inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If the Coronavirus didn't happen would 2020 have been a great year?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/03/20 at 8:11 am

Of course this is a big "what if" and you can't change what happened, but imagine if the Coronavirus didn't happen or at least didn't spread like it did, I think this year had potential to be something great. There's a lot of good music, and in addition many movies would have released on time like Top Gun 2, the new Wonderwoman, 007, FF9, etc. The Tokyo Olympics would have happened as well. Of course the elections would still have people with polarized views, but that's every year although it peaks during election years. Every year has a few natural disasters and celebrity deaths, those are inevitable. I'm not sure if the George Floyd incident would have occurred, but if it did I'm not sure if the response would have been the same. The pandemic and lockdowns could have affected people's emotional state. It also impacted the economy even though economics were predicting a recession in 2020 even last year before the pandemic. As for my personal life, we could in theory have still taken a road trip across country even though it is risky and some things might have been closed. It's not necessary COVID but my wife's work schedule which was why we couldn't take a long vacation, at least during the summer months.

Subject: Re: If the Coronavirus didn't happen would 2020 have been a great year?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/20 at 8:20 am

Simply putting it, many people would still be with us, and others still at work, traveling would be no problem, and people would be still meeting people. Missed this not only the Olympics but other sporting events would have taken place with spectators.

Personally, we had plan a grand family holiday to celebrate a milestone birthday, but our trip across the big pond never happened.

....and I would still be babysitting.

Subject: Re: If the Coronavirus didn't happen would 2020 have been a great year?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/20 at 8:29 am

Isn't it kind of tone deaf to release a "Top Gun 2" in today's political climate (irrespective of the pandemic)?  The original "Top Gun" was part and parcel of the jingoistic 1980s Reagan era. Unless they alter the tone of the first movie DRASTICALLY, and I mean DRASTICALLY for the second one (which basically negates the entire reason for it in the first place), I don't see how a "Top Gun 2" fits into today's zeitgeist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/20 at 8:32 am

The latest James Bond movie "No Time To Die" would have is release back in April, and now has been set for April next year.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/20 at 3:11 pm

Of course this is a big "what if" and you can't change what happened, but imagine if the Coronavirus didn't happen or at least didn't spread like it did, I think this year had potential to be something great. There's a lot of good music, and in addition many movies would have released on time like Top Gun 2, the new Wonderwoman, 007, FF9, etc. The Tokyo Olympics would have happened as well. Of course the elections would still have people with polarized views, but that's every year although it peaks during election years. Every year has a few natural disasters and celebrity deaths, those are inevitable. I'm not sure if the George Floyd incident would have occurred, but if it did I'm not sure if the response would have been the same. The pandemic and lockdowns could have affected people's emotional state. It also impacted the economy even though economics were predicting a recession in 2020 even last year before the pandemic. As for my personal life, we could in theory have still taken a road trip across country even though it is risky and some things might have been closed. It's not necessary COVID but my wife's work schedule which was why we couldn't take a long vacation, at least during the summer months.

I am wondering the same thing if the pandemic hadn't happened, would we still have to wear the masks and do social distancing, most likely no and 2020 would've went on to be a good year.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/03/20 at 4:31 pm

It would have been a good year I think. But regardless it would still be an election year, therefore our business always slows down.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/20 at 4:37 pm

It would have been a good year I think. But regardless it would still be an election year, therefore our business always slows down.

How does an election year slow down your business?  ???

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/03/20 at 4:50 pm

How does an election year slow down your business?  ???

Uncertainty in the industry. People designing and financing and permitting big projects. I work for the bulk material loading industry. Nobody knows what’s going to happen with interest rates, or EPA rules, or if certain industries are likely to be shut down. I’ve been there almost 22 years and it’s always been that way. Others have been there since the early 80s and they say the same thing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/20 at 5:01 am

Since lockdown had started I have been reflecting on another viewpoint, how would the pandemic affect my previous employment positions over the last 40 years, would I had been furloughed, stay on etc?

Written By: Howard on 10/04/20 at 1:40 pm

I think you wouldn't see so many deaths.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/20 at 7:27 am

I think you wouldn't see so many deaths.
Exactly, many people would had been saved.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/20 at 1:52 pm

Exactly, many people would had been saved.

And we would go on living our lives.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 4:42 am

And we would go on living our lives.
I am building up a list of things to do and places I wish to visit, and the list is getting longer. I fear at the moment I cannot do any of them.

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 10/07/20 at 8:48 am

We would still have George Floyd, so not really...

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/07/20 at 1:11 pm

We would still have George Floyd, so not really...

Not necessarily. For all we know he may have not been under the circumstances in which he would have felt the need to use a counterfeit bill. He might have not even been at that store at that exact moment in time to buy a pack of cigarettes. He may have not even needed to smoke if not for COVID and all the stress it was causing. Like the Butterfly Effect, if COVID didn't happen, it could have changed the entire sequence of events that led to George Floyd crossing paths with Derek Chauvin and his subsequent death.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/20 at 3:32 pm

Not necessarily. For all we know he may have not been under the circumstances in which he would have felt the need to use a counterfeit bill. He might have not even been at that store at that exact moment in time to buy a pack of cigarettes. He may have not even needed to smoke if not for COVID and all the stress it was causing. Like the Butterfly Effect, if COVID didn't happen, it could have changed the entire sequence of events that led to George Floyd crossing paths with Derek Chauvin and his subsequent death.

Didn't he know the difference between a counterfeit bill and a regular one?

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/07/20 at 3:39 pm

I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference unless say it was on printer paper or something comical. I’m not a professional in that department and I don’t feel most people should have to be. I don’t keep much cash so I could probably tell you where every bill in my wallet came from.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/20 at 4:18 pm

I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference unless say it was on printer paper or something comical. I’m not a professional in that department and I don’t feel most people should have to be. I don’t keep much cash so I could probably tell you where every bill in my wallet came from.

Last year I didn't know I gave the cashier when I was ordering food a counterfeit bill, I apologized and left the place.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/08/20 at 2:57 pm

Isn't it kind of tone deaf to release a "Top Gun 2" in today's political climate (irrespective of the pandemic)?  The original "Top Gun" was part and parcel of the jingoistic 1980s Reagan era. Unless they alter the tone of the first movie DRASTICALLY, and I mean DRASTICALLY for the second one (which basically negates the entire reason for it in the first place), I don't see how a "Top Gun 2" fits into today's zeitgeist.

When the film first went into production it was early on in the Trump era which was considered reminiscent of the Reagan era, an era of patriotism and confidence in a strong leader. It could be why nostalgia for that era is back, even before the pandemic. That's the one thing I didn't care for was all the propaganda of American exceptionalism which is still on the hearts and minds of especially us Gen X-ers who were kids during that era. Back then the mindset was you're either living in America where it's free, or you're living in communist Russia.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/10/20 at 2:28 pm

It would've been, I know this isn't related but I doubt the George Floyd protests wouldn't have happened either as the world would be full of positive vibes. Hyped movies like John Wick 4 and  James Bond would've been released, Cyberpunk 2077 would've been released, the PS5 and Xbox Series X would've been released by now, Coachella and the Olympics would've happened, everything would've been normal.

Written By: Sman12 on 10/10/20 at 9:06 pm

It would've been, I know this isn't related but I doubt the George Floyd protests wouldn't have happened either as the world would be full of positive vibes. Hyped movies like John Wick 4 and  James Bond would've been released, Cyberpunk 2077 would've been released, the PS5 and Xbox Series X would've been released by now, Coachella and the Olympics would've happened, everything would've been normal.

I bet in another alternate universe, people are enjoying themselves now.  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 9:16 pm

I bet in another alternate universe, people are enjoying themselves now.  :-\\

An alternate quantum, maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/11/20 at 7:43 am

I think PS5 and the new Xbox were always planned to be released in Q4. They usually get released in November right before the holiday season. The Nintendo Switch in March 2017 was a unique exception. Anyhow, the interruption of order in the universe is causing the future years to be out of alignment as well. Many 2021 films like The Batman and Jurassic World 3 have been pushed to 2022.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/20 at 2:09 pm

Businesses wouldn't have to shutdown.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/20 at 4:24 am

Businesses wouldn't have to shutdown.
Hopefully, after the vaccine has been administered, businesses could open up?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/10/20 at 7:38 am

If the pandemic didn't happen, 2020 could have been a feel good year with a booming economy resulting in Trump getting reelected. Ironically it would have worked out for the opposite in the end either way.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/20 at 3:20 pm

Hopefully, after the vaccine has been administered, businesses could open up?

I certainly hope so.

Written By: 2001 on 11/10/20 at 3:34 pm

I doubt it. I worked as a cashier when I was a kid and I just gave large bills to someone else who checked whether it was counterfeit. I couldn't tell and didn't really care to know. I don't even think there was a way to know, I'm pretty sure he was faking it like palm reading lol.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/20 at 2:21 pm

We can scroll down to January 2020's posts and see.

Subject: If the Coronavirus didn't happen would 2020 have been a great year?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/19/20 at 10:18 pm

If the Coronavirus didn't happen would 2020 have been a great year?

It would have continued from last year.... CRAP!!

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/20/20 at 3:00 pm

It would have continued from last year.... CRAP!!

I think it would have been like an improved version of 2019, as how most summer Olympics years are supposed to be. But of course since the Olympics themselves were cancelled so technically it's not classified as such. Still was a leap year though, got to enjoy an extra day of it, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...