inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: More on Vit D and Covid Chance Reduction

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/12/20 at 2:32 pm

More than a dozen studies are now testing vitamin D directly for prevention and treatment, including a large one led by JoAnn Manson, a leading expert on vitamin D and an epidemiologist and preventive medicine physician at Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston. That study will analyze if vitamin D can affect the course of a COVID-19 infection. The trial aims to recruit 2,700 people across the United States with newly diagnosed infections, along with their close household contacts. High doses of vitamin D — 3,200 IU per day — are less likely than people who get a placebo to experience severe symptoms and need hospitalization. “The biological plausibility for a benefit in COVID is compelling,” she says, given the nutrient’s theoretical ability to impede the severe inflammatory reaction that can follow coronavirus infection.

"No conclusions have been reached at this time" since the study is ongoing.

Personally I continue to take 5K and some days 10K of D3 and K2.  Have been for years...

Subject: Re: More on Vit D and Covid Chance Reduction

Written By: Howard on 11/15/20 at 1:42 pm

What about Vitamin C?  ???

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/15/20 at 1:53 pm

Howard, I have posted so  many times what is the best for immune systems.

Vit C, Vit D, Zinc and Grape Seed Extract (which is my personal longtime favorite)

Written By: Howard on 11/15/20 at 2:07 pm

Howard, I have posted so  many times what is the best for immune systems.

Vit C, Vit D, Zinc and Grape Seed Extract (which is my personal longtime favorite)

https://images.vitaminimages.com/pp/VF/puritanspride/product_images/product_detail/019465.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in my supermarket.

Written By: 2001 on 11/15/20 at 2:33 pm

I hope it helps them. One cool thing about this pandemic is how much scientists are learning about immunology and epidemiology.

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/15/20 at 2:36 pm

https://images.vitaminimages.com/pp/VF/puritanspride/product_images/product_detail/019465.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in my supermarket.

Grape Seed Ex is sold in so many places, just don't buy into the  lowest/cheapest quality.....

Even Trader Joe's has been selling it for years, and Costco also.  Drug stores,  heath food stores, on line, etc  etc....

Written By: Howard on 11/16/20 at 8:12 am

Grape Seed Ex is sold in so many places, just don't buy into the  lowest/cheapest quality.....

Even Trader Joe's has been selling it for years, and Costco also.  Drug stores,  heath food stores, on line, etc  etc....

What about Stop N Shop?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/20 at 8:01 am

Costco is wholesale only, no everyone can shop there.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/20 at 2:16 pm

I forgot the last time I visited a Health Food place.

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/18/20 at 12:59 pm

Howard, shop around,  drug stores, markets...many  many sell it.  Online from amazon and ebay and supplement companies.....

Or forget the whole issue and do nothing new for  your health.  I started taking it at 57  and maybe you will then too....reason for 57, it was NOT in the U.S. until I was that age.....

Written By: Howard on 11/18/20 at 2:28 pm

Howard, shop around,  drug stores, markets...many  many sell it.  Online from amazon and ebay and supplement companies.....

Or forget the whole issue and do nothing new for  your health.  I started taking it at 57  and maybe you will then too....reason for 57, it was NOT in the U.S. until I was that age.....

Well I'm not 57 I will be 47 in March so I will look into it when I get a chance.

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/18/20 at 2:32 pm

Well I'm not 57 I will be 47 in March so I will look into it when I get a chance.

Yes go at your pace....

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/18/20 at 2:58 pm

You can if you get a membership. We have two in our city, and they're awesome.

Perhaps you ought to look into joining up, it's totally worth it. They have lots of great deals there.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/18/20 at 3:01 pm

More than a dozen studies are now testing vitamin D directly for prevention and treatment, including a large one led by JoAnn Manson, a leading expert on vitamin D and an epidemiologist and preventive medicine physician at Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston. That study will analyze if vitamin D can affect the course of a COVID-19 infection. The trial aims to recruit 2,700 people across the United States with newly diagnosed infections, along with their close household contacts. High doses of vitamin D — 3,200 IU per day — are less likely than people who get a placebo to experience severe symptoms and need hospitalization. “The biological plausibility for a benefit in COVID is compelling,” she says, given the nutrient’s theoretical ability to impede the severe inflammatory reaction that can follow coronavirus infection.

"No conclusions have been reached at this time" since the study is ongoing.

Personally I continue to take 5K and some days 10K of D3 and K2.  Have been for years...

Thank you for posting this information. It seems like all we're being told is that we need to stay inside and wear masks, and not nearly enough information is being put out about strengthening our immune systems.

I've been taking extra Vitamin C and just started taking Vitamin D since the winter months are about to begin and I won't be getting nearly as much exposure to sunlight (I spend the majority of my days working outside).

I haven't heard about grape seed extract though, I'll definitely do more research on it.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/20 at 3:11 pm

Yes go at your pace....

Thanks.

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/18/20 at 3:46 pm

Thank you for posting this information. It seems like all we're being told is that we need to stay inside and wear masks, and not nearly enough information is being put out about strengthening our immune systems.

I've been taking extra Vitamin C and just started taking Vitamin D since the winter months are about to begin and I won't be getting nearly as much exposure to sunlight (I spend the majority of my days working outside).

I haven't heard about grape seed extract though, I'll definitely do more research on it.

No you have  not heard of Grape Seed Extract if you are NOT into the alternative healing world...and mainstream media does not have it splashed all over their  money making tv drug ads.....

And for Costco, I  never joined  as I don't  need to buy in volume...people spend $100's on stuff and I don't need that.....I can get good deals on stuff at my market and often CVS...

The pharmacy on the other hand one does NOT have to be a member....and their prices  can be a good savings.... 

Subject: Is honey beneficial?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/20 at 9:49 am

Is honey beneficial?

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/23/20 at 3:21 pm

On Vit D and Zinc and Covid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvRR_y5i-k

Too much good smart inexpensive info here....

On Vit D alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxtddpoPMKo

Written By: Howard on 11/29/20 at 1:38 pm

Can Vitamin C help too?  ???

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/29/20 at 3:35 pm

Can Vitamin C help too?  ???

Yes yes yes...

I've posted so many times, Vit C, Vit D, Zinc and Grape Seed Extract (this has been in my life for yrs).....

I figure for about 50-75cents daily, folks can get and keep healthier with at least the first 3 I've posted..  I don't believe in buying the cheapest quality supplements...

Subject: PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!! Covid and vitamin D: 'Not enough evidence' for treatment

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/20 at 4:40 am

There is not enough evidence that vitamin D supplements protect people against Covid-19, an expert panel says. Made up of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Public Health England and the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition, it said more research was needed. But everyone is still advised to take a daily supplement this winter to keep bones and muscles healthy. Free supplements are being offered to the most vulnerable in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55333063

Subject: Re: PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!! Covid and vitamin D: 'Not enough evidence' for treatment

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/20 at 9:36 am

There is not enough evidence that vitamin D supplements protect people against Covid-19, an expert panel says. Made up of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Public Health England and the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition, it said more research was needed. But everyone is still advised to take a daily supplement this winter to keep bones and muscles healthy. Free supplements are being offered to the most vulnerable in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55333063

I gave you karma for evidence, it should have been LACK of evidence ;D

Written By: jaminhealth on 12/31/20 at 5:15 pm

I've come more and more to the conclusion that the Medical World has LET so many
millions of people down and so many have died due to the Vit D deficiency that millions have.

I caught up with a few cousins from back East in the last couple days and they all take adequate Vit D and my one cousin who is 95 and is now in a "home" since she can't take care of  herself now, takes Vit D daily and has for some time, her docs tested her a long time ago.  She has a good mind, walks good, healthy, but at 95, the body is worn out.

So yes medical world has failed many.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/01/21 at 10:53 am

I've come more and more to the conclusion that the Medical World has LET so many
millions of people down and so many have died due to the Vit D deficiency that millions have.

I caught up with a few cousins from back East in the last couple days and they all take adequate Vit D and my one cousin who is 95 and is now in a "home" since she can't take care of  herself now, takes Vit D daily and has for some time, her docs tested her a long time ago.  She has a good mind, walks good, healthy, but at 95, the body is worn out.

So yes medical world has failed many.

My grandmother smoked a cigar every day - used a roach clip for those final puffs - and lived past 100 - died reading the news paper.  So I guess smoking cigars also contributes to a long life - oh and she died  at home where she took care of herself 

Written By: jaminhealth on 01/01/21 at 12:23 pm

My grandmother smoked a cigar every day - used a roach clip for those final puffs - and lived past 100 - died reading the news paper.  So I guess smoking cigars also contributes to a long life - oh and she died  at home where she took care of herself

That's great, I'll pass on the cigars and any poison going into my lungs, but  your grandmother beat the odds...my son in law died at 55 from cigs...

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/01/21 at 1:17 pm

For those who may have missed it...

SARCASM

Written By: jaminhealth on 01/01/21 at 1:33 pm

Yep it runs rampant here...sarcasm that is.. ::) ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...