inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hasbro Introduces Gender Neutral Rebranding For Mr. Potato Head

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/26/21 at 10:31 am

Hasbro will rebrand its classic Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head toy line as simply “Potato Head,” adapting and better reflecting today’s modern families and gender identities.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/hasbro-gender-neutral-mr-potato-head-rebranding-1234701293/

Subject: Re: Hasbro Introduces Gender Neutral Rebranding For Mr. Potato Head

Written By: Howard on 02/26/21 at 2:26 pm

Hasbro will rebrand its classic Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head toy line as simply “Potato Head,” adapting and better reflecting today’s modern families and gender identities.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/hasbro-gender-neutral-mr-potato-head-rebranding-1234701293/

It's a potato, so whether it's male or female I don't even care, why should you put a Mr. or a Mrs. next to the name It's still a potato.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/26/21 at 3:19 pm

It's a potato, so whether it's male or female I don't even care, why should you put a Mr. or a Mrs. next to the name It's still a potato.

Keep in mind, Howard, there are genders in the plant kingdom too. that's how they pollinate and reproduce. Haven't you ever heard of "the birds and the bees"?  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/27/21 at 1:40 pm

Keep in mind, Howard, there are genders in the plant kingdom too. that's how they pollinate and reproduce. Haven't you ever heard of "the birds and the bees"?  ;D  ;D

Yes I've heard of "the birds and the bees", Why'd you ask? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/27/21 at 1:41 pm

I dunno. Mr. Potato Head just has a better ring to it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/21 at 1:44 pm

Yes I've heard of "the birds and the bees", Why'd you ask? ???

Because the bees pollinate the plants. It's all part of the gender of plant life.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/21 at 2:20 pm

I dunno. Mr. Potato Head just has a better ring to it.

Couldn't they just call it The Potato Family?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/21 at 2:29 pm

"The Potato Family" is only good if it's a group. That still leaves the question of what you call just one of them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/27/21 at 2:41 pm

That might be offensive to people who do not believe in the concept of a nuclear family.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/21 at 7:22 am

"The Potato Family" is only good if it's a group. That still leaves the question of what you call just one of them.

How about Mother Spud, Father Spud, and Baby Spud?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/21 at 7:48 am

What's next? Neutering Superman and changing it to "The Adventures of Super"?  ::)

Written By: Sman12 on 03/03/21 at 10:58 am

And the stupidity of current pop culture continues....

Written By: Howard on 03/03/21 at 3:11 pm

And the stupidity of current pop culture continues....

Why does pop culture have to be stupid?  ::)

Written By: xenzue on 03/03/21 at 8:41 pm

This is misleading. They still have Mr. and Mrs. Potato head for sale, the difference is the Potato Heads has more forms of gender expression and includes more items for customization in a single box. Reactionaries are outraging for no reason.

Written By: Dude111 on 03/03/21 at 11:42 pm

I read about this on city-data and its bloody stupid!!

I would look for an original before buying that trash!!

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/06/21 at 1:42 am

How about Mother Spud, Father Spud, and Baby Spud?  ???

MQvEu6G-i_0

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/06/21 at 1:52 am

That might be offensive to people who do not believe in the concept of a nuclear family.

I'm sure your nuclear family is nice and healthy.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/06/21 at 1:55 am

I read about this on city-data and its bloody stupid!!

I would look for an original before buying that trash!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ARRRRGGG GRRRR AARGG RRRRROOOOAAARRR >:( >:( >:( >:(

They will most defintely miss your money!

Written By: Howard on 03/06/21 at 1:45 pm

First Mr. Potato Head and now Dr. Seuss, What else could go wrong? ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/06/21 at 5:02 pm

Aunt Jemima, Mrs Butterworth, Uncle Ben, and soon we’ll see the dude on the Cream of Wheat box disappear.

And Diff’rent Strokes will soon be banned because it takes a paternalistic view of black adoptees.  ::)

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/21 at 5:04 pm

Things have gone to hell and its sad........

Someone should email Hasbro and tell them they will not be getting any of thier new stuff!! (And tell them why)

Written By: Howard on 03/07/21 at 7:44 am

Aunt Jemima, Mrs Butterworth, Uncle Ben, and soon we’ll see the dude on the Cream of Wheat box disappear.

And Diff’rent Strokes will soon be banned because it takes a paternalistic view of black adoptees.  ::)

I think we are living in this "cancel culture" world where everyone has to hate this and hate that because of something that has gone wrong with it.  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/07/21 at 10:18 am

What's stupid is the reaction of the right  wing echo chamber.  As if there weren't more important things going on, like the assault on democracy

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 12:39 pm

What's stupid is the reaction of the right  wing echo chamber.  As if there weren't more important things going on, like the assault on democracy

You mean when the Federal building was attacked in Portland? ???  Or when our elected President refused to enforce the immigration laws that were enacted by our duly elected representatives in both the Legislative and Executive branches?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/21 at 1:46 pm

"It is a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/07/21 at 2:44 pm

I think we are living in this "cancel culture" world where everyone has to hate this and hate that because of something that has gone wrong with it.  ::)

Meanwhile a song called "WAP," which stands for "Wet Ass Pussy," goes straight to Number One on the Billboard charts and no one so much as bats an eye.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 3:06 pm

Meanwhile a song called "WAP," which stands for "Wet Ass Pussy," goes straight to Number One on the Billboard charts and no one so much as bats an eye.  ::)

Well to “cancel” that song would be to cast judgement on somebody’s culture. The Woke Police would not be happy if that happened.

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/21 at 5:00 pm

None of these are real people and none of them were "cancelled". They were changed to fit the changing tastes and social attitudes as has happened countless of times throughout brand history. It is not a big deal.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 5:08 pm

None of these are real people and none of them were "cancelled". They were changed to fit the changing tastes and social attitudes as has happened countless of times throughout brand history. It is not a big deal.

Aunt Jemima was a real person. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/95732637/nancy-green

Uncle Ben was. Real person. (Frank Brown)

Cream of Wheat dude? real person. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19893239/frank-l.-white

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/21 at 5:46 pm

Aunt Jemima was a real person. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/95732637/nancy-green

Cream of Wheat dude? real person. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19893239/frank-l.-white

That's impressive you have the energy for both volcanic outrage as well as pedantry, that's always a great combo.

Brands will continue to update their products to suit changing tastes for a new generation of kids and a new generation of parents. They can either do that or be relegated to the history section. I know which I'd prefer if I was the owner of that intellectual property. Having the free advertising and oxygen and the 24/7 mind space from the right wing rage machine seems to be this new era's added bonus. Whoever in the marketing department coming up with this stuff deserves a promotion. I heard the sale of Dr. Seuss's books both old and new alike have skyrocketed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 6:01 pm

That's impressive you have the energy for both volcanic outrage as well as pedantry, that's always a great combo.

Indeed, I have my moments. And PLENTY of energy.

I’m just hoping that nobody decides to ‘cancel’ my high school’s “Trojan” mascot because somebody might be offended about a condom connotation.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/07/21 at 6:22 pm

Back in the 1980's, generic food and drink products were popular for a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USDi0gP3lNw

They'd might as well just get rid of brand names altogether and make everything generic to eliminate the possibility that someone might get offended.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 7:08 pm

They'd might as well just get rid of brand names altogether and make everything generic to eliminate the possibility that someone might get offended.  ::)

I always buy generic.  :)

Example... I buy those single-serve microwaveable Mac & cheese thingies for lunch at work.

While I could afford to buy the Cracker Barrel. brand at 4 for $4.99, instead I buy the generic stuff which is priced at 4 for $2.99.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/21 at 7:36 pm

That reminds me of the products in the classic 80s film "Repo Man". They all looked exactly like that.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/07/21 at 7:54 pm

We had those generic plain white box products in the grocery store in the 80s. By the 90s they were gone. Replaced with other cheap brands that had colorful boxes, but some of it tasted worse than the white box stuff.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/08/21 at 10:28 am

You mean when the Federal building was attacked in Portland? ???  Or when our elected President refused to enforce the immigration laws that were enacted by our duly elected representatives in both the Legislative and Executive branches?

The Portland incident was not an attempt to overthrow the constitution, and Biden simply reversed Trump's exec orders.  Both issues that need resolving for sure, but nothing like the white nationalist/supremacist threat identified by the FBI and justice dept.  You are engaging in false equivalences

Written By: Howard on 03/08/21 at 2:42 pm

The Aunt Jemima character is based on the enslaved "Mammy" archetype, Uncle Ben was based on an African American male wearing a bow tie, and also The Cream of Wheat guy is /was a real person.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/10/21 at 11:09 pm

:( :( :( Awwww....does dis Trumper has da sadzz?  :\'( :\'( :\'(
  ??? ??? ??? No more MAGAs? Awwww  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/12/21 at 3:34 am

Gonna give us "the talk?"  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/21 at 7:31 am

Actually, most plants both receive and produce pollen.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/12/21 at 9:25 am

Actually, most plants both receive and produce pollen.

Somebody needs to give me "the talk".  ;D  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/12/21 at 11:17 pm

I wonder if anyone here who is upset about capitalism changing product images to satisfy changing opinions and demographics are as upset about the stratospheric rising income inequality, mass incarcerations, privacy invasion by the government, and genocides across the globe.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/13/21 at 10:29 am

I wonder if anyone here who is upset about capitalism changing product images to satisfy changing opinions and demographics are as upset about the stratospheric rising income inequality, mass incarcerations, privacy invasion by the government, and genocides across the globe.

Yes, much more than brand changes

Written By: Sman12 on 03/17/21 at 5:19 pm

This is misleading. They still have Mr. and Mrs. Potato head for sale, the difference is the Potato Heads has more forms of gender expression and includes more items for customization in a single box. Reactionaries are outraging for no reason.

Well, you got me fooled. My bad.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/21 at 5:38 pm

Not sure about “mass incarcerations” here in Pennsylvania. We are shutting down prisons left and right.

Now that said, I have zero sympathy for somebody who ends up in the slam because they were selling drugs. Anybody who sells drugs (e.g., death) to his fellow man deserves to be locked down. The concept of the “nonviolent drug dealer” is a non-starter for me.  If you’re selling death to desperate addicts, that is about as violent as it gets.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/18/21 at 10:30 am

Not sure about “mass incarcerations” here in Pennsylvania. We are shutting down prisons left and right.

Now that said, I have zero sympathy for somebody who ends up in the slam because they were selling drugs. Anybody who sells drugs (e.g., death) to his fellow man deserves to be locked down. The concept of the “nonviolent drug dealer” is a non-starter for me.  If you’re selling death to desperate addicts, that is about as violent as it gets.

I can agree with this one, but locking up people for marijuana is ridiculous

Check for new replies or respond here...