inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Has Indeed Changed Since The Late 2010s

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/21 at 1:04 pm

Rap song from today

yasj3j76SyM

Rap song in 2018

pgN-vvVVxMA

There is a lot less trap now.

Subject: Re: Music Has Indeed Changed Since The Late 2010s

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/21 at 1:10 pm

Pop song from today

ZmDBbnmKpqQ

Pop song from 2018

aJOTlE1K90k

It sounds quite different.

Written By: Emman on 01/24/21 at 1:55 pm

Music is exactly the same, slow sad sounding music, retro rehashes, ect.

There's no new fresh developments in music anymore, no new styles or scenes or anything.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/21 at 2:01 pm

There's no new fresh developments in music anymore, no new styles or scenes or anything.

I agree but I just mean the subtle differences that show we're in another era. I don't think music is a good indicator of that anyway. It is very obvious the 2020s began in March of 2020 when the global pandemic and lockdowns began. Covid-19 changed everything.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/21 at 2:06 pm

And this is why I will still continue to listen to old school music.

Written By: Emman on 01/24/21 at 2:27 pm

I agree but I just mean the subtle differences that show we're in another era. I don't think music is a good indicator of that anyway. It is very obvious the 2020s began in March of 2020 when the global pandemic and lockdowns began. Covid-19 changed everything.

2020 was very changeful, socially and politically, it seems much of pop culture has been on pause to me, understandable because many events have been delayed.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/25/21 at 10:02 am

Music is one thing that still pretty much sounds the same, at least with 2019. There's still a lot of trap and the lo-fi sounds. The only noticeable difference is more of the 80's style synth-pop. However, with all the other changes especially the pandemic, our perception and association with the music has also changed.

Written By: Emman on 01/25/21 at 11:25 am

Music is one thing that still pretty much sounds the same, at least with 2019. There's still a lot of trap and the lo-fi sounds. The only noticeable difference is more of the 80's style synth-pop. However, with all the other changes especially the pandemic, our perception and association with the music has also changed.

'80s synth influenced music has been a big trend since the early '00s, from electroclash to the Killers to "Bulletproof".

I'm sick of the constant rehashing of past styles, I desire something fresh and new.

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/21 at 11:55 am

It’s changed too much! Too much auto tune and unoriginal. Sad! Personally I don’t feel like there has been that much good music come out since the first half of the 2000’s. 😔

Written By: Slim95 on 01/25/21 at 1:27 pm

Rap has become more poppy. More rhythm and faster beats rather than just mumble rap like it was before. A song like this would not be popular in 2018 and it is today.

GrAchTdepsU

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 01/25/21 at 2:21 pm

Slim95, it sure has. Pop-Punk music has made a comeback during this new decade and is popular again. Pop-Punk music was not popular during the late-2010s.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/21 at 2:48 pm

What's missing in music is the real instruments they use to play, not today's auto-tuned garbage. ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/25/21 at 3:33 pm

What's missing in music is the real instruments they use to play, not today's auto-tuned garbage. ::)

Yeah these tight-pant wearing rappers have no talent.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/21 at 3:47 pm

Yeah these tight-pant wearing rappers have no talent.

Remember the days when musicians played the piano, guitar, trombone, horn and the saxophone?

Written By: Emman on 01/25/21 at 8:36 pm

Many musicians do use "real" instruments, the music is still either merely adequate or sucks.

We need "new" instruments or ways of making music, like what digital samplers did with early hip-hop and electronica.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/25/21 at 8:55 pm

Many musicians do use "real" instruments, the music is still either merely adequate or sucks.

We need "new" instruments or ways of making music, like what digital samplers did with early hip-hop and electronica.

What we really need is for rap/hip-hop to be swept away once and for all. It has been the main musical force for approaching 40 years and that's just too long. It's a bloated carcass of itself. It's been a long time since it's truly been vital or relevant or NEW, no matter how many little sub-categories or little changes it goes through. If you need any further evidence that rap is old and tired, just think of balding, middle aged white businessmen in corporate business meetings using rap gestures as they speak.  I've seen that. They don't even know they are doing it. It's ingrained in them, since they grew up with it.  We need something radically new, just as rap once was, long before most people on this board were born. But it's doubtful that will happen anytime soon. As has been under discussion on other threads here, pop culture just does not change fast enough anymore from decade to decade*, despite the rapid velocity with which technology changes.

*People from 1950 look drastically different from people in 1970, but people from 1995-ish don't look radically different from people of today.

Written By: Emman on 01/26/21 at 7:52 am

*People from 1950 look drastically different from people in 1970, but people from 1995-ish don't look radically different from people of today.

I remember watching a movie recently that came out in 1985 set in 1975 that was already a period piece, only 10 years, the same thing with American Graffiti. A period piece would be almost impossible for 2011(10 years) or 2001(20 years) aside from the changes of cellphones or something.

There's a show called Better Call Saul that's set several years before the events of Breaking Bad, it's set in 2002 to 2004 but you'd never know it.
It doesn't have to be a period piece because so little has changed in fashion, car designs, ect. That's like a show made in 1985 or 1975 set in 1972/1962(Better Call Saul debuted in 2015), you can bet there would be noticeable changes in the cast's wardrobe.

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/21 at 8:43 am

I remember watching a movie recently that came out in 1985 set in 1975 that was already a period piece, only 10 years, the same thing with American Graffiti. A period piece would be almost impossible for 2011(10 years) or 2001(20 years) aside from the changes of cellphones or something.

There's a show called Better Call Saul that's set several years before the events of Breaking Bad, it's set in 2002 to 2004 but you'd never know it.
It doesn't have to be a period piece because so little has changed in fashion, car designs, ect. That's like a show made in 1985 or 1975 set in 1972/1962(Better Call Saul debuted in 2015), you can bet there would be noticeable changes in the cast's wardrobe.

There are a lot of 2000s skits on Tiktok. They do a decent job tbh. The whole VSCO girl trend is inspired by it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/28/21 at 9:10 am

What we really need is for rap/hip-hop to be swept away once and for all. It has been the main musical force for approaching 40 years and that's just too long. It's a bloated carcass of itself. It's been a long time since it's truly been vital or relevant or NEW, no matter how many little sub-categories or little changes it goes through. If you need any further evidence that rap is old and tired, just think of balding, middle aged white businessmen in corporate business meetings using rap gestures as they speak.  I've seen that. They don't even know they are doing it. It's ingrained in them, since they grew up with it.  We need something radically new, just as rap once was, long before most people on this board were born. But it's doubtful that will happen anytime soon. As has been under discussion on other threads here, pop culture just does not change fast enough anymore from decade to decade*, despite the rapid velocity with which technology changes.

Rap probably won't be leaving the scene until Gen Alpha ages out of popularity.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/28/21 at 9:29 am

Rap probably won't be leaving the scene until Gen Alpha ages out of popularity.

I'm surprised that young people, who traditionally have been on the cutting edge of things, are now so  willing to embrace something as establishment and as corporate and as old hat as rap and hip hop, which have dominated the mainstream for 40 years and have very little new to say. Same attitude, same gestures, same, same, same. It's like if kids in the 1960s were listing to Glen Miller and music from World War 2. Which of course, we did NOT. Where are the calls for something new, something radical, something different?

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/28/21 at 10:38 am

But todays rap is super different from rap 10 years ago. I'm not a big fan of today's rap and rap as a genre isn't in my top 3 favorite genres. Nevertheless, I still notice how much the genre was changed not only from each decade but throughout each decade since the late 70s. Believe it or not but rap/hip hop has been extremely changeful throughout its entire history. It just sounds the same when you're not into the music at all.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/28/21 at 10:48 am

I'm surprised that young people, who traditionally have been on the cutting edge of things, are now so  willing to embrace something as establishment and as corporate and as old hat as rap and hip hop, which have dominated the mainstream for 40 years and have very little new to say. Same attitude, same gestures, same, same, same. It's like if kids in the 1960s were listing to Glen Miller and music from World War 2. Which of course, we did NOT. Where are the calls for something new, something radical, something different?

Personally I think people ran out of ideas.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/28/21 at 10:49 am

But todays rap is super different from rap 10 years ago. I'm not a big fan of today's rap and rap as a genre isn't in my top 3 favorite genres. Nevertheless, I still notice how much the genre was changed not only from each decade but throughout each decade since the late 70s. Believe it or not but rap/hip hop has been extremely changeful throughout its entire history. It just sounds the same when you're not into the music at all.

It changed from being really good to really dry.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/28/21 at 12:17 pm

It changed from being really good to really dry.

It doesn't even matter how it changed within itself. It's still the same genre that has existed for over 40 years and it ceased being relevant years and years ago. Something new needs to come into being. Where are the young people creating the NEW, where are today's prophets? Doing silly little things on TikTok doesn't cut it. Being an "influencer" (to shill corporate products) online doesn't cut it. Where are the prophets?

Written By: Emman on 01/28/21 at 5:14 pm

Rap/Hip-hop started stagnating around the early to mid '00s, that's when southern rap solidified sonically speaking. It's the same 808s, fast hi hats, synths, autotune, ect since then, 3 6 mafia was doing triplet flows on their 1995 album, that's 26 years ago. Voiceofthe70s is right, he may not be familiar with hip-hop but I am, it's been in a strange holding pattern for 15-20 years.

If my 2001 self(high school teenager) was listening to all the new music in 2021 I would be immediately underwhelmed by the lack of stylistic change, after all 2001 music was very different from music in 1981, the very beginnings of rap when it was still basically disco.

Imagine someone from 1981 listening to mid '90s jungle/drum n bass, there would be immense future shock for most people, not so 2021 music because we have not created new music genres but even within the existing genres there is only incremental change at best.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/28/21 at 9:40 pm

Rap/Hip-hop started stagnating around the early to mid '00s, that's when southern rap solidified sonically speaking. It's the same 808s, fast hi hats, synths, autotune, ect since then, 3 6 mafia was doing triplet flows on their 1995 album, that's 26 years ago. Voiceofthe70s is right, he may not be familiar with hip-hop but I am, it's been in a strange holding pattern for 15-20 years.

If my 2001 self(high school teenager) was listening to all the new music in 2021 I would be immediately underwhelmed by the lack of stylistic change, after all 2001 music was very different from music in 1981, the very beginnings of rap when it was still basically disco.

Imagine someone from 1981 listening to mid '90s jungle/drum n bass, there would be immense future shock for most people, not so 2021 music because we have not created new music genres but even within the existing genres there is only incremental change at best.

I'm not big on music theory but I understand what you mean. However, 2001 rap sounds extremely different from 2021 rap imo. Maybe everyone needs to enter a music theory class to figure out why current rap isn't innovative. I don't know. lol.

Maybe we have entered truly into a dark age of music innovation. It feels like the 20th century was such a flash in the pan. I could be wrong and maybe an even crazier century is on the horizon especially for music.

What I do know is that you can only force innovation to a point. Genius innovation is usually something that requires a few little genius steps.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/28/21 at 9:56 pm

I'm not big on music theory but I understand what you mean. However, 2001 rap sounds extremely different from 2021 rap imo. Maybe everyone needs to enter a music theory class to figure out why current rap isn't innovative. I don't know. lol.

Maybe we have entered truly into a dark age of music innovation. It feels like the 20th century was such a flash in the pan. I could be wrong and maybe an even crazier century is on the horizon especially for music.

What I do know is that you can only force innovation to a point. Genius innovation is usually something that requires a few little genius steps.

No need for a class. I can tell you why in two words. IT'S OLD. People here are missing the point when they point out in painstaking detail how rap has changed from this to that to the other thing, and that people would notice this if they only pay attention. IT DOESN'T MATTER. All these changes are still within  the overall genre of rap, which as a genre has played itself out. Let it change all it wants. At this late date in time, the true innovation is going to come from elsewhere, OUTSIDE of the genre of rap.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/28/21 at 11:11 pm

No need for a class. I can tell you why in two words. IT'S OLD. People here are missing the point when they point out in painstaking detail how rap has changed from this to that to the other thing, and that people would notice this if they only pay attention. IT DOESN'T MATTER. All these changes are still within  the overall genre of rap, which as a genre has played itself out. Let it change all it wants. At this late date in time, the true innovation is going to come from elsewhere, OUTSIDE of the genre of rap.

Rap came from soul, funk, r&b, and disco. Where do you think the next great music genre could come from?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/29/21 at 8:36 am

Rap came from soul, funk, r&b, and disco. Where do you think the next great music genre could come from?

You DO make a good point there. Although I draw the line at the dreaded disco, which the world could have done without from the beginning. I still think for true new innovation to come young people are going to have to look outside the rap/hip hop corporate establishment.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/29/21 at 3:04 pm

Ehh, somewhat. Looking at the pop charts now, it's a mixture of country, pop-trap, "sad" pop (Billie, Olivia Rodrigo, etc), disco/synthpop revivals, and Brooklyn drill. While I do enjoy the diversity of the charts as of now, most of the songs still sound late 2010s to me, primarily because of the trap takeover. And like what Emman said, disco and synthpop aren't new genres to popular music.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/29/21 at 3:50 pm

Ehh, somewhat. Looking at the pop charts now, it's a mixture of country, pop-trap, "sad" pop (Billie, Olivia Rodrigo, etc), disco/synthpop revivals, and Brooklyn drill. While I do enjoy the diversity of the charts as of now, most of the songs still sound late 2010s to me, primarily because of the trap takeover. And like what Emman said, disco and synthpop aren't new genres to popular music.

Trap isn't a late 2010s thing specifically. Trap will probably still be around in some form all throughout this decade. It actually got very popular in 2014. But like Emman was saying it had its roots before then as well.

In any case, music doesn't determine a culture change. Not anymore at least. What made us enter into a new culture was the pandemic in March of last year. That was the official start of the early 2020s culture. The early 2020s started right on time. The transition was in late 2019 when the virus first appeared in China and when The Mandelorian was released and The Weeknd released his new album. Speaking of the Weeknd, he is performing at the Superbowl this year. The Weeknd will be performing at the Super Bowl Half-Time show which will be at half capacity for the first time in history. if that isn't the most early 2020s thing ever, I don't know what is...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/29/21 at 4:11 pm

Trap isn't a late 2010s thing specifically. Trap will probably still be around in some form all throughout this decade. It actually got very popular in 2014. But like Emman was saying it had its roots before then as well.

In any case, music doesn't determine a culture change in this era. Not anymore at least. What made us enter into a new culture was the pandemic in March of last year. That was the official start of the early 2020s culture. The early 2020s started right on time. The transition was in late 2019 when the virus first appeared in China and when The Mandelorian was released and The Weeknd released his new album. Speaking of the Weeknd, he is performing at the Superbowl this year. The Weeknd will be performing at the Super Bowl Half-Time show which will be at half capacity for the first time in history. if that isn't the most early 2020s thing ever, I don't know what is...

Correct. Music does not determine cultural change in this era. But I am one of the people who remember when it DID, back in the 1960s and 70s.  And it left it's indelible mark on me. To quote John Lennnon, one of the great artists of that (or any other) time, "you shoulda been there".  8)

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/30/21 at 5:50 am

Correct. Music does not determine cultural change in this era. But I am one of the people who remember when it DID, back in the 1960s and 70s.  And it left it's indelible mark on me. To quote John Lennnon, one of the great artists of that (or any other) time, "you shoulda been there".  8)

Definitely not this era for sure, but other eras yes. Late 70's to early 80's was one when we went from disco to new wave. Also people on this very forum used to always talk about the "Great 2006 shift" because of the music, JT's album that was said to be like Nirvana's Nevermind album (another example of the beginning of a new a subera).

As I said before, when there's no major event like the pandemic or 9/11, the change in music and trends can indicate the change in eras. It's also less clear and debatable when one era ends and the next one begins. Also a change in president can influence a change in culture as well, like going from GWB to Obama or Obama to Trump.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/30/21 at 3:26 pm

Also people on this very forum used to always talk about the "Great 2006 shift" because of the music, JT's album that was said to be like Nirvana's Nevermind album (another example of the beginning of a new a subera).

Yeah Sexy Back sounded very new and innovative at the time. JT tried to do something like that again in 2018 with Filthy but it didn't catch on.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/30/21 at 9:32 pm

You DO make a good point there. Although I draw the line at the dreaded disco, which the world could have done without from the beginning. I still think for true new innovation to come young people are going to have to look outside the rap/hip hop corporate establishment.

Man, I probably would have lived it up in the disco era. The past is wasted on the older.  ;D ;D ;D

RlJGrIyt-X8 VyAHULpMXKQ

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/30/21 at 9:41 pm

Yeah Sexy Back sounded very new and innovative at the time. JT tried to do something like that again in 2018 with Filthy but it didn't catch on.

Definitely. I remember 2006 was the first year I was out of high school and JT, Amy Winehouse, and Gnarls Barkley were the only MAINSTREAM artists who caught my ears. Filthy just doesn't have it. It really isn't catchy enough nor did it really read the room. Can't Stop the Feeling definitely read the room.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/21 at 4:08 am

Man, I probably would have lived it up in the disco era. The past is wasted on the older.  ;D ;D ;D

RlJGrIyt-X8 VyAHULpMXKQ

I would've loved the disco era myself, it sure was a fun time back then.

Written By: passthegabagool on 01/31/21 at 9:17 pm

You'd never know it in Better Call Saul because Better Call Saul is not at all a good representation of the early 2000s. The slang, fashion and even some music and technology (there are literally flatscreen computer monitors in the HHM office) are influenced by the 2010s...

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/21 at 9:36 pm

You'd never know it in Better Call Saul because Better Call Saul is not at all a good representation of the early 2000s. The slang, fashion and even some music and technology (there are literally flatscreen computer monitors in the HHM office) are influenced by the 2010s...

Wait it was supposed to be set in the early 2000s? I think I remember dudes filming a Youtube video in skinny jeans or something. It wouldn't be accurate at all.

Written By: Emman on 02/01/21 at 11:01 am

Wait it was supposed to be set in the early 2000s? I think I remember dudes filming a Youtube video in skinny jeans or something. It wouldn't be accurate at all.

It started in 2002, with the current season set in 2004, Breaking Bad was set 2009-2011.

Written By: passthegabagool on 02/01/21 at 12:18 pm

It started in 2002, with the current season set in 2004, Breaking Bad was set 2009-2011.
Yeah, and BCS is not a good display of what the Early 2000s were like... Especially later seasons.

I remember some guy in a later season talking about "the 90s" like how we might talk about them today... In an episode set in 2003.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/01/21 at 5:51 pm

This article is pretty relevant to what we have been talking about. With so many major artists of the classic rock (and later) era selling their catalogs for big money, we are going to be hearing a lot more old songs in the times to come. After all, the companies  that recently paid Bob Dylan $300 million for his catalog, Stevie Nicks $100 million for her catalog, etc, are looking to make a return on that investment. They are going to flog those songs to death. This will only slow the "rate of change" of things even further.

Why classic rock may be a threat to the music of the future:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7606017/classic-rock-future-music/

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/01/21 at 7:46 pm

I would've loved the disco era myself, it sure was a fun time back then.

I'll start by saying there were certain things I didn't like about how Disco was handled and promoted, and what its dominance did to other music that was popular at the time.  Not to mention I was picky - I thought some Disco was just bad.  That said, as a collegiate "party girl" then, it was an amazing feeling being 18ish, single, enjoying a college dance party, to hear the immortal words from the DJ station "Awwww, FREAK OUT!!!" beckon us all to the dance floor...  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/02/21 at 5:45 am

I'll start by saying there were certain things I didn't like about how Disco was handled and promoted, and what its dominance did to other music that was popular at the time.  Not to mention I was picky - I thought some Disco was just bad.  That said, as a collegiate "party girl" then, it was an amazing feeling being 18ish, single, enjoying a college dance party, to hear the immortal words from the DJ station "Awwww, FREAK OUT!!!" beckon us all to the dance floor...  :D

Just imagine if Studio 54 was around today in this day and age and you were told you had to wear a face mask?  ;D

Written By: Emman on 02/02/21 at 2:47 pm

Maybe culture will change in ways we can scarcely imagine right now, we are in a very turbulent time period, the year 2020 alone could r
write many history books. Who knows what the US will be like by 2030?

We are still operating under the old social/economic/political order but it is very unstable now, maybe with a "reset" new cultural threads can emerge, this is what happened after WW2 with the growth of the middle class and new youth culture that followed.

Written By: passthegabagool on 02/04/21 at 2:49 am

Let's just compare the progress of Rock to the progress of Hip Hop for a second.

Rock = invented in the 50s, became popular in the 60s. Popular through the 2000s.

Hip Hop = invented in the 70s, became popular in the 80s.

That would mean:

Rock's 1950s = Hip Hop's 1970s
Rock's 1960s = Hip Hop's 1980s
Rock's 1970s = Hip Hop's 1990s
Rock's 1980s = Hip Hop's 2000s
Rock's 1990s = Hip Hop's 2010s

And finally,

Rock's 2000s = Hip Hop's 2020s

It looks like Hip Hop has a decade in the 2020s to me.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/21 at 5:04 am

Let's just compare the progress of Rock to the progress of Hip Hop for a second.

Rock = invented in the 50s, became popular in the 60s. Popular through the 2000s.

That would mean:

And finally,

What about funk and disco?

Written By: passthegabagool on 02/04/21 at 5:54 am

What about funk and disco?
The longevity of Disco in just the Mid/Late 70s is way more comparable to the longevity of Electropop in the Early 2010s or Tropical House in the Mid 2010s than it is to the decades-crossing Hip Hop, which is definitely more comparable to also decades-crossing Rock than Disco OR Funk in terms of longevity. So I don't know what you mean there.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/21 at 9:15 am

That would mean:

And finally,

I thought of something along these lines before you posted, but I had rock as pretty much ending in the 90s, for all intents and purposes. (Mind you, I'm an inveterate rock & roller and it kills me to say it). When you really think of it, Kurt Cobain (who I was never that much a fan of) was the LAST really true, really real rock & roll star. And the Seattle grunge scene (again, not really a fan) of the early 90s, of which he was a part, was the last big movement in rock.

Written By: passthegabagool on 02/04/21 at 10:29 am

I thought of something along these lines before you posted, but I had rock as pretty much ending in the 90s, for all intents and purposes. (Mind you, I'm an inveterate rock & roller and it kills me to say it). When you really think of it, Kurt Cobain (who I was never that much a fan of) was the LAST really true, really real rock & roll star. And the Seattle grunge scene (again, not really a fan) of the early 90s, of which he was a part, was the last big movement in rock.
I don't know, the nu-metal subgenre of Rock was pretty huge in the early 2000s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/21 at 12:20 pm

I don't know, the nu-metal subgenre of Rock was pretty huge in the early 2000s.

That may have been a little too niche. Either way, if things were really happening by this chart, rap would show signs of declining popularity by now. I'm talking quantitatively, not qualitatively, for those rap fans who would chime in that it isn't as good as it used to be. We may be stuck with rap for some time to come,  despite the fact that nothing about it is even close to cutting edge. But not necessarily because of the measurement being posited by the rock era/rap era theory. But more because of the slower "rate of change" that goes on now with popular culture, even though technology goes full speed ahead.

Written By: 2001 on 02/04/21 at 2:54 pm

There was skater punk and nu-metal after that, and then emo-rock after that, before it truly went away. There was indie pop after that, although that was a lot less popular. I don't see why a huge band like Green Day or Linkin Park couldn't count as a "real" rock band.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/04/21 at 3:55 pm

'80s synth influenced music has been a big trend since the early '00s, from electroclash to the Killers to "Bulletproof".

I'm sick of the constant rehashing of past styles, I desire something fresh and new.

I guess I can't say much about this since my next single is actually a remake of an 80s classic. But I promise after "Broken Wings", I will come up with something original and fresh and new. I'm glad I read this topic it inspires me as a musician to be better.

Written By: passthegabagool on 02/04/21 at 4:51 pm

That may have been a little too niche. Either way, if things were really happening by this chart, rap would show signs of declining popularity by now. I'm talking quantitatively, not qualitatively, for those rap fans who would chime in that it isn't as good as it used to be. We may be stuck with rap for some time to come,  despite the fact that nothing about it is even close to cutting edge. But not necessarily because of the measurement being posited by the rock era/rap era theory. But more because of the slower "rate of change" that goes on now with popular culture, even though technology goes full speed ahead.
and Hip Hop was more niche than Rock was in even the 50s in the 70s to the mid 80s

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/21 at 5:40 pm

There was skater punk and nu-metal after that, and then emo-rock after that, before it truly went away. There was indie pop after that, although that was a lot less popular. I don't see why a huge band like Green Day or Linkin Park couldn't count as a "real" rock band.

Yes, I forgot about Green Day. I'd definitely consider them big.  But their heyday was still the 90s, not the 2000s. By the way, I'm purposely not including what is known today as "pop" in this discussion, even though today's main mainstream forces are still basically hip hop and pop. because, unlike hip hop, pop never made any claim to relevance, and hence, unlike hip hop,  had no relevance to lose.

Check for new replies or respond here...