inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Those Liberty Mutual commercials

Written By: violet_shy on 11/23/20 at 10:13 pm

I like them, and wish they would come up with more of them! My favorite one is the one with the kids..."this game's boring".

Subject: Re: Those Liberty Mutual commercials

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/20 at 6:25 am

Liberty biberty.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/20 at 8:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFplRXgS8T4
Limu Emu And Doug

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/24/20 at 9:10 am

I kind of like the Progressive commercials more, like the 2 Progressive On Ice ones and the Progressive Theme Park. They take me back to the beginning of the pandemic time when I first started working from home and binge watching on Hulu (not that I feel nostalgic about it or anything).

Written By: Sman12 on 11/24/20 at 11:12 am

Eh, they're all right. They're less cringy than the Progressive ones at least.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/24/20 at 11:49 am

I kind of like the Progressive commercials more, like the 2 Progressive On Ice ones and the Progressive Theme Park. They take me back to the beginning of the pandemic time when I first started working from home and binge watching on Hulu (not that I feel nostalgic about it or anything).

I certainly hope not. I hope we haven't reached the point in the out of control "nostalgia" craze where people are feeling "nostalgic" about the "early pandemic period".  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/20 at 2:34 pm

I certainly hope not. I hope we haven't reached the point in the out of control "nostalgia" craze where people are feeling "nostalgic" about the "early pandemic period".  :o

In 10 years, people will look fondly upon 2020.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/24/20 at 2:48 pm

In 10 years, people will look fondly upon 2020.

On what do you base this theory?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/20 at 3:14 pm

On what do you base this theory?

The nostalgia for a year usually kicks in about 10 years later.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/24/20 at 10:36 pm

The nostalgia for a year usually kicks in about 10 years later.

So people will look back fondly upon the virus and be "nostalgic" about it (nostalgia, of course, being a yearning for something experienced in the past)? I don't recall people looking back fondly at 9/11 ten years after and yearning for it. REMEMBERING it yes. HONORING those that were lost, yes. But nostalgic? 

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/24/20 at 11:09 pm

Some people had very bad outcomes of the early pandemic days, job loss or sickness.

But there were some good memories for me about the early pandemic period. It was too cold to do anything outside anyway, so I played music and stuff inside. I had an excuse to relax for awhile. Anybody who could was working from home and we had cutting edge stuff like SNL and Jimmy Fallon, etc, in their pajamas. We had commercials and things saying things like we can get through this together. Also my phone was silent from spam calls for a change.

My drive to work was so nice with almost nobody on the road. I bought a months worth of food so I didn’t have to go anywhere. We were getting perks like virus pay for essential workers, vouchers to support local take out businesses. Split shifts and set your own hours so I chose to sleep in every day and work a later shift. We had salutes for essential workers too.

Now we have 10x the daily cases as we did at that early pandemic peak, yet it seems like nobody gives a rats behind anymore.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 11/25/20 at 8:38 am

I was always baffled by 80s nostalgia.  We had a deadly pandemic, racial tensions, tremendous wealth inequality.  Some people have very selective memories, I guess.  It's entirely possible we could have 2020 nostalgia at some point in the future.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/25/20 at 8:51 am

I was always baffled by 80s nostalgia.  We had a deadly pandemic, racial tensions, tremendous wealth inequality.  Some people have very selective memories, I guess.  It's entirely possible we could have 2020 nostalgia at some point in the future.

Don't forget the drastic and immediate pendulum swing to conservatism too. Reagan. The "Star Wars" missile program, etc. And the music was just plain awful compared to the ground breaking brilliance that had come just before in the 60s and 70s. I just don't get the 80s-cultists-who-weren't-born-yet that tend to populate this site. I don't know, maybe they just like that kind of stuff. A lot of people liked it in the actual 80s too, that's why it was popular. Much to my bafflement even then. I guess some things never change.  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/25/20 at 10:35 am

Back on topic, I much prefer the Farmers Insurance ads.  especially the "dog pool" and the flying truck - Covered it

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/25/20 at 1:42 pm

I like this GEICO one. It's also from the pandemic time. I used to always say "that's a waste of toilet paper!" at around 0:22.

8zZhSLpsGp0

Written By: Howard on 11/25/20 at 2:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU1OrmER3RA

Written By: violet_shy on 11/25/20 at 3:09 pm

This is my favorite one

IURW7VCN9GU

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/25/20 at 3:13 pm

This is my favorite one

IURW7VCN9GU

Mine too. Throw back to the original NES with super Mario in the 80s.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/25/20 at 6:35 pm

So people will look back fondly upon the virus and be "nostalgic" about it (nostalgia, of course, being a yearning for something experienced in the past)? I don't recall people looking back fondly at 9/11 ten years after and yearning for it. REMEMBERING it yes. HONORING those that were lost, yes. But nostalgic?

Nostalgic for 2020. Just like people were nostalgic for 1967 even though the Vietnam war was raging back then.

The nostalgia glass is always half full.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/25/20 at 6:39 pm

Nostalgic for 2020. Just like people were nostalgic for 1967 even though the Vietnam war was raging back then.

The nostalgia glass is always half full.

Interesting!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/20 at 6:40 pm

Back on topic, I much prefer the Farmers Insurance ads.  especially the "dog pool" and the flying truck - Covered it

Mermutts.  ;D ;D

The only Liberty commercial I like was the out of work actor. I'm sure that actor had fun making that commercial. And I hate the emu ones.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/26/20 at 8:00 am

Mine too. Throw back to the original NES with super Mario in the 80s.

That actually reminded me of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for the NES. There's one part of the game when you're training along the waterfront with the NYC skyline in the background.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/20 at 8:15 am

Mermutts.  ;D ;D

The only Liberty commercial I like was the out of work actor. I'm sure that actor had fun making that commercial. And I hate the emu ones.

Cat

I hate those too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/26/20 at 9:01 am

What about the GEICO commercials like the renters having a "clogging" problem (the traditional Dutch dance with the wooden shoes) and one with the RATT problem (the metal rock band)?

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/26/20 at 11:09 am

What about the GEICO commercials like the renters having a "clogging" problem (the traditional Dutch dance with the wooden shoes) and one with the RATT problem (the metal rock band)?

Yes I like those especially the ratt one.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/26/20 at 12:29 pm

I hate those too.

Lol. I think the most recent one, where Doug and Emu are on the elevator, is funny. I laughed the first time I saw it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/20 at 1:47 pm

At someone's request  ;)  Presenting-THE MURMUTTS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnANMTAOew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM9O6BlXKrM

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/26/20 at 2:37 pm

That one's pretty stupid.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/20 at 2:43 pm

Lol. I think the most recent one, where Doug and Emu are on the elevator, is funny. I laughed the first time I saw it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWXjw7QY7xY
This one is pretty funny some of them not so much.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/21 at 2:50 pm

Is this an example of a Liberty Mutual commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln_u0dBwTHg
I was thinking about this Liberty Mutual commercial.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/25/21 at 6:20 pm

That one's pretty stupid.

It made me laugh though, lol.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/25/21 at 6:27 pm

I don't get this one. Why did she give the other kid a boring gift? And why would she be happy about it? Lol. I don't get it.

FWixQmv-FMM

Written By: Howard on 02/26/21 at 8:30 am

Is this an example of a Liberty Mutual commercial?

Doug is funny but not crazy about that Emu.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/21 at 8:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgEJyRk45vo

Written By: kr37 on 02/26/21 at 4:13 pm

I didn't realize until reading about these commercials here that there is an emu in the commercials because emu rhymes with the abbreviation LiMu. Maybe I should have figured that out sooner...  :-\\ ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...