inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: InThe00s? Or Popedia?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/20 at 11:54 am

Which is your pleasure?

Subject: Re: InThe00s? Or Popedia?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/20 at 11:56 am

My loyalty is with InThe00s!

Written By: nally on 09/15/20 at 12:29 pm

Mine too!

Written By: Elor on 09/15/20 at 12:50 pm

This forum.
I only had a very short look at Popedia and found it visually very unpleasing and confusing (like a site from the early days of the internet) so I didn't spend much time there.

However if you ask the same question there you might get different results. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/20 at 1:29 pm

This one. I have been here for so long that they forced convinced me to be the lead mod.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/15/20 at 3:08 pm

This forum - I've enjoyed it for many years.  Haven't used Popedia - but see no need to go hunting for anything else.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/20 at 3:14 pm

Looks like I see a pattern here.  :P

Written By: violet_shy on 09/15/20 at 6:33 pm

I like inthe00s more. I have visited Popedia recently, but didn't join. I don't think I will. :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/20 at 6:47 pm

I like inthe00s more. I have visited Popedia recently, but didn't join. I don't think I will. :P

I joined over there several months ago, figured I’d see what all the hubbub was about. Then I got immediately banned, before I even got to start a thread, reply to a thread, or even like a post.  ;D  8)

Written By: violet_shy on 09/15/20 at 7:15 pm

I joined over there several months ago, figured I’d see what all the hubbub was about. Then I got immediately banned, before I even got to start a thread, reply to a thread, or even like a post.  ;D  8)

They should change the layout. It looks plain and boring... ::)
I WAS going to join, but it just didn't seem like fun. I think it's that layout they currently have. Buuut, it could've been just me, because I'm using a phone to visit sites online. And I think Popedia isn't mobile friendly. ?.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/20 at 3:59 am

Same here, been on this site nearly 20 years.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/18/20 at 8:51 am

They should change the layout. It looks plain and boring... ::)
I WAS going to join, but it just didn't seem like fun. I think it's that layout they currently have. Buuut, it could've been just me, because I'm using a phone to visit sites online. And I think Popedia isn't mobile friendly. ?.

The mobile version of the site has a different layout to the desktop/tablet version. Also, there's 15 different layouts to choose from on the forum, so if you don't like one, you have the option of changing it.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/18/20 at 9:00 am

I haven't joined Popedia (I had plans to but never did). So I can't really say. I will say one thing tho, InThe00s has been my main home of the two for 5 years, but I don't stop by this site as often as I used to, and the majority of the friends I made on this site don't stop by often anymore either. I have another community now I've been hanging out with & have grown on me since last year. The Twitch & Discord world that is, but it depends on the type of community you hang around.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/18/20 at 9:42 am

The mobile version of the site has a different layout to the desktop/tablet version. Also, there's 15 different layouts to choose from on the forum, so if you don't like one, you have the option of changing it.

I figured that since many sites can only be viewed on desktop.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/18/20 at 5:29 pm

I just got a PM from a InThe00s member. Apparently Popedia is now a “members only” affair. You have to be a member to even view it. That’s gotta cut into its growth.  ::)

Of course if you end up like me, you might register and then be immediately banned before you even get the chance to post!  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 09/18/20 at 6:46 pm

Of course if you end up like me, you might register and then be immediately banned before you even get the chance to post!  ;D

That's strange. What kind of a message board is that?  ::)

I won't be joining anytime soon anyway.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/19/20 at 2:33 am

That's strange. What kind of a message board is that?  ::)

I won't be joining anytime soon anyway.

Before you jump to a conclusion, perhaps you should consider the fact that there's two sides to a story. Up until recently, LyricBoy had been bullying me on this site for months, for no reason at all. I was never nasty towards him before he started to provoke me. That "refracted" post in his signature was actually a quote of mine he used to try and provoke me even more, and the only reason why it has been removed is because I personally messaged CatwomanV about his behaviours towards me and she then sent him a message asking him to change it.

He also 'steals' threads posted by Popedia members daily and posts them on here almost word-for-word. This "Inthe00s or Popedia" thread was created hours earlier by ex-member John Titor over on Popedia; all of the topics he has created on inthe00s are ones he has directly copied and pasted from topics made over on our forum.

I can even publicly post the message I sent CatwomanV if you don't believe any of this. He's a bully, and one of the mods needs to ban him from this forum so that this can all be put to rest.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/19/20 at 3:43 am

Before you jump to a conclusion, perhaps you should consider the fact that there's two sides to a story. Up until recently, LyricBoy had been bullying me on this site for months, for no reason at all. I was never nasty towards him before he started to provoke me. That "refracted" post in his signature was actually a quote of mine he used to try and provoke me even more, and the only reason why it has been removed is because I personally messaged CatwomanV about his behaviours towards me and she then sent him a message asking him to change it.

He also 'steals' threads posted by Popedia members daily and posts them on here almost word-for-word. This "Inthe00s or Popedia" thread was created hours earlier by ex-member John Titor over on Popedia; all of the topics he has created on inthe00s are ones he has directly copied and pasted from topics made over on our forum.

I can even publicly post the message I sent CatwomanV if you don't believe any of this. He's a bully, and one of the mods needs to ban him from this forum so that this can all be put to rest.

Oh...I had no idea. :-[

And I didn't know Popedia is your site. I apologize for complaining about the layout like a grump lol.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/19/20 at 3:52 am

Oh...I had no idea. :-[

And I didn't know Popedia is your site. I apologize for complaining about the layout like a grump lol.

Lol, that's okay. I appreciate all feedback. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/20 at 4:18 am

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/20 at 4:57 am

Lol, that's okay. I appreciate all feedback. :)
Thank you, for I was not sure whose forum it was.

Written By: aja675 on 09/19/20 at 6:21 am

https://i.gifer.com/DZsi.gif
lGXc5jxeu3k

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/19/20 at 11:00 am

Of course this thread was created to be messy and start drama. I'm glad Sharksfan didn't take the bait though. If this thread were in my forum, I would lock it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/20 at 11:41 am

Of course this thread was created to be messy and start drama. I'm glad Sharksfan didn't take the bait though. If this thread were in my forum, I would lock it.

Well there was a thread not that long ago at “the other place” where various InThe00s posters were bashed, with people posting their opinions as to the quality of posts over here and in some cases the theorized handicaps of InThe00s-ers. Read the original post/poll here, you’ll see no such nonsense.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/19/20 at 12:05 pm

I frequent a little of both. Let's face it: both InThe00s and Popedia are not terribly active forums. For me, having just one ain't gonna cut it. That's why I prefer to have both.

Written By: fusefan on 09/19/20 at 7:32 pm

I hang out at both places.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/20 at 5:04 am

I hang out at both places.

I hang out here.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/20 at 6:12 am

I hang out here.

Me too.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/20 at 6:16 am

I hang out here.

It's the place to be!

Written By: nally on 09/20/20 at 3:03 pm

I hang out here.

It's the place to be!

Agreed!

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/20 at 7:06 pm

Popedia is for members only?

https://y.yarn.co/93ce3763-69bf-48e2-9b95-9949096d621f_screenshot.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/21/20 at 5:26 am

Popedia is for members only?

Yes, you apparently have to be a member.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/21/20 at 11:51 am

Who is Pope Dia?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/20 at 12:51 pm

Who is Pope Dia?  ???
An anagram of Popedia?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/21/20 at 1:14 pm

An anpagram of Popedia?

Oh, is that what it is?

I thought someone was starting up a new church or something. 

https://i.imgur.com/m9K8B28.jpg

;D ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/20 at 1:48 pm

Oh, is that what it is?

;D

Written By: Howard on 09/22/20 at 7:58 am

Oh, is that what it is?

https://i.imgur.com/m9K8B28.jpg

;D ;D ;D

LOL

Subject: InThe00s? Or Popedia?

Written By: Dude111 on 09/22/20 at 9:23 am

Definetly this site!!

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/22/20 at 1:04 pm

How could we even question it? This site of course!

Written By: Howard on 09/22/20 at 1:53 pm

Is Popedia the same as InThe00's?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/20 at 4:58 pm

Is Popedia the same as InThe00's?  ???

Maybe you can join over there and try it out.  :P

Written By: violet_shy on 09/22/20 at 6:15 pm

I find it hard to join any other pop culture site. We have pretty much covered every topic here! So why go anywhere else?

Plus, this online social community is the best!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/20 at 8:44 pm

Yes, you apparently have to be a member.

Who would sign up for something that you cannot see unless you are a member?  That's like giving your credit card number to a scam telemarketer lol

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/22/20 at 9:05 pm

I'll be honest, the fact that all of you are keeping this topic alive says more to me about the sad state of this forum more than anything. When a topic about another forum is one of the most active threads and regularly appearing in the "Recent Posts" tab on the forum homepage, you know something is seriously wrong there. This isn't some sort of competition. A moderator should have locked this topic days ago. I mean, this topic doesn't even relate to the sub-board that the thread is in (this doesn't seem like a "2020s pop culture" topic to me).

Let us do our own thing. The only thing we ask is for one of your members (LyricBoy) to stop directly stealing topics made on our forum. That's it.

Who would sign up for something that you cannot see unless you are a member?  That's like giving your credit card number to a scam telemarketer lol

If someone was directly copying and pasting something you made without crediting you for your work, wouldn't you want to do everything you could to protect it from being stolen?

Written By: Howard on 09/23/20 at 4:15 am

Maybe you can join over there and try it out.  :P

Maybe in the future, I've been on here for nearly 20 years. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/20 at 8:05 am

Maybe in the future, I've been on here for nearly 20 years. :)
Turncoat!  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/23/20 at 9:49 am

I'll be honest, the fact that all of you are keeping this topic alive says more to me about the sad state of this forum more than anything. When a topic about another forum is one of the most active threads and regularly appearing in the "Recent Posts" tab on the forum homepage, you know something is seriously wrong there. This isn't some sort of competition. A moderator should have locked this topic days ago. I mean, this topic doesn't even relate to the sub-board that the thread is in (this doesn't seem like a "2020s pop culture" topic to me).

Let us do our own thing. The only thing we ask is for one of your members (LyricBoy) to stop directly stealing topics made on our forum. That's it.

If someone was directly copying and pasting something you made without crediting you for your work, wouldn't you want to do everything you could to protect it from being stolen?

2 things: 1 If it aint copyrighted its fair game.  2 Once a statement is added to a debate it no longer belongs to the one who made it, it becomes "community property".

Get over it Sharksfan

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/20 at 4:00 pm

You keep saying that this thread should be locked. Why? It doesn't violate the rules. And it does relate to the the sub-board which relates to current events.

I happen to believe in free speech and as long as the rules are not violated, I leave threads open.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/23/20 at 5:52 pm

2 things: 1 If it aint copyrighted its fair game.  2 Once a statement is added to a debate it no longer belongs to the one who made it, it becomes "community property".

Get over it Sharksfan

Just because one board happens to post about a current event “first” does not grant it a monopoly on said event, preventing other culture/current event forums from discussing it. There are myriad links on the web referencing current events.

I’d challenge one to find multiple posts where “someone was directly copying and pasting something you made” verbatim with the same links to the root story and verbiage. Although I will openly admit that my launch of the “Is McDonalds Still Popular” (2010s forum) thread months ago was definitely a gag. Interestingly it still continues to get posts; hopefully the original thread sees that much action.

Am hoping that the other site has not already posted about the passing of Gale Sayers, lest I be accused of breaking the monopoly on that news story.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/23/20 at 7:18 pm

When I started in this thread, I was pretty evenly divided between the two forums, but I gotta say the responses I have seen here have my edging on favoring Popedia. Of course a forum post is not copyrighted (actually yes and no, but that's a state vs. federal law conversation for another lawyer), but I'm surprised no one else seems to think it is frankly a dick move to just nab content from someone else's website, especially when it is done specifically with the intent of taking the other person's content.

That really rubs me the wrong way, even as just a neutral observer, and if you guys are gonna back that sort of behavior then I don't really know what to say.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/23/20 at 7:30 pm

Get over it Sharksfan

In what way is it fair game? I don't go around the internet provoking others and stealing other people's topics. There's a difference between posting the same news article on multiple sites and blatantly stealing a topic almost word-for-word from the one forum on a daily basis. Not only could it potentially drive traffic away from our forum, but it's unfair and disrespectful. It's poor form.

I messaged your wife about this exact issue way back in January:

https://i.ibb.co/C8hNHVy/message.jpg

The fact that we're almost into October now and LyricBoy has been allowed to get away with it is ridiculous, something should have been done about it much sooner. I'm not in the wrong over any of this and neither are any of the members on my forum, so before you tell me to "get over it", maybe you should stop and consider the fact that there's a reason why we are having this discussion and why LyricBoy feels the need to 'defend' himself. Think of it this way; why would I be making any of this up? We didn't decide to restrict access to our forum for no reason.

You keep saying that this thread should be locked. Why? It doesn't violate the rules. And it does relate to the the sub-board which relates to current events.

I happen to believe in free speech and as long as the rules are not violated, I leave threads open.

It's clearly off-topic for starters. This sub-board is for discussion about 2020s pop-culture and current events that actually matter, like the upcoming US election or the Covid-19 pandemic; I never knew a thread about two random internet forums constituted a significant 'current event'. If that is the case, why does inthe00s have the "Tenacious Tuxedo Talk" sub-board? Obviously topics about whether "people still have family dinners" or "cuss at people" are no different and belong here too.

Free speech is all well and fine, however this thread was clearly created with the intention of causing drama and I would have thought that allowing a thread about a another forum to be one of the most participated threads on inthe00s would do more harm to the site than good.

There's a lot of evidence to back up what I am saying and here is an example of it that happened just a few days ago. John Titor created a fake news with the full intention that LyricBoy would repost the topic hours later on inthe00s. As it turned out, he did, which you can see in the second screenshot below.

https://i.ibb.co/ngmnKvj/September-18-2020-1.jpg https://i.ibb.co/n3LxP5J/September-18-2020-2.jpg

I really don't want this to continue any longer than it needs to, I would much rather see this all resolved. I'm also not suggesting that he shouldn't post news articles that have been shared over on Popedia, because i'll admit, it's unrealistic to think that it won't happen. It happens all over the internet. All I am asking is for him to stop reposting new threads made over on our forum onto inthe00s, it has been happening daily for months on end and it's blatantly obvious that it's not being done through any good intentions. It's really not that big of an ask.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/24/20 at 5:22 am

How can the example shown be considered “stealing” a thread?  The story you complain about had dozens of different articles on the web about it, going back to 2017 (google the appropriate terms and you’ll get pages of hits). In no way do the two posts you show as an example of a”thread theft” look like a cut and paste job.

Besides, even if I wanted to “steal a thread” from your forum, ever since you guys banned me (before I could even make a post to defend some InThe00s members who were being disparaged in a thread over there)  I was getting a “you have been banned from this forum” message, as it appears you embargoed my IP.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/20 at 7:25 am

Turncoat!  ;D

This here has been my home.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/24/20 at 11:52 pm

InThe00s because I don't know what Popedia is. Is that Personality Cafe rebranded? I heard of Personality Cafe but never wanted to join. Anyways this site makes us all feel nostalgic. Even the name itself makes us feel like we are still in the 00s and the fact that the nature of forums are a 2000s thing (now Reddit has replaced internet forums).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/25/20 at 3:11 am

I'll be honest, the fact that all of you are keeping this topic alive says more to me about the sad state of this forum more than anything. When a topic about another forum is one of the most active threads and regularly appearing in the "Recent Posts" tab on the forum homepage, you know something is seriously wrong there.

You may not realize it, but there is a big upside to this for you if you want to look at it that way. Your website is getting free publicity. LyricBoy may have started this thread to goof on Popedia but he also basically just gave you a free advertisement for it. Most of us here have never heard of Popedia until now and I'm sure that this thread has piqued the curiosity of more than a few members here.

I don't want to tell you how to run your website but I think it would be a good idea for you to consider dropping the membership requirement and instead allow guests in freely so they can look around and see what you're all about. You may just gain a few more new members over there. And when it comes right down to it, isn't growing your membership your main goal?

Get over it Sharksfan

Although I think SharksFan is being slightly whiny about this whole deal, I also think his complaints are valid. When you first log in to inthe00s.com, what does it say, right there on the logo? "Often imitated, never duplicated."

Yet if we have to poach topics from a competing messageboard in order to acquire fresh material, then it is us who are the imitators, not them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/25/20 at 5:20 am

You may not realize it, but there is a big upside to this for you if you want to look at it that way. Your website is getting free publicity. LyricBoy may have started this thread to goof on Popedia but he also basically just gave you a free advertisement for it. Most of us here have never heard of Popedia until now and I'm sure that this thread has piqued the curiosity of more than a few members here.

“Any publicity... is good publicity...”.  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/25/20 at 3:53 pm

“Any publicity... is good publicity...”.  ;)

Exactly.

Still though, what you did is kind of...weird.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...