inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guitar Center Files for Bankruptcy

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/20 at 12:21 pm

Mega musical equipment retailer Guitar Center has hoisted the white flag, and has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.  :\'(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/22/investing/guitar-center-bankruptcy/index.html

"This is an important and positive step in our process to significantly reduce our debt and enhance our ability to reinvest in our business to support long-term growth," Guitar Center CEO Ron Japinga said in a statement.

Subject: Re: Guitar Center Files for Bankruptcy

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/20 at 12:35 pm

Good riddance. I went in there and was practically held hostage. You have to sign in, sign out...a whole big rigmarole. I hate to say it, but some of these places that have declared bankruptcy like GNC and Guitar Center really deserve it for the awful way they treat customers.

Written By: karen on 11/23/20 at 1:29 pm

We didn’t find it like that when we went. They were quite happy for us to browse around the place. I think we may have my son’s beginner acoustic there. We definitely bought some music books. Obviously I am talking about ten years ago now.

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/23/20 at 4:47 pm

Oh the companies treat all people badly, so good they are going under????.  Lots of bad karma from so  many. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/20 at 6:16 pm

Oh the companies treat all people badly, so good they are going under????.  Lots of bad karma from so  many.

Touche! 

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/23/20 at 8:16 pm

We didn’t find it like that when we went. They were quite happy for us to browse around the place. I think we may have my son’s beginner acoustic there. We definitely bought some music books. Obviously I am talking about ten years ago now.

I went a few times 2 years ago. Never had any hassles. I took down some basses and played, my daughter strummed on a ukulele. I’d go more often but the nearest one is over 3 hours away.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/20 at 9:43 pm

I went a few times 2 years ago. Never had any hassles. I took down some basses and played, my daughter strummed on a ukulele. I’d go more often but the nearest one is over 3 hours away.

Maybe I went to a weird one or something. But I stand my ground when it comes to GNC. Any time I went in one of those in any location I found the employees to be uptight, suspicious (as in them acting suspicious of ME), pushy, creepy, unhelpful (not a contradiction that they were pushy and unhelpful at the same time) and downright cultish.  Since they acted that way in every location i can only assume they were trained that way (hence "cultish"). That place was just plain bizarre.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/23/20 at 11:02 pm

Maybe I went to a weird one or something. But I stand my ground when it comes to GNC. Any time I went in one of those in any location I found the employees to be uptight, suspicious (as in them acting suspicious of ME), pushy, creepy, unhelpful (not a contradiction that they were pushy and unhelpful at the same time) and downright cultish.  Since they acted that way in every location i can only assume they were trained that way (hence "cultish"). That place was just plain bizarre.

Our GNC is pretty cool, quiet, laid back. The guy is knowledgeable if you ask a question, and not pushy, he leaves you to your own shopping. He likes old cars too. When I go I’m usually the only one there.

However we have a local health food store called the Grain Train and that place is exactly the way you describe GNC. Like a cult, they corner you, push products onto you and put them in your cart, barely even let you speak, preach how you should live your life. I avoid that place whenever possible, but it’s the only place to get clove oil if I get a bad tooth.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/20 at 11:35 pm

Our GNC is pretty cool, quiet, laid back. The guy is knowledgeable if you ask a question, and not pushy, he leaves you to your own shopping. He likes old cars too. When I go I’m usually the only one there.

However we have a local health food store called the Grain Train and that place is exactly the way you describe GNC. Like a cult, they corner you, push products onto you and put them in your cart, barely even let you speak, preach how you should live your life. I avoid that place whenever possible, but it’s the only place to get clove oil if I get a bad tooth.

Another thing about GNC is they were very pushy about trying to get me to sign up for various things. All kinds of programs and discounts and what have you. This is basically a way to get information out of people and profile them but I just didn't go in there enough to warrant signing up for any of these things and handing over information. But they were SO persistent, and basically not ringing up my purchase unless I signed on that I had to practically raise my voice and say  "I SAID no thank you!". Making a purchase in an establishment should not be an ordeal.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/24/20 at 5:21 am

Daily reminder that Chapter 11 does not (necessarily) mean Guitar Center is going to cease to be. If you hear Chapter 7, then you should be worried.

Check for new replies or respond here...