inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Russian Coronavirus Vaccine Works

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/20 at 11:27 am

Medical journal The Lancet has issued a report showing that the Russian Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine indeed produced an antibody response.  8)

https://thehill.com/policy/international/515101-medical-journal-russia-coronavirus-vaccine-produced-antibody-response-in

Results from two 42-day trials, including 38 healthy adults each, that were conducted in June and July found that all participants developed antibodies without any serious symptoms, according to The Lancet.

The medical journal found the Russian vaccine “has a good safety profile and induced strong humoral and cellular immune responses in participants. Further investigation is needed of the effectiveness of this vaccine for prevention of COVID-19.”

Looks like all those naysayers are gonna have to eat crow.  :P

Meanwhile, the American vaccine is not expected to hit the streets until later next month.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/02/experts-see-a-chance-for-a-covid-19-vaccine-approval-this-fall-if-its-done-right/

Subject: Re: Russian Coronavirus Vaccine Works

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/05/20 at 2:29 am

Finally, some great news! Top Brands, were counting on you

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/20 at 3:10 am

Finally, some great news! Top Brands, were counting on you
Will the vaccine be a one off for immunity or an annual jab, like the current flu jab?

Written By: karen on 09/05/20 at 3:21 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54036221

It hasn’t undergone a large scale trial yet. It sounds as though it is at the same stage as several other vaccines

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/20 at 6:55 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54036221

It hasn’t undergone a large scale trial yet. It sounds as though it is at the same stage as several other vaccines

Except this vaccine is already out there protecting President Putin’s daughter.  8)

Written By: karen on 09/09/20 at 1:33 am

Except this vaccine is already out there protecting President Putin’s daughter.  8)

Yeah, but it still hasn’t undergone large scale trials yet, so we don’t know if there are any adverse reactions.

The Astra-Zeneca Oxford vaccine phase 3 trails have been paused as one participant showed a potentially adverse reaction. This will be independently assessed before the decision is taken to carry on or abandon the trial.  I would be very wary of any vaccine that hadn’t been thoroughly tested.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/20 at 5:24 am

Yeah, but it still hasn’t undergone large scale trials yet, so we don’t know if there are any adverse reactions.

The Astra-Zeneca Oxford vaccine phase 3 trails have been paused as one participant showed a potentially adverse reaction. This will be independently assessed before the decision is taken to carry on or abandon the trial.  I would be very wary of any vaccine that hadn’t been thoroughly tested.

It is a risk-reward equation. How many people will catch the coronavirus and die because somebody is wringing their hands over possible virus reactions?

That’s precisely how my uncle died of tuberculosis. They would not administer the drug streptomycin to him because they said it was too dangerous as an experimental drug. He died, and streptomycin became the cure to TB.

Written By: Elor on 09/09/20 at 9:42 am

It is a risk-reward equation. How many people will catch the coronavirus and die because somebody is wringing their hands over possible virus reactions?

That’s precisely how my uncle died of tuberculosis. They would not administer the drug streptomycin to him because they said it was too dangerous as an experimental drug. He died, and streptomycin became the cure to TB.
And if the stuff has lethal side effects or does long term damage? Do you want to hand out millions of doses to people?
BTW my grandfather was permanently damaged because he got a bad vaccine in the 1920ies or 30ies (don't know anymore which decade as I only know it from stories from my mother. I never met him because he died before I was born). He was lucky though. All the other children who got the same batch of the stuff died. Though I have to admit that I don't know whether it was an unsafe vaccine or just a bad batch but one has to be careful regardless. Handing out an untested drug is a lottery. It can work or you kill / damage people by the millions which would be worse than what Corona can do.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/20 at 1:46 pm

I'm skeptical.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/20 at 11:27 am

I'm skeptical.

Cat
I think that now is the case, we do not hear much of it's usage?

Written By: Elor on 10/09/20 at 12:55 pm

I think that now is the case, we do not hear much of it's usage?
Yep, nothing. Not encouraging but also not unexpected.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/20 at 2:01 pm

Will the vaccine be a one off for immunity or an annual jab, like the current flu jab?

I think it might be a flu jab.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/20 at 10:38 am

Works = All gone quiet?

Written By: 2001 on 11/09/20 at 11:38 am

Works = All gone quiet?

I do think in regular circumstances "no news is good news" applies when it comes to vaccine trials, but this is the Russian government we're talking about, and if there was negative news surrounding this I doubt they would publicize it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/20 at 11:43 am

I do think in regular circumstances "no news is good news" applies when it comes to vaccine trials, but this is the Russian government we're talking about, and if there was negative news surrounding this I doubt they would publicize it.
As they say in Russia "Поддельная отчетность" or "Poddel'naya otchetnost'"?

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/10/20 at 10:03 am

As they say in Russia "Поддельная отчетность" or "Poddel'naya otchetnost'"?

I have to admit ignorance, what does the mean in English?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/20 at 10:11 am

I have to admit ignorance, what does the mean in English?
From my Google Translate it is 'fake reporting' in Russian.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/11/20 at 9:53 am

From my Google Translate it is 'fake reporting' in Russian.

Thanks

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/21 at 8:00 am

Medical journal The Lancet has issued a report showing that the Russian Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine indeed produced an antibody response.  8)

https://thehill.com/policy/international/515101-medical-journal-russia-coronavirus-vaccine-produced-antibody-response-in

Looks like all those naysayers are gonna have to eat crow.  :P

Meanwhile, the American vaccine is not expected to hit the streets until later next month.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/02/experts-see-a-chance-for-a-covid-19-vaccine-approval-this-fall-if-its-done-right/
Any news on the Russian Vaccination program?

Check for new replies or respond here...