inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tokyo Olympics: Russian hackers targeted Games, UK says

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 7:48 am

Russian hackers targeted this year's Olympic Games in Tokyo with the aim of disrupting them, UK officials said. The Foreign Office said Russia's GRU military intelligence carried out "cyber reconnaissance" against officials and organisations involved. The alleged attacks took place before the Games were postponed until 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Officials did not, however, specify the nature or extent of the cyber-attacks in detail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54600098

Subject: Re: Tokyo Olympics: Russian hackers targeted Games, UK says

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/20/20 at 9:45 am

Russian hackers targeted this year's Olympic Games in Tokyo with the aim of disrupting them, UK officials said. The Foreign Office said Russia's GRU military intelligence carried out "cyber reconnaissance" against officials and organisations involved. The alleged attacks took place before the Games were postponed until 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Officials did not, however, specify the nature or extent of the cyber-attacks in detail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54600098

The Olympics? Why?  Oh yea, anything to disrupt democracies

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 9:46 am

The Olympics? Why?  Oh yea, anything to disrupt democracies
To win more gold medals?

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/20/20 at 10:00 am

To win more gold medals?

I’m wondering how do you hack the olympics? Besides hacking into records. Beam a signal to make people perform better or worse? Pull a Max Headroom?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 10:03 am

I’m wondering how do you hack the olympics? Besides hacking into records. Beam a signal to make people perform better or worse? Pull a Max Headroom?
To flicker light in the athletes eyes, temporary blinding them?

Written By: Elor on 10/20/20 at 10:19 am

For example by disrupting communications. Making it impossible to organize and run the whole thing. I'm a bit confused though as to why they would do that. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 10:21 am

For example by disrupting communications. Making it impossible to organize and run the whole thing. I'm a bit confused though as to why they would do that. ???
There again, it may hamper there own chances for a medal?

Written By: wixness on 10/20/20 at 10:27 am

Simply because the Russian regime is just a(nother) fascist empire.

Written By: Elor on 10/20/20 at 12:45 pm

Or maybe they wanted to know in advance which athletes would be tested for illegal doping....That would at least make sense. :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 12:49 pm

Or maybe they wanted to know in advance which athletes would be tested for illegal doping....That would at least make sense. :-X
...or in a way to fix the testing results?

Check for new replies or respond here...