inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think 90s nostalgia will really take off in this decade?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 03/03/21 at 5:20 pm

Decade nostalgia is always around, but it seems to be at its peak 30 years after the fact.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Do you think 90s nostalgia will really take off in this decade?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/03/21 at 6:03 pm

I personally don't think it will...but I could be wrong.

Written By: xenzue on 03/03/21 at 8:27 pm

You might get a few 90s inspired pop culture events here and there, but the heyday of 90s nostalgia is over I think. Gen Z is obsessed with “Y2K” now, and hyperpop is slowly going mainstream, we’re now entering the 2000s nostalgia phase.

Mid/late 2000s inspired culture is bubbling in the underground with Drain Gang, PC Music, and other Alt pop-influenced artists (Charli XCX, Ayesha Erotica, Oklou, Sega Bodega, etc.) drawing influences from internet culture of the mid to late 2000s. Think Britney Spears’ Blackout or Fergie’s The Dutchess, Japanese pop culture in the 00s, 2000s Eurotrance, technological optimism, and 6th and 7th generation gaming to name a few. They’re melding that with current trends. It’s extremely exciting to say the least.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/04/21 at 11:21 pm

90s nostalgia is far from over. AAA literally just came out with a commercial set to the tune of "All My Life" by Kci and Jojo. Geico has Tag Team (Scoop There It Is!) Cheetos has MC Hammer and Mark Saul. Kenan channeled Pierre Escargot at the Golden Globes, and his new sitcom featured a show-within-the-show that was aesthetically similar to Kenan & Kel.

Paramount Plus is trying to attract Generation X-ers with 90s material, including a Real World original cast reunion, Beavis and Butthead, and resurrecting a few old MTV and VH1 shows. There's also the Framing Britney Spears documentary, albeit it was about her conservatorship. And Nickelodeon has revived several of its shows, including currently All That (on Covid break?) and Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Besides, I need time to make my 90s American Graffiti-esque film.

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/05/21 at 3:08 pm

80s nostalgia will be king this decade.

90s was last decade.

90s will probably stick around but 80s will be dominant with a lil 2000s intertwined.

The success of Blinding Lights has changed music culture and more 80s inspired synth pop aesthetic music will result from it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/05/21 at 3:14 pm

Right now we're entering another wave of Early 90's nostalgia mixed with Late 80's (after all that is pretty much one singular era), with everything from Saved by the Bell reboot to Sonic the Hedgehog and Waynes World, as well as sequels to movies like Bill and Ted and Coming to America.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/06/21 at 1:30 am

I honestly don't know what will come after the day most people stop wearing masks in public. However, I feel like 80s nostalgia needs to die down. Blinding Lights is just proof that there are aspects of the 80s that are more enduring than some people would like to be the case. 80s nostalgia has had a blinding day in the sun for too long.

Check for new replies or respond here...