inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jet suit paramedic tested 'could save lives'

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/20 at 12:38 pm

A jet suit for paramedics which would see patients reached in minutes by a "flying" medic has been tested by the Great North Air Ambulance Service. After a year of talks between GNAAS and Gravity Industries, a first test flight was carried out in the Lake District. Andy Mawson, director of operations at GNAAS, came up with the idea and described seeing it as "awesome". He said it meant a paramedic could "fly" to a fell top in 90 seconds rather than taking 30 minutes on foot. Mr Mawson said: "There are dozens of patients every month within the complex but relatively small geographical footprint of the Lakes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54331994

Subject: Re: Jet suit paramedic tested 'could save lives'

Written By: karen on 09/30/20 at 4:37 am

I was going to flag this up to my niece, but I don’t think it will be as useful in Norfolk where she is a paramedic

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/20 at 5:03 am

I was going to flag this up to my niece, but I don’t think it will be as useful in Norfolk where she is a paramedic
I can see the potential for crossing the flat lands of the Norfolk Broads much quicker and easier than a helicopter.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/20 at 5:25 am

I can see the potential for crossing the flat lands of the Norfolk Broads much quicker and easier than a helicopter.

One problem is that the pack only gives you 5 minutes of flying time. Which means you can only be, say, 2 minutes of flying time from your destination so that you can get back.

Written By: Elor on 09/30/20 at 10:27 am

One problem is that the pack only gives you 5 minutes of flying time. Which means you can only be, say, 2 minutes of flying time from your destination so that you can get back.
You don't need to fly back. Once a patient is stabilized the normal evacuation procedure begins (the paramedic doesn't fly out the patient after all). With regular forces on the ground the jet pack can be recovered just as the patient. The only advantage is to get the first responder to the patient quicker which might be the difference between life and death.

Written By: karen on 09/30/20 at 3:08 pm

I don’t think it would be any better than a helicopter there. It is definitely more useful in the hills as the helicopter generally lands in the valley and then they have to hike up. Obviously sometimes the paramedic can jump out without the helicopter completely landing.

Check for new replies or respond here...