inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gen Z Tries to Cancel Eminem

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/06/21 at 8:18 pm

Gen Z tries to cancel Eminem, hero of an earlier generation:

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.60884/title.eminem-trends-on-twitter-after-gen-z-tries-to-cancel-him-on-tiktok-millennials-fight-back#signup

Subject: Re: Gen Z Tries to Cancel Eminem

Written By: Ripley on 03/07/21 at 2:59 pm

Seriously??? 😩I’m so sick of this cancel culture! Eminem is cool dude.

Written By: wixness on 03/07/21 at 3:09 pm

Pockets of Gen Z at least are getting sick of celebrity culture enough though, if there's one good thing to take from this; namely, if you're sick of the poor quality "journalism" that news outlets give out sometimes, you'll no longer have that when there's no celebrities left to fawn over and no one will be viewed as being beyond criticism. I want to thank radical movements on websites like Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram and elsewhere playing a part. I think much of Gen Z hates how equality don't seem to be applied at all for the rich and only done so to gain a profit.

Personally I don't care too much since hip hop isn't really my thing and I tend to follow sounds over artists.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/21 at 4:05 pm

And Bruno Mars has had to defend himself against cultural appropriation accusations:

www.cnn.com/2021/03/07/entertainment/bruno-mars-cultural-appropriation-breakfast-club-trnd/index.html

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 4:13 pm

And Bruno Mars has had to defend himself against cultural appropriation accusations:

www.cnn.com/2021/03/07/entertainment/bruno-mars-cultural-appropriation-breakfast-club-trnd/index.html

How about that. I always thought he was black.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/21 at 4:13 pm

I think much of Gen Z hates how equality don't seem to be applied at all for the rich and only done so to gain a profit.

I think much of EVERYBODY hates that. That all started in the 80s when Reagan legitimized greed. We, as a society, have never recovered from it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 4:53 pm

I think much of EVERYBODY hates that. That all started in the 80s when Reagan legitimized greed. We, as a society, have never recovered from it.

VVxYOQS6ggk

Written By: wixness on 03/07/21 at 6:17 pm

About half of us Gen Z are trying to dig ourselves out of this world that he's created (I hope you can urinate on his grave some day or do something to make others listen, I'm relying on others with the motivation and resources right now to fight the system); the other half are well invested in his creation.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/21 at 7:03 pm

About half of us Gen Z are trying to dig ourselves out of this world that he's created (I hope you can urinate on his grave some day or do something to make others listen, I'm relying on others with the motivation and resources right now to fight the system); the other half are well invested in his creation.

And yet in the 33 years since RWR was in office, we’ve had 16 years of Democrat presidents (Clinton, O’bama) who apparently were powerless to reverse whatever it was that Reagan allegedly put into place.

Sheesh. It’s a wonder you guys aren’t carping about Richard F. Nixon and Dwight Eisenhower.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/07/21 at 7:39 pm

Sheesh. It’s a wonder you guys aren’t carping about Richard F. Nixon and Dwight Eisenhower.

What does the "F" stand for???  ???

Or do I even need to ask?  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/21 at 7:40 pm

And yet in the 33 years since RWR was in office, we’ve had 16 years of Democrat presidents (Clinton, O’bama) who apparently were powerless to reverse whatever it was that Reagan allegedly put into place.

Don't get me started on Tricky Dick Nixon...

The 80s greed thing would have happened with or without Reagan, he just put a good face on it. There's no real way to stop it now. The rich get richer and the rest of us get poorer/sorer.

Eisenhower was actually a cool guy. He was the one that warned us about the "military-industrial complex". And he was a general and a president, so he knew.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/21 at 7:42 pm

What does the "F" stand for???  ???

Or do I even need to ask?  ;D

I think he was being funny. It's Richard Milhous Nixon.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/08/21 at 10:25 am

Jesus, seriously?  I'm not a big fan of Em, but the Zoomers that are apparently trying to "cancel" a seminal pop culture icon has to be one of the cringiest things I've ever seen. Dude had multiple controversies about him apparently being homophobic and sexist even though they're false (e.g., the 2001 Grammy Awards "Stan" performance with Elton John and his admiration of his daughter Hailie) and he still came out on top of everything.

Obviously not all of Gen Z is like this, but this whole episode is just embarrassing.

Written By: wixness on 03/08/21 at 12:21 pm

Jesus, seriously?  I'm not a big fan of Em, but the Zoomers that are apparently trying to "cancel" a seminal pop culture icon has to be one of the cringiest things I've ever seen. Dude had multiple controversies about him apparently being homophobic and sexist even though they're false (e.g., the 2001 Grammy Awards "Stan" performance with Elton John and his admiration of his daughter Hailie) and he still came out on top of everything.

Obviously not all of Gen Z is like this, but this whole episode is just embarrassing.
They've cancelled R. Kelly but I'm not sure what redeeming qualities he's had and I don't know if Gen Z even liked him (I think me and other Gen Z would have considered it dated).

Written By: violet_shy on 03/08/21 at 1:40 pm

Well, Gen Z do have their own artists. Maybe that's why they are canceling all of these older artists they find them dated.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/21 at 2:15 pm

Pepe LePew has ben cancelled also:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pepe-le-pew-not-slated-for-future-warner-bros-television-projects

Written By: Howard on 03/08/21 at 2:32 pm

How about that. I always thought he was black.  ;D

I thought that same thing too.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/21 at 2:34 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pepe-le-pew-not-slated-for-future-warner-bros-television-projects

It's a French Talking Skunk for Christ sakes!  ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 03/08/21 at 5:24 pm

It's a French Talking Skunk for Christ sakes!  ::)

;D ;D ;D Lol.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/21 at 4:36 am

;D ;D ;D Lol.

I don't know why they're being such asshats!  ::)

Written By: wixness on 03/09/21 at 6:15 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDhKM8qWWBM
Remembering what I've seen from it, it is a constant case of breaking consent, even if there were no yeses or nos involved.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/10/21 at 5:06 pm

My nephews are 16 and 13 year olds. They listen to their own music artists. I don't say anything to them why would I? I just listen with them!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/10/21 at 6:06 pm

I doubt if Slim Shady cares about the wimps who would like to cancel him.  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/10/21 at 6:46 pm

Yes, growing up on the tough streets of Detroit, people trying to cancel him is no big deal. Might even make for some new material.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/10/21 at 10:40 pm

According to Gen Zers, this masquerade is a crock of scheiße.

For a bunch of people who hate the media, too many of ya'll buy into their manufactured social wars quite a bit.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/11/21 at 2:33 am

Yes, growing up on the tough streets of Detroit, people trying to cancel him is no big deal. Might even make for some new material.

I'm not really into Eminem but I hope he does write some new material about these cancel culture jerks. Knowing what I do about him, I know that he'd absolutely destroy them.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/11/21 at 4:21 am

He probably wouldn't care, he's pretty rich.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/12/21 at 3:26 am

Seriously??? 😩I’m so sick of this cancel culture! Eminem is cool dude.

I know right! People need to stop with the pearl clutching and get over it. Since when was rap NOT vulgar?

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/12/21 at 3:30 am

Well, Gen Z do have their own artists. Maybe that's why they are canceling all of these older artists they find them dated.

Dated or not, they need to get over it. People in our age group had to hear whatever older music got played on the radio, they can stream music and listen to literally only what they want to hear, I don't see how this is a problem.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/12/21 at 5:21 am

I know right! People need to stop with the pearl clutching and get over it. Since when was rap NOT vulgar?

Feminist women love Eminem.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/21 at 7:14 am

40 years ago?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 03/16/21 at 11:49 am

Let them try  ::)

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/16/21 at 5:52 pm

FFFAAAAKKKKEEE  MANUFAAACCCTURED    DRAAAAMMMMAAA

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/16/21 at 6:12 pm

FFFAAAAKKKKEEE  MANUFAAACCCTURED    DRAAAAMMMMAAA

Not quite correct. These people who go around trying to cancel everybody for every little perceived slight are serious about it. And it does real damage. Ask Roseanne Barr. Or Aziz Ansari who did nothing more than go on a date that turned awkward. He isn't Harvey Weinstein. Eminem may be "too big to fail" but the cancel warriors don't stop with him.

Written By: 2001 on 03/16/21 at 7:09 pm

Not quite correct. These people who go around trying to cancel everybody for every little perceived slight are serious about it. And it does real damage. Ask Roseanne Barr. Or Aziz Ansari who did nothing more than go on a date that turned awkward. He isn't Harvey Weinstein. Eminem may be "too big to fail" but the cancel warriors don't stop with him.

It is fake. Cancel was a part of gay and black lexicon before it morphed into "cancel culture". The one person on Twitter who broke the Internet by talking about cancelling Eminem actually used the word correctly. Of course older Millennials and straight people only know the one definition of cancel they heard on Facbeook/Fox News/etc. ran with it and blew it out of proportion. And of course there are always people around to click on topical sharebait and the rest is history.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/16/21 at 8:02 pm

Roseanne Barr...she may or may not be racist but I believe she definitely got fired because the cast, crew, and producers didn't like her and wanted any reason to get rid of her. Being canceled wasn't her issue.

Aziz wasn't canceled. In fact, there are so many op-eds and normies who defended him. Aziz Ansari decided to lie low until the media storm blew over. Ansari very much continues to have a career

Written By: Howard on 03/17/21 at 3:46 pm

Roseanne Barr...she may or may not be racist but I believe she definitely got fired because the cast, crew, and producers didn't like her and wanted any reason to get rid of her. Being canceled wasn't her issue.

Aziz wasn't canceled. In fact, there are so many op-eds and normies who defended him. Aziz Ansari decided to lie low until the media storm blew over. Ansari very much continues to have a career

Didn't Roseanne say something about Trump? ???

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/21 at 8:02 pm

Didn't Roseanne say something about Trump? ???

I think she described a mixed-race black/brown politician as a child of a terrorist and an ape.

I was not sad to see her go tbh.

Check for new replies or respond here...