inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s, 90s nostalgia in 2020

Written By: violet_shy on 10/15/20 at 11:05 pm

I can definitely understand why there is all this nostalgia and people bringing back fads from previous decades. I mean, this year has been quite a stressful year with so much negativity going on in the world. This horrible pandemic taking people's lives so quickly...it's traumatic for me and maybe for others as well. I think 2020 is the year of nostalgia.

I find that people want to relive happier times and bring back fads like music and fashion from their happier days. And even people who weren't around during the 90s or 80s...or before. I'm all for it! If it makes people happy during such dark times, then it's more than a good thing.

I just hope the 2020s will develope it's own identity in the years to come because we do need to see changes in our culture. I know the 80s were a fun time but 2022 can be as well with new innovations and fads that define it.

Subject: Re: 80s, 90s nostalgia in 2020

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/20 at 11:50 pm

The way people just wholesale plagiarize 90s fashion shocks me. I get flashacks of childhood memories I didn't even know I had when I walk down the street these days. ;D

I know the 2010s were accused of copying the 90s, but other than plaid patterns and jean jackets (which were a 70s revival in the 90s anyway) there wasn't really much else. Things like skinny jeans, yoga pants, Uggs, stylized beards, manbuns etc. are uniquely 2010s. I'm sure you could find someone from 1983 or whenever who fits that description, but those things will be identified with the 2010s in the end.

With 2020, you could seriously play a game of  "1998 or 2020?" and other than face masks (and white tennis shoes) I think it would be challenging. Kids these days dress identically to how me and my friends, cousins, younger aunts and uncles etc. dressed circa 1998-2000, the resemblance is uncanny.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/16/20 at 8:57 am

I can definitely understand why there is all this nostalgia and people bringing back fads from previous decades. I mean, this year has been quite a stressful year with so much negativity going on in the world. This horrible pandemic taking people's lives so quickly...it's traumatic for me and maybe for others as well. I think 2020 is the year of nostalgia.

I find that people want to relive happier times and bring back fads like music and fashion from their happier days. And even people who weren't around during the 90s or 80s...or before. I'm all for it! If it makes people happy during such dark times, then it's more than a good thing.

I just hope the 2020s will develope it's own identity in the years to come because we do need to see changes in our culture. I know the 80s were a fun time but 2022 can be as well with new innovations and fads that define it.

It reminds me of the real life version of the movie "Ready Player One" where people were living in a virtual world and listening to mostly 1980's music, because their reality was very dystopian. It was a good movie, btw. There's even 2000's nostalgia as even that decade was much better looking back. I think 2020 would have been a fun year if it hadn't been for the pandemic and more remembered for its own unique style in addition to being retro.

The way people just wholesale plagiarize 90s fashion shocks me. I get flashacks of childhood memories I didn't even know I had when I walk down the street these days. ;D

I know the 2010s were accused of copying the 90s, but other than plaid patterns and jean jackets (which were a 70s revival in the 90s anyway) there wasn't really much else. Things like skinny jeans, yoga pants, Uggs, stylized beards, manbuns etc. are uniquely 2010s. I'm sure you could find someone from 1983 or whenever who fits that description, but those things will be identified with the 2010s in the end.

With 2020, you could seriously play a game of  "1998 or 2020?" and other than face masks (and white tennis shoes) I think it would be challenging. Kids these days dress identically to how me and my friends, cousins, younger aunts and uncles etc. dressed circa 1998-2000, the resemblance is uncanny.

Uggs was actually 2000's. I remember them becoming popular in the Mid-00's in MySpace pics.

Written By: Sman12 on 10/16/20 at 12:23 pm

I also don't mind the onslaught of nostalgia from decades past in a crappy year like this. "Blinding Lights" is my favorite song of 2020, and it's an 80s synthpop throwback.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/16/20 at 5:45 pm

I also don't mind the onslaught of nostalgia from decades past in a crappy year like this. "Blinding Lights" is my favorite song of 2020, and it's an 80s synthpop throwback.

I enjoy listening to it as well. It's a beautiful throwback...it sounds very 80s.  :)

Written By: robby76 on 10/19/20 at 9:13 am

Charlie Puth also loves his throwback vibes for 2020!

The track definitely has that George Benson "On Broadway" hook.

asYfhMHAgqs

Written By: violet_shy on 10/19/20 at 5:21 pm

Charlie Puth also loves his throwback vibes for 2020!

The track definitely has that George Benson "On Broadway" hook.

asYfhMHAgqs

It does! And this is off topic, but I just love Charlie Puth!

Written By: robby76 on 10/20/20 at 10:33 am

It does! And this is off topic, but I just love Charlie Puth!

Me too! He's the only current artist that I've added to my itunes in the last 2 years lol. I also love "Attention" and "How Long"... but that's also off topic lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/21/20 at 12:47 am

I like Binding Lights and Midnight Sky.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/21/20 at 12:48 am

I enjoy the nostalgia in 2020 as well. '80s nostalgia is really big still on its third wave.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/21 at 8:29 am

it's more 1970s for me!

Check for new replies or respond here...