inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crypto scammers hack Elon Musk, Biden, Obama, and Kanye on Twitter

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/20 at 5:09 pm

Hackers promoting crypto scams took over a number of high-profile Twitter accounts Wednesday, including Bill Gates, Kanye and Elon Musk, who has been a frequent target of would-be crypto scammers. Joe Biden’s account was also briefly taken over, as was Barack Obama’s. Accounts belonging to Apple, Uber, Kanye West, Jeff Bezos and a number of other celebrities and public figures were also hit.

https://www.engadget.com/crypto-scammers-hack-elon-musk-bill-gates-twitter-204011058.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAXeVazS6k5Fveb-WiDXVZap8k378vYdB26MfSvvYMORtjvt8lZsvIqC5TXJQcIPJtrULav9pS6vKLINHp23RaNtPF1F4nuDyAxXeOzsQ8JqGlrQCefp6wMv5_8FUFN7yiFfFy5VqoZJEZaD_I_HypEwqfJwhz5ivRThE1VM3kQa

I hope the URL works?

Another URL from the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53425822

Subject: Re: Crypto scammers hack Elon Musk, Biden, Obama, and Kanye on Twitter

Written By: Sman12 on 07/15/20 at 6:05 pm

Yeah, I saw it play out in real-time. It was insane.  :o

Twitter also didn't allow blue checkmark people to post there.

Written By: wixness on 07/15/20 at 6:49 pm

In a world where capitalism is often instrumental in abusing human rights, my only regret for these hackers is that they were too overt in their operations.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/16/20 at 9:46 am

In a world where capitalism is often instrumental in abusing human rights, my only regret for these hackers is that they were too overt in their operations.

Are you saying that you approve of their actions?

Written By: wixness on 07/16/20 at 9:56 am

Are you saying that you approve of their actions?
There are some hackers though who are genuinely abusive (I've come across hackers who wanted to try and keep an eye on their girlfriends), but these sort of hackers who I hope do not try to abuse vulnerable individuals I silently condone, because I have no faith in how the state and companies and capitalism will ever make anything better.

All capitalism does is just force humans to be defined by how profitable they are themselves or to someone else. IBM profited from giving details of Jews to Nazi Germans and they've never apologized. Art exists only as business ideas, with figures like Kanye benefitting from that. The environment is being destroyed because of profit. People are forced to work even when they're not well. A UK worker for Amazon had to defecate in his van on the job or just lose his only source of income, whereas Bezos does not have to ever do that or even worry about his lifeline being taken away from him. Apple benefits from what is effectively prison labor, except almost none of the laborers are guilty of any crime.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/16/20 at 1:37 pm

There are some hackers though who are genuinely abusive (I've come across hackers who wanted to try and keep an eye on their girlfriends), but these sort of hackers who I hope do not try to abuse vulnerable individuals I silently condone, because I have no faith in how the state and companies and capitalism will ever make anything better.

All capitalism does is just force humans to be defined by how profitable they are themselves or to someone else. IBM profited from giving details of Jews to Nazi Germans and they've never apologized. Art exists only as business ideas, with figures like Kanye benefitting from that. The environment is being destroyed because of profit. People are forced to work even when they're not well. A UK worker for Amazon had to defecate in his van on the job or just lose his only source of income, whereas Bezos does not have to ever do that or even worry about his lifeline being taken away from him. Apple benefits from what is effectively prison labor, except almost none of the laborers are guilty of any crime.

That's gonna be a mega yikes from me, man. Hacking is still a huge crime, and these companies and people never deserved to get their profiles hacked in the first place.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/16/20 at 7:22 pm

I dunno, I’d say corporations that use their wealth and power to manipulate elections and destroy the planet kinda deserve to be hacked.

Written By: mc98 on 07/16/20 at 7:42 pm

I don't think people like Obama and Biden deserved it.

Written By: wixness on 07/16/20 at 7:59 pm

I don't think people like Obama and Biden deserved it.
Quite weird and telling that they didn't go for Trump but somehow went for Musk and other soulless corporates.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 8:23 pm

Quite weird and telling that they didn't go for Trump but somehow went for Musk and other soulless corporates.

I'm tired of all these goofballs like Elon Musk and Mark Cuban and Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos. As if they have something to say. People used to idolize rock stars. At least rock stars were talented and mysterious and sexy and created often great art. Now people idolize soulless rich people basically just because they are rich. Another thing we have the 1980s to thank for. The decade that Ronald Reagan legitimized greed.

Written By: wixness on 07/16/20 at 9:34 pm

I'm tired of all these goofballs like Elon Musk and Mark Cuban and Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos. As if they have something to say. People used to idolize rock stars. At least rock stars were talented and mysterious and sexy and created often great art. Now people idolize soulless rich people basically just because they are rich. Another thing we have the 1980s to thank for. The decade that Ronald Reagan legitimized greed.
Because somehow they earned it and they will apparently put it to good use. I like to think at least that it's America's blind faith in capitalism that contributed to this more than anything.
Rock stars were sexy, yes. Those in suits are just oppressive IMO.

I'd vandalize Reagan's grave if I were in the US but I'm not and I would be imprisoned for life if I did. Maybe the same for Thatcher's grave too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 9:59 pm

Because somehow they earned it and they will apparently put it to good use. I like to think at least that it's America's blind faith in capitalism that contributed to this more than anything.

I like what social commentator Fran Leibowitz says about these so-called billionaires:

It’s ridiculous that people make ten million dollars, let alone a thousand million dollars, which is a billion. No one should have these amounts of money, and if you say this, people go, ‘Oh, why shouldn’t people be able to earn all the money they want?’ And I say, ‘First of all, you don’t earn a billion dollars, you steal it.’ You earn $10 an hour. Earn means work. No one who has a billion dollars worked for it. They stole it, they tricked you out of it, they figured something out, but that is not work, okay? And so this kind of very pure capitalism that we have now, by which I mean capital with no product, like just money, it is something that used to be illegal, and should be illegal.”

-www.anothermag.com/fashion-beauty/12483/alexander-fury-candy-magazine-interview-with-fran-lebowitz-rizzoli

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/17/20 at 9:52 am

There's a big difference between acts of rebellion and defiance and pure criminality.  I agree that there is a lot wrong with capitalism, but hacking peoples' social media accounts does nothing to correct it's failings. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/17/20 at 10:03 am

There's a big difference between acts of rebellion and defiance and pure criminality.  I agree that there is a lot wrong with capitalism, but hacking peoples' social media accounts does nothing to correct it's failings.

Agreed!

Written By: karen on 07/31/20 at 4:15 pm

Three people have been charged over this Twitter hack according to the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53617198

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/20 at 7:28 am

Three people have been charged over this Twitter hack according to the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53617198
I was surprise to read that one if those charged lived in Bognor Regis in West Sussex.

Check for new replies or respond here...