inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: KeyMe

Written By: Howard on 09/24/20 at 2:14 pm

For those who don't know what this is it's a instant key kiosk where in just 10-15 minutes you can get a key depending on the prices they range from a household key that's between $1.99-8.99 and other keys would most likely cost a bit more, all you do is stick the key into the slot, the kiosk will cut the key, measure it and in just about 10-15 minutes you will get your key. These kiosks only accept credit cards, no cash payment, I tried the new key when I got home and lo and behold it definitely works, so for those who have one in your area how was your experience with them?

https://assets1.csnews.com/files/styles/content_md/s3/2017-10/KeyMe_Kiosk-TEASER.jpg?itok=TSLMqaU7

Subject: Re: KeyMe

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/20 at 2:50 pm

Sorry, I do not trust these key kiosks, for I someone has in their possession a key belong to someone else, a copy can be cut without the owner knowing and illegal entry can be gained.

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/24/20 at 3:43 pm

I saw one downstate. I’d rather have my keys done locally. They’re good at it, and can even craft the key a little differently to make up for a lot of wear.  They’ll try a few more takes if needed to make sure it actually works.  But if it’s a nearly new key it always works.

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Was like hey somebody can copy one of those keys that says do not copy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/24/20 at 5:57 pm

I would not trust it. Possibly the machine could be hacked so the hacker now has an image of your key and your credit card... finds out your home address... and then he jacks your stuff when you’re not home.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/25/20 at 7:55 am

Sorry, I do not trust these key kiosks, for I someone has in their possession a key belong to someone else, a copy can be cut without the owner knowing and illegal entry can be gained.

I think I'll do it just one time and that's about it.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/20 at 8:01 am

I would not trust it. Possibly the machine could be hacked so the hacker now has an image of your key and your credit card... finds out your home address... and then he jacks your stuff when you’re not home.  :o

This is why I'll probably do it just one time and that's about it, someone could hack into the machine in the store and get the credit card information from other people's credit cards, I just needed a new key made up and I didn't feel like going to a hardware store so I needed something quick and fast so those kiosks were the quickest thing for me, some kiosks in general cannot be trusted.

Check for new replies or respond here...