inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why isn't Bette Midler Cancelled?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/20 at 11:24 am

Bette Midler took to name calling on Twitter in response to Melania Trump's speech at the republican Convention on Tuesday. Among the insults hurled by Midler were "she still can't speak English", "get that illegal alien off the stage" (Mrs. Trump is a legal citizen of the US), plus jibes about Mrs. Trump's physical appearance. I am not taking a pro- or anti-Trump stance here, I will leave that to others. But rather I am taking an anti-Midler stance. Why is she allowed to do this? It implies that people with accents and "illegal immigrants" are "less than". She is using those terms as insults. How come "woke" people get away with this as long as the target they are bashing is the "right" one? What I want to point out is the element of hypocrisy going on. 

Bette Midler Calls Melania Trump an ‘Illegal Alien’ Who ‘Can’t Speak English,’ Responds to Controversy:

https://variety.com/2020/politics/news/bette-midler-melania-trump-illegal-alien-1234749255/

Subject: Re: Why isn't Bette Midler Cancelled?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/28/20 at 5:35 pm

Bette Midler took to name calling on Twitter in response to Melania Trump's speech at the republican Convention on Tuesday. Among the insults hurled by Midler were "she still can't speak English", "get that illegal alien off the stage" (Mrs. Trump is a legal citizen of the US), plus jibes about Mrs. Trump's physical appearance. I am not taking a pro- or anti-Trump stance here, I will leave that to others. But rather I am taking an anti-Midler stance. Why is she allowed to do this? It implies that people with accents and "illegal immigrants" are "less than". She is using those terms as insults. How come "woke" people get away with this as long as the target they are bashing is the "right" one? What I want to point out is the element of hypocrisy going on. 

Bette Midler Calls Melania Trump an ‘Illegal Alien’ Who ‘Can’t Speak English,’ Responds to Controversy:

https://variety.com/2020/politics/news/bette-midler-melania-trump-illegal-alien-1234749255/

Jones about Melania’s physical appearance?

Geeze Louise, regardless of political leanings, she is smoking hot.  :P

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/29/20 at 9:44 am

She may be legal now, but there are questions about her initial residence.  In addition, her parents got here through "chain migration", which Trump has decried.  Just saying

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/29/20 at 11:41 am

She may be legal now, but there are questions about her initial residence.  In addition, her parents got here through "chain migration", which Trump has decried.  Just saying

You may be correct, but given that in this day and age we can't even call actual illegal immigrants "illegal immigrants", Midler was out of line. But apparently as long as the woke crowd hurls these politically incorrect terms at the target of their derision in the name of wokeness it is OK. The hypocrisy of it all staggers me. Roseanne Barr, not exactly a member of the woke crowd, posted a tweet about someone's appearance that was perceived as racist, and she was cancelled, shut down and unpersoned.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/29/20 at 12:18 pm

Here is the text of Bette’s cancellation notice.

‘Let the name of Bette Midler be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all bath houses and stricken from every Broadway and off-Broadway playhouse of New York. Let the name of Midler be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.’

Check for new replies or respond here...