inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pray for Lebanon

Written By: DisneysRetro on 08/04/20 at 10:56 pm

2020 has literally been quite the year from hell. Just as I thought it couldn’t get worse a huge explosion in Lebanon erupted killing many and injuring over 3,000 people. Seeing the footage kind of gave me flashbacks of 9/11. I hope everyone stays safe and prays for our planet during this time.

Subject: Re: Pray for Lebanon

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/04/20 at 11:07 pm

Yeah, I saw that earlier. It's just horrific. Prayers to all the victims and their families :\'(.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/04/20 at 11:12 pm

:\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 1:41 am

So sad, I heard the original report on the radio, I saw the first videos on the news, it looks awful there.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: duenas8 on 08/05/20 at 3:24 am

It looked like an atomic bomb.
Positive energies for those families and people

Written By: Sman12 on 08/05/20 at 5:25 am

It's really a devastating situation over there. And now I'm seeing that there are over 100 people dead and over 2,000 injured. RIP to the victims and I wish a speedy recovery to those that were injured. :\'(

Damn you, 2020. Damn you. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/20 at 5:39 am

It is estimated that 2750 TONS :o of ammonium nitrate blew up in this incident. For reference, the Oklahoma City bomb had roughly 2.5 tons of the stuff.

Amazingly... fewer people were killed in Beirut than were in OK City.

Here’s a video of the explosion and shock wave.

2mBF2gSEEHQ

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/05/20 at 9:42 am

TRAGIC

Written By: Sman12 on 08/05/20 at 10:16 am

It is estimated that 2750 TONS :o of ammonium nitrate blew up in this incident. For reference, the Oklahoma City bomb had roughly 2.5 tons of the stuff.

Amazingly... fewer people were killed in Beirut than were in OK City.

Give it time. The deaths are expected to rise.

Written By: karen on 08/05/20 at 1:00 pm

Apparently the ammonium nitrate had been there for several years and nothing was done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 1:02 pm

Apparently the ammonium nitrate had been there for several years and nothing was done.
I am fearing that are there other such cities with ports with similar storage in third world countries

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/05/20 at 2:56 pm

😨😔😭 :\'(

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/05/20 at 2:57 pm

2020 is literally Satan's year. So many bad things happened to innocent people, along with horrible political events and environmental catastrophes like this one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/20 at 5:17 pm

The Texas City disaster of 1947 saw the explosion of 2300 tons of ammonium nitrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

581 people were killed in that deal.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/20 at 1:10 pm

I feel so bad for the people of Lebanon. They have been suffering from lack of leadership for years now. And this is the result. My thoughts go out to the victims and their families.

Cat

Written By: duenas8 on 08/08/20 at 12:44 pm

It’s happening! Lebanese protesters want the resignation of the president.
pOKLBRJiSRs

Written By: nally on 08/09/20 at 8:11 pm

Yeah, I saw that earlier. It's just horrific. Prayers to all the victims and their families :\'(.

I feel so bad for the people of Lebanon. They have been suffering from lack of leadership for years now. And this is the result. My thoughts go out to the victims and their families.

Cat

Agreed with both of these posts. :(

Written By: Elor on 08/10/20 at 1:17 am

I donated some money to a German relief organization involved with the rescue operations down there. I think that'll do more than "thoughts and prayers". ???

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/10/20 at 3:37 am

I need to be in a stasis chamber for a few years... Tired of hearing too many bad news.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/20 at 5:46 am

I feel so bad for the people of Lebanon. They have been suffering from lack of leadership for years now.

Cat

I grew up in an area with an extremely high Lebanese population. I can tell you that the Lebanese that I grew up with were (and are) exceedingly clannish and tend to self segregate. As soon as the Lebanese that I grew up with gained wealth (through hard work, mind you) they went out and started their own Maronite Catholic sect church. That never really set well with me because the Roman Catholic Church welcomed them with open arms and treated them well, welcomed them to the country. But they had to segregate even their church. These (sponsors of the Maronite Church) are people who were born and raised in the USA as Roamin’ Catholics. But they had to segregate even their church. (And no, our churches did not have the pervert priests you read about).

We were a melting pot area, with lots of Italians, Krauts, Micks and Serbs too.  But those groups tended to mix and mingle more than the Lebanese, and spread out.

Part of Lebanon’s “leadership problem” is the same ailment that much of the Middle East sees... sectarianism and clannism, with people more concerned for their tribes or ethnic groupings than the concept of a nation. This includes Muslims, Christians, and Jews.

Check for new replies or respond here...