inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bill and Ted Face the Music

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/31/20 at 6:10 pm

Anybody watch this movie yet? I watched it on Friday since it was released direct to digital. I enjoyed it. It might be my favorite movie of this year so far not that there's a lot to choose from. I feel like it's a movie that's needed as it has a nice tone with lovable characters and a positive message, but I won't spoil it. It is targeted toward the Gen X audience that were fans of the original and can relate being middle aged now.

I just happened to come across this interesting NY Times article about two Gen X-ers explaining the movie/franchise to two Gen Z-ers, and they mentioned the late 1980's/1990's culture like Michael Keaton's Batman, Saved By the Bell, 90210, tie dye shirts and Keds, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/movies/bill-and-teds-excellent-adventure.html

Subject: Re: Bill and Ted Face the Music

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/20 at 7:14 pm

Anybody watch this movie yet? I watched it on Friday since it was released direct to digital. I enjoyed it. It might be my favorite movie of this year so far not that there's a lot to choose from. I feel like it's a movie that's needed as it has a nice tone with lovable characters and a positive message, but I won't spoil it. It is targeted toward the Gen X audience that were fans of the original and can relate being middle aged now.

I just happened to come across this interesting NY Times article about two Gen X-ers explaining the movie/franchise to two Gen Z-ers, and they mentioned the late 1980's/1990's culture like Michael Keaton's Batman, Saved By the Bell, 90210, tie dye shirts and Keds, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/movies/bill-and-teds-excellent-adventure.html

Tie dye shirts are associated with the 80s and/or 90s now???  This Boomer who remembers the 60s well begs to differ! As for Keds, they go back to the 50s. They're even mentioned in "Stand By Me" which takes place in some 50s/early 60s never-never land. The kid that was murdered was "knocked right out of his Keds".

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/01/20 at 1:29 pm

Tie dye shirts are associated with the 80s and/or 90s now???  This Boomer who remembers the 60s well begs to differ! As for Keds, they go back to the 50s. They're even mentioned in "Stand By Me" which takes place in some 50s/early 60s never-never land. The kid that was murdered was "knocked right out of his Keds".

I do remember hearing about a 60's revival in the 80's so maybe a lot of the fashion are repeat trends. However with the movies and TV shows mentioned, that's clearly from that time. I miss those days and looks like there's a 2nd wave of nostalgia from that time (first wave was Mid-2000's c. 2005).

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/20 at 10:03 am

I still think the movie studio dropped the ball by not calling the movie Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/05/20 at 10:10 am

It's a bit depressing to see how old they are now and how much noticeable cosmetic surgery Keanu reeves has had. And I was already not young when the original movie came out!  :o

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 09/11/20 at 10:19 am

I don't think anybody is "associating" tie dyes with the 80s/90s, but tie dye T-shirts definitely made a comeback in the late 1980s.  There was a strong 60s/70s revival starting around 1985.  Hippie fashions were a part of that.  I made tie dye T-shirts with my classmates in college during the mid-80s (I also made them back in the early 70s as a kid).  I can't possibly be the only person on Earth who remembers all this.  Actually, a quick search proves I have NOT slipped into some alternate timeline:

Video from 1988 :
M7bx-buw6yk

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/12/20 at 8:15 am

I don't think anybody is "associating" tie dyes with the 80s/90s, but tie dye T-shirts definitely made a comeback in the late 1980s.  There was a strong 60s/70s revival starting around 1985.  Hippie fashions were a part of that.  I made tie dye T-shirts with my classmates in college during the mid-80s (I also made them back in the early 70s as a kid).  I can't possibly be the only person on Earth who remembers all this.  Actually, a quick search proves I have NOT slipped into some alternate timeline:

Video from 1988 :
M7bx-buw6yk

It was just according to that article. They should have just stuck to the movies and TV shows from that time, and added mention of music like grunge and dance pop (NKOTB, Milli Vanilli, etc). Basically the point was describing the Gen-X culture of that time to Zoomers to give them an idea what life was like back when they were their age.

Check for new replies or respond here...