inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music in 2020 Doesn't Fit The Environment

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/20 at 5:19 pm

What I mean is mainstream music has become very upbeat. The music that's coming out doesn't match with the depressing feeling 2020 comes with maybe only a few songs. But songs like Binding Lights, Say So, Savage, Savage Love, etc. don't fit the environment as the songs are very upbeat and positive. 

Subject: Re: Music in 2020 Doesn't Fit The Environment

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/19/20 at 5:51 pm

That's just the way is goes now. Unlike the glorious 60 and 70s when music drove the culture (and the culture drove the music), music today, as you point out, is woefully removed and out of touch with the zeitgeist. It exists as product only. And meaningless product at that. It's a damn shame, but that's what greed will get you.

Written By: exodus08 on 07/19/20 at 6:02 pm

Electro-Industrial fits this year and maybe decade.
7DJ12asti2k&list=RD7DJ12asti2k&start_radio=1

Written By: violet_shy on 07/19/20 at 6:06 pm

That's because they are too busy trying to bring back music and sounds from the past that they forget the 2020s needs it's own music identity. Forget the 80s, it's a whole new decade! They really should release music that go with the times.

Written By: goodbants on 07/19/20 at 6:18 pm

What I mean is mainstream music has become very upbeat. The music that's coming out doesn't match with the depressing feeling 2020 comes with maybe only a few songs. But songs like Binding Lights, Say So, Savage, Savage Love, etc. don't fit the environment as the songs are very upbeat and positive.

I don't know about you, but the music I'm listening to right now is very mellow. I think there are still plenty of mellow songs hitting the charts, they just aren't remembered as easily. Also, if you look at the Top 40 now, it's still heavily filled with trap beats and rap like 2017-2019. I find music through Spotify and not the radio so that might be a difference.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/19/20 at 6:43 pm

Upbeat music is what we need right now. Bringing back happier sounds from the 80s is a nice distraction. I’ve long waited for 80s sounds to be incorporated into modern music the way they are doing.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/19/20 at 7:48 pm

Upbeat music is what we need right now. Bringing back happier sounds from the 80s is a nice distraction. I’ve long waited for 80s sounds to be incorporated into modern music the way they are doing.

You don't think art and music should reflect the culture and the times? I'm not sure I agree with the idea that music should exist as a "distraction". We should have poppy, happy, shiny music while the country is crumbling around us? There's something very dystopian about that notion. Kind of like the old "Nero fiddled while Rome burned". Not to mention that 80s music was pretty shallow the first time around. Having it back now would be like eating a leftover leftover that wasn't very appetizing in the first place.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/19/20 at 8:14 pm

You don't think art and music should reflect the culture and the times? I'm not sure I agree with the idea that music should exist as a "distraction". We should have poppy, happy, shiny music while the country is crumbling around us? There's something very dystopian about that notion. Kind of like the old "Nero fiddled while Rome burned". Not to mention that 80s music was pretty shallow the first time around. Having it back now would be like eating a leftover leftover that wasn't very appetizing in the first place.

If Nero was the one responsible for putting out the fire then yes that would be wrong. But if Nero is just providing some comfort and sanity to the citizens in a horrible situation then I’m all for it. Musical artists aren’t the ones responsible for making the decisions in running the country. I agree 80s music was shallow. It was simple and upbeat. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. We have enough bad news bogging us down right now. I don’t want to turn on my radio and hear music that sounds like more bad news. Music is like an escape and I think simple, upbeat music is what a lot of people need right now. My thoughts anyway.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/19/20 at 8:33 pm

Y’all act like 2020 music not fitting the environment is a bad thing. The environment is terrible. ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/19/20 at 8:43 pm

If Nero was the one responsible for putting out the fire then yes that would be wrong. But if Nero is just providing some comfort and sanity to the citizens in a horrible situation then I’m all for it. Musical artists aren’t the ones responsible for making the decisions in running the country. I agree 80s music was shallow. It was simple and upbeat. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. We have enough bad news bogging us down right now. I don’t want to turn on my radio and hear music that sounds like more bad news. Music is like an escape and I think simple, upbeat music is what a lot of people need right now. My thoughts anyway.

Musical artists may not be responsible for making decisions and running the country, but I remember a time when they damn well STRONGLY influenced it. People hung on to every last word the likes of a John Lennon or a Bob Dylan said (or sang). And all the anti-Vietnam War songs mobilized the people to the point of ultimately ending the war.  Lennon gave us "Give Peace A Chance" that was sung at every peace march and rally both large and small, from coast to coast. Or think of Kent State in 1970. Less than two weeks after the shooting, CSNY had "Ohio" out on the streets (and it was hard to a record recorded and pressed that fast in those days), and that song unified a lot of people after that great tragedy. Ultimately this is far more meaningful than "simple, upbeat" escapist music. I'm not saying it ALL has to be that way, but music is so far removed from that now that it might as well be wallpaper.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/20 at 9:24 pm

I agree. My post wasn't a complaint, just an observation. I like the upbeat feeling of music this year. We haven't had it in a while and it's a nice distraction.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/20 at 9:26 pm

Y’all act like 2020 music not fitting the environment is a bad thing. The environment is terrible. ;D

Yeah I don't think it's a bad thing at all, no complaints from me, I think it's good and it's a nice distraction. Some people don't like it I guess which is kind of funny.  :P

Written By: violet_shy on 07/19/20 at 9:59 pm

I was hoping today's music would sound more futuristic. Or at least getting there. I understand the music is upbeat, but why not make it upbeat and unique sounding? Why must they try to bring back the past? I just don't get it.... :-\\

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/19/20 at 11:32 pm

I love the 80s. I love synths, so I welcome that retro sound. If it sounds good, go for it.

Katy Perry and SKip Marley did "Chained to the Rhythm" back in 2017. That same year Marley released a reggae/rock/pop song called "Lions," a theme he hints at in Perry's hit.

Ariana Grande has "Stuck with You," Twenty One Pilots have the uptempo "Level of Concern," and Ruth B wrote the charity single "If I Have a Son." H.E.R. has a song called "I Can't Breathe."

The ironic thing is that a lot of the 60s tunes are as relevant today as they were 50-55 years ago. "Eve of Destruction," "For What It's Worth," "In the Year 2525," "Who'll Stop the Rain," "Let's Live for Today," "Get Together," "Time Has Come Today."

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/20/20 at 12:04 am

I was hoping today's music would sound more futuristic. Or at least getting there. I understand the music is upbeat, but why not make it upbeat and unique sounding? Why must they try to bring back the past? I just don't get it.... :-\\

What would make it "futuristic"?

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 1:55 am

What would make it "futuristic"?

Something sounds futuristic when it has sounds that are already associated with current-day assumptions of what the future will be like. So 80s songs could sound futuristic by incorporating electronic sounds, because it was assumed (correctly) that the future would be more electronic. Y2K-era electronic music sounded futuristic for the same reason: electronics would play a bigger role in the future again.

I don't think we can make music that would really hit our ears as "futuristic" right now because we have no confident assumptions of what the future will be like, whereas in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s there was a clear trajectory from which to build up a conception of the future and what will stand out in the future. Without a present-day idea of what the future will be like, one that a lot of people agree with and are confident about, you can't establish what's futuristic.

Music is always about what is meaningful to people today, and futuristic sounding music in the past was meaningful for people who were confident in some idea of the future. Without a clear future-concept, you either have to take a guess at what the future will be and make music about it, if you want to make something suggestive of the future, and so it'll be very experimental music, or you can just try to define the present through music.

Or you can go for escapism.

To want music that sounds futuristic is, really, in our current situation, to want a well-defined concept in the first place of what the future will be, preferably an optimistic conception.

Written By: fusefan on 07/23/20 at 1:18 am

I remember when the Iraq war started people thought protest music was going to come back into the mainstream but what was popular then? Sure there were a few songs like American Idiot, Ect.. But the Iraq war era is when Ringtone Rap, American Idol songs, and Generic post grunge thrived.  For every "BYOB" you had 5 "Bad Day's" and "Laffy Taffy's" to go along with it. So I'm not surprised in the least.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/23/20 at 1:48 am

Neil Young did record an anti-Bush album, including "Let's Impeach the President."

A recently-signed pop trio called Avenue Beat answered your prayers, Slim. What more needs to be said?

qZj8lrSZHsE

Warning: If you're offended by certain words that begin with F or S, or certain gestures, this might not be for you.

It's a pretty cute tune, and so true.

Written By: Slashpop on 07/23/20 at 7:28 am

I agree. We need to disconnect from the stuff that still feels like the 2010s sooner. Time for something totally different.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/23/20 at 10:23 am

So what if 2020's music doesn't fit the grim environment of the world right now? The more happy and upbeat the music is, the better people feel imo.

Written By: karen on 07/23/20 at 10:34 am

In the U.K. there have been a couple of songs to come out of the lockdown situation.

The Rolling Stones released one called Living in a Ghost Town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNNPNweSbp8

BBC Radio 1 was involved in launching a charity song to raise funds for coronavirus relief. It is a cover of Foo Fighters Time Like These and has Dua Lipa, Chris Martin and Ellie Goulding among others.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/23/20 at 12:14 pm

So what if 2020's music doesn't fit the grim environment of the world right now? The more happy and upbeat the music is, the better people feel imo.

That attitude reminds me of the shallow disco period. "Let's all bury our heads in the sand. Let's all fiddle while Rome burns. Anything as long as we 'feel good'".  It doesn't have to be totally depressing you know. Great art can reflect the times and inspire greatly. That's why it's great. "Give Peace A Chance" by John Lennon. "Ohio" by CSNY. "Revolution" by the Beatles. It doesn't happen much these days.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/23/20 at 4:04 pm

That attitude reminds me of the shallow disco period. "Let's all bury our heads in the sand. Let's all fiddle while Rome burns. Anything as long as we 'feel good'".  It doesn't have to be totally depressing you know. Great art can reflect the times and inspire greatly. That's why it's great. "Give Peace A Chance" by John Lennon. "Ohio" by CSNY. "Revolution" by the Beatles. It doesn't happen much these days.

Well, I don't mind if the popular music scene sounds mostly upbeat or somber, but it wouldn't hurt for some songs to lift up people's spirits.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/25/20 at 10:35 am

People want upbeat music in bad times. Look at Disco during the 1970s malaise.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/26/20 at 6:40 am

I found a few angst-y songs that fit the mood...

IaWqvtShfGQ

(Yes, the Gotye song)

sLUvRA3ZbJ8

6Pj5sa18-x8

Two indies and a hard rock cover of a 2010s pop-rock tune.

Written By: XYkid on 07/27/20 at 5:41 am

I found myself listening to a lot more 90s and zeros music over the past few years because I just cannot stand how depressing a lot of new music is. It’s way too slow for my tastes. Obviously I agree with that Having super upbeat music during dark times is theory and dystopian, but there definitely needs to be more variety! I’m also really tired of songs with 100 bpm being considered dance music now.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/28/20 at 8:46 am

I just discovered this Ben Folds ballad from June:

4znKUAMFY9A

Written By: exodus08 on 07/28/20 at 8:53 am

4znKUAMFY9A

He should of waited until September.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/28/20 at 8:17 pm

4znKUAMFY9A

Lmao, this is hilarious. I love it when he said that there's more to wreck in 6 more months, and with how this year's been going on, he probably won't be wrong.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/30/20 at 8:18 am

There's some songs that fit, including "Stuck on You" by Ariana Grande, "Level of Concern" by Twenty One Pilots, "Tootsie Slide" by Drake, and "California" and "I Cry" by Usher.

Written By: CarCar on 07/31/20 at 12:37 pm

That's because they are too busy trying to bring back music and sounds from the past that they forget the 2020s needs it's own music identity. Forget the 80s, it's a whole new decade! They really should release music that go with the times.

They have they’re heads to stuck in nostalgias ass too even come up with something to fit the general vibe of this era

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/31/20 at 3:05 pm

They have they’re heads to stuck in nostalgias ass too even come up with something to fit the general vibe of this era

It might actually be reflecting the era in a way. So many people tired of the way things are headed and missing the simpler times.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/31/20 at 3:10 pm

It might actually be reflecting the era in a way. So many people tired of the way things are headed and missing the simpler times.

Yes I like the escapism.

Written By: CarCar on 07/31/20 at 7:55 pm

Yes I like the escapism.

Well to each our then. What about 2020 mirrors the 80s though is what I don’t know

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/01/20 at 8:29 am

Well to each our then. What about 2020 mirrors the 80s though is what I don’t know

It's like the real life version of the movie "Ready Player One". The current reality is a bummer so it's better to virtually live back in the 80's.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 8:41 am

It's like the real life version of the movie "Ready Player One". The current reality is a bummer so it's better to virtually live back in the 80's.

For the life of me, as someone who lived through the 1980s hook, line and sinker, especially having come through the glorious 60s and 70s (with all their ups and downs), I just don't get the fascination people here have with that crappy decade. Shallow music, the wholesale legitimization of greed...oh, it was just awful.  8-P 

Written By: CarCar on 08/01/20 at 8:55 am

For the life of me, as someone who lived through the 1980s hook, line and sinker, especially having come through the glorious 60s and 70s (with all their ups and downs), I just don't get the fascination people here have with that crappy decade. Shallow music, the wholesale legitimization of greed...oh, it was just awful.  8-P

I will be entertained when people find some way to romanticize the 2010s I just know it won’t be my generation to really do that or if we do it’s most likely gonna be only to cash in on the nostalgia, I can’t wait till 2010s babies start turning 20 and really do that

NGL I was never really a fan of 80s music, it just sounds so old and the decade looks so cheesy now

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 9:10 am

I will be entertained when people find some way to romanticize the 2010s I just know it won’t be my generation to really do that or if we do it’s most likely gonna be only to cash in on the nostalgia, I can’t wait till 2010s babies start turning 20 and really do that

NGL I was never really a fan of 80s music, it just sounds so old and the decade looks so cheesy now

It seems that the people here who romanticize the 80s for some reason are those who were not born yet. They think it was an "upbeat" pop culture wonderland or something. Very inaccurate. Besides, "upbeat" is not always a virtue.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 9:11 am

Are you calling Dire Straits cheesy?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 9:25 am

Dire Straits emerged from the 70s. I first heard "Sultans of Swing" in 1978. Besides, not every last shred of 80s music was terrible, obviously. All decades have some good. The Waterboys came out of the 80 and they remain among my favorites. But even they have strong, strong echoes of 60s and 70s. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 9:40 am

Dire Straits emerged from the 70s. I first heard "Sultans of Swing" in 1978. Besides, not every last shred of 80s music was terrible, obviously. All decades have some good. The Waterboys came out of the 80 and they remain among my favorites. But even they have strong, strong echoes of 60s and 70s. 
The Dire Straits concert at Wembley Stadium was something to be seen.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 9:45 am

The Dire Straits concert at Wembley Stadium was something to be seen.

They were good at Live Aid also. They played "Sultans of Swing" for something like ten minuets. It was their entire set except for that "I want my MTV" song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 9:51 am

They were good at Live Aid also. They played "Sultans of Swing" for something like ten minuets. It was their entire set except for that "I want my MTV" song.
Queen were awesome too, never to be repeated.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 9:57 am

Over the years I have always liked the question "Which was the first band to play at Live Aid?"

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 10:03 am

Queen were awesome too, never to be repeated.

I'm sorry, but that's the revisionist history, largely due to that revisionist movie. Queen were just one more performance that day. They may have been "powerhouse", but they didn't "steal the show" to any significant degree, nor did people "ooh and ah" for days afterwards. In fact, more people were talking about the somewhat average Led Zeppelin reunion than about Queen. For Queen it was one more gig. It certainly wasn't  like their entire career was leading up to that moment, as revisionist history now has it. In fact, I taped a large portion of Live Aid with my VCR and I didn't even bother to tape Queen. Had it been the God-all spectacular second coming that  people now make it out to be I would have been knocking things over on my way to the machine (the remote controls then weren't really great for recording) to tape it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 10:05 am

I'm sorry, but that's the revisionist history, largely due to that revisionist movie. Queen were just one more performance that day. They may have been "powerhouse", but they didn't "steal the show" to any significant degree, nor did people "ooh and ah" for days afterwards. In fact, more people were talking about the somewhat average Led Zeppelin reunion than about Queen. For Queen it was one more gig. It certainly wasn't  like their entire career was leading up to that moment, as revisionist history now has it. In fact, I taped a large portion of Live Aid with my VCR and I didn't even bother to tape Queen. Had it been the God-all spectacular second coming that  people now make it out to be I would have been knocking things over on my way to the machine (no remotes then) to tape it.
When it came to the opera bit of "Bohemian Rhapsody", they walk off the stage.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 10:20 am

When it came to the opera bit of "Bohemian Rhapsody", they walk off the stage.

Is that good or bad?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 10:21 am

I'm sorry, but that's the revisionist history, largely due to that revisionist movie. Queen were just one more performance that day. They may have been "powerhouse", but they didn't "steal the show" to any significant degree, nor did people "ooh and ah" for days afterwards. In fact, more people were talking about the somewhat average Led Zeppelin reunion than about Queen. For Queen it was one more gig. It certainly wasn't  like their entire career was leading up to that moment, as revisionist history now has it. In fact, I taped a large portion of Live Aid with my VCR and I didn't even bother to tape Queen. Had it been the God-all spectacular second coming that  people now make it out to be I would have been knocking things over on my way to the machine (the remote controls then weren't really great for recording) to tape it.
That day we were had to be out for day and never got to see any of it live.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 10:23 am

Is that good or bad?
Bad, for it shows that bit was prerecorded, at least they could had done something vocal live on stage.

Written By: karen on 08/01/20 at 11:32 am

Bad, for it shows that bit was prerecorded, at least they could had done something vocal live on stage.

They never sang it live on stage. They could never have done it justice in my opinion unless they brought in more vocalists.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 11:33 am

They never sang it live on stage. They could never have done it justice in my opinion unless they brought in more vocalists.
Exactly, bring on a choir, etc.

Written By: karen on 08/01/20 at 11:33 am

Over the years I have always liked the question "Which was the first band to play at Live Aid?"

Status Quo Rocking All Over the World. I once danced at a wake to this song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 11:35 am

Status Quo Rocking All Over the World. I once danced at a wake to this song.
But it was not Status Quo that was the first to play...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 12:23 pm

But it was not Status Quo that was the first to play...

It is widely believed that at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia the legendary Joan Baez opened the show. Introduced by Jack Nicholson, if I recall. And, officially, she did open the show. But, believe it or not, before the TV cameras were turned on to broadcast Ms. Baez's set worldwide, a completely unknown  spotty faced 18 year old kid who went by the name "Bernard Watson" (real name David Weinstein) actually opened the USA portion of Live Aid. He somehow did the impossible and pestered Bill Graham into allowing him to sing one song. Wow!

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/meet_david_weinstein_the_18-year-old_kid_who_opened_live_aid

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 12:27 pm

In the UK the first band to play was the military band of the Coldstream Guards with a royal fanfare leading into the National Anthem.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 12:36 pm

In the UK the first band to play was the military band of the Coldstream Guards with a royal fanfare leading into the National Anthem.

At least that's a little more "official" than an unknown teenager literally off the street! But I've got the official Live Aid book that came out a few months after the event (it now sells for a pretty penny on Ebay) and, believe it or not, Mr. Watson gets a full page, just like all the official performers, in order of appearance. For some reason the Coldstream Guards only get half a page.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 12:43 pm

At least that's a little more "official" than an unknown teenager literally off the street! But I've got the official Live Aid book that came out a few months after the event (it now sells for a pretty penny on Ebay) and, believe it or not, Mr. Watson gets a full page, just like all the official performers, in order of appearance. For some reason the Coldstream Guards only get half a page.
In the book, does it tell Phil Collins flew to Philadelphia, was it by Concorde?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 12:47 pm

In the book, does it tell Phil Collins flew to Philadelphia, was it by Concorde?

Yes, he flew on the Concorde. Cher was on it too. That's how she ended up in the US finale of the show.

Written By: CarCar on 08/01/20 at 1:37 pm

Don’t know who that is

Written By: CarCar on 08/01/20 at 1:40 pm

It seems that the people here who romanticize the 80s for some reason are those who were not born yet. They think it was an "upbeat" pop culture wonderland or something. Very inaccurate. Besides, "upbeat" is not always a virtue.

Easier to romanticize the decade you didn’t live in since it seems so exotic while for people who lived it seems pretty mundane

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/20 at 2:13 am

Don’t know who that is
Dire Straits were a British rock band formed in London in 1977 by Mark Knopfler, David Knopfler, John Illsley, and Pick Withers. They were active from 1977 to 1988 and again from 1991 to 1995. Dire Straits are one of the world's best-selling music artists, with album sales of over 100 million.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 4:26 am

Over the years there is one song by Dire Straits that has haunted me, played at the live Wembley Stadium concert, it contained a long instrumental break of drums and possibly (solo) bass guitar, or other guitars. In time, with the help from the WWW I will find this again, in the meantime I think it is "Private Invetigations.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 8:23 am

Over the years there is one song by Dire Straits that has haunted me, played at the live Wembley Stadium concert, it contained a long instrumental break of drums and possibly (solo) bass guitar, or other guitars. In time, with the help from the WWW I will find this again, in the meantime I think it is "Private Investigations".
I can now confirm it is "Private Investigations", after just hearing it. At the Wembley gig it must had been a longer version, but definitely that song.

Written By: karen on 08/03/20 at 9:58 am

I can now confirm it is "Private Investigations", after just hearing it. At the Wembley gig it must had been a longer version, but definitely that song.

Bands often do longer live versions of well known songs, either to show case the guitar solo or as a crowd singalong

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/03/20 at 10:14 am

Bands often do longer live versions of well known songs, either to show case the guitar solo or as a crowd singalong

Oh, yes. I come from the time when it was expected that bands would do longer, spacier versions of songs in concert.  It was part of the experience. It was the Eagles who set a kind of precedent that the songs in concert had to be note perfect reproductions of the album. Who wants that? Boring! You might as well be sitting at home listing to the album.  In the 60s and 70s there were many extra dimensions to a live concert that weren't on the record.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 10:21 am

If I go to a concert, I paid my ticket to hear the band or artist perform not thousands of other people!

Written By: karen on 08/03/20 at 10:53 am

If I go to a concert, I paid my ticket to hear the band or artist perform not thousands of other people!

Then I think you are missing out. Crowd participation in various forms makes for memorable concerts.

As an example we saw The Real Thing in concert a couple of years ago. They kept the crowd singing along to You To Me Are Everything for several minutes and everyone loved it! My kids commented how good it was even though they’d never heard the song before

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 10:56 am

Then I think you are missing out. Crowd participation in various forms makes for memorable concerts.

When we saw "The Rat Pack" in the West End London, there was a group who insisted on standing up and dancing at they seats, luckily for us, they were behind us, so our view was not obstructed.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/03/20 at 11:24 am

When we saw "The Rat Pack" in the West End London, there was a group who insisted on standing up and dancing at they seats, luckily for us, they were behind us, so our view was not obstructed.

I just saw an interesting documentary on the free streaming Tubi channel called "Sinatra In Palm Springs:The Place He Called Home".  All about Frank Sinatra's years in Palm Springs, California.  I'm not a particularly huge Sinatra fan but it was fascinating to see the mid-century 1960s vibe that he lived in. The architecture, the houses and restaurants, the style of the sound systems in people's homes of the era.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 11:30 am

I just saw an interesting documentary on the free streaming Tubi channel called "Sinatra In Palm Springs:The Place He Called Home".  All about Frank Sinatra's years in Palm Springs, California.  I'm not a particularly huge Sinatra fan but it was fascinating to see the mid-century 1960s vibe that he lived in. The architecture, the houses and restaurants, the style of the sound systems in people's homes of the era.
I find the other side of Frank Sinatra's life interesting too, which all kicked off for me when I learned that his son was once kidnapped.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/17/20 at 3:54 pm

Tbh, I like it how music is actually upbeat now, yes there are still a huge amount of annoying sad pop but the upbeat vibes help me get through the pandemic.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/15/20 at 6:34 am

Demi Lovato just answered your call.

n9Y-lS1trhw

Very powerful and timely.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/17/20 at 9:18 am

I think Green Day's "American Idiot" would be even more fitting for today.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/17/20 at 8:04 pm

Fleetwood Mac's Dreams is Number 21 because of a tiktok video. Pretty crazy. Definitely shows that social media even has power over classic music.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/22/20 at 6:56 pm

Finneas goes political.

MuX-WRciqBc

And there's literally a hit song called "If the World Was Ending."

1jO2wSpAoxA

President Ariana Grande

Written By: Sman12 on 10/24/20 at 11:53 am

Fleetwood Mac's Dreams is Number 21 because of a tiktok video. Pretty crazy. Definitely shows that social media even has power over classic music.

It's nice to see classic music be played like this. At least now, some older people will realize that not every Zoomer listens to Top 40 "garbage".

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/08/20 at 7:02 am

What were you saying about music in 2020 not fitting the environment?

g1f4nAttbqM

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/20/20 at 7:27 am

Bea Miller just released two new songs, which are both quite cynical and angry. "Everything is a Lie" and "Hallelujah" (not Cohen).

You might remember her as Beatrice Miller, a contestant on the Britney Spears season of The X Factor (USA). She finished ninth.

Check for new replies or respond here...