inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rap-Rock - The New Music Genre of the 2020s

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/21 at 3:56 pm

nMVFSwfV6wk

nzalnIKug94

This and retro pop is what is defining the sound of the early 2020s. It's time for folks to realize we are not in the late 2010s anymore. At least not where music is concerned.

Subject: Re: Rap-Rock - The New Music Genre of the 2020s

Written By: violet_shy on 03/17/21 at 4:00 pm

Oh....that's interesting. I like it. And, I like the cussing! Haha ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/21 at 4:07 pm

Oh....that's interesting. I like it. And, I like the cussing! Haha ;D

I don't mind it because at least it's different but I hope it won't be a quick passing fad like dancehall was in 2016. I hope it will have the same dominance as trap had in the late 2010s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/17/21 at 4:27 pm

To me it doesn’t sound any different than what’s been on the radio for a long time.

When I read the title Rap Rock I was hoping for a throwback to something like this.

ZG_k5CSYKhg

Or maybe this.

Mr_uHJPUlO8

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/21 at 7:39 pm

To me it doesn’t sound any different than what’s been on the radio for a long time.

When I read the title Rap Rock I was hoping for a throwback to something like this.

ZG_k5CSYKhg

Or maybe this.

Mr_uHJPUlO8

It's just the modern, over-produced pop version of that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/21 at 5:49 pm

The old school guys like Dre, Dogg, Ice Cube, 2 Live Crew, and even Em would chew these wimps up and spit them out.  ::)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/19/21 at 8:37 am

Neither of these songs struck me as rock *or* rap. They both seem pop to me, especially since they're played on pop radio. "Mood" comes the closest to rap, though. Both songs are decent-to-good.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/21 at 9:25 am

These still sound so old fuddy duddy. I'm surprised people settle for this stuff. If I were young I'd be clamoring for something new and not this same old mumsy stuff. Where is the innovation?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/21 at 9:33 am

Neither of these songs struck me as rock *or* rap. They both seem pop to me, especially since they're played on pop radio. "Mood" comes the closest to rap, though. Both songs are decent-to-good.

If you go on the Wikipedia page for the song Mood the genre is defined as "Rock Rap". That's where I got the term from.

Written By: Emman on 03/19/21 at 10:40 am

These still sound so old fuddy duddy. I'm surprised people settle for this stuff. If I were young I'd be clamoring for something new and not this same old mumsy stuff. Where is the innovation?

This is being claimed as a new genre of the 2020s, rap rock has been done since the mid 1980s, it was hugely popular during my teenage years in the late 1990s and early 2000s. There is no innovation, the young people clamoring for safe spaces, trigger warnings, and wokeness are not the generation that is going to be artistically and culturally creative. They settle for corporate bs but pretend they are challenging historical power structures. ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/21 at 10:54 am

This is being claimed as a new genre of the 2020s, rap rock has been done since the mid 1980s, it was hugely popular during my teenage years in the late 1990s and early 2000s. There is no innovation, the young people clamoring for safe spaces, trigger warnings, and wokeness are not the generation that is going to be artistically and culturally creative. They settle for corporate bs but pretend they are challenging historical power structures. ;D

Unfortunately true. Innovation often requires danger, the unknown, and most certainly the risk of rejection. It can also be offensive and step on toes. That is not allowed today. The society that has "cancel culture" can't really have "innovation" in the creative arts. They are kind of mutually exclusive. That's why all the innovation in recent years has ben in tech and not in the arts.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/19/21 at 11:41 am

Tone Loc was the OG of rap-rock.  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=387ZDGSKVSg

Written By: wixness on 03/19/21 at 1:34 pm

Unfortunately true. Innovation often requires danger, the unknown, and most certainly the risk of rejection. It can also be offensive and step on toes. That is not allowed today. The society that has "cancel culture" can't really have "innovation" in the creative arts. They are kind of mutually exclusive. That's why all the innovation in recent years has ben in tech and not in the arts.
I disagree; I think that a lot of music since the 2010s has become incredibly bland as a side effect of wanting to sound more "authentic" or whatever. I think the reason music may be bland these days may be because no one these days really likes the aggressive sound of rock music (rock as of recent hasn't done a good job of being very diverse both with its demographics and hasn't been very fresh with its sound too). People also tend to pay more attention to the lyrics of a song which is how Shake It Off even got popular (sounds terrible, like it was hastily composed, despite its good message).

I do feel like the lack of something sounding aggressive to me signifies complicity with the system, which is how songs like Born This Way could still be played in anti-LGBT nations, even if censored, just because it sounded great. Then again after reading about Metallica's recent DMCA debacle with Twitch and music livestreaming, it has woken me up to realize that those behind such "aggressive" sounding music are also part of the problem. The music industry as a whole has been terrible, more so now they changed people's music listening habits immensely from the turn of the 2010s.

At the same time though I don't enjoy listening to punk or anything politically oriented because I just feel angry I can't do anything about it (I can't even listen to American Idiot because yes, it talks about how messed up America is). One of the few exceptions is songs like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhTo_k4cumk

Rap rock isn't new (this song with profanity can be an example of this).

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/21 at 2:17 pm

There's generic pop songs every year whether it's 2021 or 1971, it's not indicative of everything else.

I'm far from hip wid it but a lot of songs nowadays are slow, quiet, atmospheric, which is nothing like I've heard being popular before, and plenty innovative. Obviously if you listen to Top 40 songs on the radio they're going to sound exactly like that: safe, formulaic, familiar, repayable songs manufactured for top 40. People listen to Blinding Lights and think all songs sound like that-- it appeals to everybody, catchy hook, very familiar (80s). Perfect for maximizing advertisement $$$ for shareholders, that's what these iHeartRadio stations live on. "corporate bs" as you said.

Then you pick up the album and it sounds like this

ygTZZpVkmKg

6 minutes long, no discernable chorus, quiet, different pace throughout the song. It's the title song for one of the best selling albums of 2020 and has 263 million streams on Spotify, and you won't hear it on Top 40 radio.

The forum's obsession with top 40 billboard takes "If a tree falls in the forest and I'm not around to hear it, then it didn't make a sound" to a whole new level.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/21 at 2:23 pm

The forum's obsession with top 40 billboard takes "If a tree falls in the forest and I'm not around to hear it, then it didn't make a sound" to a whole new level.

;D  ;D O0

That's kind of the first thing I noticed when I came here some time ago. On the other hand, there have been times in the past (most specifically the 1960s) when even the top 40 was wildly diverse and innovative.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/19/21 at 5:01 pm

I mean it could be. But then there's 2022 and 2023.... I'm sure many in March 1991 couldn't have predicted what was to come by the end of that year.

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/21 at 12:22 am

Rap Rock goes back to the 80s with Run DMC

Written By: temaichi on 03/21/21 at 10:59 am

The title for this topic got me too exited but the videoes you linked are not it... They do not sound anything like Rap-Rock.
Here is an example of modern rap rock music! There are only a few artists doing it right and this dude is one of them!

E2PjR_oRLuY

Written By: Slim95 on 03/21/21 at 12:19 pm

The title for this topic got me too exited but the videoes you linked are not it... They do not sound anything like Rap-Rock.
Here is an example of modern rap rock music! There are only a few artists doing it right and this dude is one of them!

E2PjR_oRLuY

Again, if you read the Wikipedia for the song the genre is defined as Rap Rock. I didn't make it up lol.

Written By: temaichi on 03/21/21 at 2:36 pm

Again, if you read the Wikipedia for the song the genre is defined as Rap Rock. I didn't make it up lol.

Yeah, i just checked. The song is more Pop Rap then Rap Rock though. The first thing that comes in mind when i think about Rap Rock is heavy guitar driven melodies and a rapper spitting bars on top of that. Great example would be Limp Bizkit!

If you have a close look at the Wiki page for "Mood" they also explain what type of Rap Rock it is. They say it was inspired by Indie Rock and Trap music and it sorta makes sense if they were to explain it that way but to call it straight out "Rap Rock" would be strange...

There are different types of Rap Rock music but this is more like "Indie Pop Rap" if anything. Rap Rock is known to be loud.
With that being said, not everything on Wiki is totally correct. I have looked up singles before with incorrect genres listed on the Wiki page. I am not sure if you are a fellow Rap Rock listener but this is not a new genre neither. It has been around since the 80s. This might be fresh for the generic trap listeners though. Very Pop-ish and melodic.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/21/21 at 3:03 pm

Yeah, i just checked. The song is more Pop Rap then Rap Rock though. The first thing that comes in mind when i think about Rap Rock is heavy guitar driven melodies and a rapper spitting bars on top of that. Great example would be Limp Bizkit!

If you have a close look at the Wiki page for "Mood" they also explain what type of Rap Rock it is. They say it was inspired by Indie Rock and Trap music and it sorta makes sense if they were to explain it that way but to call it straight out "Rap Rock" would be strange...

There are different types of Rap Rock music but this is more like "Indie Pop Rap" if anything. Rap Rock is known to be loud.
With that being said, not everything on Wiki is totally correct. I have looked up singles before with incorrect genres listed on the Wiki page. I am not sure if you are a fellow Rap Rock listener but this is not a new genre neither. It has been around since the 80s. This might be fresh for the generic trap listeners though. Very Pop-ish and melodic.

K chill lol

Written By: xenzue on 03/28/21 at 12:45 am

There is plenty of innovation in the arts today, the problem is most of the innovation exists in the underground and will hardly resurface to the mainstream, so most people will assume nothing has changed in pop music since 2015, when in reality if you look deeper under the hood, the biggest cultural/generational shift in pop music since the 1990s is about to happen.

You have the hyper-innovative collective of PC music and their descendants: Hyperpop. The aesthetic is extra vibrant, futuristic, abrasive, glossy, metallic, queer, and can be very optimistic/escapist in nature, a direct opposite of the previous torchbearer of pop music of the late 2010s: soundcloud trap.

You then have Drain Gang and their descendants. Very briefly, it can sometimes be like a crossover of hyperpop with cloud rap, this form of music will probably the first to crossover to the mainstream. It’s like if trap music were fueled by ecstasy instead of lean and the key went from minor to major with Europop influences.

Then there’s gen z indiepop scene (formally known as bedroom pop because nowadays all music is bedroom pop). This one is all over the place. I would say these aren’t descended from anyone in particular, but they do have a lineage to 2000s indie rock, 90s dream pop, shorgaze, late 80s college rock, 70s funk, Prince, and also some contemporary influences like AM or Frank Ocean.

A very recent one, you have a new rising scene who draw their influences from acts like Britney Spears to Autecre or Arca. It’s a hyper-feminine sound reminiscent of Britney Spears’ Blackout album, only except it has a lot more edge and grit. It sounds like what people in the year 2000 would think 2030s pop music is. There isn’t really a name for this, but it might be known as Y2K pop.

There’s many more rising music scenes which i’ve observed over the past 2–3 years and an exciting one is the merger of R&B, DnB, and Art Pop, along with other international styles.

Afropop is another very exciting one, with many breakout artists already getting recognition from press outside Africa.

Check for new replies or respond here...