inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Plastic plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds ban in England comes into force

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/20 at 2:12 am

A ban on single-use plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds has come into force in England. The measure, originally due to start in April, makes it illegal for businesses to sell or supply the items. People in England use an estimated 4.7 billion plastic straws, 316 million plastic stirrers and 1.8 billion plastic-stemmed cotton buds each year. Environmental campaigners welcomed the ban but called for a crackdown on further single-use items. An exemption will allow hospitals, bars and restaurants to provide plastic straws to people with disabilities or medical conditions that require them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54366461

Subject: Re: Plastic plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds ban in England comes into force

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/20 at 9:33 am

A ban on single-use plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds has come into force in England. The measure, originally due to start in April, makes it illegal for businesses to sell or supply the items. People in England use an estimated 4.7 billion plastic straws, 316 million plastic stirrers and 1.8 billion plastic-stemmed cotton buds each year. Environmental campaigners welcomed the ban but called for a crackdown on further single-use items. An exemption will allow hospitals, bars and restaurants to provide plastic straws to people with disabilities or medical conditions that require them.

We have a similar ban in VT.  Our also includes plastic store bags, which we reuse as trash bags because I have an aversion to buying something (plastic trash bags) with the explicit purpose of throwing it away - Cat calls me "cheap", I call it frugal   

Subject: Re: Plastic plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds ban in England comes into force

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/01/20 at 9:43 am

We have a similar ban in VT.  Our also includes plastic store bags, which we reuse as trash bags because I have an aversion to buying something (plastic trash bags) with the explicit purpose of throwing it away - Cat calls me "cheap", I call it frugal 

I use all my wood pellet bags for trash and for recyclables. The bags themselves are recyclable so I can just toss them in the bin.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/20 at 3:09 pm

Wasn't this ban supposed to go in effect in New York?

Check for new replies or respond here...