is it may just get worse with a civil war that may come to America.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/11/20 at 9:36 pm

And the unfortunate thing is it may just get worse with a civil war that may come to America.

With ideologies continuing to widen across the political spectrum after these past 4 years, it looks like we're sitting in a powder keg ready to explode at any moment.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/11/20 at 10:32 pm

With ideologies continuing to widen across the political spectrum after these past 4 years, it looks like we're sitting in a powder keg ready to explode at any moment.

30 years ago my uncle often said that there was going to be a massive revolution. Men against women, blacks against whites, everybody against everybody. Took a long time but it might finally be starting to happen.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/20 at 2:28 pm

Most definitely. Not just COVID-19, but the worldwide protests (along with riots, sadly) that happened following the murder of George Floyd. Also there were the Australian wildfires, Kobe's death, US-Iran crisis, the upcoming election, Brexit happening, etc.

2020 is memorable for sure, albeit not for mostly good reasons.

I thought that this year would be a year of looking forward to good things.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/20 at 2:30 pm

I thought that this year would be a year of looking forward to good things.
I was looking forward to two wonderful holidays, where one of them would be a surprise holiday for a family member.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 07/14/20 at 2:54 pm

Do you think there’s going to be a COVID-19 museum in 2030?

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/14/20 at 10:57 pm

No. I think this way of life is going to stick around. If it’s not covid it will be some other pandemic, or either man made or natural disaster.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/20 at 11:08 pm

2030 isn't even that far away and I don't know what kinds of things that museum would display. Because the plagues in the 1600s don't have museums for it. It's only in the history books. And if we even make it far in the future then COVID-19 will also be in the history books just as The Great Plague of 1665 is.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/20 at 2:59 pm

I really don't think so but I wouldn't put it past them to make one in the near future.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 07/15/20 at 3:10 pm

I think the COVID-19 pandemic has been significant enough to warrant a museum in the future.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/20 at 4:11 pm

I think the COVID-19 pandemic has been significant enough to warrant a museum in the future.
Is there a museum dedicated to the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/15/20 at 4:24 pm

Is there a museum dedicated to the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic?

What would a museum like that exhibit anyway?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/20 at 4:30 pm

What would a museum like that exhibit anyway?
To answer my own question...

"To mark the centenary of the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, Florence Nightingale Museum (in London) created an immersive exhibition which told the story of the ‘deadliest pandemic in history’ through the experiences of the people who lived through it. The exhibition was awarded ‘Temporary or Touring Exhibition of the Year’ at the 2019 Museum and Heritage Awards. Here you can find out more about Spanish flu and access some of the resources created for the exhibition."
https://www.florence-nightingale.co.uk/spanish-flu-nursing-during-historys-deadliest-pandemic/#:~:text=To%20mark%20the%20centenary%20of,people%20who%20lived%20through%20it.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/20 at 5:08 am

I wonder what this museum will feature?

Written By: Howard on 08/18/20 at 1:58 pm

If you were to watch The year 2020 as a film, would you watch it?  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/18/20 at 2:43 pm

I imagine that a movie about 2020 would be rather boring. It would mostly just be people sitting at home, or standing in lines wearing masks.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/19/20 at 1:51 pm

I imagine that a movie about 2020 would be rather boring. It would mostly just be people sitting at home, or standing in lines wearing masks.

There already is a movie about 2020. It's called Contagion. There's also The Purge and Idiocracy.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/19/20 at 2:07 pm

It's only gonna get worse and worse. Sometimes I wonder if we'll even make it to 2021.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/20 at 3:45 pm

And talking about Donald Trump too.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/19/20 at 3:46 pm

It's only gonna get worse and worse. Sometimes I wonder if we'll even make it to 2021.

Only 4 months to go if you count that August is almost gone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/20 at 8:07 am

There already is a movie about 2020. It's called Contagion.
...and is available on Netflix.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/20/20 at 12:11 pm

Can you imagine VH1 doing a special in the "I Love the 2020's"? If they are still making those series.

Written By: Sman12 on 08/20/20 at 7:26 pm

Can you imagine VH1 doing a special in the "I Love the 2020's"? If they are still making those series.

I bet they'll find something. Hell, 2001 had 9/11 and the subsequent War on Terror, and VH1 managed to create a ~30 minute episode about that year with pop culture.

IOxrU-T-IaE

But the COVID effect on pop culture was even more drastic since 9/11 postponed some events like the Latin Grammy Awards (which occurred on the same day) and led radio stations to temporarily block some songs that were "offensive". But life in general went back to some semblance of normalcy despite increased anxiety and fear in the few months after the tragedy.

This, however, practically canceled everything physical with pop culture, and now most musical events are virtual. 

It would definitely be interesting how they would handle 2020.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/20 at 7:44 am

If they do, it probably won't be out for another few more years.

Written By: Yestalgic on 08/30/20 at 12:13 pm

The genre for 2020 is most likely a medical disaster/survival film.

Here's the synopsis: It's about a newly discovered virus that spreads not only in China, but also the world, causes rising tensions and chaos worldwide.

By in the end of 2020, will the vaccines prevent from spreading the virus itself? Only time will tell.

If the vaccine did prevent from spreading the virus, then that would be a great film. But what if the vaccine was useless, then i would never watch it again.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/30/20 at 12:58 pm

Here's the synopsis: It's about a newly discovered virus that spreads not only in China, but also the world, causes rising tensions and chaos worldwide.

By in the end of 2020, will the vaccines prevent from spreading the virus itself? Only time will tell.

If the vaccine did prevent from spreading the virus, then that would be a great film. But what if the vaccine was useless, then i would never watch it again.

Here's the pitch: the virus spreads like in Contagion. Meanwhile, like the scene in Contagion the emergency services are unavailable to respond to any emergency not related to the virus, but that combined with defunding the police causes chaos and anarchy so the family (the main protagonists in the film) have to protect their home that they were already quarantined in (like The Purge). Then, the climactic point is when the father of the family gets arrested by the Thought Police for speaking against Trump on social media.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/20 at 1:00 pm

Here's the pitch: the virus spreads like in Contagion. Meanwhile, like the scene in Contagion the emergency services are unavailable to respond to any emergency not related to the virus, but that combined with defunding the police causes chaos and anarchy so the family (the main protagonists in the film) have to protect their home that they were already quarantined in (like The Purge). Then, the climactic point is when the father of the family gets arrested by the Thought Police for speaking against Trump on social media.
...and the closing scenes of "Contagion" rang so true.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/30/20 at 1:06 pm

...and the closing scenes of "Contagion" rang so true.

Yes, that was really fitting for this year. It's almost like they predicted it when that movie was released almost 10 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/20 at 1:55 pm

put Donald Trump in that film of 2020.

Check for new replies or respond here...