inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2020s Suck

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/21 at 5:17 pm

This decade sucks!

Subject: Re: The 2020s Suck

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/21 at 5:21 pm

Any day, year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

Written By: Contigo on 02/11/21 at 5:25 pm

Any day, year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

Oh Definitely.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/11/21 at 5:34 pm

I concur.  O0

Written By: Ebontyne on 02/11/21 at 5:44 pm

Oh Definitely.

KATE BUSH!

(Sorry, off topic. Just recognizing a kindred spirit.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/11/21 at 5:46 pm

“Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Written By: violet_shy on 02/12/21 at 11:27 am

This decade sucks!

Well at least we have the Covid vaccine now which gives me hope that the 2020s will be a good decade.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/21 at 3:16 pm

Well at least we have the Covid vaccine now which gives me hope that the 2020s will be a good decade.

I think once it gets better people will have a different opinion.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/13/21 at 6:47 am

I think once it gets better people will have a different opinion.

That's the thing, IF it gets better. The COVID doesn't show any signs of going away despite the vaccine, and we could end up with other issues. The 2010's look better now (except for 2013-14).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/13/21 at 8:17 am

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde

Written By: karen on 02/13/21 at 9:13 am

That's the thing, IF it gets better. The COVID doesn't show any signs of going away despite the vaccine, and we could end up with other issues. The 2010's look better now (except for 2013-14).

You have to give the effect of the vaccine chance to become evident. Only a fraction of the population has had even one dose at the moment. Even so cases are falling. New treatments are also becoming available.

I believe we have turned the corner on this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/21 at 9:45 am

"The best way to predict the future is to create it." 
-  Abrahamm Lincoln

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/13/21 at 10:03 am

"I'm so happy just to be alive
Underneath the sky of blue
On this new morning with you..."
-Bob Dylan
"New Morning"

Written By: Howard on 02/13/21 at 1:16 pm

What about the last few months of 2021?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/13/21 at 2:21 pm

But at least we can hope that it goes away.  :\'(

Subject: The 2020s Suck

Written By: Dude111 on 02/13/21 at 4:34 pm

This decade sucks!

Indeed and its only 2021!!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/13/21 at 4:41 pm

Indeed and its only 2021!!

“We May Encounter Many Defeats But We Must Not Be Defeated.”
– Maya Angelou

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/21 at 7:17 pm

"All my life I thought air was free. Until I bought a bag of chips." — Slowpoke.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/13/21 at 7:23 pm

"All my life I thought air was free. Until I bought a bag of chips." — Slowpoke.

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 02/13/21 at 10:17 pm

I'm honestly not sure how much it compares to the 2000s or even the 2010s as of now. I used to hate the 2010s a lot back then, but that's mostly because of stuff I had to deal with personally. This is probably on a whole new level given the restrictions.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/21 at 1:54 pm

But at least we can hope that it goes away.  :\'(

I sure hope so.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/21 at 1:55 pm

How do you think the middle of the 2020's will end up?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/15/21 at 2:05 pm

How do you think the middle of the 2020's will end up?

I believe things will get better. And we won't have to wear a mask anymore.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/21 at 2:15 pm

I'm just waiting for the day till we stop wearing masks for good.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/15/21 at 10:14 pm

Same. I think mask-wearing will be phased out in 2022.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/21 at 9:42 am

Same. I think mask-wearing will be phased out in 2022.

Are there options of what you can do with the masks once this is over? ???

Written By: karen on 02/16/21 at 9:55 am

Are there options of what you can do with the masks once this is over? ???

What sort do you have?

I plan to keep my washable ones so I can use them when I have a cold or other illness. Or Covid or another respiratory disease becomes a problem again.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/21 at 10:07 am

What sort do you have?

I plan to keep my washable ones so I can use them when I have a cold or other illness. Or Covid or another respiratory disease becomes a problem again.

We have a box of them so I think it would be a good idea to save them for when something comes around.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/21 at 11:17 am

"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." - P Valery.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/16/21 at 12:11 pm

“The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with
the rain.”
-Dolly Parton

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/21 at 12:56 pm

"Water has memory. The water that makes up you and me, has passed through at least four humans, and, or animals, before us." - Olaf

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/16/21 at 1:29 pm

"Water has memory. The water that makes up you and me, has passed through at least four humans, and, or animals, before us." - Olaf

That's actually pretty fascinating. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/21 at 1:30 pm

That's actually pretty fascinating. 
Olaf should be award a Nobel Prize!

Written By: Howard on 02/16/21 at 2:00 pm

What if 2020 isn’t cancelled?⁣
What if 2020 is the year we’ve been waiting for?⁣
A year so uncomfortable, so painful, so scary, so raw — that it finally forces us to grow.⁣
A year that screams so loud, finally awakening us from our ignorant slumber.⁣
A year we finally accept the need for change.⁣
Declare change. Work for change. Become the change. A year we finally band together, instead of⁣
pushing each other further apart.⁣

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/21 at 5:33 am

"Venture outside your comfort zone. The rewards are worth it." --Rapunzel (Tangled)

Written By: Sman12 on 02/17/21 at 6:51 am

I hope you're joking. The 2020s basically started. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/21 at 7:00 am

"Even miracles take a little time." -- Fairy Godmother (Cinderella)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/20/21 at 4:05 pm

"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."
– Mark Twain

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/20/21 at 4:13 pm

They really don't. Every time I hear music, watch TV from that period (especially the middle part), it makes me glad we're out of there.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/13/21 at 11:19 am

They really don't. Every time I hear music, watch TV from that period (especially the middle part), it makes me glad we're out of there.

Same here.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/15/21 at 7:23 am

The "real" 2020s will be post-COVID, IMO. This is probably one of the most depressing transitional periods we've had in some time. Blurry, no sense of direction or identity. Tiring and exhausting. The transition begain in 2020, but it at least had some ties to the late 10s -- tail end of Trump, grim vibe, reality crazier than satire. 2021 is the blah of Covid without the craziness of the previous year (minus Jan 6th). It's dragged on for at least a year now, so there's all this built up anticipation. Wait until we return to normalcy -- the explosion of people traveling, partying, etc. should be epic.

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/21 at 7:58 am

The "real" 2020s will be post-COVID, IMO. This is probably one of the most depressing transitional periods we've had in some time. Blurry, no sense of direction or identity. Tiring and exhausting. The transition begain in 2020, but it at least had some ties to the late 10s -- tail end of Trump, grim vibe, reality crazier than satire. 2021 is the blah of Covid without the craziness of the previous year (minus Jan 6th). It's dragged on for at least a year now, so there's all this built up anticipation. Wait until we return to normalcy -- the explosion of people traveling, partying, etc. should be epic.

Many in the media are predicting a new roaring '20s. People have a pent up desire for risk-taking and are aflush in cash thanks to the stimulus. Let's hope it ends up being true!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/15/21 at 9:00 am

Many in the media are predicting a new roaring '20s. People have a pent up desire for risk-taking and are aflush in cash thanks to the stimulus. Let's hope it ends up being true!

I'm sorry, but this is a HUGE stretch. Eras do not repeat themselves simply because the numbers of the decade match the numbers of the previous century. This is a hallmark of lazy journalism, and it shows how dumbed down we have become. Will we get a new "60s" in 2060? It's ridiculous. Also, I would hardly call $1400 from the government (as welcome as it is!), "aflush with cash". many people have lost their jobs and $1400 will barely get them through a month and certainly will not be enough for adventure.

I do share your desire for a new, fresh and risk-taking approach though. Maybe we can finally be rid of old, fuddy-duddy, corporate  hip-hop that has been around for forty years now.

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/21 at 10:01 am

I'm sorry, but this is a HUGE stretch. Eras do not repeat themselves simply because the numbers of the decade match the numbers of the previous century. This is a hallmark of lazy journalism, and it shows how dumbed down we have become. Will we get a new "60s" in 2060? It's ridiculous. Also, I would hardly call $1400 from the government (as welcome as it is!), "aflush with cash". many people have lost their jobs and $1400 will barely get them through a month and certainly will not be enough for adventure.

I do share your desire for a new, fresh and risk-taking approach though. Maybe we can finally be rid of old, fuddy-duddy, corporate  hip-hop that has been around for forty years now.

Normally I would agree with you but in this particular case both the 1920s and 2020s followed a devastating pandemic so there are reasons to believe certain human behaviours will repeat themselves for reasons other than both being the third decade of their century (which I agree has no bearing on how the decade will turn out).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/15/21 at 10:17 am

Normally I would agree with you but in this particular case both the 1920s and 2020s followed a devastating pandemic so there are reasons to believe certain human behaviours will repeat themselves for reasons other than both being the third decade of their century (which I agree has no bearing on how the decade will turn out).

If the post-pandemic era becomes one of great creativity and innovation nobody would be happier than me. But people do not think nor act the way they did in 1920 and though technology marches resolutely onward, creativity and innovation in the arts and culture has stalled and moves VERY slowly now, and I'm not sure if even the pandemic can unstick it. Social media doesn't help either. Groupthink goes on and on and allows no room for dissenting thought. For heaven's sake, even the ridiculous show THE TALK has gone on hiatus for a week because Sharon Osbourne DARED agree with Pier Morgan who dared to disagreed with Queen Oprah and the ghastly Meghan Markle, , multi-millionaires who portray themselves as victims. When the elite "victims" have spoken, no one dares disagree for risk of being cancelled. This does not foster a creative environment. Innovation needs room to breathe, creativity needs room to dissent. If this were 1977, British punk bands would be writing scathing songs about the pretentiousness of Harry, Meghan and Oprah, akin to the Sex Pistols' "God Save The Queen" from that era. But today what happens happens is people get deplatformed, cancelled and unpersoned. Indeed, this is not 1977. Or 1920.

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/21 at 11:41 am

If the post-pandemic era becomes one of great creativity and innovation nobody would be happier than me. But people do not think nor act the way they did in 1920 and though technology marches resolutely onward, creativity and innovation in the arts and culture has stalled and moves VERY slowly now, and I'm not sure if even the pandemic can unstick it. Social media doesn't help either. Groupthink goes on and on and allows no room for dissenting thought. For heaven's sake, even the ridiculous show THE TALK has gone on hiatus for a week because Sharon Osbourne DARED agree with Pier Morgan who dared to disagreed with Queen Oprah and the ghastly Meghan Markle, , multi-millionaires who portray themselves as victims. When the elite "victims" have spoken, no one dares disagree for risk of being cancelled. This does not foster a creative environment. Innovation needs room to breathe, creativity needs room to dissent. If this were 1977, British punk bands would be writing scathing songs about the pretentiousness of Harry, Meghan and Oprah, akin to the Sex Pistols' "God Save The Queen" from that era. But today what happens happens is people get deplatformed, cancelled and unpersoned. Indeed, this is not 1977. Or 1920.

I was thinking more risk-taking in terms of ideas: scientific, technological, business etc. Behaviours too, as APDCR1990 mentioned, travelling, partying etc.

Rebeliousness is in the eye of the beholder I guess. You're talking about taking down Markle but you are defending powerful and established media personalities like Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne in the process. I am personally not going to miss the latter. Out with old laundry I say.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/15/21 at 11:53 am

I was thinking more risk-taking in terms of ideas: scientific, technological, business etc. Behaviours too, as APDCR1990 mentioned, travelling, partying etc.

Rebeliousness is in the eye of the beholder I guess. You're talking about taking down Markle but you are defending powerful and established media personalities like Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne in the process. I am personally not going to miss the latter.

I was criticizing the system that allows that allows people to be cancelled be they powerful or pauper. I have no personal interest in Osbourne and Morgan OR in Markle. They're all silly as far as media personalities go. But they are the latest examples of the groupthink process

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/21 at 12:31 pm

I was criticizing the system that allows that allows people to be cancelled be they powerful or pauper. I have no personal interest in Osbourne and Morgan OR in Markle. They're all silly as far as media personalities go. But they are the latest examples of the groupthink process

I agree that social media leads to groupthink. But the same can be said of television and radio of yore even if not quite in the same way, so I'm not going to let that get me down.

Unlike the past decades, we've had a crisis that upended life as we know and made us re-evaluate our priorities. I don't know about other people but I know for me and my friends, if we had any sort of long-term orientation before, it's been replaced by a more "live for now; life is short" mentality and I'm excited to see what comes of it. We've already seen some wild things happen this decade such as the BLM protests, the GME stock saga, and we're not yet unshackled from this pandemic.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/21 at 2:01 pm

No one knows what the rest of The 2020's will bring so we can't say that it will suck, it's still 2021.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/21/21 at 3:01 pm

No one knows what the rest of The 2020's will bring so we can't say that it will suck, it's still 2021.

We're in a global pandemic

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/21 at 6:00 pm

Hopefully it will end soon with the vaccinations.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/22/21 at 1:47 am

Apperently they are forecasting a third wave for April. It won't end soon enough.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/21 at 1:48 am

Apperently they are forecasting a third wave for April. It won't end soon enough.
At the moment there are third waves in France, Italy, and the Philippines. And the UK is fearing the worse.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/22/21 at 7:47 am

Wouldn't that technically be the 4th wave? At least in the US and depending on what part, and if you counted the beginning of the pandemic as the first wave, and then the second was during the summer months, and third during the holiday season.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/21 at 2:38 pm

I know that!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/22/21 at 2:38 pm

I hope so, maybe by July.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/21 at 2:39 pm

Can that be prevented?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/21 at 2:51 pm

At the moment there are third waves in France, Italy, and the Philippines. And the UK is fearing the worse.

Can that be prevented?  ???
The third had already started.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/21 at 9:41 pm

Wouldn't that technically be the 4th wave? At least in the US and depending on what part, and if you counted the beginning of the pandemic as the first wave, and then the second was during the summer months, and third during the holiday season.

In Canada it is different from the US. Our first wave was in spring 2020, second wave was in fall of 2020 (all the way through winter 2021), and the third wave is happening right now. The good news is that it's not as bad as the second. The second wave was the deadliest.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/21 at 4:35 am

In Canada it is different from the US. Our first wave was in spring 2020, second wave was in fall of 2020 (all the way through winter 2021), and the third wave is happening right now. The good news is that it's not as bad as the second. The second wave was the deadliest.

How many waves are there?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/21 at 9:40 am

It has been two in the UK, and we fear for the third.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/31/21 at 11:07 am

At least seven. And LOVE is the seventh wave, so cheer your heart. Great song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZistami3c

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/21 at 1:36 pm

uXZistami3

...or don't make waves?

S4HoyI-aw9w

Written By: Howard on 04/01/21 at 3:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZistami3c

;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/05/21 at 10:04 am

So it's looking like the circumstances that made 2020 bad like the pandemic and the crime rates (at least in US cities) are no better in 2021. In fact things are worse with the new wave of the new variant that's more contagious, and more shootings/murders. I think people are just adjusted to the new normal.

Check for new replies or respond here...