inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Professor Resigns After Posing as Black

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/11/20 at 12:00 pm

George Washington University professor Jessica Krug, a white, Jewish woman from Kansas, has resigned from her position at George Washington University after revealing that she assumed identities such as “North African Blackness, then U.S.-rooted Blackness, then Caribbean-rooted Bronx Blackness.”

www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/us/jessica-krug-george-washington-university.html

www.thecut.com/2020/09/historian-jessica-krug-admits-to-posing-as-a-black-woman.html#comments

Subject: Re: Professor Resigns After Posing as Black

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/20 at 12:13 pm

Why can’t she identify as black?  If Bruce Jenner or Bradley Manning can identify as a woman, This lady ought to be able to identify as a black woman. Or even as a black man.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/11/20 at 12:28 pm

The problem of identity politics:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/10/jessica-krug-exposes-the-fallacy-of-identity-politics/

Written By: Howard on 09/11/20 at 1:35 pm

Why can’t she identify as black?  If Bruce Jenner or Bradley Manning can identify as a woman, This lady ought to be able to identify as a black woman. Or even as a black man.

Jessica can be a Jewish Black woman.

Written By: Sman12 on 09/12/20 at 8:44 am

She really pulled a Rachel Dolezal on us. No sympathy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/20 at 8:58 am

She really pulled a Rachel Dolezal on us. No sympathy.

Why no sympathy for somebody who identifies as black? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/12/20 at 9:22 am

Why no sympathy for somebody who identifies as black? ???

It's the WAY she did it. Read this article I posted above about identity politics:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/10/jessica-krug-exposes-the-fallacy-of-identity-politics/

And have you watched the video of her? That awful, fake accent? Is that the way she thinks black people talk? It's a form of racism in itself. And she was gaming the system big time. She posed as a "black latina". She was trying to squeeze every minority group she could in there in this time of identity politics when people are often considered more for their identities than their achievements . I'm surprised she didn't make it a "black latina lesbian". She was taking advantage of the "victim culture" we are in these days.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/20 at 11:17 am

It's the WAY she did it. Read this article I posted above about identity politics:

And have you watched the video of her? That awful, fake accent? Is that the way she thinks black people talk? It's a form of racism in itself. And she was gaming the system big time. She posed as a "black latina". She was trying to squeeze every minority group she could in there in this time of identity politics when people are often considered more for their identities than their achievements . I'm surprised she didn't make it a "black Latina lesbian". She was taking advantage of the "victim culture" we are in these days.

But men go around identifying as women these days, and vice versa... without necessarily telling people that they are not really 'as advertised'.

So I see now reason why a Jewish woman can't identify as a black Latina (either gay or lesbian) without forewarnings being issued.

Its a whole new world... her diversity should be embraced and not shamed!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/12/20 at 12:14 pm

But men go around identifying as women these days, and vice versa... without necessarily telling people that they are not really 'as advertised'.

So I see now reason why a Jewish woman can't identify as a black Latina (either gay or lesbian) without forewarnings being issued.

Its a whole new world... her diversity should be embraced and not shamed!

And you also embrace Elizabeth Warren for claiming she has Native American blood so she could get into Harvard? That's what Krug was doing. She was gaming the system. She wasn't "embracing her inner black woman" or "being what she truly was born to be". If she was she wouldn't have tried on and discarded so many cliched, politicized versions of it. If anything, she has serious white guilt, but that's not the same thing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/20 at 12:28 pm

And you also embrace Elizabeth Warren for claiming she has Native American blood so she could get into Harvard? That's what Krug was doing. She was gaming the system. She wasn't "embracing her inner black woman" or "being what she truly was born to be". If she was she wouldn't have tried on and discarded so many cliched, politicized versions of it. If anything, she has serious white guilt, but that's not the same thing.

Hey that's how things are these days.  If Bruce Jenner, a legendary winner in a male Olympic decathlon and former husband of a number of women, can now be celebrated as identifying as a woman... why can't this young lady identify as a black Latina?  Ditto for Pocahontas Warren.

The toothpaste is out of the tube.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/12/20 at 12:39 pm

Hey that's how things are these days.  If Bruce Jenner, a legendary winner in a male Olympic decathlon and former husband of a number of women, can now be celebrated as identifying as a woman... why can't this young lady identify as a black Latina?  Ditto for Pocahontas Warren.

The toothpaste is out of the tube.

You are comparing apples and oranges. It one thing to have gender dysphoria like Jenner presumably has, and another to put on a Halloween costume like Warren and Krug  for personal gain or to be "hip".  It is the AUTHENTICITY that society now celebrates. Not people putting on guises. Don't you see the difference?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/20 at 12:42 pm

You are comparing apples and oranges. It one thing to have gender dysphoria like Jenner presumably has, and another to put on a Halloween costume like Warren and Krug  for personal gain or to be "hip".  It is the AUTHENTICITY that society now celebrates. Not people putting on guises. Don't you see the difference?

You never heard of racial dysphoria?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/12/20 at 12:52 pm

You never heard of racial dysphoria?

If you legitimately think that Krug or Warren has "racial dysphoria" I feel sorry for you. These are the kind of people that could sell you a bridge. But I suspect you are just being the devil's advocate.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/20 at 1:24 pm

If you legitimately think that Krug or Warren has "racial dysphoria" I feel sorry for you. These are the kind of people that could sell you a bridge. But I suspect you are just being the devil's advocate.

That’s what people used to say about Renee Richards and Chaz Bono too. There are plenty of people who have racial dysphoria... such as some young suburban white males who are denigrated as w*ggers because they identify as African American.  They should not have to live in a closet.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/12/20 at 2:00 pm

That’s what people used to say about Renee Richards and Chaz Bono too. There are plenty of people who have racial dysphoria... such as some young suburban white males who are denigrated as w*ggers because they identify as African American. They should not have to live in a closet.

Were they born that way or were they INFLUENCED BY CULTURE?? If there was no rap would these suburban white boys be this way? There are THAT many suburban white boys who are born with "racial dysphoria"? Even if there was no rap? Where were the white boys with racial dysphoria in the 60s when there was no rap? They were that deep in the closet that we never heard of a single one? Seems far more like cultural appropriation to me. You really can't tell the difference? You're fooling with us.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/20 at 2:24 pm

Were they born that way or were they INFLUENCED BY CULTURE?? If there was no rap would these suburban white boys be this way? There are THAT many suburban white boys who are born with "racial dysphoria"? Even if there was no rap? Where were the white boys with racial dysphoria in the 60s when there was no rap? They were that deep in the closet that we never heard of a single one? Seems far more like cultural appropriation to me. You really can't tell the difference? You're fooling with us.

Well I would not want to be judgemental as to the source of their racial dysphoria. I mean, nobody asked Jenner or Manning what “caused” their gender swaps, so as I see things, Ms Krug or Ms Dolezal should not have to explain “causes” either.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/14/20 at 9:25 am

My take:
1 Warren and I both have native American genetic markers (mine,5.7% is in the mitochondrial).  I also have 7.3% sub-Saharan African. Interesting.  Warren traces hers to specific family history, while the source of mine is unknown, so there is some legitimacy to her claim.

2 Krug has just invented - appropriated - those identities, which is totally different, probably to advance herself through affirmative action. BIG difference

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/14/20 at 9:39 am

My take:
1 Warren and I both have native American genetic markers (mine,5.7% is in the mitochondrial).  I also have 7.3% sub-Saharan African. Interesting.  Warren traces hers to specific family history, while the source of mine is unknown, so there is some legitimacy to her claim.

2 Krug has just invented - appropriated - those identities, which is totally different, probably to advance herself through affirmative action. BIG difference

You are correct on all counts, but Warren has such a tiny percentage of Native American blood, traced six to ten generations back, that to use it to get into Harvard as a minority is really, really pushing it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/15/20 at 9:13 am

You are correct on all counts, but Warren has such a tiny percentage of Native American blood, traced six to ten generations back, that to use it to get into Harvard as a minority is really, really pushing it.

Agreed.  To use my example, there is a big difference between one's genetic background and one's cultural background.  I am neither native American nor black culturally but do have those genes

Check for new replies or respond here...