inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2021: The year in movies, TV, and video games

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/12/21 at 3:26 pm

There's already a thread for music, but here's one for movies, TV series, and video games. Now do you all prefer if these were each broken up in separate threads? Anyhow with TV, there's the new animated series on Fox "The Great North" that's by the same creators of "Bob's Burgers". Also on Fox is "Call Me Kat" with Mayim Bialik (Blossom, Big Bang Theory) which I read isn't well received by critics and viewers.

Subject: Re: 2021: The year in movies, TV, and video games

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/21 at 5:14 pm

Being a movie buff, I am looking forward to the release of Steven Spielberg's remake of "West Side Story", it is due for a Spring release this year, I fear how I am going to view it, for many films now are shown on various different movie 'channels' and I have only two at home.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/22/21 at 5:20 pm

More delays in movies. With the Batman delayed I was thinking at least the new Ghostbusters will be out this summer. They might as well stick to VOD releases.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/03/21 at 6:43 am

I just watched Godzilla vs. Kong last night. It was pretty good for visual effects. Probably the best new movie I've seen, not that there's much for comparison.

Last weekend I watched Tom and Jerry. I liked the character personality of Chloe Grace Moretz.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/16/21 at 11:48 am

Earlier this week I watched the pilot of the series "The Nevers" on HBO Max. Have any of you watched it? It's created by Joss Whedon (Justice League, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and it's about a group of women in the Victorian Era of London who have superpowers, compared to the X-Men/Mutant Academy. I enjoyed it overall for it's visual effects, and I particular like the character of Amalia True (Laura Donnelly).

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/21 at 6:18 pm

Things I am looking forward to ...

Upcoming movies:  The Suicide Squad
Upcoming Video Games:  Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/23/21 at 1:21 pm

I just started playing Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for the Nintendo Switch. It is a direct reference to Breath of the Wild, and even has the same map and actions such as using items and cooking food. It is also non-linear unlike the previous Hyrule Warriors where it was more repetitive hacking and slashing and defeating enemies. My only grips are the controls especially the camera rotation is very choppy, almost makes me feel like a N64 game which makes me dizzy and also so many different buttons and combos of buttons that takes some getting used to.

UPDATE: I'm thinking the camera rotation might actually be related to the drifting issue on my joy-con controller and not the game itself. It's getting worse, even on the menu screens.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/21 at 2:07 pm

WWE 2K22 is coming soon.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/04/21 at 6:48 pm

Can't wait for the fifth season of Rick and Morty this June. It's still my current favorite show on TV.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/25/21 at 4:31 pm

Today would have been the day The Batman would have been released, if the pandemic didn't disrupt order in the universe. Also supposedly Matt Reeves is doing a reshoot, at least for a few scenes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/21 at 4:48 pm

Being a movie buff, I am looking forward to the release of Steven Spielberg's remake of "West Side Story", it is due for a Spring release this year, I fear how I am going to view it, for many films now are shown on various different movie 'channels' and I have only two at home.
There is the chance, from a rumour, that this film could be on Netflix.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/21 at 10:23 pm

UPDATE: I'm thinking the camera rotation might actually be related to the drifting issue on my joy-con controller and not the game itself. It's getting worse, even on the menu screens.

I keep hearing about so many people having drift issues on joy-cons.  I play my switch all the time and have yet to experience drifting (knock wood)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/30/21 at 5:30 am

I keep hearing about so many people having drift issues on joy-cons.  I play my switch all the time and have yet to experience drifting (knock wood)

I bought a new controller which is the GameCube style, which is perfect as I've been nostalgic for the GameCube era. The only thing was the arrangement of the buttons took some time to get used to as the A, B, X, and Y buttons are in a different position.

Written By: Ruru on 07/07/21 at 6:25 pm

I watched the documentary Happy Birthday Mr. Bean this week.

One thing that I remember Rowan Atkinson saying during his interview is that he viewed perfectionism as a "disease" rather than a "quality".

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 3:25 pm

There is meant to be a Minions sequel to be release this summer, but due to the pandemic it is due for next year now.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/08/21 at 5:42 pm

There are plenty of movies now only in theaters (ex: F9) or for premium subscription on apps like Disney Plus (ex: Cruella). Anyhow here is my watchlist:

(movies I have seen)

The Little Things
Coming 2 America
Tom & Jerry
Godzilla vs. Kong
Without Remorse

(movies I want to see)

Locked Down
Old
F9
Cruella
The Tomorrow War
Black Widow
Suicide Squad
Snake Eyes
Ghostbusters Afterlife
007: No Time to Die
Top Gun: Maverick

There might be some I left out of either list. I'll add them later if I think of anything.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/08/21 at 5:52 pm

^ Actually Luca looks pretty good. I'll watch that as well.

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/21 at 6:05 am

I bought a new controller which is the GameCube style, which is perfect as I've been nostalgic for the GameCube era. The only thing was the arrangement of the buttons took some time to get used to as the A, B, X, and Y buttons are in a different position.

You can also get a Pokemon Tournament Fighters controller which as I understand also has no drift issues, but the buttons take some getting used to

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/21 at 6:53 am

^ Actually Luca looks pretty good. I'll watch that as well.
It is good, seen three time, but under different circumstance, never seen the ending yet, but plan to soon on my own.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/13/21 at 8:00 pm

I watched "The Tomorrow War" the other day and it was pretty good. I'd say the best movie of the year so far.

Written By: duenas8 on 07/19/21 at 2:25 am

Though I haven’t seen any 2021 film, it seems a great year for movies. Kong vs Godzilla, Cruella, Black Widow... It feels like a renaissance compared with the disastrous 2020 for cinema

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/19/21 at 8:02 am

Though I haven’t seen any 2021 film, it seems a great year for movies. Kong vs Godzilla, Cruella, Black Widow... It feels like a renaissance compared with the disastrous 2020 for cinema

A lot of the movies this year were originally supposed to be released in 2020 but of course why they got delayed goes without saying. This is the year for the return of theatrical releases, but at the same time not writing off movies direct for streaming like we did with direct to DVD or cable TV in the past.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/19/21 at 9:47 pm

I hate the fact that the last movie I saw in theaters was the mediocre Grudge reboot.  8-P If I'd directed it, it would at least have suspense and buildup. I liked the one with Sarah Michelle Gellar when it was released, but doubt it would still hold up if I rewatched it.

I've seen all of the Warner Bros./HBO Max films, with the exception of No Sudden Move (which I do plan to see). I didn't get to see WW84, The Little Things or Judas until they returned to HBO Max after their first runs, and I watched Tom & Jerry at literally the 11th hour. I've also been watching a lot of classic Warner and Criterion films. I watched a handful of Oscar nominees, as most of them were on Netflix. I'm planning on watching Fear Street pretty soon.

I've liked most of the movies I've seen released this year and last. The Midnight Sky was the biggest disappointment (though the effects were impressive), followed by that Angelina Jolie movie I forgot the name of (Those Who Wish Me Dead). It's sad that Liam Neeson is now reduced to starring in straight-to-video dreck that seems marketed toward conservatives (I also forgot the title, The Marksman). Ditto Bruce Willis, whose Survive the Night is easily one of the worst movies ever made on every level imaginable, and features the worst cinematography I've ever seen in my life.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/23/21 at 7:18 am

Dune is one I forgot about. Seeing a trailer for it during the opening ceremony reminded me. I added it to my watch list.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/23/21 at 9:03 pm

No Sudden Move was disappointing. And I lowered my rating of Space Jam 2 on Letterboxd because Warner didn't credit a few animators. Meanwhile, I've been catching up on old and new movies, as well as revisited nostalgic favorites like Harriet the Spy and Snow Day.

The next movies I plan to watch soon:

Pan's Labyrinth (Netflix)
Eternal Sunshine (Showtime)
Magnolia (Showtime)
Sharknado 3 and up (Syfy)

Then I have 5 billion other past and present movies to choose from on various streaming services, On Demand, and/or Blu-ray.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/26/21 at 4:10 am

No Sudden Move was disappointing. And I lowered my rating of Space Jam 2 on Letterboxd because Warner didn't credit a few animators. Meanwhile, I've been catching up on old and new movies, as well as revisited nostalgic favorites like Harriet the Spy and Snow Day.

The next movies I plan to watch soon:

Pan's Labyrinth (Netflix)
Eternal Sunshine (Showtime)
Magnolia (Showtime)
Sharknado 3 and up (Syfy)

Then I have 5 billion other past and present movies to choose from on various streaming services, On Demand, and/or Blu-ray.

The new Space Jam is such a soulless cashgrab ad-space. Haven't seen anything that disappointing than The Last Jedi.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/06/21 at 8:32 am

Suicide Squad opens today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/21 at 4:45 am

Hugh Jackman's "Reminiscence" looks interesting, but I think I have seen the storyline before.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/21 at 6:42 am

There are plenty of movies now only in theaters (ex: F9) or for premium subscription on apps like Disney Plus (ex: Cruella). Anyhow here is my watchlist:

(movies I have seen)

The Little Things
Coming 2 America
Tom & Jerry
Godzilla vs. Kong
Without Remorse

(movies I want to see)

Locked Down
Old
F9
Cruella
The Tomorrow War
Black Widow
Suicide Squad
Snake Eyes
Ghostbusters Afterlife
007: No Time to Die
Top Gun: Maverick

There might be some I left out of either list. I'll add them later if I think of anything.

Finally got to see "Cruella" last night, it started well, but disappointed with it towards the end of the film.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/03/21 at 3:30 pm

List of new TV series premiering this fall. Some of them look interesting.

https://www.polygon.com/22632915/fall-tv-schedule-2021-premiere-dates

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/05/21 at 12:27 pm

Some movies slated for release only in theaters this fall are in jeopardy of getting delayed (again) to 2022, such as Dune and possibly 007: No Time to Die. The Top Gun sequel is already delayed to next year, and Ghostbusters Afterlife got delayed one week

Finally got to see "Cruella" last night, it started well, but disappointed with it towards the end of the film.

I watched it last night. I didn't expect much and found the plot to be slow and long to sit through. I liked the soundtrack though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/21 at 6:12 am

Some movies slated for release only in theaters this fall are in jeopardy of getting delayed (again) to 2022, such as Dune and possibly 007: No Time to Die. The Top Gun sequel is already delayed to next year, and Ghostbusters Afterlife got delayed one week

I watched it last night. I didn't expect much and found the plot to be slow and long to sit through. I liked the soundtrack though.
Yes indeed, I did enjoy the soundtrack too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/06/21 at 4:22 pm

Yes indeed, I did enjoy the soundtrack too.

Especially the song from the opening scene which was "Bloody Well Right" by Supertramp.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/21 at 4:24 pm

Especially the song from the opening scene which was "Bloody Well Right" by Supertramp.
It was "She's A Rainbow" by The Rolling Stones, and "Smile" by Nat 'King' Cole, that made me smile.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/09/21 at 1:03 am

This month is going to be a killer for video games. Tales of Arise, Deathloop, Kena;Bridge of Spirits and Aragami 2 all releasing in the same month.

Written By: duenas8 on 09/09/21 at 8:50 am

9ix7TUGVYIo
The blue pill is everywhere

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/10/21 at 8:08 am

9ix7TUGVYIo
The blue pill is everywhere

I’m so pumped.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/23/21 at 8:34 pm

Just watched the pilot of the new Wonder Years. It was pretty good, and looking forward to the next episode.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/21 at 12:03 pm

Tonight sees the world premiere of the latest James Bond movie "No Time To Die" at the Royal Albert Hall in London, UK. I am in no hurry to see it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/02/21 at 6:33 am

Squid Game on Netflix looks interesting.

Written By: duenas8 on 10/02/21 at 10:31 pm

Since Stranger Things’ 1st season, Netflix hadn’t grabbed my attention

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/24/21 at 3:55 pm

Just watched Dune on Friday night. That one was actually pretty good, it exceeded my expectations of being a typical early 2020's movie with overuse of CG and lacking a plot. It's actually a movie that left an impression as I've been thinking about it, as films of that genre tend to do.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/26/21 at 1:25 am

I saw Halloween Kills the other night in theaters. It was okay, but I had to close my eyes during most of the kills because I don't do gory violence. Ironic, considering I'm a fan of the series.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/21 at 7:56 am

It will be my next for binge watching.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 5:48 pm

Since Stranger Things’ 1st season, Netflix hadn’t grabbed my attention

are we twins? I haven't binge watched anything since Stranger Things s1 either! Manifest caught my attention but that was only like a couple hours of viewing.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/16/21 at 5:57 pm

In the topic of movies, Dreamworks continues to disappoint with terrible IP choices. The past 2 years they've given us a sequel to Trolls (decent movie but not deserving of a sequel), a sequel to Croods (who tf wanted that?), a sequel to Boss Baby (WHY??), and a soulless sequel to Spirit. And yet we never got Over the Hedge 2, a movie MUCH more deserving of a sequel than the ones I mentioned (well, Spirit deserved a sequel but what we got was horse crap).

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/31/21 at 11:25 am

I watched the new Matrix the other night (few days before Christmas) and that was disappointing.

Check for new replies or respond here...