inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Apple Music launches a TV channel for music videos

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/19/20 at 11:39 am

Isn't this kind of outdated? Music videos, and especially pre-programmed music videos, are so old hat. People don't want to be force fed that kind of thing anymore in today's on-demand culture.  Youtube, TikTok etc have freed up that old format into something else. This is like MTV 1985.

Apple Music launches a TV channel for music videos

www.theverge.com/2020/10/19/21523091/apple-music-videos-tv-channel-live-stream

Subject: Re: Apple Music launches a TV channel for music videos

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/19/20 at 11:52 am

I think it would be kinda nice. Having things available on demand is nice, but often I prefer to let somebody else do the thinking for me and all I have to do is watch or listen. That’s the best way to discover something I didn’t know about, or hear good stuff I forgot about. And if I don’t like it I can always turn it off.

Written By: 2001 on 10/19/20 at 12:03 pm

Sounds very low effort tbh. I think if they make a buck or two out of this they'll be happy.

I think it would be kinda nice. Having things available on demand is nice, but often I prefer to let somebody else do the thinking for me and all I have to do is watch or listen. That’s the best way to discover something I didn’t know about, or hear good stuff I forgot about. And if I don’t like it I can always turn it off.

You can accomplish the same thing with YouTube though. Just keep auto-play on and it will keep playing new videos.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/19/20 at 12:07 pm

You have such a Zen way of looking at things.  8)

Written By: violet_shy on 10/19/20 at 3:17 pm

But we can watch them on YouTube.  :(

Looks to me like they're trying to do what MTV did back in 1981. This brings me back to my thread about 80s and 90s nostalgia in 2020. But do people really want to watch music videos anymore? Plus we have music videos on YouTube.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/20 at 3:21 pm

Sounds very low effort tbh. I think if they make a buck or two out of this they'll be happy.

You can accomplish the same thing with YouTube though. Just keep auto-play on and it will keep playing new videos.

There's also YouTube TV.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/20 at 3:22 pm

But we can watch them on YouTube.  :(

Looks to me like they're trying to do what MTV did back in 1981. This brings me back to my thread about 80s and 90s nostalgia in 2020. But do people really want to watch music videos anymore? Plus we have music videos on YouTube.

And there's also plenty of internet radio stations at your demand too.

Check for new replies or respond here...