inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So 2019 really foretold of what was to come in the 2020s

Written By: CarCar on 09/18/20 at 4:06 pm

It seems like this is such a cliche and predictable trend here that the last year of each decade always shows what is to come in the next decade. The case for the 2020s(the present) was 2019.

1). The Coronavirus was discovered towards the end of the year hence the name Covid-19. An omen to end the year. Not know to the general public until early 2020 but would greatly change the things drastically this year unknowingly how one discovery in 2019 could affect the new decade. 

2). Rappers such as Megan thee stallion and Dababy had breakouts this year

3). Euphoria becomes a hit and most likely define the early 2020s in terms of teen dramas.  Popular entertainment in general starts airing more and more on streaming services then TV

4). Long running shows that seemed to run forever start to air they’re final seasons this year such as the Big Bang theory and Modern Family

5). Apps such as Tik Tok become popular and while it seems to get banned this year it set a trend that other major apps such as Instagram will cease the opportunity to replace with they’re short clip videos like Instagram Reels

6). Fashion starts become more oversized again

7). Pop stars such Billie Ellish, Lil Nas X, Dua Lipa, The Weekend and former one direction members continue they’re popularity as they find they’re own sound into the 2020s

8. Superhero fatigue starts with Amazon Prime releases “The Boys” on Amazon Prime

I do miss the early 2010s when I was 14 and all I ever did was watch Castle or play PS3 and everyone else my age was busy watching Pretty Little Lairs, Glee, Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf and bad Twilight sequels

Subject: Re: So 2019 really foretold of what was to come in the 2020s

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/20 at 2:32 am

The year of 2019 showed no inclination towards what this year would be like, if we knew the authorities would have been preparing for the pandemic.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/20 at 4:00 am

It seems like this is such a cliche and predictable trend here that the last year of each decade always shows what is to come in the next decade. The case for the 2020s(the present) was 2019.

1). The Coronavirus was discovered towards the end of the year hence the name Covid-19. An omen to end the year

2). Rappers such as Megan thee stallion and Dababy had breakouts this year

3). Euphoria becomes a hit and most likely define the early 2020s in terms of teen dramas.  Popular entertainment in general starts airing more and more on streaming services then TV

4). Long tuning shows that seemed to run forever start to air they’re final seasons this year such as the Big Bang theory.

5). Apps such as Tik Tok become popular and while it seems to get banned this year it set a trend that other major apps such as Instagram will cease the opportunity to replace with they’re short clip videos Mx

6). Fashion starts become more oversized again

7). Pop stars such Billie Ellish, Lil Nas X, Dua Lipa, The Weekend and former one direction members continue they’re popularity as they find they’re own sound into the 2020s

I do miss the early 2010s when I was 14 and all I ever did was watch Castle or play PS3 and everyone else my age was busy watching Pretty Little Lairs, Glee, Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf and bad Twilight sequels

And I never knew the coronavirus was coming, had no idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/20 at 5:07 am

Nobody knew then.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/19/20 at 8:11 am

Also the Iran crisis officially began in May 2019 and is still ongoing, but the peak was just a few days before the new year to a few days after.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/19/20 at 10:39 am

Nobody knew then.
I first heard about it in the middle of January and thought it wasnt a big deal, oh how that didn't age well...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/20 at 10:45 am

I first heard about it in the middle of January and thought it wasnt a big deal, oh how that didn't age well...
I created the topic "Covid-19 (Coronavirus): Now a worldwide pandemic" on January 22nd 2020, not realising how it will tale prominence over the world, and personally the virus affected me from March 11th 2020.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/19/20 at 10:48 am

Also the Iran crisis officially began in May 2019 and is still ongoing, but the peak was just a few days before the new year to a few days after.

I'm showing my age, but when you say "Iran crisis" I immediately think of the Iran hostage crisis of 1979-81. It cost Jimmy Carter the election.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/20 at 11:12 am

I'm showing my age, but when you say "Iran crisis" I immediately think of the Iran hostage crisis of 1979-81. It cost Jimmy Carter the election.
That was what I was think, the Iran Crisis was a long time ago.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/19/20 at 11:17 am

It's also known as the Persian Gulf Crisis but that can also be confused with 1990-91 or the Iraq War of the Mid 2000's.

I created the topic "Covid-19 (Coronavirus): Now a worldwide pandemic" on January 22nd 2020, not realising how it will tale prominence over the world, and personally the virus affected me from March 11th 2020.

Yeah, I remember in January when there were only a few cases in the United States, mainly in California, Seattle, and New York. But then we saw the situation in Italy and how quickly it spreads, and knew that we were weeks away from that (only worse). It was like a hurricane coming towards us and little were we prepared.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/20 at 11:20 am

When I said the virus affected me, I did not have the virus itself, but it certainly changed my way of life.

Written By: nally on 09/19/20 at 11:32 am

When I said the virus affected me, I did not have the virus itself, but it certainly changed my way of life.

I think it has changed many people's way of life as well.

Written By: Sman12 on 09/20/20 at 5:06 am

Sadly, with the reasons you've included, I would say so. 2019 was pretty boring to me, but looking at it with the lens of the pandemic now, that year looks a lot better now. And yeah, a lot of artists that were rising in popularity in 2019 got their fame this year, so it seems likely that they'll define the early 2020s musical zeitgeist.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/20 at 5:07 am

Nobody knew then.

Did Nostradamus know?

Written By: Howard on 09/20/20 at 5:08 am

I think this pandemic wiped out the planet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/20 at 5:30 am

Did Nostradamus know?
He was only guessing at it.

Written By: CarCar on 09/20/20 at 4:07 pm

Well it popped up in 2019 and got news coverage in 2020. Is what I’m going by

Written By: CarCar on 09/20/20 at 4:10 pm

Sadly, with the reasons you've included, I would say so. 2019 was pretty boring to me, but looking at it with the lens of the pandemic now, that year looks a lot better now. And yeah, a lot of artists that were rising in popularity in 2019 got their fame this year, so it seems likely that they'll define the early 2020s musical zeitgeist.

Although the virus wasn’t know about like most people have said until earlier this year it was discovered towards the end of 2019 which to me marks the beginning of the early 2020s coronavirus pandemic considering It was a sign that would mark a shift in our culture. Basically it’s the equivalent of something being made in the previous year but being more popular(our in our case spreading) in the years to come.

Written By: Katluver on 09/24/20 at 6:13 pm

I remember hearing about the virus in January, but was just making a mental note not to visit China in the near future.  Never expected that it would become a pandemic. 

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/24/20 at 6:30 pm

I say that regardless of events, the last year of the previous decade will have the strongest prediction to how the next decade will start. Some of the music and shows of course. Plenty of civil and political unrest. And while covid isn’t flu, I saw schools closed more often for flu or even snow than any time I can remember. Everybody walking on eggshells because you can’t please everybody. Something like covid is all it took to show how damaged we already were.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/24/20 at 11:47 pm

Yeah pretty much. Though I didn't realize it at the time. There is no doubt in my mind the cultural '20s officially started in March of 2020.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/20 at 7:52 am

I remember hearing about the virus in January, but was just making a mental note not to visit China in the near future.  Never expected that it would become a pandemic.

I never thought so many people had died from this pandemic. :o  :(

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/25/20 at 2:03 pm

I never thought so many people had died from this pandemic. :o  :(
In fact, nobody died from it yet in the last day of 2019, it was really depressing to hear the first death in January 9th, and only got worse from there... From 1 to nearly a million (As of Sept. 25, 2020), wow...

Written By: APDCR1990 on 09/25/20 at 2:05 pm

Yeah pretty much. Though I didn't realize it at the time. There is no doubt in my mind the cultural '20s officially started in March of 2020.

I really don't know how you can say that. We're not even through the first year of the chronological 20s yet, never mind what the rest of the decade will be like. My prediction is that 2020 will be viewed as the year the 2010s crashed, similar to the 2000s in 2008. Culturally, it appears to be the beginning of a "gray" transitional period between the 2010s and what will become the 20s. We saw that in the somewhat blurry 2009-2010 period.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/25/20 at 3:54 pm

I really don't know how you can say that. We're not even through the first year of the chronological 20s yet, never mind what the rest of the decade will be like. My prediction is that 2020 will be viewed as the year the 2010s crashed, similar to the 2000s in 2008. Culturally, it appears to be the beginning of a "gray" transitional period between the 2010s and what will become the 20s. We saw that in the somewhat blurry 2009-2010 period.

How can you not say that? The effects of Covid-19 will last throughout the entire decade. Or you think the borrowed money will just magically reappear? This is the identity of the 2020s... And you better get used to it because there will probably be more horror on the way. Countries are being destroyed. The pandemic has done irreversible damage, this isn't a one year 2020 thing, this is the 2020s....

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/25/20 at 4:40 pm

How can you not say that? The effects of Covid-19 will last throughout the entire decade. Or you think the borrowed money will just magically reappear? This is the identity of the 2020s... And you better get used to it because there will probably be more horror on the way. Countries are being destroyed. The pandemic has done irreversible damage, this isn't a one year 2020 thing, this is the 2020s....

This.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 09/26/20 at 5:18 am

The economy doesn't always line up with "cultural decades or eras." It's one of several markers, but not always *the* marker. The culture of excess in the 80s didn't occur until several years into the decade. Most would say the 80s were more than just "excess" and culturally began before 1985. The 90s had two different economic situations between the early 90s and the mid/late 90s Dot.com boom. We also never truly recovered from 2008, which included a financial collapse.

Politically, we are in a 2016 rerun. Social media addiction via smartphones has not waned, which is arguably as culturally 10s as it could possibly get. We're genuinely in a crossroads year. It's not the crash itself that marks the beginning of a new era. It's the aftermath and how we respond to it. Currently, we're still in the middle of it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/26/20 at 7:52 am

The economy doesn't always line up with "cultural decades or eras." It's one of several markers, but not always *the* marker. The culture of excess in the 80s didn't occur until several years into the decade. Most would say the 80s were more than just "excess" and culturally began before 1985. The 90s had two different economic situations between the early 90s and the mid/late 90s Dot.com boom. We also never truly recovered from 2008, which included a financial collapse.

Politically, we are in a 2016 rerun. Social media addiction via smartphones has not waned, which is arguably as culturally 10s as it could possibly get. We're genuinely in a crossroads year. It's not the crash itself that marks the beginning of a new era. It's the aftermath and how we respond to it. Currently, we're still in the middle of it.

In some ways 2020 is a return to the Mid-2010's rather than a continuation of the Late 2010's. Police brutality and racial injustice is a major issue again, and therefore the BLM movement is active again. In the Late 2010's it was more about sexual harassment and the #MeToo movement, and mass shootings and the March For Our Lives movement. I always thought of 2016 as being like 2020 without the pandemic because of the polarized politics and divisions mainly fueled by social media. I remember 2016 especially in the summer and fall before the elections being very bleak, and people being filled with anger and hatred. The outcome of this election will determine how the next 4 years will be, but I don't think it's going to pretty either way.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/26/20 at 12:18 pm

It's not at all a return to the 2010s. It's a new decade. It feels like a new decade in every way, we are in the early 2020s right now in every way imaginable. Only more horror will come. The economy in the 2010s was nowhere near as bad as this. There was not a worldwide pandemic with regulations like social distancing, mask-wearing, and world lockdowns in the 2010s.... These are major, major changes that have consequences lasting years.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/20 at 3:39 pm

In fact, nobody died from it yet in the last day of 2019, it was really depressing to hear the first death in January 9th, and only got worse from there... From 1 to nearly a million (As of Sept. 25, 2020), wow...

In just the first couple of months, Holy S H I T!  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/26/20 at 3:41 pm

It's not at all a return to the 2010s. It's a new decade. It feels like a new decade in every way, we are in the early 2020s right now in every way imaginable. Only more horror will come. The economy in the 2010s was nowhere near as bad as this. There was not a worldwide pandemic with regulations like social distancing, mask-wearing, and world lockdowns in the 2010s.... These are major, major changes that have consequences lasting years.

This thing will be with us for a few years so stock up on the masks.

Written By: Katluver on 09/27/20 at 5:22 pm

Hard to predict what this decade will become, but I won't be surprised if it turns out to be a bleak period.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/27/20 at 9:03 pm

Hard to predict what this decade will become, but I won't be surprised if it turns out to be a bleak period.

2020 is already showing us what this decade will become.

Written By: Howard on 09/28/20 at 2:23 pm

I'm not going to give up hope, there is always gonna be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/30/20 at 3:21 pm

I came across this interesting article today about how things will probably never go back to normal as we knew in the pre-Corona days. It's better to just accept and come to terms with the new normal. It mentioned January as the last month that was like the good 'ol days but I'd put February there as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/30/health/back-to-normal-bias-wellness/index.html

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/30/20 at 3:50 pm

I came across this interesting article today about how things will probably never go back to normal as we knew in the pre-Corona days. It's better to just accept and come to terms with the new normal. It mentioned January as the last month that was like the good 'ol days but I'd put February there as well.

But try to convince the small but vocal minority here who insist we are in a "transitional" period because pop songs and rap songs don't sound different enough from last year. As if that's an indicator of anything anymore. It's outdated thinking. 2020s culture is here hook  line and sinker, ready or not.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/30/20 at 4:00 pm

But try to convince the small but vocal minority here who insist we are in a "transitional" period because pop songs and rap songs don't sound different enough from last year. As if that's an indicator of anything anymore. It's outdated thinking. 2020s culture is here hook  line and sinker, ready or not.

Exactly. Music is always changing and evolving year-by-year. It is not an indicator of being in another era, certainly not anymore. That's like 20th Century thinking lol. Even then, new eras always began with a big world event for example the Great Depression that kicked off the 1930s. Not whether or not Drake is still putting out hits in 2020 lol. He will probably do that for 10 years... It's such a weak argument to try to say we aren't in another era because of the music (even music I've noticed sounds pretty different this year, but that's besides the point). It is very, very clear the new era began with Covid and all of events of the 2020 decade will in someway relate to the consequences of Covid-19 that will have a long-term impact on this decade because it's not as if you can magically create money to pay off the worldwide debt we are having right now and a vaccine don't do that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/01/20 at 7:29 am

Exactly. Music is always changing and evolving year-by-year. It is not an indicator of being in another era, certainly not anymore. That's like 20th Century thinking lol. Even then, new eras always began with a big world event for example the Great Depression that kicked off the 1930s. Not whether or not Drake is still putting out hits in 2020 lol. He will probably do that for 10 years... It's such a weak argument to try to say we aren't in another era because of the music (even music I've noticed sounds pretty different this year, but that's besides the point). It is very, very clear the new era began with Covid and all of events of the 2020 decade will in someway relate to the consequences of Covid-19 that will have a long-term impact on this decade because it's not as if you can magically create money to pay off the worldwide debt we are having right now and a vaccine don't do that.

They are probably living in denial and don't want to accept the fact that nothing is the same. In a way I don't blame them, it's not the kind of change anyone wanted. The pandemic will leave all sorts of destruction and negative consequences in its path, not just economically but also violent crime like we've been seeing, and also people's mental health is at stake with a rise in depression, drug use, and suicides. People are not ok. Also social skills will be even further impaired especially with the younger generations with all the isolation and lack of interpersonal interaction.

If it had not been for the pandemic, I think 2021 would have been the more changeful/transitional year. If there's not a major life changing event, you can use things like music and other pop cultural styles and trends as a metric. Usually the political climate influences the pop culture and overall vibe, which is why it seems to coincide with presidential terms.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/20 at 3:14 pm

The "new normal" is something people will have to get used to whether they like it or not.

Written By: CarCar on 10/03/20 at 3:14 am

Musically we’re still in a Hip Hop/Trap and Pop music dominated world that doesn’t seem to distant from the 2000s or 2010s. Personally now, I feel that seeing the uniqueness of each decade always pops out when you contrast it to a decade of 50 or 100 years ago not 20 or 10 years ago. We’re still in a Trump world so we’re not so distant from the 2010s at all so I guess later in the decade will see how that pans out.

The 1920s was a Jazz and Country world, the 1970s a Soul and Funk world. The 2020s will be a Trap/Hip Hop and Pop world.

Check for new replies or respond here...