inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tab, We Hardly Knew Ye...

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/20 at 5:52 pm

The Coca Cola Company has announced that at the end of the year, they will be pulling its Tab diet drink from market shelves.  :\'(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/business/tab-soda-discontinued-coca-cola/index.html

Tab was the granddaddy of diet drinks from the Coca Cola Company. When it first came out in my area, me and my brothers used to scarf that stuff down.  8)

Subject: Re: Tab, We Hardly Knew Ye...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/16/20 at 6:34 pm

The Coca Cola Company has announced that at the end of the year, they will be pulling its Tab diet drink from market shelves.  :\'(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/business/tab-soda-discontinued-coca-cola/index.html

Tab was the granddaddy of diet drinks from the Coca Cola Company. When it first came out in my area, me and my brothers used to scarf that stuff down.  8)

I wasn't even aware Tab was still around. It was THE original diet soft drink. Diet Coke killed off Tab's popularity which is strange, because they were both made by the same company.  Of course, Tab features prominently in a joke in the original "Back To the Future" movie.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/16/20 at 6:34 pm

I never tried it. I just remember my aunt drinking it when I was 5. She was young and trying to lose weight. I never knew anyone else to drink it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/16/20 at 6:42 pm

Another interesting fact that would seem jarring to the modern person is that when Tab was first introduced in 1963 it was marketed basically as a product for women. Hence the distinctive plink can. It was believed that women would be interested in a diet drink, but not men.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/20 at 6:45 pm

I never tried it. I just remember my aunt drinking it when I was 5. She was young and trying to lose weight. I never knew anyone else to drink it.

Hopefully some other company picks up the brand.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/20 at 3:59 am

I've had it and I wasn't crazy about the taste of the soda.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/17/20 at 9:10 am

I've had it and I wasn't crazy about the taste of the soda.

Tab was awesome. I haven’t had any in many years. I wonder if they messed with the formula? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/17/20 at 9:55 am

Tab was awesome. I haven’t had any in many years. I wonder if they messed with the formula? ???

Yes they did. I came across some in a supermarket a while back and couldn't believe it. I felt like I was in a time warp. I bought it, but when I tasted it it was unrecognizable from what I used to know. It was awful.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/17/20 at 3:34 pm

My mom use to drink Tab when I was growing up. I remember the cans and the flavour. It wasn't as good as Coke is. Still, it wasn't bad.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/20 at 3:06 pm

Yes they did. I came across some in a supermarket a while back and couldn't believe it. I felt like I was in a time warp. I bought it, but when I tasted it it was unrecognizable from what I used to know. It was awful.

What did it taste like?

Check for new replies or respond here...