inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the quarantine dragging Millennials and Zillennials into TikTok?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 08/25/20 at 6:02 am

For the longest time, we've always treated TikTok as solely Gen Z property. However, ever since the quarantines happened, my little sister (who's 18 now) noticed an influx of TikTok users in their early-mid 20s and even some in their mid-to-late 20s, basically young millennials and cuspers. This might be anecdotal, but perhaps it's worth discussing.

Is the quarantine dragging such people into TikTok out of boredom?

Subject: Re: Is the quarantine dragging Millennials and Zillennials into TikTok?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/25/20 at 9:36 am

For the longest time, we've always treated TikTok as solely Gen Z property. However, ever since the quarantines happened, my little sister (who's 18 now) noticed an influx of TikTok users in their early-mid 20s and even some in their mid-to-late 20s, basically young millennials and cuspers. This might be anecdotal, but perhaps it's worth discussing.

It could be that this is the natural progression of things, if Facebook is any example. When it was new, Facebook was primarily populated by young people. They eventually migrated away to other social media and now Facebook is pretty much all middle aged people and beyond.  Maybe the quarantine is speeding up this process with TikTok.

Subject: Re: Is the quarantine dragging Millennials and Zillennials into TikTok?

Written By: goodbants on 08/25/20 at 12:25 pm

I thought tiktok was dumb at first but then I kept seeing TikToks reposted onto other sites like Reddit and they were pretty funny, so I caved in. My 48 year old mother watches tiktoks all the time lol.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/25/20 at 9:01 pm

I thought tiktok was dumb at first but then I kept seeing TikToks reposted onto other sites like Reddit and they were pretty funny, so I caved in. My 48 year old mother watches tiktoks all the time lol.
Same  ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 08/25/20 at 9:11 pm

TikTok's massive now, and even more so because of people being forced to stay home (and the high-profile legal feuds), so yeah, the app appeals to everyone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/20 at 5:31 am

TikTok's massive now, and even more so because of people being forced to stay home (and the high-profile legal feuds), so yeah, the app appeals to everyone.
...everyone, not me?

Written By: wixness on 08/26/20 at 5:35 am

I'm someone who still hasn't got a TikTok and is content with it; I'm also Gen Z too. Mostly because I think it's 2010s junk (even though it existed only from 2016) and because I'd envy the users on there too (even thinking of quitting Tumblr almost for good in small part because of this). Unlike other social media, I have to see content first before deciding whether I like it or not. I prefer to avoid content I don't even want to see altogether. Even under the potential MS influence this would change little about my impressions of the social network, and putting it under MS influence would do nothing to relieve my privacy and other politically related concerns of the platform.

Written By: wixness on 08/27/20 at 1:32 pm

Also regardless of host nation TikTok is still terrible with privacy:
https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/problem-with-tiktok/
Should have posted this in the relevant thread but I don't really wish to discuss this at length. I'm not exactly a privacy freak but I don't want big companies getting away with their crap.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/28/20 at 5:12 am

God, I hope not. TikTok is just as bad for us as Facebook.

Written By: 2001 on 10/18/20 at 5:28 pm

If my avatar didn't make it obvious I got Tiktok a couple of months ago. I wish someone told me it was more like YouTube instead of "social media". The videos people make are hillarious. It reminds me of early YouTube with the creative short clips.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/18/20 at 5:41 pm

If my avatar didn't make it obvious I got Tiktok a couple of months ago. I wish someone told me it was more like YouTube instead of "social media".

Does TikTok have videos of people lighting their flatulence on fire like YouTube does? ???

Written By: 2001 on 10/18/20 at 5:56 pm

Does TikTok have videos of people lighting their flatulence on fire like YouTube does? ???

Probably. However, I'm not on that "side" of Tiktok. The app shows you videos it thinks you will like, and I guess the algorithm accurately predicted I wouldn't enjoy flaming flatulence videos.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 10/19/20 at 4:10 am

If my avatar didn't make it obvious I got Tiktok a couple of months ago. I wish someone told me it was more like YouTube instead of "social media". The videos people make are hillarious. It reminds me of early YouTube with the creative short clips.

What do they exactly do on TikTok? ???

Written By: 2001 on 10/19/20 at 8:03 am

Make 15-60 second video clips. You hit like on videos you like, and it will show you videos similar to that. I hit like on videos that make me laugh, so I get more funny content. Other people use it for things like cooking videos, vacation videos or DIY videos, and other things.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/20 at 9:09 am

Under the circumstances I do not wish to know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/20 at 9:23 am

I hear now that there is a dodgy side to Tik-Tok?

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/20 at 10:49 am

Under the circumstances I do not wish to know.

I think everyone should try it before they knock it. The content on there is hilarious.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/20 at 10:51 am

I think everyone should try it before they knock it. The content on there is hilarious.

Yes, but is it meaningful?

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/20 at 11:04 am

Yes, but is it meaningful?

I don't know, that's like asking if television or YouTube is meaningful. I mainly use it for laughs, and who doesn't like laughing?

A lot of people satirize their life situation, so in a way I did learn to see things from new perspectives.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/20 at 11:18 am

I don't know, that's like asking if television or YouTube is meaningful. I mainly use it for laughs, and who doesn't like laughing?

A lot of people satirize their life situation, so in a way I did learn to see things from new perspectives.

Television and Youtube are a mixture of both the meaningful and the frivolous. What I am saying is we must be vigilant of too much frivolity or shallowness or we will have the 80s all over again. I know there are people here who were not yet born who worship the 80s, but I was actually there. Trust me, the popular culture could have stood a little more seriousness and/or depth.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/20 at 11:36 am

Television and Youtube are a mixture of both the meaningful and the frivolous. What I am saying is we must be vigilant of too much frivolity or shallowness or we will have the 80s all over again. I know there are people here who were not yet born who worship the 80s, but I was actually there. Trust me, the popular culture could have stood a little more seriousness and/or depth.

That's what threw me off about the question. It can be as meaningful or frivolous as you want it to be.

I hear you on excessive frivolity though, and Instagram is a perfect example of it. It started off alright, being a photo editing app made for the artistic hipster type to help beautify photos of your artisanal coffee and whatnot. But after a few years being bought by Facebook, it quickly became an app of "influencers" trying to sell you Gucci bags and an impossible fitness lifestyle. Everything on it so artificial now, it feels like a luxury shopping website instead of a place that brings you closer to your friends. It's actually sad what Instagram has become.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/20 at 11:56 am

That's what threw me off about the question. It can be as meaningful or frivolous as you want it to be.

I hear you on excessive frivolity though, and Instagram is a perfect example of it. It started off alright, being a photo editing app made for the artistic hipster type to help beautify photos of your artisanal coffee and whatnot. But after a few years being bought by Facebook, it quickly became an app of "influencers" trying to sell you Gucci bags and an impossible fitness lifestyle. Everything on it so artificial now, it feels like a luxury shopping website instead of a place that brings you closer to your friends. It's actually sad what Instagram has become.

And of course, let not anybody confuse "seriousness" or "depth" with "tragedy". Covid is a tragedy. We need humor and entertainment to cope, but we also need seriousness and depth and spirituality (the latter not to be confused strictly with "religion", although that can be fine too) all of which, in their own way, very much ease the burden.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/20 at 12:14 pm

And of course, let not anybody confuse "seriousness" or "depth" with "tragedy". Covid is a tragedy. We need humor and entertainment to cope, but we also need seriousness and depth and spirituality (the latter not to be confused strictly with "religion", although that can be fine too) all of which, in their own way, very much ease the burden.

I think Tiktok was made for entertainment, so I'm not going to fault it for lacking deep discussion in serious subject matters. I only use Tiktok for 10-20 minutes a day and go for a few days at a time without using it and I think that's a pretty typical use pattern, so I don't think it precludes more serious activities such as reading books or news articles about the virus.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/20 at 2:10 pm

Make 15-60 second video clips. You hit like on videos you like, and it will show you videos similar to that. I hit like on videos that make me laugh, so I get more funny content. Other people use it for things like cooking videos, vacation videos or DIY videos, and other things.

When I get a new camera I might try it out.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/20 at 5:40 pm

When I get a new camera I might try it out.

You don't need a camera. I never made a video myself, I don't even follow my friends on it. It's like YouTube, except with really short videos.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/20 at 4:13 am

You don't need a camera. I never made a video myself, I don't even follow my friends on it. It's like YouTube, except with really short videos.

What exactly do you need?

Check for new replies or respond here...