inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time

Written By: 2001 on 12/02/20 at 1:35 am

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/02/no-kill-lab-grown-meat-to-go-on-sale-for-first-time

Singapore’s approval of chicken cells grown in bioreactors is seen as landmark moment across industry

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/028b7dc094fc0663004a1075c657be49919e2cc5/173_0_5104_3065/master/5104.jpg?width=445&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=384e5f3820bc5e789f756ee89da7e764

Cultured meat, produced in bioreactors without the slaughter of an animal, has been approved for sale by a regulatory authority for the first time. The development has been hailed as a landmark moment across the meat industry.

The “chicken bites”, produced by the US company Eat Just, have passed a safety review by the Singapore Food Agency and the approval could open the door to a future when all meat is produced without the killing of livestock, the company said.

Dozens of firms are developing cultivated chicken, beef and pork, with a view to slashing the impact of industrial livestock production on the climate and nature crises, as well as providing cleaner, drug-free and cruelty-free meat. Currently, about 130 million chickens are slaughtered every day for meat, and 4 million pigs. Of all the mammals on Earth, 60% are livestock, 36% are humans and only 4% are wild.
Revealed: UK supermarket and fast food chicken linked to deforestation in Brazil
Read more

The cells for Eat Just’s product are grown in a 1,200-litre bioreactor and then combined with plant-based ingredients. Initial availability would be limited, the company said, and the bites would be sold in a restaurant in Singapore. The product would be significantly more expensive than conventional chicken until production was scaled up, but Eat Just said it would ultimately be cheaper.

---

More info in the link. Vegetarians rejoice!

P.S. This is different from products like Impossible Meat and Beyond Meat. Those are plant-based alternatives to meat, while this is actual meat grown in a lab.

Subject: Re: No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time

Written By: Elor on 12/02/20 at 2:19 am

I hope this becomes a success. I've dialed back on my meat consumption because of the cruelty with which we treat the animals (humans are a sick species). Would be nice to enjoy meat again without feeling guilty.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/20 at 4:32 am

Hmmm. Tastes like chicken.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/20 at 10:00 am

This lab grown meat, it is nothing like Quorn?

Written By: jaminhealth on 12/02/20 at 12:30 pm

I've reduced meat a lot, but want the real thing and not that so called soy substitute that has been  pushed down throats....for one thing Soy destroys the thyroid...I was on that path when soy first came to the U.S. in the form of milk and until I was tested was falling over with fatigue, thyroid was being messed up. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/20 at 12:31 pm

I've reduced meat a lot, but want the real thing and not that so called soy substitute that has been  pushed down throats....for one thing Soy destroys the thyroid...I was on that path when soy first came to the U.S. in the form of milk and until I was tested was falling over with fatigue, thyroid was being messed up. 
Also, Soy or Soya is high in protein and is no good for gout sufferers.

Written By: 2001 on 12/02/20 at 1:16 pm

I hope this becomes a success. I've dialed back on my meat consumption because of the cruelty with which we treat the animals (humans are a sick species). Would be nice to enjoy meat again without feeling guilty.

Same, except I've failed at cutting back on meat. I still feel guilty about it though, I don't think eating meat is moral, so I'm rooting for thing's success so my lazy butt can avoid all the hard work.

Written By: 2001 on 12/02/20 at 1:22 pm

No, it is meat, grown in a lab instead of a live animal on a farm. It's meat but no animals are harmed.

Edit: Oh for some reason I misread that as Quinoa. Quorn is not a brand I'm familiar with, but it looks like a plant-based meat alternative. This is NOT a meat alternative or plant-based, it is actual meat.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/20 at 1:34 pm

Quorn is plant based meat.

Check for new replies or respond here...