inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Feeling Judged For Being An American

Written By: Ripley on 07/14/20 at 1:53 pm

Not all Americans are trash. I’m so sick of people saying negative things about Americans as if we support that piece of scum that’s representing us. Not true! It’s so unfair that because of some a holes, the rest of us are being treated like crap. Our country looks bad but it’s not my fault! Neither is it my family’s, my friends’ or that nice old lady that lives down the street from you’s fault. I in no way support that a hole discriminating president! Yet I’m a piece of garbage cause of my nationality?! 😔😏

Sorry for the rant and I hope it’s okay that I post it here. I just feel like a lot of people are judging Americans as a whole. I would love to be able to visit other countries someday as I have friends in other ones.

By the way, I don’t identify as either a Republican or a Democrat. If anything I’m Independent.

Subject: Re: Feeling Judged For Being An American

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/14/20 at 2:26 pm

Yes and very close to half the American voters didn’t vote for him.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/14/20 at 2:39 pm

I don't care what they say...I am American and proud to be. Just do what I do. Laugh it off and proudly display our flag for everyone to look at. I honestly don't care. I'm American and happy. ❤❤❤

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/14/20 at 5:37 pm

Not all Americans are trash. I’m so sick of people saying negative things about Americans as if we support that piece of scum that’s representing us. Not true! It’s so unfair that because of some a holes, the rest of us are being treated like crap. Our country looks bad but it’s not my fault! Neither is it my family’s, my friends’ or that nice old lady that lives down the street from you’s fault. I in no way support that a hole discriminating president! Yet I’m a piece of garbage cause of my nationality?! 😔😏

Sorry for the rant and I hope it’s okay that I post it here. I just feel like a lot of people are judging Americans as a whole. I would love to be able to visit other countries someday as I have friends in other ones.

By the way, I don’t identify as either a Republican or a Democrat. If anything I’m Independent.

If you're wondering why people look down on us even if we didn't personally contribute to the problem:

https://www.brainyquote.com/photos_tr/en/e/edmundburke/377528/edmundburke1-2x.jpg

https://redstatetalkradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/mlk.png

You can't just make a virtue signaling post on social media being like, "Hey, that's bad!" And call it a day and claim you've done your part. Slacktivism doesn't mean sheesh because you haven't actually done anything.

Consider that when people - rightfully - say our country is sheesh.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/20 at 6:23 pm

When I was stationed in Greece, there was a lot of animosity towards Americans over there. Why? Because a lot of Americans who were over there thought that because they were Americans they could do whatever they wanted and acted like total @$$holes. I remember my commanding officer say, "Don't be the ugly American." But, many were-and I worked with many of them.

Our base was a remote site which only had about 150 people stationed there. We had a bus that went to Athens probably about twice a week. The driver was just someone who needed to go and offered to drive. Some people had to go there for doctor's appointments, for issues with their personal or financial records, or just to go shopping at the BX. One time, I was on one of those bus trips. Our driver was driving a bit fast and was pulled over. A couple of Greek cops came onto the bus. These idiots in the back of the bus started yelling obscenities. I was so grateful that those cops didn't understand English. Talk about being the ugly American.

There are many times Americans will act like jerks when overseas. They think they can because they are Americans.

Now, we have a president who is totally incompetent and is alienating our allies. I think most of the world thinks we did this to ourselves or probably looks at us with pity. 

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/14/20 at 7:01 pm

I'm not so sure it's other countries. I think it's certain factions of America who are judging America right now.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/14/20 at 7:33 pm

There's something I really want to say, but I'm not going to say it....It infuriates me a bit... But I'm not going to say it.  :-X

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/14/20 at 8:55 pm

When I was stationed in Greece, there was a lot of animosity towards Americans over there. Why? Because a lot of Americans who were over there thought that because they were Americans they could do whatever they wanted and acted like total @$$holes. I remember my commanding officer say, "Don't be the ugly American." But, many were-and I worked with many of them.

Our base was a remote site which only had about 150 people stationed there. We had a bus that went to Athens probably about twice a week. The driver was just someone who needed to go and offered to drive. Some people had to go there for doctor's appointments, for issues with their personal or financial records, or just to go shopping at the BX. One time, I was on one of those bus trips. Our driver was driving a bit fast and was pulled over. A couple of Greek cops came onto the bus. These idiots in the back of the bus started yelling obscenities. I was so grateful that those cops didn't understand English. Talk about being the ugly American.

There are many times Americans will act like jerks when overseas. They think they can because they are Americans.

Now, we have a president who is totally incompetent and is alienating our allies. I think most of the world thinks we did this to ourselves or probably looks at us with pity. 

Cat

It was the same thing when I was stationed in Japan. The Americans would flex their muscles and be like "We're Americans! We're the greatest people in the world! HOORAH!"

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/14/20 at 9:01 pm

It was the same thing when I was stationed in Japan. The Americans would flex their muscles and be like "We're Americans! We're the greatest people in the world! HOORAH!"

To say nothing of our treatment of Iraqis.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/14/20 at 11:05 pm

I’ve not been in other countries, but this attitude being referred to is parodied in National Lampoons European Vacation. And that was 35 years ago.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/15/20 at 9:25 am

Yes and very close to half the American voters didn’t vote for him.

Actually, he lost the popular vote by almost 3,000,000 (that's THREE MILLION) votes

Written By: Ripley on 07/15/20 at 9:30 am

I know plenty of Americans treat each other with disrespect. It’s disgusting. I also know what you mean too about those “cocky” ones who think they’re the greatest. It’s really sad the way people act in this world.

Written By: wixness on 07/15/20 at 9:38 am

I think it's because people not doing anything to oppose the system makes them appear complicit in the system designed to crush others. Sometimes I get too angry though and accidentally angered some Brazilians on a different platform because of what is going on politically with their country (it's like the US with their president who is like Trump, and their situation with the coronavirus is also poorly managed); fortunately they understood that I misspoke but I think it's likely because they are not attached to the state that has been developed and they keep in mind that it's a European colony - they try to think beyond the borders set up by their ancestors.
In your case I'm not sure what to say. I'm not American myself and the few things I have to like about it is that much of the culture I like comes from there and that my place of birth was influenced by America, but I'm politically struggling to see what's great about the nation. I think it's because the American system was rigged from the start, set up by religious fundamentalists and people who benefitted from the slave trade.
People are also beginning to hate America because of its poor foreign policy, which I attribute to America's origins. Sure, America does have better civil liberties compared to some nations worldwide but I think ever since Reagan America has let many of its people down.

Written By: Elor on 07/15/20 at 10:07 am

As a German I can understand that feeling.  :-X
Even though I tend to dish out against the US (or mainly the Republican side of the US) on occasion I don't think that the whole population is moronic. It's just that the retarded minority makes all the noise and one of them is in the White House right now.

This is what pisses a lot of people of. The most ignorant idiots are usually the loudest and they drag everyone else of the same faction down with them. But that isn't an exclusively American problem. You should see some German or Russian tourists on Mallorca (Spanish Island that is also jokingly known here as the 19th German state because of the huge number of German tourists there...well, before Corona hit that is...). They think they own the island and are above the local population. 8-P

Written By: shadowcookie on 07/15/20 at 11:35 am

Even though I tend to dish out against the US (or mainly the Republican side of the US) on occasion I don't think that the whole population is moronic. It's just that the retarded minority makes all the noise and one of them is in the White House right now.
This is what pisses a lot of people of. The most ignorant idiots are usually the loudest and they drag everyone else of the same faction down with them. But that isn't an exclusively American problem. You should see some German or Russian tourists on Mallorca (Spanish Island that is also jokingly known here as the 19th German state because of the huge number of German tourists there...well, before Corona hit that is...). They think they own the island and are above the local population. 8-P

Brits in Ibiza are often the same. And Mallorca, especially Magaluf, which some people colloquially call Shagaluf. It’s a shame really because the Balearic islands are stunning. Just avoid the cheapo resorts.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 07/20/20 at 4:49 pm

"Every nation has the government it deserves" (Joseph de Maistre). "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders" (George Carlin). Two of the truest statements ever said. Take a good, hard look at the mirror. The US has a disproportionately high number of selfish and ignorant people. Not every American is like that, but there's enough for that statement to be not so far-fetched. I say this as an American btw.

Written By: Wink-182 on 07/20/20 at 7:28 pm

Yeah I'll admit also, it bothers me a little bit too at time on how non-Americans will crap on Americans over the actions of out government, but once you realize that every country has it's problems, you'll realize no nationality is better than any other.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/21/20 at 4:24 am

You know you can't say "retarded" anymore, right?

CANCELLED

Written By: Elor on 07/21/20 at 6:11 am

You know you can't say "retarded" anymore, right?

CANCELLED
As a white straight male I was cancelled a long time ago. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...