inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you think 2020s culture will start to be felt?

Written By: 1997days on 07/23/20 at 3:39 pm

I think when the new president gets reelected and the covid 19 dies down things will feel different.I think 2020s culture will be fully felt in the summer if 2021!

Subject: Re: When do you think 2020s culture will start to be felt?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/23/20 at 3:53 pm

Why does everybody here keep saying that? This IS 2020s culture! It doesn't GET more "2020s" than this.  People here always seem to be "waiting" for something to start as if we are always in one big holding pattern. 2020s culture is masks, pandemic, social distancing, BLM, George Floyd, unrest, and will be forever remembered as such. Good, bad, or indifferent, THAT'S a culture.

Written By: mc98 on 07/23/20 at 4:10 pm

We would probably get a taste of 2020s culture around spring or summer 2021.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 07/23/20 at 6:08 pm

Why does everybody here keep saying that? This IS 2020s culture! It doesn't GET more "2020s" than this.  People here always seem to be "waiting" for something to start as if we are always in one big holding pattern. 2020s culture is masks, pandemic, social distancing, BLM, George Floyd, unrest, and will be forever remembered as such. Good, bad, or indifferent, THAT'S a culture.

It's still way too early to tell. BLM had existed long before 2020, so I don't see how it's exclusively 20s culture. Unless the pandemic and masks last through December 31, 2029, I highly doubt they'll be considered "20s" culture. It's more likely to be associated with 2020 itself. The 2010s economically are clearly over but it's still too early to tell how the rest of the 20s will turn out. This happened in the 90s as well. The fashion, aesthetic, and music is still distinctly late 2010s. I'm sure someone will mention a handful of songs that makes it untrue, but mostly everything is very 2018-2019 but with COVID and a depressing economy blurring the picture. 

Trump has been President since 2017 (along with daily coverage of him since 2015), so a likely Biden presidency in 2021 would certainly link 2020 with the 2010s at least politically.  My prediction is that we'll look back at 2020 as the crash and epilogue of the 2010s with hints of what came after.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/23/20 at 7:39 pm

I honestly don't know, but what I can say is that we shouldn't expect change to happen in a desired "era" because thats when we might get disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/23/20 at 8:48 pm

It's still way too early to tell. BLM had existed long before 2020, so I don't see how it's exclusively 20s culture. Unless the pandemic and masks last through December 31, 2029, I highly doubt they'll be considered "20s" culture. It's more likely to be associated with 2020 itself. The 2010s economically are clearly over but it's still too early to tell how the rest of the 20s will turn out. This happened in the 90s as well. The fashion, aesthetic, and music is still distinctly late 2010s. I'm sure someone will mention a handful of songs that makes it untrue, but mostly everything is very 2018-2019 but with COVID and a depressing economy blurring the picture.

That's exactly how I feel with culture now.  :)

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/23/20 at 10:23 pm

That's exactly how I feel with culture now.  :)

And same with me too. When it comes to music, fashion, and technology, 2020 is basically 2010's in everything but name alone.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/23/20 at 10:41 pm

I'll go with 2023/4 at earliest, because I'm a pessimist.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/23/20 at 10:43 pm

I'll go with 2023/4 at earliest, because I'm a pessimist.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if 2020's culture started pretty late. So yeah I think by 2022 or 2023 we'll definitely be in 2020's culture

Written By: mqg96 on 07/24/20 at 8:03 am

We're already in 2020's culture. It just started literally the moment this decade began. The COVID19/pandemic is a more drastic change than what 9/11 did nearly 20 years ago. One only had an impact on one country, while the other has impacted the WHOLE world. 9/11 changed the world, but not as drastic or sudden as COVID at all.

You gotta look at the effect of what the COVID19/pandemic has done. It has effected MULTIPLE industries and businesses left & right, rather it's the workforce, college & professional sports, stores, restaurants, concerts & events being cancelled, schools or colleges with plans to go hybrid or full virtual now, and so forth.

This is already 2020's culture, and there's nothing else to be said. COVID has impacted EVERYTHING you can think of that's a big part of our lives. The moment you thought the pandemic was going away, nope, we open back up a little bit and numbers are skyrocketing back up.

This isn't going away anytime soon no matter how much we want to deny it. Even when a true vaccine finally comes out (which won't be til later in 2021 at the earliest or maybe even early 2022), the world will never go back to how it 100% was pre-COVID world, because of the after effects of COVID that are happening in front of our eyes right now.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/24/20 at 8:05 am

Agreed 100%. That's definitely a culture. I don't know what else you can say after this.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/24/20 at 8:21 am

This. The same people wondering/complaining about when things will change and when the 2020s will "begin" are the same people who were complaining a few years back in the late 2010s about how the '10s were "the worst decade ever" and they wish the '10s "would just end already." Not naming names or anything.

Written By: wixness on 07/24/20 at 8:26 am

I think when the new president gets reelected and the covid 19 dies down things will feel different.I think 2020s culture will be fully felt in the summer if 2021!
That, but if not that then either after the election or by 2023. Maybe 2021 but I'm not sure.

Written By: wixness on 07/24/20 at 8:31 am

BLM has been taken more seriously which is a plus but I will concede it was only because 2010s politics has done its job. TBF I didn't grow up in a pandemic but I'm not sure if I could consider the pandemic as culture - the Spanish flu took place for two years and maybe only defined the last two years of the 1910s - people fondly remember the 1920s for being an early decade of experimentation. I can't really see a new culture unless more things change beyond our way of life, like the sort of aesthetics we praise (barely changed from the 2010s for now). If the current pandemic lasts beyond two years then I think we can label the 2020s as being largely influenced by the pandemic.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/20 at 8:43 am

BLM has been taken more seriously which is a plus but I will concede it was only because 2010s politics has done its job. TBF I didn't grow up in a pandemic but I'm not sure if I could consider the pandemic as culture - the Spanish flu took place for two years and maybe only defined the last two years of the 1910s - people fondly remember the 1920s for being an early decade of experimentation. I can't really see a new culture unless more things change beyond our way of life, like the sort of aesthetics we praise (barely changed from the 2010s for now). If the current pandemic lasts beyond two years then I think we can label the 2020s as being largely influenced by the pandemic.

Trust me, it's a culture. The way people have reacted to this pandemic is different than any major pandemic (and they weren't called that previously, either) that came before. The politicization of it. The whole "wearing masks takes away all my freedoms" crowd, the whole polarization.  The added layer of social unrest. It's a perfect storm.  It's a culture with long ranging effects. Unfortunately, some people can't seem to see beyond music, tv shows and movies, fashion and technology as being "culture". 

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/24/20 at 9:58 am

We're already in 2020's culture. It just started literally the moment this decade began. The COVID19/pandemic is a more drastic change than what 9/11 did nearly 20 years ago. One only had an impact on one country, while the other has impacted the WHOLE world. 9/11 changed the world, but not as drastic or sudden as COVID at all.

You gotta look at the effect of what the COVID19/pandemic has done. It has effected MULTIPLE industries and businesses left & right, rather it's the workforce, college & professional sports, stores, restaurants, concerts & events being cancelled, schools or colleges with plans to go hybrid or full virtual now, and so forth.

This is already 2020's culture, and there's nothing else to be said. COVID has impacted EVERYTHING you can think of that's a big part of our lives. The moment you thought the pandemic was going away, nope, we open back up a little bit and numbers are skyrocketing back up.

This isn't going away anytime soon no matter how much we want to deny it. Even when a true vaccine finally comes out (which won't be til later in 2021 at the earliest or maybe even early 2022), the world will never go back to how it 100% was pre-COVID world, because of the after effects of COVID that are happening in front of our eyes right now.

We're not fully in 2020's culture though, that's the thing. Literally if you take out the pandemic then 2020 would be culturally the exact same as 2019. Everything else (music, TV shows, technology, fashion) are still exactly the same as they were in 2018-2019.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/20 at 10:33 am

We're not fully in 2020's culture though, that's the thing. Literally if you take out the pandemic then 2020 would be culturally the exact same as 2019. Everything else (music, TV shows, technology, fashion) are still exactly the same as they were in 2018-2019.

THAT'S JUST THE POINT!! You CAN'T "literally" just "take out the pandemic". If we could "take out the pandemic" we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. The pandemic IS the culture. That's like saying "if we could literally take out the Vietnam War the 60s would be just like the 50s". I mean, really! And besides, TV shows and technology are not the same as they were pre-pandemic. Far, far more people are working from home, using Zoom, etc. And many artists, musicians and such are communicating through he stripped down medium of Zoom and the like. Just because it already "existed" doesn't mean it's being USED in the same way it was before. But it's really a minor byproduct of the pandemic itself, which I repeat again, IS the culture.  Forget waiting for some minor change in music, mumble,trap ,uptemo, downtempo,this, that...etc,etc. That's not culture in and of themselves, those are trends. There's a difference.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/24/20 at 10:44 am

THAT'S JUST THE POINT!! You CAN'T "literally" just "take out the pandemic". If we could "take out the pandemic" we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. The pandemic IS the culture. That's like saying "if we could literally take out the Vietnam War the 60s would be just like the 50s". I mean, really! And besides, TV shows and technology are not the same as they were pre-pandemic. Far, far more people are working from home, using Zoom, etc. And many artists, musicians and such are communicating through he stripped down medium of Zoom and the like. Just because it already "existed" doesn't mean it's being USED in the same way it was before. But it's really a minor byproduct of the pandemic itself, which I repeat again, IS the culture.  Forget waiting for some minor change in music, mumble,trap ,uptemo, downtempo,this, that...etc,etc. That's not culture in and of themselves, those are trends. There's a difference.

Unless the pandemic is going to last for another 9 years, then I don't see how this pandemic is 2020s culture. Pop culture really hasn't changed a lot. And all the songs about police brutality still sound exactly like hip-hop of the late 2010's. Maybe 2020 is a transition year but we're not fully in 2020's culture yet. Cultural shifts aren't just sudden like you claim it is. That's not how it works lol.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/24/20 at 10:49 am

They aren’t normally sudden unless a catastrophic event comes along like a war or a depression...or a pandemic. And it’s not going to be just a 2020 thing; experts are saying this lasts until at least 2022, and that’s not accounting for the ripple effects to our service industry, the economic depression, and how social distancing may linger even after the disease gets under control, if we ever really get it under control.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/20 at 10:59 am

Unless the pandemic is going to last for another 9 years, then I don't see how this pandemic is 2020s culture. Pop culture really hasn't changed a lot. And all the songs about police brutality still sound exactly like hip-hop of the late 2010's. Maybe 2020 is a transition year but we're not fully in 2020's culture yet. Cultural shifts aren't just sudden like you claim it is. That's not how it works lol.

"How it works"? Are you sure you understand what culture is? You're starting to sound like some of those people around here who think there are specific, exact and measurable cycles or patterns. And cultural shifts can most certainly be sudden, given extreme circumstances. And I would definitely say we are in extreme circumstances. Not to mention that everything is so sped up these days ANYWAY, due to social media. If you're waiting for some minor, meaningless change in a music trend so it doesn't sound like "the 2010s" then you're missing the shift. That's not culture, that's wallpaper. Rise above that and look at the bigger picture.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/24/20 at 11:01 am

"How it works"? Are you sure you understand what culture is? You're starting to sound like some of those people around here who think there are specific, exact and measurable cycles or patterns. And cultural shifts can most certainly be sudden, given extreme circumstances. And I would definitely say we are in extreme circumstances. Not to mention that everything is so sped up these days ANYWAY, due to social media. If you're waiting for some minor, meaningless change in a music trends so it doesn't sound like "the 2010s" then you're missing the shift. That's not culture, that's wallpaper. Rise above that and look at the bigger picture.

Yeah I know what culture is and it's not just politics lol. That's why 2020 isn't a full-on 2020's cultural year. 2020 is a transitional year. There's still way too many late 2010's influences left for us to say we're in 2020's culture. I don't think we can say we're safely in 2020's culture until late 2021 at the earliest.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/20 at 11:14 am

Yeah I know what culture is and it's not just politics lol. That's why 2020 isn't a full-on 2020's cultural year. 2020 is a transitional year. There's still way too many late 2010's influences left for us to say we're in 2020's culture. I don't think we can say we're safely in 2020's culture until late 2021 at the earliest.

I would have to say under normal circumstances I would almost agree with you. But these are not normal circumstance and the effects will be felt for a long time. When this era is looked back at from a distance, not a single person is going to mention the music or any TV show or style of show as defining the culture.  Whereas in some other eras it is the defining aspect. Some aspects of the culture rise to the top. Or, in some rare circumstances, like the unique and brilliant 1960s when it was all completely intertwined. In the 60s and 70s music drove the culture. Not now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/24/20 at 11:46 am

This pandemic got a lot of y'all thinking the late 2010s are a completely different era. There's just not many huge differences between 2019 and 2020. Music from 2020 is pretty much identical to music of 2019. And yeah people do remember music pretty well. COVID hasn't really caused a huge shift in music, fashion, nor technology. Black Lives Matter is older than today's Kindergarteners. It's been around for a long time lol. It's naive to think we all just woke up one day and completely entered 2020's culture. That's not how things realistically work. At best, 2020 is a transitional year out of the late 2010's, but pop culture is still leaning late 2010's right now. I don't get what's so confusing about what I said. 2018 still has wayyy more in common culturally with now than 2016 without a question.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/24/20 at 2:31 pm

No, I agree. What new tempos or vocal styles are being used in the songs is so ridiculously superficial. I don’t know if you’re familiar with the expression “missing the forest for the trees,” but this is the epitome of that. Culture is all things: the way a certain group of people carry out their lives at a given place in a given time, the way we intellectualize that way of life, and the artistic expressions we make to comment on or perpetuate that way of life.

The music is the window dressing; what matters is the holistic picture of how people relate to each other, the way they work or eat, what they’re spending their money on, and how we think about the situation we’re in. That’s not “just politics” - now that is a stupid hot take.

And by the way, all of this is ignoring that the artistic and media reaction to COVID-19, like the Great Depression, is inevitably going to have a lag time anyway. Let the event happen, THEN see if the arts around you are changing. Art and entertainment is often reactive, and you’ll see that our way of life is decidedly “2020s” and the arts will soon follow suit.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/24/20 at 4:00 pm

This pandemic got a lot of y'all thinking the late 2010s are a completely different era. There's just not many huge differences between 2019 and 2020. Music from 2020 is pretty much identical to music of 2019. And yeah people do remember music pretty well. COVID hasn't really caused a huge shift in music, fashion, nor technology. Black Lives Matter is older than today's Kindergarteners. It's been around for a long time lol. It's naive to think we all just woke up one day and completely entered 2020's culture. That's not how things realistically work. At best, 2020 is a transitional year out of the late 2010's, but pop culture is still leaning late 2010's right now. I don't get what's so confusing about what I said. 2018 still has wayyy more in common culturally with now than 2016 without a question.

The pandemic has me thinking the 2010's is the same as the 1980's, back when life was normal, you can travel places and watch movies at the cinema. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's just like how 9/11 is what separated the 2000's from the 1990's.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/20 at 4:09 pm

The pandemic has me thinking the 2010's is the same as the 1980's, back when life was normal, you can travel places and watch movies at the cinema. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's just like how 9/11 is what separated the 2000's from the 1990's.

I know what you mean, and I don't mean to nitpick or get into semantics but the 2010s were not the same as the 80s. But I get what you're saying that there is now a "pre-pandemic" and "post-pandemic" culture.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/24/20 at 5:01 pm

2020s culture has no identity yet though. The identity of the late 2010s is clear but 2020s culture still hasn't fully developed yet. 2020 still leans heavily late 2010s culturally.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/20 at 5:53 pm

2020s culture has no identity yet though. The identity of the late 2010s is clear but 2020s culture still hasn't fully developed yet. 2020 still leans heavily late 2010s culturally.

Are we on the same planet? NO IDENTITY? They are going to write about the identity of 2020 in history books. Did you wear a mask in the 2010s? Did you social distance? Were schools open? Wasn't the economy a billion times better than it is now?? Were people able to have funerals? If all you're going on is some irrelevant, shallow trend in music or TV that just won't cut it. Not in the least.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/24/20 at 7:48 pm

I think Avengers: Endgame and Game Of Thrones ending last year was a big shift in TV & movies. There's a lot more shows that ended last year as well. The timing of that is weird tho. Thankfully all of these TV seasons & movies happened before this year arrived.

When it comes to everything else, you're not wrong, but here's the thing. The pandemic did happen, and that matters the most with the effect it's had on the way we live. It's a universal drastic change. It can be leisure entertainment, the workforce, businesses, sports, con events, etc. all of it is affected because of this pandemic. That matters most. The drastic change is too drastic for it to not be an immediate cultural shift. That overrides everything else. There's still a lot of after effects of this pandemic that's left unknown, but we will find out within the next couple years.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/24/20 at 9:35 pm

Chopping up cultural time in units of decades, then expecting ten year periods to have some internal consistency, may be unnatural. Most distinct cultural phases are probably much shorter than ten years. The "60s" are pretty much the latter 1960s and early 70s, and 1967-1973 is more internally cohesive than 1960-1969. Same with 1987-1992 compared to 1990-1999.

Okay, 2020 might not have introduced the defining features of the period 2020-2029 (or maybe we'll feel like we're distinctly living in the after-effects of all this for the whole decade), but 2020 is definitely a noticeably different period from 2019 and earlier on the whole.

Decades are just shorthand ways to talk about what are relatively small periods of time on human timescales, but it's artifice to think that cultural periods have to fit into ten year blocks.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/24/20 at 10:12 pm

I know what you mean, and I don't mean to nitpick or get into semantics but the 2010s were not the same as the 80s. But I get what you're saying that there is now a "pre-pandemic" and "post-pandemic" culture.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that they were exactly the same, just the fact that they were both "pre-pandemic".

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/24/20 at 11:25 pm

We will never be happy again.

Written By: 1997days on 07/25/20 at 1:05 am

Your right rainbowz, people are really acting like a pandemic really has all to do with pop culture and unless its the end of the world or something how would a pandemic fully mean were in a new culture NO FREAKING WAY!And by the way music,fashion,tech,films,and tv are culture so who ever said its just a small part is kinda OUT OF THEIR MIND, because those things i just said make up a decade not a pandemic.

Written By: 1997days on 07/25/20 at 1:19 am

films,fashion,tv,and tech make up a decade not a pandemic your not gonna have news papers saying the 2020s culture is a pandemic!Were talking about pop culture not a damn disease thats probably exaggerated a litle is not POP CULTURE.Now what comes from covid will be culture like how the music will reflect on covid,but covid itself isnt pop culture! ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/25/20 at 8:03 am

films,fashion,tv,and tech make up a decade not a pandemic your not gonna have news papers saying the 2020s culture is a pandemic!Were talking about pop culture not a damn disease thats probably exaggerated a litle is not POP CULTURE.Now what comes from covid will be culture like how the music will reflect on covid,but covid itself isnt pop culture! ;D

But the pandemic influences pop culture including music, movies, TV, tech, and even fashion. Look at all the commercials about people in quarantine, and songs like "Stuck With U" by Ariana Grande, and Zoom (the tech). The fashion is more relaxed and casual since people don't have a reason to dress up anymore, but then again athleisure has been around for more than 5 years so that's just becoming more in. As for movies, there really aren't any now that most of the blockbusters have been delayed to 2021.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/20 at 12:06 pm

It doesn't feel like 2020s culture right now?  ??? I don't know about you but the 2010s felt very removed from me starting in March of this year...

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/20 at 12:09 pm

The pandemic has influenced pop culture and changed the way everything works... It is a huge deal and it most definitely kick-started the 2020s and changed the culture. It's probably the biggest change you will ever see this decade unless something even crazier comes.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/20 at 3:23 pm

The pandemic has influenced pop culture and changed the way everything works... It is a huge deal and it most definitely kick-started the 2020s and changed the culture. It's probably the biggest change you will ever see this decade unless something even crazier comes.

So the culture is the pandemic and nothing else?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/20 at 4:16 pm

So the culture is the pandemic and nothing else?  ???

It's the pandemic, the effects of it in the world, as well as everything else that's popular during the pandemic.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/20 at 3:06 am

Honestly people are really underestimating the change. Something from early 2019 to me feels like a couple years ago. The change that happened was huge and will have long-lasting impacts throughout the entire decade. And we haven't even completed the transition yet but the 2010s still almost feel like a different world. I have a feeling people are gonna look back at 2019 being the last "simpler" time. The 2010s are gonna be like the new '90s and really missed (not by me though haha) but by most people because it will be seen as simpler times and older days, 2019 will be the last year that has that old, simpler-time feel as we carry along this decade. 2019 will be like the new 1999 and be seen as clearly a different time. I just hope this doesn't put a damper on the 2000s nostalgia that's supposed to explode this decade.  :P People will remember 2019 as the last year where they had public gatherings without the use of masks or any measures in place. I never expected it to be like that but that's how it turned out. Right at the turn of decade too, right on time.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/26/20 at 12:01 pm

I'm actually quite ambivalent on this debate. On one hand, I understand that current fashion, technology, and musical trends are the same as 2018-2019, but on the other, the COVID-19 pandemic radically changed our lives with potentially long-lasting social, economic, and political repercussions. Pop culture obviously adapted to this with stay-at-home concerts, album releases being pushed early, and songs about the pandemic.

And if the pandemic dies down in 2021 or 2022, we will be in a different world with face masks and social distancing probably becoming commonplace whenever need be.

So, all in all, I do think we're in a different cultural era, but with the tech, fashion (besides creative masks), and musical trends still being the same as the late 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/20 at 12:22 pm

I'm actually quite ambivalent on this debate. On one hand, I understand that current fashion, technology, and musical trends are the same as 2018-2019, but on the other, the COVID-19 pandemic radically changed our lives with potentially long-lasting social, economic, and political repercussions. Pop culture obviously adapted to this with stay-at-home concerts, album releases being pushed early, and songs about the pandemic.

And if the pandemic dies down in 2021 or 2022, we will be in a different world with face masks and social distancing probably becoming commonplace whenever need be.

So, all in all, I do think we're in a different cultural era, but with the tech, fashion (besides creative masks), and musical trends still being the same as the late 2010s.

How though? How are the musical trends the same? How is technology the same? You did not have foldable phones available to the public for under 2000 bucks in the late 2010s. You did not have the '80s revival in music in the late 2010s. What we are experiencing now is a new culture with late 2010s holdovers as we are still transitioning. But it is still a new culture nevertheless. Music is changing, tech is changing, the world is changing, and a big part of all of it is because of the pandemic. Trap isn't dead but anyone following the charts can see it has been slowly dying for a while now.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/26/20 at 1:33 pm

How though? How are the musical trends the same? How is technology the same? You did not have foldable phones available to the public for under 2000 bucks in the late 2010s. You did not have the '80s revival in music in the late 2010s. What we are experiencing now is a new culture with late 2010s holdovers as we are still transitioning. But it is still a new culture nevertheless. Music is changing, tech is changing, the world is changing, and a big part of all of it is because of the pandemic. Trap isn't dead but anyone following the charts can see it has been slowly dying for a while now.

Um, foldable phones aren't as widely used as bezelless/slab smartphones still are, and I'm not sure if the 80s revival house/synth pop will be dominant in the coming future, since trap is still the most popular genre of music on the charts.

But I do agree with you on us being in a cultural transition. We're not fully 100% 2020s yet imo, but we are getting there.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/20 at 1:40 pm

Um, foldable phones aren't as widely used as bezelless/slab smartphones still are, and I'm not sure if the 80s revival house/synth pop will be dominant in the coming future, since trap is still the most popular genre of music on the charts.

But I do agree with you on us being in a cultural transition. We're not fully 100% 2020s yet imo, but we are getting there.

I agree aspects of culture are still transitioning but I would say we are in the 2020s because of the pandemic alone. That alone is enough to show we're in a new era. Everything changed because of it. The way of life we have now is the new norm for years to come this decade.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/26/20 at 6:25 pm

My main problem with a lot of people talking about the coronavirus in regards to pop culture is overestimating how different 2018-2019 was just because it was pre-pandemic. It's not "another world" from now. 2019 and 2020 are obviously not the same, and I'm not arguing that the pandemic hasn't influenced pop culture at all. But in no absolutely way do the late 2010's feel like another world. 2020 still shares more similarities than differences to 2018-2019 when it comes to pop culture. The music style and fashion are still the same. When it comes to music and fashion, 2020 is heavily late 2010's. Now when it comes to the economy? Then yeah the late 2010's are pretty much over.

Written By: 1997days on 07/27/20 at 12:33 am

My main problem with a lot of people talking about the coronavirus in regards to pop culture is overestimating how different 2018-2019 was just because it was pre-pandemic. It's not "another world" from now. 2019 and 2020 are obviously not the same, and I'm not arguing that the pandemic hasn't influenced pop culture at all. But in no absolutely way do the late 2010's feel like another world. 2020 still shares more similarities than differences to 2018-2019 when it comes to pop culture. The music style and fashion are still the same. When it comes to music and fashion, 2020 is heavily late 2010's. Now when it comes to the economy? Then yeah the late 2010's are pretty much over.
i agree

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/27/20 at 7:14 am

If you're expecting a pop culture that is completely transformed and unrecognizable from the 2010s, you're a few years too early anyway, pandemic or not. Emo was dying but still present until 2013; hipsters started as early as 2007, but we tend to think of them as inseparable from 2010s pop culture. I think the pandemic is definitely accelerating a lot of changes that wouldn't be seen in society, politics, and pop culture for a few years yet, but just like even 1970 had mid-'60s style rhythm & blues crooners, the scale of pop culture replacement you seem to be describing is a few years off from the start of any decade.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 2:54 pm

It's the pandemic, the effects of it in the world, as well as everything else that's popular during the pandemic.

There has to be more of this culture besides this pandemic?

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 2:55 pm

I agree aspects of culture are still transitioning but I would say we are in the 2020s because of the pandemic alone. That alone is enough to show we're in a new era. Everything changed because of it. The way of life we have now is the new norm for years to come this decade.

Because of the pandemic, we now Zoom.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/28/20 at 2:07 am

True. The musical styles are 90% the same as 2019, aside from Covid-19 influenced songs like Stuck with You, and concerts being cancelled. Fashion is 90% the same, with addition of face masks, TV is 100% the same, everything is the same. We are still in the late 2010s, just stuck at home. If the vaccine happened, pop culture would likely remain the same as well, its not like *poof* vaccine, all late 2010s influences are gone, it doesn't make sense.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/20 at 8:08 am

True. The musical styles are 90% the same as 2019, aside from Covid-19 influenced songs like Stuck with You, and concerts being cancelled. Fashion is 90% the same, with addition of face masks, TV is 100% the same, everything is the same. We are still in the late 2010s, just stuck at home. If the vaccine happened, pop culture would likely remain the same as well, its not like *poof* vaccine, all late 2010s influences are gone, it doesn't make sense.

We are not in the 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/28/20 at 9:20 am

We are not in the 2010s.

I think Wall Street Crash of 1929, or the Great Depression, being the immediate switch & start of 1930's culture, is a perfect comparison to the COVID-19 pandemic being the immediate switch & start of 2020's culture right now. This doesn't happen often in decades, but this is ONE of the few times in history where a major catastrophic world changing event like this can immediately change the culture and the way we live. I'm pretty sure the fashion or music of late 1929 or 1930 was no different than 1928 or a bit earlier, but even with that, the Great Depression was still too drastic for it to still be 1920's culture by the end of the decade into the 1930's. No different than the COVID-19 pandemic right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/20 at 9:27 am

I think Wall Street Crash of 1929, or the Great Depression, being the immediate switch & start of 1930's culture, is a perfect comparison to the COVID-19 pandemic being the immediate switch & start of 2020's culture right now. This doesn't happen often in decades, but this is ONE of the few times in history where a major catastrophic world changing event like this can immediately change the culture and the way we live. I'm pretty sure the fashion or music of late 1929 or 1930 was no different than 1928 or a bit earlier, but even with that, the Great Depression was still too drastic for it to still be 1920's culture by the end of the decade into the 1930's. No different than the COVID-19 pandemic right now.

Yeah I agree

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/28/20 at 9:39 am

Yes, correct. And even if some of the shallower aspects of culture have not specifically "changed", and/or some of the technology, the way we react to them or perceive them or use them definitely has. There's a bigger picture here that some of the "the music is the same as 2019" crowd don't see because of their narrow and limited focus.

Written By: karen on 07/28/20 at 12:05 pm

Didn’t television programmes change in other countries because of the pandemic? In the U.K. there are several programmes that came off the air as they could not be made when we went into lockdown. These included the news magazine programmes broadcast daily and the soap operas. Several other planned programmes have been postponed.

David Tennant and Michael Sheen have made a show that wouldn’t have been made without the current situation. The premise is that they should have been together rehearsing for a show but instead decided to try and rehearse over Zoom or Skype (or similar tech)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 12:07 pm

Didn’t television programmes change in other countries because of the pandemic? In the U.K. there are several programmes that came off the air as they could not be made when we went into lockdown. These included the news magazine programmes broadcast daily and the soap operas. Several other planned programmes have been postponed.

David Tennant and Michael Sheen have made a show that wouldn’t have been made without the current situation. The premise is that they should have been together rehearsing for a show but instead decided to try and rehearse over Zoom or Skype (or similar tech)
...and BBC medical drama Holby City has resumed filming for the first time in four months, with a special episode that sees the hospital gripped by the coronavirus pandemic. In a statement, the BBC said the drama will be back on screens later this year with slightly shorter 40-minute episodes. It added that, throughout the production, the Holby City team would practice social distancing and have other protocols in place to ensure workplace safety.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/20 at 2:10 pm

We are not in the 2010s.

We are in the 2020's.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/28/20 at 5:17 pm

Yes, correct. And even if some of the shallower aspects of culture have not specifically "changed", and/or some of the technology, the way we react to them or perceive them or use them definitely has. There's a bigger picture here that some of the "the music is the same as 2019" crowd don't see because of their narrow and limited focus.

Yeah you guys have nailed it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/29/20 at 9:02 pm

Or 9/11, which ended the Y2K culture and started the early 2000's culture.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/31/20 at 2:04 pm

Well, I respect everyone's opinions here, but its also important to highlight that lots of the pop culture from 2019 are still intact in 2020. Billie Eilish, Dababy, Drake, almost every musician last year are still as popular as today. With that said, there are events that influenced music like the coronavirus, stuck with you by Ari and JB. The BLM protests, Rockstar by Roddy Ricch and Dababy. I will agree that the coronavirus changed the way we live but if you put that aside, pop culture will be 95% the same as last year. TV shows are the same as well, while there are Covid-19 influenced TV shows, Netflix and Disney+ are still popular, and gained even more attention thanks to the pandemic.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/31/20 at 2:06 pm

Let's put it this way, coronavirus is what makes everyones personal lives part of the Early 2020s. But pop culture is still 95% late 2010s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/01/20 at 8:26 am

Well, I respect everyone's opinions here, but its also important to highlight that lots of the pop culture from 2019 are still intact in 2020. Billie Eilish, Dababy, Drake, almost every musician last year are still as popular as today. With that said, there are events that influenced music like the coronavirus, stuck with you by Ari and JB. The BLM protests, Rockstar by Roddy Ricch and Dababy. I will agree that the coronavirus changed the way we live but if you put that aside, pop culture will be 95% the same as last year. TV shows are the same as well, while there are Covid-19 influenced TV shows, Netflix and Disney+ are still popular, and gained even more attention thanks to the pandemic.

I see your point. Roddy Rich is big this year, and I notice Juice WRLD is all over the charts. Majority of music is still dominated by trap even though there is a lot of retro 80's styles mixed in. I think a lot of people mix pop-culture with culture in general (our everyday lives, news events, political climate, etc.). Music is just something in the background. However, changes in our lives can change the way we perceive pop culture especially music, like with memory association. And with movies, they are pretty much non-existent at this point. For TV, there was Tiger King but that's like any other screaming series that was viral on social media.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/01/20 at 12:40 pm

We are in the 2020s now.. There's no debating it. 50 years from now someone is not gonna look at the Billboard Top 40 to see if we entered into a new decade... Just as we don't do that now. They will look at how the world changed. This wasn't a little change it was a huge change.

Written By: Sman12 on 08/01/20 at 4:32 pm

I see your point. Roddy Rich is big this year, and I notice Juice WRLD is all over the charts. Majority of music is still dominated by trap even though there is a lot of retro 80's styles mixed in. I think a lot of people mix pop-culture with culture in general (our everyday lives, news events, political climate, etc.). Music is just something in the background. However, changes in our lives can change the way we perceive pop culture especially music, like with memory association. And with movies, they are pretty much non-existent at this point. For TV, there was Tiger King but that's like any other screaming series that was viral on social media.

I see what you're getting at. This year will definitely go down as one of the most impactful years in human history with how everything's been going crazy now. I still tend to think that next year (or at the latest, 2022) will be a cultural result of what took place in 2020 (like coronavirus cases finally decreasing worldwide, a new president, and other societal changes).

Written By: Slim95 on 08/01/20 at 4:45 pm

I see what you're getting at. This year will definitely go down as one of the most impactful years in human history with how everything's been going crazy now. I still tend to think that next year (or at the latest, 2022) will be a cultural result of what took place in 2020 (like coronavirus cases finally decreasing worldwide, a new president, and other societal changes).

This entire decade will be impacted by Covid-19. There's no way the economy is going back to normal after all of the shutdowns. Economic repercussions from the shutdowns and measures will be huge even if the virus goes away, and I doubt the virus will go away anytime soon as well.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/20 at 8:05 am

This entire decade will be impacted by Covid-19. There's no way the economy is going back to normal after all of the shutdowns. Economic repercussions from the shutdowns and measures will be huge even if the virus goes away, and I doubt the virus will go away anytime soon as well.

Someone said it could come back in a second wave.

Written By: karen on 08/02/20 at 8:31 am

Someone said it could come back in a second wave.

I would argue that the first wave hasn’t gone away yet

Written By: Sman12 on 08/02/20 at 8:59 am

I would argue that the first wave hasn’t gone away yet

I agree with you. The US only hit a plateau by late May and early June, but after that, the cases just immediately spiked once again.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/20 at 1:53 pm

I agree with you. The US only hit a plateau by late May and early June, but after that, the cases just immediately spiked once again.

I wouldn't mind wearing a mask in the winter, sure keeps your face warm.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/02/20 at 4:51 pm

In the US the first and second waves are running together, so they really can't separate or distinct from each other, while unfortunately in Europe, Asia, and Australia, looks like they are clearly experiencing a second wave after it seemed they had it under control months ago. Meanwhile I remember in May it seemed like things were returning to normal and Coronavirus was about to be old news. In the back of my mind I was concerned about a second wave and another shutdown. I'm sure the protests, and celebrating Memorial Day weekend, 4th of July, and summer in general didn't help.

Written By: Sman12 on 08/04/20 at 8:34 pm

I also think that the 2020-2021 school year will be the most disruptive school year in modern world history, because parents are having difficulty on providing their children with education while being safe. My brothers' school district is doing a hybrid model: two groups of students are split up with one group doing work at home and the other working in school with social distancing. Other school districts in my area are either going all-virtual or hybrid.

This will probably change schooling forever.  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 08/04/20 at 9:35 pm

I also think that the 2020-2021 school year will be the most disruptive school year in modern world history, because parents are having difficulty on providing their children with education while being safe. My brothers' school district is doing a hybrid model: two groups of students are split up with one group doing work at home and thr other working in school with social distancing. Other school districts in my area are either going all-virtual or hybrid.

This will probably change schooling forever.  :o

Yes it's ridiculous.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/04/20 at 9:42 pm

We are in the 2020s now.. There's no debating it. 50 years from now someone is not gonna look at the Billboard Top 40 to see if we entered into a new decade... Just as we don't do that now. They will look at how the world changed. This wasn't a little change it was a huge change.

Yeah I agree. People look at the big picture here, not the finer details. Most people are adamant that the 50s ended in 1963 with JFK's assassination, for instance, even though some may argue that some "50s-ish" stuff was still popular in 1964 (black and white TVs, hippies not yet a big thing, even the Beatles were still "innocent" at that time and playing 50s-esque rock n roll). But for most people, big historical events take precedence over music, movies, and TV shows.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/04/20 at 10:00 pm

Yeah I agree. People look at the big picture here, not the finer details. Most people are adamant that the 50s ended in 1963 with JFK's assassination, for instance, even though some may argue that some "50s-ish" stuff was still popular in 1964 (black and white TVs, hippies not yet a big thing, even the Beatles were still "innocent" at that time and playing 50s-esque rock n roll). But for most people, big historical events take precedence over music, movies, and TV shows.

Also 9/11 ended the Y2K culture and started the early 2000's, even though on here people have debated that the Y2K music sounds, asthetics, and styles hung around until 2002 or even 2003 and later.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/06/20 at 12:08 am

Also 9/11 ended the Y2K culture and started the early 2000's, even though on here people have debated that the Y2K music sounds, asthetics, and styles hung around until 2002 or even 2003 and later.

I do think Y2K aesthetics lasted up till 2003-2004, but most people are convinced they ended on 9/11 because it was such a huge seismic event. Big pictures, not small details, is what people focus on.

If trap music has waned in a few years, I bet in the future, people are probably gonna think trap music died in 2020 because of COVID-19 (even though trap is still popular now). You might even hear people in the future say "Coronavirus ended superhero movies", even if superhero movies are still released in 2021-2023.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/06/20 at 4:01 pm

I do think Y2K aesthetics lasted up till 2003-2004, but most people are convinced they ended on 9/11 because it was such a huge seismic event. Big pictures, not small details, is what people focus on.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the same camp as you. I know this is kinda derailing the thread, but this is my hill to die on, dammit!

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/16/20 at 12:58 pm

If trap music has waned in a few years, I bet in the future, people are probably gonna think trap music died in 2020 because of COVID-19 (even though trap is still popular now). You might even hear people in the future say "Coronavirus ended superhero movies", even if superhero movies are still released in 2021-2023.

Even before 9/11, the culture was already starting to change, in my opinion anyways. The boy band/teen pop era of the late 90's had faded. COVID-19 really disrupted order in the universe. 2020 was supposed to be a good year, like a repeat of 2004 and 1988. I can see if this were to happen in 2022 or even 2021. I think if it weren't for the pandemic, 2021 would have been the year of cultural change with trap music fading out of existence and (possibly) a new president.

I just can't get over the fact that that everything coincidentally changed literally at the beginning of the decade. Well, maybe the third month but pretty much. 9/11 was a year and 9 months into the new Millennium. The stock market crashed in 1929 (September). The Great Recession started in 2008 but there wasn't as big of a shift between the 00's and 10's, and also not so much from the 1980's to 90's as there weren't big seismic events around the turns of those decades.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/17/20 at 3:53 pm

Even before 9/11, the culture was already starting to change, in my opinion anyways. The boy band/teen pop era of the late 90's had faded. COVID-19 really disrupted order in the universe. 2020 was supposed to be a good year, like a repeat of 2004 and 1988. I can see if this were to happen in 2022 or even 2021. I think if it weren't for the pandemic, 2021 would have been the year of cultural change with trap music fading out of existence and (possibly) a new president.

I just can't get over the fact that that everything coincidentally changed literally at the beginning of the decade. Well, maybe the third month but pretty much. 9/11 was a year and 9 months into the new Millennium. The stock market crashed in 1929 (September). The Great Recession started in 2008 but there wasn't as big of a shift between the 00's and 10's, and also not so much from the 1980's to 90's as there weren't big seismic events around the turns of those decades.
Well I wouldn't say 9/11 completely 180'd pop culture at the time. Teen pop was dead months before that, Shrek became a huge hit, Punk rock became popular, and much more. Just like coronavirus, people are exaggerating how much it "180d" everything even though pop culture is still 95% the same as 2019...

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 12:44 am

History never repeats, or follow the rules, exactly! The 1960's didn't really begin until 1964, according to most people on this forum.
I'm just going to guess and say 2021, once the worst of the Corona has passed us all by.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/20 at 7:22 am

History never repeats, or follow the rules, exactly! The 1960's didn't really begin until 1964, according to most people on this forum.
I'm just going to guess and say 2021, once the worst of the Corona has passed us all by.

I think this pandemic is a part of the pop culture.

Written By: Sman12 on 08/18/20 at 1:33 pm

I know. It's actually insane to me as well. Do you guys think that there are other decades in modern history that culturally started at the beginning year of the decade?

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/18/20 at 2:22 pm

I know. It's actually insane to me as well. Do you guys think that there are other decades in modern history that culturally started at the beginning year of the decade?

(Disclaimer: not trying to be decadeological here) Looking back, it seems like changes either happen in the "9" years (end of previous decade) or the "1" years (after the decade started).

The 2000's to 2010's: Late 2008 with the election of Obama and the Recession. 2009 was transitional as well pop-culture wise.

The 1990's to 2000's: 2001 with 9/11

The 1980's to 1990's: 1989 was the start of early 90's culture, but also 1991 with the beginning of grunge

The 1970's to 1980's: 1979 was said to be when disco died and new wave began, but 1981 was changeful as well with the Inauguration of Reagan

I'm not as familiar with the older decades other than 1929 starting the Great Depression.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/18/20 at 2:35 pm

The 1970's to 1980's: 1979 was said to be when disco died and new wave began, but 1981 was changeful as well with the Inauguration of Reagan

I like the way you put it so carefully, "1979 was said to be... ".  ;D Who "says" this?  Guaranteed they weren't there. They make it sound all so neat and tidy. One thing ended, another began. Well, I WAS there and it was a lot more messy than that. Disco didn't end in 1979 (Oh how I wish it had, or even earlier!) but it didn't make it much past 1981, and new wave was already around. There was a whole lot of overlap and disco and punk ran very concurrently from 1976 through the rest of the decade and new wave kind of branched out or rose out  from punk.  But yes, the cultural 80s began in 1981 for sure.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/18/20 at 2:38 pm

I just can't get over the fact that that everything coincidentally changed literally at the beginning of the decade. Well, maybe the third month but pretty much. 

It just happened to fall that way this time, like the throwing of dice. There's no saying it CAN'T happen that way, it's just  usually doesn't. This time it did. You'll have something to tell your grandchildren.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/18/20 at 3:14 pm

I think the 1980s pretty much but I may be wrong on that.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 7:10 pm

I don't think we're going to go into a depression, economically. If there is another stock market crash, I don't think it'll be until 2030! Again, just my two cents.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/18/20 at 10:15 pm

Well I wouldn't say 9/11 completely 180'd pop culture at the time. Teen pop was dead months before that, Shrek became a huge hit, Punk rock became popular, and much more. Just like coronavirus, people are exaggerating how much it "180d" everything even though pop culture is still 95% the same as 2019...

To me, 1998-2003 is the Y2K era and I'm sticking to that. For me it didn't end at 9/11 and it didn't end months before 9/11. It ended by 2003-2004, when the McBling era started with Paris Hilton and bedazzled flip phones.

Written By: CarCar on 08/21/20 at 5:21 pm

Honestly people are really underestimating the change. Something from early 2019 to me feels like a couple years ago. The change that happened was huge and will have long-lasting impacts throughout the entire decade. And we haven't even completed the transition yet but the 2010s still almost feel like a different world. I have a feeling people are gonna look back at 2019 being the last "simpler" time. The 2010s are gonna be like the new '90s and really missed (not by me though haha) but by most people because it will be seen as simpler times and older days, 2019 will be the last year that has that old, simpler-time feel as we carry along this decade. 2019 will be like the new 1999 and be seen as clearly a different time. I just hope this doesn't put a damper on the 2000s nostalgia that's supposed to explode this decade.  :P People will remember 2019 as the last year where they had public gatherings without the use of masks or any measures in place. I never expected it to be like that but that's how it turned out. Right at the turn of decade too, right on time.

I actually feel that the new 90s are the 2000s right about now. The 2010s are new 2000s, they’re viewed as this homogenous decade with a lot of updated technological enhancement on technology we already had with bad politics and riots that lead to the culture we have now. Most people in they’re 20s and late teens who are just becoming young adults have nostalgia towards the 2000s now and have the expertise to channel they’re creativity from it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/24/20 at 7:06 am

I'm hoping 2021 will be different and the start of a new era, especially if the vaccine comes out and the virus weakens. 2020 just needs to be isolated to it's own thing. The year itself is like a virus.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/24/20 at 9:17 am

I'm hoping 2021 will be different and the start of a new era, especially if the vaccine comes out and the virus weakens. 2020 just needs to be isolated to it's own thing. The year itself is like a virus.

It won't be another era as we're in the early 2020s right now. The effects of the virus will be felt for the rest of the decade. If a vaccine comes out, what about the economy? It would still be in turmoil. The greatest recession since the Great Depression. That's gonna take a while to recover from, and that's exactly what the 2020s will be about. That is of course if other crazy things don't happen and things get even worse. Besides the vaccine will take years not months to be produced and tasted to be deemed safe. We will see more social distancing within the next couple of months and maybe even a second wave. We have been firmly 2020s culture this year since the start of the pandemic.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/24/20 at 3:08 pm

It won't be another era as we're in the early 2020s right now. The effects of the virus will be felt for the rest of the decade. If a vaccine comes out, what about the economy? It would still be in turmoil. The greatest recession since the Great Depression. That's gonna take a while to recover from, and that's exactly what the 2020s will be about. That is of course if other crazy things don't happen and things get even worse. Besides the vaccine will take years not months to be produced and tasted to be deemed safe. We will see more social distancing within the next couple of months and maybe even a second wave. We have been firmly 2020s culture this year since the start of the pandemic.

Yeah, I'm afraid the aftermath is worse than the pandemic itself. We're already seeing it at least Stateside with the civil unrest and a spike in murders and shootings. A lot of people are seeing 2021 as the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm concerned things could get worse.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/20 at 7:25 am

All this bad news is making everyone tired and annoyed, there needs to be at least some good news in 2021.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/20 at 7:28 am

Yeah, I'm afraid the aftermath is worse than the pandemic itself. We're already seeing it at least Stateside with the civil unrest and a spike in murders and shootings. A lot of people are seeing 2021 as the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm concerned things could get worse.

The world needs to stop with all these shootings and stabbings, I feel society has become The Wild West.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/29/20 at 5:34 pm

I actually feel that the new 90s are the 2000s right about now. The 2010s are new 2000s, they’re viewed as this homogenous decade with a lot of updated technological enhancement on technology we already had with bad politics and riots that lead to the culture we have now. Most people in they’re 20s and late teens who are just becoming young adults have nostalgia towards the 2000s now and have the expertise to channel they’re creativity from it.

No. I think the 2000s and 2010s will be retroactively grouped into a macro-era with the 2000 election(and 9/11) marking the start of the era and the Pandemic ending it. like the '80s and '90s.

The 2000s=1980s will be the preppy, blonde, fun, kinda tacky, but politically/economically messy big sister to its younger moodier, Starbucks obsessed, social justice-oriented sibling of the 2010s=1990s.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/20 at 6:12 pm

No. I think the 2000s and 2010s will be retroactively grouped into a macro-era with the 2000 election(and 9/11) marking the start of the era and the Pandemic ending it. like the '80s and '90s.

The 2000s=1980s will be the preppy, blonde, fun, kinda tacky, but politically/economically messy big sister to its younger moodier, Starbucks obsessed, social justice-oriented sibling of the 2010s=1990s.

I think the pandemic in 2020 marked the start of a new macro era as well. Everything changed and it was so sudden too. I feel we are very disconnected from the 2010s right now even though it only ended recently. 

Written By: muppethammer26 on 08/29/20 at 7:09 pm

I do predict bulletproof windows and social distancing signs will remain until summer 2021, while schools will remain closed until at least January 2021. I think it’s still possible for the 2020 Olympics (which is already postponed to 2021) to be canceled, if the current pandemic continues at this level by summer 2021.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/20 at 7:16 pm

I do predict bulletproof windows and social distancing signs will remain until summer 2021, while schools will remain closed until at least January 2021. I think it’s still possible for the 2020 Olympics (which is already postponed to 2021) to be canceled, if the current pandemic continues at this level by summer 2021.

Kids are going back to school next week in Canada. They need to wear masks though.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/29/20 at 7:41 pm

I can see that, but I also see the 1980's - 2010's as one macro era, the good 'ol pre-Corona days and when America was actually a free country.

Written By: CarCar on 08/29/20 at 9:49 pm

Yeah probably later in the future when the 2010s turn 20, but as of right now people view it like the 2000s considering people like the early portion of the decade more then the late one right about now.

2000s: Hypersexual, Blonde, always dressed in Pink and appearing in rock/rap videos older sister

2010s: Moodier, Sad bitch who never leaves her room and makes weird music for her tumblr/SoundCloud followers who like drinking colorful drinks from Starbucks and taking corny quizzes on buzzfeed about which Disney princess she is.

2000: overly touchy decade

2020: least touchy decade, social distance. Missing the party life and energy of the 2000s

2000s: transition from the Y2K era to the Electro-POP era

2020: transition from the Mumble/Trap era to whatever the future holds with Coronavirus now

Written By: Yestalgic on 08/30/20 at 10:14 am

"When do you think 2020s culture will start to be felt?"

Maybe in May 2021 when the quarantine ends? I hope that pop music become fun again like 2012, not just pop music but also with the variety of genres like from 1965 up to Late 2000s to become popular again.

And 2020 2021 Tokyo Olympics is surely going to be fun and exciting as hell!!!

2020 still feels like the late 2010s for me, but it's extremely watered down it makes 2016 look like a very good year.

I miss going outside, and my friends. (Let's be patient and there's only maybe 3 months left before the vaccine arrives)

2020 is a waste of a year. Also, a waste of time as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/20 at 12:44 pm

"When do you think 2020s culture will start to be felt?"

Maybe in May 2021 when the quarantine ends? I hope that pop music become fun again like 2012, not just pop music but also with the variety of genres like from 1965 up to Late 2000s to become popular again.

And 2020 2021 Tokyo Olympics is surely going to be fun and exciting as hell!!!

2020 still feels like the late 2010s for me, but it's extremely watered down it makes 2016 look like a very good year.

I miss going outside, and my friends. (Let's be patient and there's only maybe 3 months left before the vaccine arrives)

2020 is a waste of a year. Also, a waste of time as well.

We are in 2020s culture right now. I think you'll be very disappointed come 2021 then. An economy doesn't just magically get better after a shutdown nor do the attitudes of people and the effects this virus had in the lines of mask wearing and social distancing. 2020 is the opposite of the 2010s... We're clearly in a new decade now and the effects of the pandemic will last the entire decade.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/30/20 at 1:04 pm

We are in 2020s culture right now. I think you'll be very disappointed come 2021 then. An economy doesn't just magically get better after a shutdown nor do the attitudes of people and the effects this virus had in the lines of mask wearing and social distancing. 2020 is the opposite of the 2010s... We're clearly in a new decade now and the effects of the pandemic will last the entire decade.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, mainly the people who are counting down the days and expect everything to suddenly be better on 1/1/21. I think realistically it will just be a continuation of 2020, if not worse.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/30/20 at 1:34 pm

You are correct, but there are actually some people who just don't get it. They are still going by some old paradigm of pop songs and TV shows and don't see that everything is different post-covid and post-George Floyd. They are still waiting for some magic bullet pop song to come along and suddenly indicate we are in a new era somehow or that "the culture of the new decade is finally here". It doesn't work that way. All that indicates is that there is a new pop song and a bunch of similar sounding ones to follow. Hardly era-defining these days.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/20 at 1:49 pm

So what will happen to classes?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/20 at 1:52 pm

You are correct, but there are actually some people who just don't get it. They are still going by some old paradigm of pop songs and TV shows and don't see that everything is different post-covid and post-George Floyd. They are still waiting for some magic bullet pop song to come along and suddenly indicate we are in a new era somehow or that "the culture of the new decade is finally here". It doesn't work that way. All that indicates is that there is a new pop song and a bunch of similar sounding ones to follow. Hardly era-defining these days.

Exactly

Written By: Howard on 08/30/20 at 1:52 pm

So that means just about everything is effed up?

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/30/20 at 1:55 pm

We’re transitioning into early 2020’s culture but it’s still leaning late 2010‘s. I don’t believe we’re fully in 2020’s culture right now.

Written By: CarCar on 08/30/20 at 4:28 pm

We’re transitioning into early 2020’s culture but it’s still leaning late 2010‘s. I don’t believe we’re fully in 2020’s culture right now.

Can’t tell for certain until we’re about 5 years into the 2020s. So far coronavirus has pretty much changed the landscape and mentality surrounding being to close to one another and feels like a 2020s thing rather then 2010s thing. Tik ToK feels like a 2020s thing ever since tik tok houses became a thing.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/30/20 at 5:03 pm

Can’t tell for certain until we’re about 5 years into the 2020s. So far coronavirus has pretty much changed the landscape and mentality surrounding being to close to one another and feels like a 2020s thing rather then 2010s thing. Tik ToK feels like a 2020s thing ever since tik tok houses became a thing.

I doubt we’re fully in 2020’s culture yet. A lot of people on this board don’t want to admit it, but culture doesn’t just “switch” and then bam we’re in 2020’s culture and the 2010’s are old news now. It’s a transition process. That’s what makes 2020 transitional. Some people on this board need to look up what transitional means.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/20 at 5:08 pm

I doubt we’re fully in 2020’s culture yet. A lot of people on this board don’t want to admit it, but culture doesn’t just “switch” and then bam we’re in 2020’s culture and the 2010’s are old news now. It’s a transition process. That’s what makes 2020 transitional. Some people on this board need to look up what transitional means.

And yet that's exactly what happened this year...  ::) Yes the pandemic did start 2020s culture. And if you want proof of that, just take a look outside and see what the world is like now. Compare that to not only last year, but even decades before. Nothing is the same as it was before, and it won't be the same for quite some time.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/30/20 at 5:10 pm

The difference between 9/11 and coronavirus is that the Y2K Era was already fading even before 9/11 happened. Late 2010's culture, on the other hand, showed no sign of slowing down pre-coronavirus. So IMO it's not a very good comparison. Even if people generally look at the bigger picture, it doesn't mean they're right. 2020 is not a full-on cultural 2020's year yet. We literally just left the 2010's. There's too many late 2010's leftovers for it to even lean 2020's.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/20 at 5:12 pm

The difference between 9/11 and coronavirus is that the Y2K Era was already fading even before 9/11 happened. Late 2010's culture, on the other hand, showed no sign of slowing down pre-coronavirus. So IMO it's not a very good comparison. Even if people generally look at the bigger picture, it doesn't mean they're right. 2020 is not a full-on cultural 2020's year yet. We literally just left the 2010's. There's too many late 2010's leftovers for it to even lean 2020's.

The coronavirus was a way, way more changeful event than 9/11 as it affected the entire world, first of all. Secondly, nobody will look at pop culture in the future to determine when a new era began just as we don't go to the 1910s and try to see which pop songs were popular. Everyone will be clear when the new era began, and that is from the event of Covid. In fact, the start of a new era (2020s) couldn't be any more clearer in the past than how clear it was in 2020. It is very clear how the 2010s departed and the new era of the 2020s began. And that is the global lockdown, the recession, the protests, etc. This start of a new era was more profound, more clear, and bigger than any other start of a new era in recent past.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/30/20 at 5:27 pm

Secondly, nobody will look at pop culture in the future to determine when a new era began

Um, yes they will lmao. And the truth is, 2020 has too many late 2010's influences for it to be a full-on cultural 2020's year. Do you not understand what TRANSITIONAL  means? The late 2010's are still very much modern and similar to today. It's just like how late 2008 was back in 2017, right? The general fashion, music and attitudes haven't changed much. ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/30/20 at 5:51 pm

Um, yes they will lmao. And the truth is, 2020 has too many late 2010's influences for it to be a full-on cultural 2020's year. Do you not understand what TRANSITIONAL  means? The late 2010's are still very much modern and similar to today. It's just like how late 2008 was back in 2017, right? The general fashion, music and attitudes haven't changed much. ::)

I'll tell you what's throwing you off. The fact that this massive cultural shift JUST HAPPENED to take place at the exact turn of a decade. It could have happened any time, but that's when it happened. You're still looking for "transitions" from one decade to the next. This steamrolled right over them. Flattened them to insignificance. I mean for heaven's sake, everything is ALWAYS in transition. Even when it looks like it's standing still. The chair you are sitting on isn't even solid, it;s made of billions upon billions of moving molecules. The things you think you are measuring are randomly assigned. You are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. As for "the general fashion, music and attitudes haven't changed much", YES the ATTITUDES have changed. Anybody with the same attitude they had pre-covid is a fool. As for music...back in the 60s music CLEARLY pointed to a change in the culture because music DROVE the culture back then. It has not done so in at least thirty five years now, so whether some music sounds the same as it did eight months ago has no bearing on the culture WHATSOEVER. Nobody is currently looking at music as a major driver of culture. It's a shame, because music and musical artists were once powerful enough to do that, but that's a topic for another discussion. Exactly WHAT are you waiting for? Isn't all this enough? If you are waiting for trap mumble tumble rap to change into  bumble crumble jack flack rap and synthpop, I'm sorry, but that simply doesn't cut it. Doesn't drive the culture one bit. 

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/20 at 5:53 pm

I'll tell you what's throwing you off. The fact that this massive cultural shift JUST HAPPENED to take place at the exact turn of a decade. It could have happened any time, but that's when it happened. You're still looking for "transitions" from one decade to the next. This steamrolled right over them. Flattened them to insignificance. I mean for heaven's sake, everything is ALWAYS in transition. Even when it looks like it's standing still. The chair you are sitting on isn't even solid, it;s made of billions upon billions of moving molecules. The things you think you are measuring are randomly assigned. You are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. As for "the general fashion, music and attitudes haven't changed much", YES the ATTITUDES have changed. Anybody with the same attitude they had pre-covid is a fool. As for music...back in the 60s music CLEARLY pointed to a change in the culture because music DROVE the culture back then. It has not done so in at least thirty five years now, so whether some music sounds the same as it did eight months ago has no bearing on the culture WHATSOEVER. Nobody is currently looking at music as a major driver of culture. It's a shame, because music and musical artists were once powerful enough to do that, but that's a topic for another discussion. Exactly WHAT are you waiting for? Isn't all this enough? If you are waiting for trap mumble tumble rap to change into  bumble crumble jack flack rap and synthpop, I'm sorry, but that simply doesn't cut it. Doesn't drive the culture one bit.

I agree

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/30/20 at 5:55 pm

The coronavirus was a way, way more changeful event than 9/11 as it affected the entire world, first of all. Secondly, nobody will look at pop culture in the future to determine when a new era began just as we don't go to the 1910s and try to see which pop songs were popular. Everyone will be clear when the new era began, and that is from the event of Covid. In fact, the start of a new era (2020s) couldn't be any more clearer in the past than how clear it was in 2020. It is very clear how the 2010s departed and the new era of the 2020s began. And that is the global lockdown, the recession, the protests, etc. This start of a new era was more profound, more clear, and bigger than any other start of a new era in recent past.

Correct! What is throwing of our intrepid chroniclers of social transitions is the fact that this happened CRACK at the beginning of a new decade. They're thinking "no, this can't be. This is too perfect. The old culture is still here dammit! We need to phase out of it transitionally, dammit! New culture can't start now, it's too soon!! We must transition!!".  The mistake is to think that history has a rationale.  ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/30/20 at 6:59 pm

You’re out here acting like one day we just woke up and suddenly it was 100% 2020’s culture because of a pandemic. You’re exaggerating the 2020’s culture of 2020. Sorry, but 2020 is still not 100% 2020’s. The truth is we’re in a transition phase right now and we likely won’t be fully in 2020’s culture until the pandemic ends (around 2021/22, which is usually around the same time a decade develops its identity). And yes, culture doesn’t just switch dramatically. Literally all the black lives matter protests and rioting  you’re seeing has been a thing since the mid-2010’s. It’s nothing new lmao. Not to mention we still have the 2020 Election left, and who knows if we’ll get a new president? To say 2020 has no connections to the late 2010’s is pure clownery. I’m sorry but quarantine has y’all thinking in very strange ways. Attitudes really haven’t changed much since the late 2010’s. As I said before, you still have Black Lives Matter, you still have very divided politics, you still have “SJWS vs. Anti-SJWS”, you still have cancel culture, you still have political correctness, all of which were still a thing in the late 2010’s, and that hasn’t gone away at all. Just because one thing may have changed, doesn’t mean it’s drastically different.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/30/20 at 7:14 pm

Anyways, I’m removing this thread from my notifications cause I don’t got time to argue with a bunch of weird ass millennials that don’t even know what 2010’s culture is on why 2020 is a transitional year and not a fully cultural 2020’s year. I can’t believe I’m arguing this topic with the same guy who said back in 2017 that culture hasn’t changed much since late 2008. I swear quarantine has messed y’all brains up lmao.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/30/20 at 9:00 pm

With even the Fisher Price toy company releasing a "work from home" toy playset for children, featuring a  laptop with four fabric "apps," a smartphone, headset, and coffee cup, I would say the 2020s culture is making itself felt loud and clear.  The playset is part of a collection designed for babies and preschoolers whose parents are spending more time at home due to the pandemic.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fisher-price-launches-work-from-home-play-set-2020-8

http://i.insider.com/5f32e6e4505f5371b25cb30b?width=700&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/20 at 9:13 pm

Anyways, I’m removing this thread from my notifications cause I don’t got time to argue with a bunch of weird ass millennials that don’t even know what 2010’s culture is on why 2020 is a transitional year and not a fully cultural 2020’s year. I can’t believe I’m arguing this topic with the same guy who said back in 2017 that culture hasn’t changed much since late 2008. I swear quarantine has messed y’all brains up lmao.

Well I was not trying to offend you personally I just think the changes are really clear. I didn't think we were arguing just discussing things and sorry if I overstepped.

So many things have changed because of the pandemic. Children either have to wear masks at school or they have to do online learning. Most meetings and even job interviews are now being taken in place virtually rather than in person. The economy is the worst it has been since the Great Depression. Concerts, group photos, theatre productions, and anything involving close social contact are all seen as things of the past now. Stores have glass chambers and markers on the floor now. Even music and fashion, masks are a part of fashion now and many popular songs were released that reference the pandemic. And a lot of other songs that were released this year were intentionally made as escapist because of the pandemic with their '80s upbeat sounding style. If all of that doesn't mean we are in a new era, I don't know what will. The 2020s started right on time as far as I'm concerned. The 2010s feel quite removed from the times we're living in right now.

Written By: Yestalgic on 08/30/20 at 10:05 pm

I agree with all of your valid points. There's a lot of bankruptcies on business around the world right now.

And the pandemic will still not end.

Also, a lot of people lose their jobs during the pandemic.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/20 at 2:14 pm

If coronavirus hadn't happened, would we have had a culture?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/20 at 4:32 pm

With even the Fisher Price toy company releasing a "work from home" toy playset for children, featuring a  laptop with four fabric "apps," a smartphone, headset, and coffee cup, I would say the 2020s culture is making itself felt loud and clear.  The playset is part of a collection designed for babies and preschoolers whose parents are spending more time at home due to the pandemic.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fisher-price-launches-work-from-home-play-set-2020-8

http://i.insider.com/5f32e6e4505f5371b25cb30b?width=700&format=jpeg&auto=webp
My granddaughter will love that!

Written By: 1997days on 09/01/20 at 12:14 am

i agree with you rainbowz that people acting like the virus means were 100% in the 2020s culture.Yeah like rainbow said things dont just switch overnight, and i agree that the virus is big and changed things but we definentley are not in 100% 2020a culture.

Written By: xenzue on 09/01/20 at 5:04 am

Mumble rap/cloud rap is pretty much dead. We're fully in a new wave of hip hop, it's a lot more diverse and female-fronted and I suspect that the change will be even more dramatic in 1-3 years. I think Juice WRLD's death was the final nail in the coffin of late 2010s soundcloud era rap. As time goes by I think trap won't exactly so suddenly. More likely it will continue to balkanize into many different subgenres and will get weaker and weaker in influence, but this will probably take years. Trap drums just have too many pros going for it production wise, it's easy to churn out and the quality is effortlessly good.

Tik Tok is making club music, house, and indie make a return in the young population. Y2K is in full swing in Gen Z taste whereas Myspace core and Mid 2000s glam is brewing in the underground. Kpop and Latin pop are becoming more and more of the secondary global pop powerhouses. I would not be surprised if there were a Latin/Korean "British Invasion" of the 2020s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/01/20 at 5:22 am

Mumble rap/cloud rap is pretty much dead. We're fully in a new wave of hip hop, it's a lot more diverse and female-fronted and I suspect that the change will be even more dramatic in 1-3 years. I think Juice WRLD's death was the final nail in the coffin of late 2010s soundcloud era rap. As time goes by I think trap won't exactly so suddenly. More likely it will continue to balkanize into many different subgenres and will get weaker and weaker in influence, but this will probably take years. Trap drums just have too many pros going for it production wise, it's easy to churn out and the quality is effortlessly good.

Tik Tok is making club music, house, and indie make a return in the young population. Y2K is in full swing in Gen Z taste whereas Myspace core and Mid 2000s glam is brewing in the underground. Kpop and Latin pop are becoming more and more of the secondary global pop powerhouses. I would not be surprised if there were a Latin/Korean "British Invasion" of the 2020s.

Yeah, all of this. And none of this touches on the impact the pandemic is having on cinema, or rather, the lack thereof. Tenet was the first in-theaters release in almost 6 months, drive-in theaters are making a comeback in the U.S., and I'm pretty sure the decline of the in-theater experience is going to be the death knell of the blockbuster era in Hollywood.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/01/20 at 6:54 am

I always thought the Mid 2000's will be coming back the next few years, especially with the emo styles. Do you think TikTok is the MySpace of the Early 2020's? Will MySpace make a comeback, especially with more people wanting to leave Facebook?

Yeah, all of this. And none of this touches on the impact the pandemic is having on cinema, or rather, the lack thereof. Tenet was the first in-theaters release in almost 6 months, drive-in theaters are making a comeback in the U.S., and I'm pretty sure the decline of the in-theater experience is going to be the death knell of the blockbuster era in Hollywood.

Even before the pandemic I felt like the theater experience was declining. I would rush to get there just to sit through 30 minutes of previews. There were only a few movies I was willing to pay and set a side time to go see on the big screen. I like the direct to screaming option like I did with Bill and Ted Face the Music the other day.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/01/20 at 10:29 am

i agree with you rainbowz that people acting like the virus means were 100% in the 2020s culture.Yeah like rainbow said things dont just switch overnight, and i agree that the virus is big and changed things but we definentley are not in 100% 2020a culture.

Only it did change this year

Written By: CarCar on 09/01/20 at 11:55 am

Well Black panther craze may have been one of the biggest phenomenon of the 2010s. I don’t see that happening for the 2020s.

Written By: mc98 on 09/01/20 at 12:33 pm

Even though we're not 100% in early 2020s yet, I think the overall atmosphere is starting to feel different from the 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/01/20 at 12:37 pm

Even though we're not 100% in early 2020s yet, I think the overall atmosphere is starting to feel different from the 2010s.

It felt different since the lockdown started though.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/20 at 2:07 pm

I feel like everyday I've entered a Sci-Fi film where the whole world are wearing masks and being prepared for surgery.  :o

Written By: Sman12 on 09/01/20 at 6:21 pm

You could be right. It's a rarity for subgenres to still maintain massive popularity like trap has.

I agree with your first sentiment, but Y2K? You mean the aesthetics or synthpop music? I'm confused on what you mean by that... But other than that, I agree with everything you're saying.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/01/20 at 8:52 pm

I agree with Slim here. In the future, people are gonna say stuff like "Coronavirus ended the 2010s" or "2010s ended in March 2020", without a doubt. Yes, there's still holdovers from 2018-2019 currently, but people aren't gonna focus on those in the future. I mean, outside of this site, most people say "The 90s ended on 9/11" full-stop, even though 2002-2004 still had plenty of late 90s holdovers.

Written By: xenzue on 09/02/20 at 4:57 am

You could be right. It's a rarity for subgenres to still maintain massive popularity like trap has.

I agree with your first sentiment, but Y2K? You mean the aesthetics or synthpop music? I'm confused on what you mean by that... But other than that, I agree with everything you're saying.

Mostly aesthetics and fashion, although some Y2K inspired production in music is infiltrating pop culture.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/02/20 at 5:53 am

I agree with Slim here. In the future, people are gonna say stuff like "Coronavirus ended the 2010s" or "2010s ended in March 2020", without a doubt. Yes, there's still holdovers from 2018-2019 currently, but people aren't gonna focus on those in the future. I mean, outside of this site, most people say "The 90s ended on 9/11" full-stop, even though 2002-2004 still had plenty of late 90s holdovers.

This is something I think a lot of people don't understand. The transitions between cultural eras are not an on-off switch. There were overtures toward hipsters as early as 2007 and there were emo albums being released (and people continuing to wear emo fashion) as late as 2013, but I'm sure most of us agree late 2000s culture did not last until 2013 nor did it end in 2007.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/02/20 at 8:47 am

I feel like everyday I've entered a Sci-Fi film where the whole world are wearing masks and being prepared for surgery.  :o

Are you likening it to Orwell's contention in "1984" that "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.”? I mean, your sci-fi thought of everyone constantly being prepared for surgery forever is a very dark and dystopian one. 

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/02/20 at 10:35 am

The thing about 2001 was that the styles were already changing even before 9/11. If it wasn't for the pandemic, I think the shift would have occurred in 2021 instead. The styles of music might be mostly the same as the late 2010's with trap and soundcloud, but the music of 2020 might "sound different" as people tend to associate music with memories of their personal lives and as we know our way of lives have changed. In addition, there is the retro 80's synth pop that is new and unique this year. Hopefully that continues and not just a temporary trend like the neo disco sound of 2013.

This is something I think a lot of people don't understand. The transitions between cultural eras are not an on-off switch. There were overtures toward hipsters as early as 2007 and there were emo albums being released (and people continuing to wear emo fashion) as late as 2013, but I'm sure most of us agree late 2000s culture did not last until 2013 nor did it end in 2007.

Yes, different eras of subgenres can overlap each. The late 1980's/early 1990's is a good example with grunge, New Jack Swing, pop, gangsta rap starting at different times. In the Mid 2000's crunk, emo, glam rap/R&B, and electropop started at different times.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/02/20 at 1:45 pm

In addition, there is the retro 80's synth pop that is new and unique this year. Hopefully that continues and not just a temporary trend like the neo disco sound of 2013.

That isn't new or unique. It's called synthwave, and has been a thing for 10-20 years now.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/20 at 8:08 am

Are you likening it to Orwell's contention in "1984" that "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.”? I mean, your sci-fi thought of everyone constantly being prepared for surgery forever is a very dark and dystopian one.

I didn't mean it like that I was just saying like when you walk down the street and you're wondering to yourself as to why is everyone wearing face masks?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/20 at 9:53 am

Waiting for the 2020s culture has been put on hold.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/07/20 at 10:37 am

It's official now. Looks like we're getting a new president in 2021. Not sure if it will change the culture though, at least not overnight.

Written By: CarCar on 11/07/20 at 10:54 am

It's official now. Looks like we're getting a new president in 2021. Not sure if it will change the culture though, at least not overnight.

It’s official the Donald trump Late 2010s are soon to be over and the Biden 2020s will begin

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 11/07/20 at 12:30 pm

Right now, I think that the transition between the 2010s and early 2020s starts from the end of this election and the inaugration of Biden.

Written By: Sman12 on 11/07/20 at 8:31 pm

It’s official the Donald trump Late 2010s are soon to be over and the Biden 2020s will begin

The PS5/Xbox Series X releases next week will also pull us more towards the cultural 2020s.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/20 at 4:48 am

It's a good thing we got that orange peach out of office.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...