inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney Plus warns of offensive content featured in some episodes of Muppet Show

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/22/21 at 10:56 am

Now even The Muppets...

Disney Plus warns of offensive content featured in some episodes of The Muppet Show:

www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-02-21/muppet-show-disclaimer-warning-disney-plus

“This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures,” the warning reads. “These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversations to create a more inclusive future together.”

The show, which ran for five seasons between 1976 and 1981, features the new content warning on 18 episodes, including those guest-hosted by Steve Martin, Peter Sellers, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, Debbie Harry and Marty Feldman, among others.

Subject: Re: Disney Plus warns of offensive content featured in some episodes of Muppet Show

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/21 at 11:00 am

...in some episodes of The Muppet Show?

I can think of several...

...and enjoyed them back then!

Subject: Re: Disney Plus warns of offensive content featured in some episodes of Muppet Show

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/22/21 at 11:04 am

...in some episodes of The Muppet Show?

I can think of several...

...and enjoyed them back then!

I might add that early in their career the Muppets used to appear on "Saturday Night Live" in it's original cutting edge days, and let's just say they were far from "G" rated.  ;D  :o  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/22/21 at 2:50 pm

Now even The Muppets...

Disney Plus warns of offensive content featured in some episodes of The Muppet Show:

www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-02-21/muppet-show-disclaimer-warning-disney-plus

“This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures,” the warning reads. “These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversations to create a more inclusive future together.”

The show, which ran for five seasons between 1976 and 1981, features the new content warning on 18 episodes, including those guest-hosted by Steve Martin, Peter Sellers, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, Debbie Harry and Marty Feldman, among others.

What is so offensive about The Muppet Show?  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/21 at 1:28 pm

I LOVED the Muppet Show. I NEVER thought of it as a kids' show. Some of the jokes were WAY above kids' heads (and some adults, too). Very similar to Rocky & Bullwinkle. Kids wouldn't GET the jokes.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/21 at 1:52 pm

I LOVED the Muppet Show. I NEVER thought of it as a kids' show. Some of the jokes were WAY above kids' heads (and some adults, too). Very similar to Rocky & Bullwinkle. Kids wouldn't GET the jokes.

Cat
...I may start binge watching "The Muppets" now. I missed viewing the majority of them due to work commitments at the time.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/24/21 at 1:55 am

Are people actually getting offended by the content of the Muppet Show or is Disney Plus just being extra careful now because we live in a society where we have to walk around in shoes with soles made of eggshells?

This reminds me of a controversy a few years back where the Cartoon Network (I believe, it might have been another media outlet) pulled all the Speedy Gonzales cartoons off the air because they feared it might perpetuate an offensive stereotype of Hispanics, but it backfired when they received thousands of angry letters and emails from Hispanic-Americans demanding that Speedy Gonzales be put back on the air because they considered him to be a hero.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/24/21 at 3:10 pm

Cat

What was the age demographic?

Written By: wixness on 02/25/21 at 2:22 pm

I'm more concerned about Disney and copyright over anything, especially when they trademarked "hakuna matata" (Swahili for "no worries"). That alone should expose them as hypocrites too.
Damn, the American mentality of money=good is sickening. The only reason I don't completely hate America is because I find Europe culturally difficult to relate to in various aspects, even though I find it to be politically among the best governed in the world. Even then Europe is warming up to the idea that culture should only exist if it makes them money. Look at France especially - they almost unanimously voted for the European copyright directive that was going around, known for threatening to wipe out memes.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/26/21 at 10:17 pm

Now even The Muppets...

Ok boomer.

Check for new replies or respond here...